Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

D.Revis to Browns? Whitner reportedly already a Brown

danbrown7665's picture
March 11, 2014 at 11:07am
29 Comments

Why it should happen:

1. Browns need a corner and Bucs will likely release Revis.

2. Browns have 51 million in cap space

3. He would create legit buzz around the Browns

4. Revis + Haden = shutdown planet

Squirrel Master's picture

that would be nice but you need to make sure your team doesn't play the same defense that Tampa played because Revis was useless for them. Revis is a man cover corner, he sucks at zone!

Although if I were the Browns I would use that money to keep TJ Ward over Revis. Revis isn't the same anymore and for what he would cost I would prefer a 2nd round pick at corner and pay Ward who is younger and already knows the system. Having two great corners but bad safeties doesn't help either. Go ask the Cowboys with Carr and Claiborne and no decent safeties how their DBs do.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+5 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Browns are also looking at Whitner and Byrd for Safety. I would like to keep Ward but he will not know the system because its changing again.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

Squirrel Master's picture

Very true. Whitner would be a nice signing but only if there is another quality safety with him, I just don't see him being the sole good safety for you guys. I don't think Byrd is a good idea because if you are willing to pay Whitner and Revis, that is way too much money tied up into the backfield and especially since I see Haden demanding a decent paycheck soon too.

but then again it is the browns! Gotta get a decent draft pick for back there also because at some point Revis, Whitner and whatever else veteren they pull in is going to fade eventually. Getting those guys and not investing in youth would be putting a lot of eggs in one basket hoping that it will pay off quickly.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

FitzBuck's picture

Good points SM.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

kwaz50's picture

Ya I'm not so sure Revis is a good idea because he'll probably want another mega deal and he just isn't worth it.  I'd much rather see them put whitner and ward together for safties and draft a 2nd corner or hope that skrine can develop into a decent 2nd corner.  I'd like to see a lot of offense addressed in the draft because our defense is rock solid.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

He can't ask for a mega deal after last season, if he goes back to old Revis this year he'd be worth a huge deal.

Whoa Nellie's picture

How's Revis in the locker room?

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
sharks's picture

Skrine was much better than Revis last year.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

Furious George 27's picture

I didn't pay attention to Tampa Bay last season, but I assume he covered the other team's best WR. If that was the case, I don't think you can compare him to Skrine who didnt cover the best. Revis could blow it up if Haden is locking down the #1 WR.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

sbentz4's picture

Skrine was much better than Revis last year. There you go.

+5 HS
NoVA Buckeye's picture

Revis was rated the top corner on pro football focus or whatever that thing is called. And that's while being under 100%. Imagine if he was healthy

The offseason begins when your season ends. Even then there are no days off.

hit_the_couch's picture

They also have to pay his 16 or so million. I don't think a lot of teams are willing to do that. As awesome of a secondary as that would make, Browns still have no QB.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

The Browns need too many players at too many different positions to pay big bucks for one guy.

FROMTHE18's picture

Browns have concerns on both offense and defense. I think their defensive secondary is alright, especially with the reported addition of Whitner (although he gets flagged all over the place). any top shelf LBs out there for em?

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Super!  With Revis and wHitner in the fold, they just need to revamp 20 more spots on O and D collectively.

I'm not a Browns fan, per se, but as an Ohioan I would like to see them at least competitive and/or exciting...not just a laughing stock.  Regardless of if their moves work or not, it would be nice to see them at least try.

Bolt's picture

The cupboard isn't exactly completely bare. The defense has been solid the past few seasons. They managed 6 pro-bowlers this past season. The major glaring weaknesses are at QB, RB, and having another good WR. Those are pretty important for a functional offense. If they could bring in a decent to solid OG or two as well that would help. They've got a billion draft picks this year so hopefully they don't blow it entirely and can at least fill a couple of those gaps with solid young talent. Talent wise I think they already have some solid pieces to build off of and I don't think they're terribly far off in that respect...but the Browns being the Browns, they might as well be on the other side of the universe from the Super Bowl as far as my faith in the team goes.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Im not a Browns fan, but I feel like a better move would to sign Chris Johnson, draft Hyde and Watkins(if possible) and sign a capable starter, dont need a super star at the other corner. It was obvious last year that the defense is not the problem. Also get a physical safety if possible. 

Mac..yeah

danbrown7665's picture

The Browns have 54 million dollars in cap space if they cut Campbell. Signing Revis for 16 million won't kill them that much.

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

OSUStu's picture

If the Browns pick up Revis, that will be a lot of "name-recognition" and potential talent in the secondary.    Who would likely move into the other safety position if Ward is gone?  (Forgive my ignorance, not a Browns fan.)

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

mattanderson1985's picture

That would be huge if we get Revis and Whitner. Now just have to fresh up the offense they will be solid.

SaltyD0gg's picture

As the smart people have said, without a legit QB this is all just window dressing.

Pain of Discipline
Pain of Regret
Take Your Pick

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

They've got Brandon Weeden. What more do they need?

+2 HS
Hayesedandconfused's picture

They've got Bradon Weeden. What more do they need?  Fixed that for ya.

+2 HS
Hayesedandconfused's picture

They've got Bradon Weeden. What more do they need?  Fixed that for ya.

luckynutz's picture

Well...with whitner in, thats leaves ward out. Add him to haden, gipson and skrine. Skrine is weak sauce...so there needs to be an upgrade there. Dansby in at mlb. Looking at Robertson and kruger at OLB im guessing? And a front line of Bryant, taylor, Rubin and Sheard. Or are they staying with the 3-4? Either way...they are beefing up the d. So if they can add revis at a friendly price tag...holy shit. And if they can work in jairus Byrd? Thats a rock solid unit.

Looks like the plan is to build the d through free agency and build the offense through the draft. Either way...im guessing this isnt a rebuild. Its a load up and win now mindset. Which is different to say the least...I like it. A lot.

osubuck57's picture

Hope Browns don't trade for Revis. He's all about the money!! Don't need that around a young team or that locker room.What about Alteron Verner?? He probably comes a lot cheaper with less baggage. I'd take Talib or Cromartie  too. None of those guys are asking for 16 million a year, which is what Revis' contract is for. And we all know , he's not taking a pay cut.

SCOTTC.

PittBuckeye's picture

If he gets cut he'd have to take a pay cut because nobody would offer him that in a new deal. Unless Al Davis shows up somehow.

+1 HS
osubuck57's picture

Yeah, but if they cut him, he can also sign with whoever he wants, and Tampa gets nothing. Tampa already signed my plan "A", Verner, so there goes that. Denver signed Talib. Maybe we can throw our hat in on Cromartie.

SCOTTC.