Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Who should the Browns take with their 1st Pick

OSUpawn's picture
February 25, 2014 at 1:31pm
59 Comments

I would like Sammy Watkins

Don't like any of the QBs.  I would like to go with Hoyer for now and give him some weapons.  Get a QB late or next year to develop.

SavannahBuck's picture

I dont care as long as its not Manziel. Seriously though, I agree that I don't see any of these QB's worthy of a top 5 pick. Watkins would be an awesome pick. He would be the perfect complement to Gordon's size. Linebacker help would be good too. Hell, what if Clowney is there? I think he would be a great Will in the 3-4.

OSUpawn's picture

I agree those are not franchise QB's.  I don't like how Clowney takes plays off, but when he plays.... I believe you need a good DE to have a good D.  I like the Watkins Gordon combination.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

703Buckeye's picture

I don't think Clowney will be a consideration, given the strength of the Browns d-line and their investment (Kreuger/MIngo) into olb's.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

MordenoftheSith's picture

Watkins, hands down.  I've been calling for it since the Orange Bowl.  Watkins, then Hyde, then McCarron in the 2nd rd.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

All of the so called 'Draft Experts' are saying Watkins will go to St. Louis before the browns could get to him. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I really like those first three picks.  I think those are our biggest needs.

Go1Bucks's picture

Bortles only on 4th.

Bortles, McCarron or Carr should be the QB pic.

WR: Robinson, or Abbredaris, Lee or Watkins (dont care really)

Safety: Sorenson of BYU is a steal of a pick

DB: Bullough, Shazier, Borland, Pierre-Louis, or Mosley.  

CB: Bennet Jackson or Roby

RB: Hyde, Hyde, Hyde

No Clowney on my Brownies!

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
Earle's picture

Watkins.

Not a fan of any of the QB's at #4.  Too many question marks on all of them.  Ditto for Clowney.

The Browns cannot afford to miss on that first pick the way they so often have.  Watkins is the closest thing I see to a sure thing.

Italics are for emphasis.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm with you there, Earle. I don't know if Hoyer is the answer, but he did well with a hodge podge of WR's last year when he was in. Pair Watkins with Gordon and now Cameron and you have a legit corp of guys who can stretch the field and open up the running game. If you can couple that with Hyde or another one of the solid RB's in this class late in the first or early 2nd, I think there is a chance for the Browns to finally hit a HR.

If not Watkins, I'd go with either Jake Mathews or Greg Robinson. That moves Schwartz to OG, a spot he is probably better suited for, and solidifies that line. But still, Watkins by a wide margin for me if he's there.

+1 HS
SavannahBuck's picture

I thought about Robinson when I was typing, but i thought to myself, nah, the line is good, but you really cant have too many good offensive linemen. I still feel like the Browns need some pass rush. Too many games where QB's had all day to throw in '13

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Agreed. Watkins, Gordon, Cameron? 

Joe Basuerman could play QB for the browns... (sarcasm font and ...)

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

MacG91's picture

Bortles was throwing darts 50 yards down the field at the combine, looked good. If not draft a qb, could trade 2nd First round pick for Cousins or someone. But his arm has been questioned and the browns need a qb with a big arm. I would take Bortles then Hyde then Robinson. Offense would be set. Also Watkins will be gone after St. Louis takes them. 

Mac..yeah

+2 HS
cplunk's picture

As someone who lives in the DC area I can tell you if you want to trade the late first round pick for Cousins, the Redskins would say yes before you finish asking. Nobody here expects more than a high third round/low second for him. Many don't think the Redskins would get even that. 

BuckGnome's picture

Bortles has the tools to be a franchise QB.  In a lot of ways, he's like a young Big Ben as far as his skill set.  Excellent size, surprisingly nimble, and his arm strength is more than sufficient.

mh277907's picture

A first round of Watkins and Hyde would be an incredible first round and a very big upgrade.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Tix would go quickly if this was the case

Earle's picture

Did we not see Bortles play against the Buckeyes?  I don't remember much about the game other than it was closer than it should've been, but Bortles was so unmemorable (is that a word?) to me that I had to go back and check the box score to see if he even played.  I sure remembered Sammy Watkins, though.

