Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

BassDropper's picture

You think it's funny that a guy lost his job? 

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I mean if we were talking about a single mother losing her office job no not funny. 

This is a case of the Browns organization being funny more so than poor Brandon Weeden, and poor Jason Campbell. (Millionaires)

+11 HS
BassDropper's picture

I mean if we were talking about a single mother losing her office job no not funny. 

This is a case of the Browns organization being funny more so than poor Brandon Weeden, and poor Jason Campbell. (Millionaires)

Yea, but those millionaires have millionaire bills they have to take care of. People don't realize how easy it is for a former NFL/NBA player to go bankrupt and lose everything they earned after their playing days are over. As much as I hate Brandon Weeden-the football player, I don't want to see any person go through that struggle.

DIRECTIONER

-4 HS
BroJim's picture

If you're a millionaire with "millionaire bills" and can't pay for said bills than you have mishandled your privilege. You're right,far too many people enter
the leagues financially uneducated, but they all have agents and
opportunities to save and invest their millions.
What millionaire does not have access to banking or some type of financial expert? If they go broke it's a negligent use of their privilege.

I season my simple food with hunger

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

The millionaire bills are their fault. Nobody makes them buy expensive cars, houses, gadgets and what not. Yes if you blow all your money on expensive champagne and women then you'll go broke. Still not seeing why I'm going to feel bad for a guy who oh by the way got a free college education. If he can't get a backup gig somewhere then he still has a degree, and can do things with his life.

I'm not buying one iota of your argument.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Patrick Ewing, is that you?

Just say no to italics abuse.

Go1Bucks's picture

I find it funny that Weeden ever had an NFL job at all.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Give Weeden a break - I think he's 42

+6 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

How did I know you were going to be the one with a witty comeback remark on this one.  lol.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Cause I got nothing better to do here on the west coast then to amuse myself. Life is grand!

A couple year ago Weedens one knock was that he was an old rookie - the Browns brass kept selling us that he was more experienced and more mature. Guess that didn't work out to well for us or him.

Go1Bucks's picture

I find it fun staying up late and being on here SL, knowing we will get the comments from the West while we would normally be asleep.

So true! You can teach an old dog a new trick, but it doesn't mean he can perform it.  I would love to know who actually made the decision to pick him, when everyone in Cleveland was screaming not to.  We Clevelanders really are due for a good year.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Not celebrating until it's made official on Monday. Laugh all you want, but I hated this pick from the beginning. It was needed.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

PittBuckeye's picture

Everyone hated the pick, it made no sense then, and still doesn't. You're a young hopefully improving team, and you draft an old rookie QB. That pick would have made sense as a shot in the dark for a good team with a good QB, IN THE THIRD ROUND.

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

You're a young hopefully improving team, and you draft an old rookie QB.

Wasn't that the plot of Necessary Roughness?

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Yeah, but they had Kathy Ireland standing around to forget their woes.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+6 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

Even the US flag recorded a sack on Weeden...

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+14 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

Now that's a funny remark...

Seattle Linga's picture

where was this speed when he saw the defenders coming?

Hovenaut's picture

Sounds like it's time to bust out the marker again:

Hate Week runneth over

+16 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Yeah, this needs last year's additions of Hoyer and Campbell, giving the Browns 19 different starting QB's since coming back in 99.

+1 HS
Phoenix824's picture

The only list longer than this in football is the Browns Head Coach List during the same time frame

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Who would've thought that he wouldn't have worked out?

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+4 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

well I am not a browns fan so there is a caveat.

I didn't think he would work out as much as I thought he was good value to use at the pick, especially with the way the browns QBs were currently. McCoy was awful!

I also thought he would be okay with some decent talent around him, but other than Gordon that wasn't the fact either. I was wrong although I still think I was more right about him being a serviceable starter on a good team than people who thought it was a good idea for the Browns to trade UP (and a bunch of picks) to get Trent Richardson. I knew that pick was stupid from the beginning whether Trent would have been good or not.

to be honest, I think they both screwed each other. It was a horrible running game (and piss poor pass blocking by TR) that didn't help Weeden as well as a lack of a consistent passing game to open up running lanes.

and firing a head coach every 6 months doesn't help either! So I wouldn't put it all on Weeden, although I wouldn't want him on my team.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

Go1Bucks's picture

Have to disagree with you regarding McCoy (including some of the other past QBs), he was never given the opportunity to succeed, which is typical of the Browns for years.  A QB graveyard, with out an offensive line or offensive playmakers.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
alust2013's picture

Totally agree with you. I think McCoy was decent, but with a bad line and below average receivers, he wasn't going to get it done. I'm not saying he would have set the world on fire, but I think he is probably the best of the QBs they have had in the past few years.

