Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

TJ Oshie = American Hero

MarkC's picture
February 15, 2014 at 10:23am
35 Comments

Obviously, this wasn’t the Miracle on Ice.  But, we just knocked off maybe the best team in the world (Russia, no less) on their home ice.  TJ Oshie converts 4 of his 5 (!) attempts in a shootout to win. 

Also, what a bizarre format for a shootout.  Worked out of us though.  USA!

lippertini's picture

Great game!  I'd feel a bit jobbed if I was Russia, though, that disallowed goal was brutal.  

And yup, TJ Oshie was amazing, and, also yup, so weird that he could just keep shooting!

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Agree, but it was the correct call. Goal was off it's mooring.

According to the International Ice Hockey Federation rulebook, a goal is disallowed "if the net has been displaced from its normal position, or the frame of the goal net is not completely flat on the ice."

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Absolutely amazing!

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I don't think they're the best team in the world, that spot is all Canada IMO, but huge win for the US, helps offset that big curling upset to Russia yesterday.

+6 HS
OSUStu's picture

Don't forget Quick. Guy was going up against some of the best goal scorers in the world (Malkin, Datsyuk, and Kovalchuk, sounds like the start of an all-star team) and made a some fantastic saves.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+4 HS
Jugdish's picture

I really don't care much about hockey but that game had me so hyped. A great team effort and thanks "Bob".

Remember to get your wolverine spayed or neutered. TBDBITL

+1 HS
cplunk's picture

That was hella fun to watch.

That dislodged goal rule is a bit of bs, and I'd be pissed if I was Russia. They still had the chance to win it, though. They just hadn't counted on the Oshie assault.

Great game. Loves me some Olympic hockey. 

Goalscorer9's picture

Great win for USA.

Side note: Datsyuk = still amazing, even on one leg

+3 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

What a great game.
Oshie crushed it in the shoot out, a true top gun.
Datsyuk is still the boss...but Team USA has the "it" factor.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

On the road this a.m., best radio listen I've had in a long time. This puts Team USA in a great spot heading into the next round (provided they beat Slovenia tomorrow morning).

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+1 HS
Colin's picture

Man I'd be so much happier if that didn't come against Bobrovsky. I feel terrible for him. Oshie had his number big time and he just went over and over and over.

+3 HS
popeurban's picture

Thought this too.  Feel bad for him and actually the whole team losing in front of their home country fans.  But really, it is all the fault if the Russian who had the two penalties that resulted in PP scores.  

+3 HS
Colin's picture

I agree, Radulov was more to blame in the loss for his dumb penalties. But everyone is going to remember Oshie against Bob in the shootout.

+2 HS
Josh P's picture

This is the USA.  We don't feel bad when we win.  

BHT's picture

This was a great game. I am not a hockey fan but I found myself being glued to my computer watching this. Congrats to the United States Hockey team and thank you Mr. Oshie. He happens to be a player for the city in which I live.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I wish I could honestly tell you that I got up this morning at 4:00 am here on the west coast but I can't so I will have to resort to replays

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Come on Seattle!  I made it up...4:15am.  Even after seeing Imagine Dragons last night in LA. 

Let's all not forget about our Buckeye Kesler.  Unsung hero of the game.  His face-off dominance was the turning point of the game.  And it also set up the second goal.  And he did it all with one hand, after sacrificing himself to a shot on Russia's power play. 

And Datsyuk is still the best all-around player in the world. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Show me pics with you up at 4:15 AM or it did not happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Pretty sure you, and no one else, for that matter, want to see those pics.

My in-laws are in town tonight and had to make sure they were aware that I will be up again @ 4:15 to watch the Solvenia game.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for the laugh - I digress - I don't want to see what you look like at 4:5 am.  

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture
+2 HS
KBonay's picture

POP! goes the water-bottle. Even in Slo-mo you can't see that puck, his release is so quick.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Not only can you not see the puck you can barely recognize the stroke. I have watched that gif 50 times and still have no clue where the puck went.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

Fantastic game.  Let's hope Oshie's shootout performance is remembered more than the goal call.  Crazy call though.

I like this shootout format better.  Would like to see the NHL adopt this.

m5987usus's picture

Love that the Americans beat Russia but lets beat them in the gold medal game

O-H!

+1 HS
TLB's picture

Lighten up Francis.

It's just a phrase. I am sure we all know the difference between sports heroes and real life heroes.

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

my name is not francis

O-H!

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

To settle your argument, TJ agreed:

+3 HS
gonzogrover's picture

I work nights and woke up in time to turn it on with under 2 minutes left in OT. I'm not a big hockey fan but in a tournament like the Olympics it can be must watch. Oshie was clutch as hell in the shootout. Fun to watch.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Until NBC releases video, here is a real rough shot of GWG.  Please ignore the sounds in background!  His release is lighting quick & it's a bottle knocker!

PittBuckeye's picture

The more I see the highlights on all the sports shows the more I think of what a boss this dude must feel like tonight.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Oshie vs Russia was trending on twitter lol, What a great game! Congrats USA! good luck, with babcock playing not to lose (hockey version of tressel ball) it's going to leave us vulnerable vs the higher quality teams as the tourney goes on.