I know Bortles is the rising star in the draft, but did anyone really have him in the top 20 at the end of the CFB season?  Just curious.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Watkins also has NFL talent all around him, ucf was only Bortles and Johnson. Not hard to shut down a team when you have more talent at every other position. With that said I like Bortles for being a big QB a la shitsberger in Pitt. But I would take Watkins, Hyde and roll into next year and give up picks for Winston if he comes out

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

arnie_palmy's picture

Unfortunately I think that the scouts may overlook Hyde's game film because of the combine performance and he may fall to the second round. This might allow the Brownies to take him at 35. If they could get Clowney, Watkins, or a good QB with the 4, a good WR such as Benjamin, a QB, or OT, and then el guapo at 35 that would be an awesome start.

Squirrel Master's picture

Not being a Browns fan, I will advocate for one guy a bit. Teddy Bridgewater is better than everyone thinks.

First of all, I really don't think he is 6'2 1/8''. I am a legit 6'1 3/4'' (I have accepted that I will never be a full 6'2''). I stood next to Bridgewater at his graduation at UofL. I seriously looked more up than someone my near size. Just over a quarter inch isn't that significant so I know he is taller than that, in dress shoes too. Not tennis shoes or cleats. I would say he is closer to 6'3'' but probably not quite there. My brother is about 6'3'' and I would say he is that tall.

Tight motion, accurate, he can move around well, played in a pro style already and succeeded (not something JM can say). He has leadership traits. I know "experts" talk about his aloofness but look at his demeanor at the end of the Florida game. He was in charge of that game and owned the moment. He will be a definite starter in the NFL which is more than the Browns can say for any of their past QBs. Is he another Peyton Manning or Luck? no. Can he be another Russell Wilson? Yes. Because you put a good team around him, he won't F'up like Weeden. He won't lose games for you and games are lost more than they are won. Bridgewater won't make those types of mistakes. Manziel will probably out "stat" all other QBs but I bet you he makes the mistake that loses games more than the others will too. Russell Wilson didn't make any key mistakes and the team was able to win the SB because of it. Peyton Manning made a lot of mistakes, yet he is the better overall QB right.

Now I will say Bridgewater wasn't a big build guy. He had some muscle but wasn't built like a football player. Decent size arms, I have long arms so I look, and has the right build to put some muscle on. He probably won't have huge games with 500 passing yards and 7 touchdowns. But I bet you get a consistent 250-300 and 2 tds. Give Clevelands D that and you should win games.

Pick Clowney but really isn't a fit for the AFC North. Need tough skin. Pick Sammy Watkins but like Larry Fitzgerald, he will waste away with out a decent QB (and Hoyer isn't the answer and you all know that). Pick Johnny Manziel but be prepared to have some huge ups and downs. He will thrill you one moment with some amazing play and then lose it on a costly late mistake. Manziel is just another Tony Romo, big stats but will never win it all.

EDIT: oh yeah, I like Bortles but I think he isn't as ready to start like Bridgewater and his accuracy isn't that good. He was helped by an amazing running offense.

or you can Pick Bridgewater if you want a guy who is ready now and will never disappoint you.

but you are Cleveland, you got this!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
BDobina's picture

Johnny football or Bridgewater if available at the 4. If both are gone, trade down to 5 or 7 and then draft Watkins unless Clowney is available. They have to take a QB at number 4 if available. You can not build a team around a number 2 WR. Yes all of these QBs have questions but everyone keeps trying to compare them to Andrew Luck. That kind of QB only comes around once a decade or so. Teddy or Manziel should be serviceable such as an Alex Smith. Don't get me wrong Sammy Watkins is a freak and will be very good in the NFL but you can not build a team around a WR. Also, many people forget that Hoyer only won 2 games last year, one against the Vikings where he through 3 picks and we scored 2 defensive TD's. The other against Cinnci where we won 13 to 9. I wouldnt mind giving him a chance if we did not have the number 4 pick, but there is a reason he has bounced around the NFL.