...and _ichigan still sucks.

+2 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

You sir hit the nail on the head.  The QB position of course receives the most scrutiny of all positions, but in Cleveland's case it is unwarranted to attempt to asses supposed "poor QB play" when they are on their butts or running for their lives most games... and this statement goes all the way back to 99 when we did "Browns take 2".

In recent years the O-line has come a long way, are we there yet, no.  Almost?  Yes. 

BREAK

Who are the new QB's going to be?

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

Suck-Et Conference (SEC) sucks.

Go1Bucks's picture

I think that Hoyer will start, we will draft one, pick one up in free agency and have Tanney as an extra to see what happens when practice starts.  Hoyer could be supplanted by a free agent veteran, but unless that guy knows the offense or is stellar, it won't be right away.  Draft potential is good this year, irregardless of what the "experts" say.  Love to see us get Bortles and/or Guiton/McCarron.  Guess we will see.  Gonna be a hoot.

Go Bucks!

Bolt's picture

Now watch them do Brownsiest thing I can think of and sign Josh Freeman.

+6 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Two words: Jon Kitna.

+3 HS
Phoenix824's picture

Brett Farve may be available.... Kitna could back him up.....   I heard both are tearing it up in a over 70 league. 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kitna is a local HC at his high school Alma Mater - his son is supposed to be amazing. Always liked him as a pro!!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

The leaked free agency board has Rex Grossman on it. Sigh....

lamplighter's picture

not the worst 1st round pick the Brownies have ever made, (there are so many), but this ranks up there

BassDropper's picture

I think it's the worst

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

It should say something that we could sit here and debate which pick is worst lol

Thats like comparing which way would be best to die

Lets just agree that Weeden certainly wasn't the best

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Too much coke while trapped on a dessert island with hollywood starlets who have all lost their clothing. That's how I wana go.

+5 HS
Ashtabula's picture

Extra whip cream on your dessert island for those hollywood starlets...with sprinkles?

+3 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

trent richardson easily. You traded multiple picks to move up 1 spot to get a player who everyone else just knew was going to fall to you anyways. The only redeeming facter over the Weeden pick was that you got a first from Indy back. Other than that, it was so much of a worse pick. Especially since it was at #3 and not down in the 20's.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS
sharks's picture

As a rookie he ran for 950 yards and scored 11 touchdowns.  His ypc was awful, and the Browns divested themselves when it became clear that was his ceiling.

Weeden was awful, but any answer other than "Mike Junkin" is categorically incorrect.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
lamplighter's picture

Arrgh - I truly tried to forget that one.  But then there's always Big Money, Cliffiord Charlton and  William Green to fall back on.  Mike Phipps anyone?

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

worst 1st round pick the Brownies have ever made

For now.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Wait until they double down this year.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

both moves had to be made. Those QBs would even be questionable choices for back up. 

45OH4IO's picture

Saw the Browns play the Redskins when Kirk Cousins was in for RG3. When the other team's 22 year old backup outplays your 30 year old starter, you've got a problem. Turrible pick. They should've just traded that pick for Tebow and at least gotten some media hype for all of their losses. But hope springs eternal.

+1 HS
northwoods buckeye's picture

I had hoped the Browns would have taken Cousins or Russell Wilson in the second/third rounds that year after all the big name QBs were off the board. They're both solid QBs with much more future upside than RG3 (I'll start calling him Michael Vick 2 soon). I think AJ McCarron is a similar QB this year, and would be a good option for the Browns, allowing them to use the early picks to get more playmakers (Watkins).

Conan! What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

+1 HS
45OH4IO's picture

I wonder if the Browns are going to draft a QB this year?!?!

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

7th round, Kenny Guiton.

