Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

€200 Million Offer to Buy Lionel Messi

jeremytwoface's picture
March 7, 2014 at 1:49pm
40 Comments

I know many of you out there aren't really soccer fans and might not care about the sport at all, but you HAVE to appreciate something like this.

That's right. Manchester City is offering Barcelona about €200 million (over $277 million in USD) to acquire Messi. 

Now, if you aren't familiar with how soccer transfers work, that €200 million is just the transfer fee. That doesn't include what Manchester City would be paying for his salary. Messi makes around €16 million a year as of right now so you could guess that MCFC would be upping that amount.

I personally think there's no chance in Messi being sold, but the offer is just staggering.

TheBadOwl's picture

This is more than double the current record, right? Bale was €91 million, correct?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

jeremytwoface's picture

In the article, it says that Bale's transfer fee was 85 million pounds which is about 102.5 million euros. So yeah it would be almost double the world record.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

kwaz50's picture

I think it would be insane for Man City to pay that much for him even though he's a great player.  Also, City doesn't need him they have enough talent the way it is (this is coming from an Arsenal fan fyi).

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

They have plenty of talent, but there isn't anyone like Messi out there, and if you can afford him you pay whatever it takes. He may very well be the best player ever, can't put a price tag on that.

Plus money means so little to City anymore it's like Monopoly money.

kwaz50's picture

in my opinion i think ronaldo will continue to be the best player in the world for a while until Neymar surpasses him, messi hasn't been able to stay healthy and find his form this year so i'm struggling to see him come back from this.

PittBuckeye's picture

Messi has age on his side against Ronaldo. He needs to take some time off and get healthy that's just hard to do when you're him. Ronaldo does stay healthy, and that's a big plus. Still hoping he somehow finds his way back to United. Fingers crossed.

kwaz50's picture

Him finding his way back to United would be torture for the rest of the premier league, but I could honestly see it happening eventually.

gonzogrover's picture

It won't happen as long as Moyes is there. And if it's more than a year or two down the road, he'll probably (and hopefully) be on the back side of his prime.

Jack Fu's picture

Goddamn it why won't some sheikh with endlessly-deep pockets buy Aston Villa already.

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I've been hoping to see that happen to United, but alas we get the Glazers.

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

I have less than no sympathy for you.

+5 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I never expect much more. How about this I'm a lifelong Browns, Indians, and Blue Jackets fan?

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Jack Fu, you're a Villa fan as well? Hell yeah, bro. UTV.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Jack Fu's picture

Hell yes. Got a jersey and everything. UTV.

jeremytwoface's picture

Having a jersey is the sign of a true fan.

j/k... I can't really say I'm a fan of any European team specifically. I like Barcelona but that's probably just because it's really fun to watch them play and move the ball around. I like any team with USA nationals...

Other than that, I just like watching European soccer because it's the top level of competition.

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

Fine. Plus a hat, a scarf, and two neckties.

jeremytwoface's picture

NOW you are are a true fan.

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Granted Messi is the LeBron James equivalent in soccer, but if I were Barcelona, I would find it really hard to turn down an offer like this.  Is this a possible transfer window for the summer?  I'm fairly sure you can only transfer during the summer as well as the month of January.

PittBuckeye's picture

There's a shorter mid-season transfer window, as well as one at the beginning and end of the season.

And Messi is so much more than LeBron, it's hard to explain but they aren't really comparable in that way. 

+2 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I'm sure LeBron is a household name in the US. Messi,on the other hand, is a household name all over the world. Still, I hope the transfer doesn't happen as I am a Barcelona fan.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

While I would agree that Messi is a bigger star overall, Lebron is known all over the world. You could make that argument with any football player you wanted as that isn't at all popular everywhere. Lebron between basketball being popular to some degree everywhere to his shoes and other clothing stuff. He's known everywhere.

TheBadOwl's picture

Lebron is easily more popular in America, but Messi and Ronaldo are both much bigger worldwide.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Eh, let's see him excel in the Premier League before making that comparison.

+1 HS
sbentz4's picture

Financial Fair Play???

+1 HS
Right Again's picture

If not for FFP, you could almost see Chelsea with Roman and Jose doing something audacious like that...just because they could...

BucksfanXC's picture

Better budget a few million for a good doctor or some plastic wrap

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

DJ Byrnes's picture

It would be fun to see Messi in the Premiereship if only to put an end to people saying "WELL CAN HE DO IT ON A COLD DECEMBER NIGHT IN STOKE?"

Messi is Barcelona, but shit 200 million pounds? You can't turn that down. Also possible this report is complete rubbish, but if there's a team to do it, it's Citeh.

Aguero and Messi up top.... wow. Congrats to the City bandwagoners on that.

William's picture

To be fair, the style of play in the EPL is much more physical than it is in La Liga. Messi is arguably the best player in the world, but I don't think he'd make it through an entire EPL season on a consistent basis (when healthy he would of course still be stellar). Mainly because of teams like Stoke that are loaded with no-talent ass-clowns that take joy in causing tib-fib fractures. 

DJ Byrnes's picture

City won't need Messi to beat sorry ass Stoke, though. I guess time will tell on his durability in EPL (assuming this is true.)

gonzogrover's picture

They might need him to beat Wigan though.

+4 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

jeremytwoface's picture

I made a rule to upvote this gif every time I saw it... Too bad I can't here.

On the subject of Messi doing well in the BPL, I think when he's in decent form and around serviceable players, he can succeed anywhere. Plus, the dude is only 26.... He has probably a least 7 or 8 more years until he retires to the MLS.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I think if there's a team to do it it's PSG, but aside from that he's got to perform in the WC, if he plays like a superstar and carries Argentina through a decent ways that would quiet a lot of people who say he can only do it with those guys playing against the usually not elite level defenses in Spain.

sbentz4's picture

I've heard that elite players do not want to play in France because the taxes are outlandish for high earners.  Don't know if there is any truth to that, but sounds kind of similar to athletes staying in Texas or Florida for American sports (no tax).

PittBuckeye's picture

Hadn't thought of that, I guess that makes sense. And Messi doesn't need anymore trouble from not paying his taxes.

+1 HS
gonzogrover's picture

I don't think Messi ever ends up at City but this thread makes me wonder, what will all the City bandwagoners do when Sheik Mansour decides he's tired of soccer and leaves the team without their money-spewing owner?

PittBuckeye's picture

Don't see that happening, as much money as he spends he's making plenty back from it, and even if he got tired of it (because a lot of people get tired of owning one of the best EPL teams) then he has plenty of money and kids to let run it and act important and such.

TheBadOwl's picture

The Yankees and Man City are apparently creating another NYC-based MLS franchise. Due to Man City's involvement, the crest is going to have light blue. I saw some Yankee fans complaining about that, and one suggested that Steinbrenner should just buy Man City.

That's when someone pointed out that the Steinbrenners are worth about $1.5 billion, and that Sheik Mansour is worth > $30 billion. How's that for perspective?

jeremytwoface's picture

PS - I love your signature

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

That's one reason I don't like European soccer. It can be a little too easy to "buy" a championship... Which is what City basically did.