OSUpawn's picture

What picks would you give up for Jim Harbaugh?

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

1 Johnny Manziel

1 Carlos Hyde

2 Davante Adams

3 Louchiez Purifoy

3 Chris Borland

4 Dri Archer

4 Aaron Murray

5 Corey Linsley

6 Kevin Norwood

7 Max Bullough

+2 HS
HomeBrewed's picture

The Brown's ownership is probably thinking they need to add some excitement around the franchise after a tumultuous offseason. This unfortunately means they are going to draft a QB at 4. IMO, it would be wise to shop the pick and see what value they can get as this is a pretty deep draft. It also depends on what happens in Free Agency with the risk of losing either Ward or Mack. If all remains the same, the chips may just fall to where the Browns end up with JFF. If that happens, I could see them packaging their other R1 pick to trade up to nab Mike Evans in the low teens. Talk about instant buzz. 

Clever Statement

dc28's picture

I think it comes down to value at the number 4 pick. If the Browns have 2 draft boards (Top 300 and and the players that address their needs). So for example lets say they have Johnny Football (as their top ranked quarterback) ranked 10th overall and he is there at number 4, the value is not there for him. Lets say you Watkins (top ranked receiver) at number 2 overall and he lands to you at 4 then that is a value pick.

Personally, if the Browns take a quarterback this year are they going to the playoffs? Probably not, so why not get more skill players (Watkins) or you can never ever go wrong with taking a tackle (ALWAYS A GREAT VALUE PICK BECAUSE THAT GUY IS GOING TO PLAY FOR 15 YEARS). I know that you have to have a quarterback to win but look at what Gordon did with 3 different quarterbacks this year. What if he had help on the other side? Talk about opening up the middle for Jordan Cameron.

I would pick Watkins or move down a couple of spots and get another draft pick and they could still get Anthony Barr (they need inside backers).

Either way it is the Browns, they will manage to screw it up somehow.

luckynutz's picture

I keep saying it...Watkins. then either a corner or tackle with the second pick. There is no real surefire starter at qb available in this draft. So put the pieces there and draft a qb later you can groom. Hoyer is an unknown...only one way to find out what he has, and thats to let him play. I like Aaron Murray...a lot. Experienced, mature, solid arm and fits the mold of a guy you can bring up the right way. Coming off an injury, so no real urgency to throw him out there. Let him learn the system, get accustomed to the speed of the game and build a better supporting cast. If hoyer doesn't pan out, well, its cleveland. We dont expect much. But I dont want to waste a high pick on a maybe. I'd rather them fix the supporting cast first then put another high pick out there who will be destined to fail behind a shoddy line without playmakers.

OSUpawn's picture

I agree.  Gordon made the browns exciting this past year.  As a Browns fan all I just want them to be watchable. 

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

As a Bengals fan I think they should get their QB of the future in........................BLAKE BORTLES Reminds me a lot of Roethlisberger. Manziel is Definately not the answer.

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
hawkins.326's picture

Watkins, then pick up Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger later in the draft and give Hoyer a shot this season. Or I'd be cool with JFF specifically because the Browns would be fun to watch, but ultimately probably still awful. Either way, El Guapo needs to be a part of the equation as well.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I thought when Mettenberger got hurt that he would be a likely pick for the Browns, because there would be no pressure to start him right away, and because the Banner/Lombardi clown show would think it a "good value" to draft an injured QB who might otherwise go higher.  I think it's less likely now, but still would be interesting.

kwaz50's picture

I think it should be down to either Watkins or Bridgewater.  As many people have said watkins is just a flat out playmaker and Watkins, Gordon, and Cameron together would be quite the triple threat.  I could also see Bridgewater being taken though because he is so composed in the pocket and he can make all the throws that we need him to make.  If our running game can develop with Hyde in the late 1st or early 2nd we don't need an all world QB to go crazy to win a game.  Don't forget how good our defense has been the past couple of years as well, we don't need to much help there besides another CB and LB.