+6 HS
buckeyehub's picture

If Browns draft KG13 in the 7th round and start him, along with picking up some lineman, I wouldn't question it a bit.

“Anyone can run the option. I can run the option.” - Urban Meyer
Let's beat the snot out of *ichigan.

+5 HS
Daddypete's picture

Too late...The Patriots will take him in the 6th round and in 5 years (when Brady has been retired for 2 years) he will be an all-pro QB for them. At Cleveland, he would start his first game as a rookie, show flashes of brilliance and get hurt before the season is over, never getting a chance to develop into the player he could be. How do I know all of this...easy...I'm a Bengal's fan!!!

"Stand and Deliver!"

+3 HS
buckeyehub's picture

I'm all for his success, and if that were to happen with the Pats id still be quite happy. But all we can do is imagine the possibilities that will never happen with the Browns, and wish it could or could have happened here!

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

This is a thing of beauty. 

WezBuck28's picture

With the 4th overall pick in the 2014 draft, the Cleveland browns select...wait..wtf!?!...is this for real? The Cleveland browns have actually elected to.. skip..the first round..can you do that??

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Finally!  I have been advocating this 10 seconds after they picked his ass.  Campbell is the icing on the cake.  Now maybe we cann move forward, draft well and get a winning season.

Go Browns!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
tussey's picture

Great, I guess this means they are going to take a Qb for sure early in the draft.  I can't wait for this process to repeat itself in this years draft.  IMHO none of the Qbs coming out that will be taken in the first round will be franchise Qbs.  

ab1993's picture

I agree with you on that. I think Aaron Murray has the most potential, along with AJ McCarron and possibly Mettenberger.

tussey's picture

I'm fine with them taking one of those guys in the a middle round.  But something tells me they will reach again with their 4th pick or do something even dumber and trade up (like they did to get t-rich).

mobboss1984's picture

Aj, no mattenberger yes! Murray would be the best choice.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

kwaz50's picture

We almost have to take a QB with our 4th pick now.  Kind of leaning towards Bortles right now over Bridgewater and Manziel but we'll see what happens.  WOOF!

buckeyehub's picture

Kenny Guiton

PittBuckeye's picture

I think beyond a shadow of a doubt Bortles would be the pick. He won't be there at 4 though.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Take it away Ari...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
GABuckeye's picture

Seriously get the fuck out... don't even grab a bagel!

1MechEng's picture

I'm still in the camp that the 4th pick is Watkins.

Use the other first rounder or a second/third and get Murray and/or McCarron. Have a rookie QB competition.

Oh, and don't forget to grab Carlos Hyde somewhere along the way ...

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

McCarron would be like throwing an entire gas station on a dumpster fire are you kidding?

+1 HS
Dr. House's picture

i remember when weeden was picked being super pissed off at a wasted draft pick. sigh 

Seattle Linga's picture

This is getting good - keep the train rolling.

buckeyestu's picture

Glad to see Weeden gone. Would like to see Bortles or Teddy drafted and then grab Carlos. Looks like the Browns picked up some good players today, glad to see Whitner signing on.

+1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

Teddy Bridgewater would be a good pick, but besides the win against a bad florida (had good defense). He had alot of easy wins under his belt. That can hurt you as a quarterback in the nfl. Blake Bortles seem pretty solid.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

alust2013's picture

I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot and pick a QB at #4. None of the QBs in the draft look that good. I'd go Sammy Watkins, then maybe a QB with the next pick or in the 2nd round. But, knowing Cleveland, it will be a QB with their first pick.

...and _ichigan still sucks.

+1 HS
northwoods buckeye's picture

Totally agree. The three other SEC QBs would be good picks in the 2/3 rounds. 

Conan! What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Curt Heinrichs's picture

If Hoyer goes out with an injury this year, I'm predicting an offense exclusively featuring the Wildcat. They'll call it the Dawg Pound (patent pending) and it'll revolutionize the NFL. You heard it here first. 

chili96's picture

The way is paved for Troy Smith's return.

+3 HS
LealmanBuckeye's picture

Is Don Strock available?

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nope - just signed back with the Dolphins -- too little too late

BroJim's picture

Good grief, being a Cleveland fan will never be easy.

I season my simple food with hunger