+1 HS
USMC11917's picture

Outside of opponents that we have played, why is Mike Evans not considered as electric as Watkins? He Has great hands and size and was the safety blanket for Manziel all year long. I think he is as much a sure thing for a successful receiver as anyone else. He made every play imaginable against Bama and many other teams this year.

DJ Byrnes's picture

A MAN BY THE NAME OF JOHNNY FUCKING FOOTBALL

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

BuckeyeBred's picture

DJ on the board and going strong! You don't like Teddy?  He won with less talent and throws it accurately all over the yard. 

Then we take more OL protection with late first, then get Carlos in early second. Thoughts?

Seattle Linga's picture

Let's just try not to screw this one up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HattanBuck85's picture

Draft WR Sammy Watkins at #4 & OL Cyrus Kouandjio at #26. Get Hyde in the 2nd or 3rd and add either WR Jordan Matthews or WR Allen Robinson later on. Sign QB Mike Vick and RB Ben Tate. That would be pretty sick. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

No way Koundjio goes first round. Bad knee, terrible conditioning, mediocre left tackle in college. All he has is size.

HattanBuck85's picture

You are correct- just read how terrible his knees are and how bad he did at the Combine. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

Qujo's picture

Watkins, then Hyde. No to any QB in round 1. Think how this offense will be stacked for even a middle of the pack QB. Then take Mccaron in round 3 after taking a LB in round 2. We also need a guard but you generally pick them in r2 or 3. 

"Tough times don't last, tough people do" - Gregory Peck

Go1Bucks's picture

Why would Anyone want Johnny Jackass?

I have tried,but cannot find the upside.

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
216ToThe614's picture

I mean, he could win games and all, which is the biggest of upsides if correct. The draft is merely speculation on how good a player should be, so its all speculation regardless and if the Browns think he will help them win and win often, then I say take him.

I don't like all of his off the field stuff either, but thats what it comes down to. If the staff feels he will help them win immediately they will take him at 4.

Pick up your feet, turn your corners square! And DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!!
WB

MordenoftheSith's picture

Tebow only won games and he's not playing this year.  JF is the same except skinnier.  I would take Tebow over JF because at least Tebow has proven it in the NFL.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
216ToThe614's picture

I totally agree, I know no one would like that notion but I wouldn't be upset with Tebow in a Browns uniform. Even if he had to play fullback, the dude knows how to win and has all of the intangibles that you can't teach. Look what he did with the Broncos. I see a similar type thing happening with Manziel in the NFL

Pick up your feet, turn your corners square! And DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!!
WB

osubuck57's picture

Watkins. If he's off the board when they pick, Evans.

SCOTTC.

Mortc15's picture

I have 2 close friends who are Browns fan (I'm not) and they both are adamant that if JM is there at 4 the Browns should take him because "he's exciting and will sell tickets." The problem with that argument is that he'll sell tickets for a season and then if/when he isn't winning more than the Browns normally do, the sales will drop again to regular levels. I personally don't think any of the qbs in this draft are elite. Bridgewater didn't play against elite competition, JM relies on his legs too much and had a physically superior receiver to chuck it too any time he was in trouble, and Bortles accuracy and lack of competition are against him.

If I'm the Browns, I would look at Watkins if he's available. If not, try to trade back or trade picks for next year. Get a solid core and if Hoyer doesn't work out and they stumble through another bad year, Hundley, Jameis, Mariota, and others will be waiting in the wings to be drafted to lead them. (Being a steelers fan, I hope they draft Manz and are disappointed yet again)

Buck-I4Life

Seattle Linga's picture

Watkins is the sexy pick and can you imagine having Gordon Cameron and Sammy to throw to but we need help defensively and I would expect us to go in that direction or take a QB regardless of who is left on the board.

+2 HS
OSUnathen's picture

I like Watkins at #4 and if we can't get him then I like Mack the kid from Buffalo. I'd love to get Hyde with other first round pick but I fear the Browns will think that is to early for a RB especially after getting burned by Richardson years back. I think Hoyer is our QB but with the draft depth at QB I'd take one 3rd or 4th round. We need an OL at some point also. IMO

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Manziel without a doubt for me, dudes a prick, but he's an exciting prick to watch who found ways to win with a defense that was actually worse than Ohio States.

Bring in Hyde late 1 early 2, get Mike Evans for Johnny in round 3 or if he keeps falling like I've heard maybe even 4. Dude can play.

LawBuck's picture

Mike Evans is a first rounder.  Won't be there at 26, let alone round 3 or 4.

MichaelJ721984's picture

If Bridgewater, Bortles or Clowney aren't there at 4, trade back (gotta find a willing partner of course) Grab a few extra picks. I'd be happy with Zack Martin, David Yankey or Allen Robsinson with that second 1st rounder. 

AkronBuckeye13's picture

Didn't Manziel sign with LeBron's marketing company? Good luck with anything associated with LeBron in Cleveland. Watkins all the way.

KeithMC33's picture

I would like to see the Browns get Watkins at 4. If he isn't there, I would actually be more inclined to trade down a few spots rather than taking a QB. To me, if you miss on a DE, RB, OL, etc, you can recover because there are so many out there. If we miss on our QB at 4, that sets us back yet again. I also think that 4 is too high for Jake Matthews as we already have a lot invested in the OL (provided of course that Mack is re-signed). In a perfect world, Watkins is there for us. If not, i would like to drop 6-7 spots, get another 2nd or 3rd round pick out of that and then take Shazier or another position of need. Hopefully Hyde will be there for our 2nd first round pick and we can get some depth with the remainder of the draft. 

Just my 2 cents though

Curt Heinrichs's picture

I'd like to see the Browns get Watkins with the 1st pick and then CJ Mosley with the 2nd 1st round pick. Releasing D'Qwell leaves a big hole in the middle of the defense. Hyde in round 2 if he's around? Maybe Darqueze Dennard with the late pick in round 1. 

Alternative... (based on Matt Miller's updated rankings and etc)

1 Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

1 Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

2 Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

3 Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor

3 Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin

4 Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU

4 De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon

5 Dri Archer, Kent State

6 Christian Kirksey, OLB, Iowa

7 Kenny Guiton, Clutch QB, The Ohio State University

Or...

Trade T.J. Ward to Bears (who need a safety) for their 1st and 2nd round picks. Then send both Chicago's picks + a third and fourth rounder to St. Louis for the 2nd overall pick. Then sign the Bills' safety Jairus Byrd in the free agency.

1 Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

1 Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

1 Marqise Lee, WR, USC

1 Trade 2015 1st round pick to Seahawks to get Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

2 Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

3 Trade to Washington for QB Kirk Cousins

4 Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin

5 Jeremy Hill, LSU

6 Dri Archer, WR, Kent State

7 Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State

Imagine these weapons on offense:

QB- Kirk Cousins / Brian Hoyer / Kenny Guiton

RB- Carlos Hyde / Jeremy Hill

WR- Josh Gordon / Sammy Watkins / Marqise Lee / Dri Archer

TE- Jordan Cameron

Then we also add Shazier and Borland to our linebacker crew, and Clowney to our defensive line.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

logamaniac's picture

With Carolina having their OT retire I might not mind trading back to them if watkins is gone and picking up another 2nd or 3rd round pick in the process.  Still allow us to take a solid WR and pack on more depth 

-1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Watkins, but if he is not available, then i like Clowney, and if both Watkins and Clowney are gone, then i would have to take Teddy. Then my second pick has to be a rb, hopefully Hyde.