Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Jonathan Martin Situation

Dr. House's picture
February 14, 2014 at 1:09pm
34 Comments

with the Jonathan Martin report coming out today. what is every thoughts on this whole thing. after reading the emails? or texts? from martin to his mother i read a man who is battling depression and worked around giant assholes who did not help the situation. the whole thing is very sad and disturbing how the dolphins' coaches knew and even joined in. thoughts?

http://deadspin.com/the-worst-stuff-from-the-dolphins-investigation-updati-1522846626

Squirrel Master's picture

all I am going to say is that anyone who says "Martin sent texts back saying the same stuff" doesn't understand the position of those who get bullied. The victim sometimes feels the need to play along or laugh it off to keep it from getting worst.

I am actually curious out of the thousand text messages, how many were from Incognito and how many were Martin inciting the conversations. I wouldn't be surprised if Martin was just responding to Incognito to just play along. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the texts were from incognito and at a late hour. I think Incognito might have an addiction to something (probably alcohol) that turns him into a monster at 2am (or he is just a complete A-hole for no reason). This weeks twitter posts kind of prove that.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

This kind of stuff has absolutely no place in today's workplaces.  And that includes the NFL which seems to get away with much more questionable behavior than would be tolerated in almost any other working environment.

It is just disturbing that it appears that the coaching not only knew about the behavior but also participated in it.  If I were a Dolphins fan, I would want them all fired.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
Dr. House's picture

i am still in awe and filled with shame how people with in the dolphins organization were supporting Incognito. 

+5 HS
OSUStu's picture

Or just how many people in general.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
osubuck57's picture

Want to see more what the NFL is going to do with the findings more so than the Dolphins. Some pink slips may be in order.

SCOTTC.

harleymanjax's picture

"Because I couldn't go for 3"

+1 HS
scrotieMcboogerballs's picture

It is surprising how many are in Incognito's camp. Football locker room 'culture' is not acceptable, and saying 'it's just football culture' is ignorant. I wonder if Golic is going to be back-pedaling next week after spending so much energy siding with Incognito. Incognito is a text book example of a bully-and it is embarrassing to think that behavior is accepted ANYWHERE in our society.

"Who do you think you are?!?!...I am!!"  -Pete Weber, bowling legend and dominator of the English language

+3 HS
OSUnathen's picture

Incognito is a d-bag and a typical bully. This doesn't surprise me because I've been in a locker room before and every one has a guy like this. I feel bad for a guy like Incognito because he has no idea how much of a fool and an ass he is. Martin probably should have just completely ignored the bullying but it is never an excuse for the way Incognito acted.  

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

So sad that everything unfolded the way it did - If I was a Miami fan - I would be so pissed because of all the drama.

JakeBuckeye's picture

Why? Because he was gradually broken down emotionally by a couple of disgusting, racist douche bags?

Yeah, he must be so soft.

Its sad that in today's society we still have people who consider Martin to be "soft" for this. On the other hand, its nice to see a d-bag like Incognito be called out and (hopefully, unless he truly has a change of heart) have his football career ruined. Hopefully this helps change the climate of some locker rooms out there.

-2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

It's pretty clear that Incognito, Pouncey, and Jerry were just messing with him...aaaand Martin was doing it too.

Damn, Jake, you are oversensitive.

The part of our society that is "sad" is the thin-skinned, politically correct whining.

-1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

Right. And an independent investigator determined that Incognito, Pouncey, and Jerry "engaged in a pattern of harassment," that created "a classic case of bullying, where persons who are in a position of power harass the less powerful," because they were "just messing" with Martin. And I'm sure that Incognito desperately attempted to cover up his actions (the leaked text message conversation, asking that the "fine book" be destroyed) because he knew that he had "just been messing" with Martin.

Incognito's an asshole and a bully. And people who defend him are assholes.

+2 HS

I am not defending Incognito, and I don't know him (either do you), but he may very well be an asshole.

My post was simply: Martin is soft. I bet 99% of his teammates would tell you that too.

It's just the locker room mentality.

-1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

Blaming the bullying victim is defending the bully. Don't give me this "locker room mentality" bullshit: bullying is bullying, and I couldn't give two shits where it takes place.

And Incognito is an asshole. That is inarguable, whether I "know" him or not.

ok Jack, everything you say is 100% correct and inarguable, got it. HAHAHA

Nice language, btw

Jack Fu's picture

I apologize for upsetting your delicate sensibilities. I guess you should be glad I'm not Richie Incognito.

About whom: if you want to argue that he's not an asshol-- oops, a meany-pants -- then I'm all ears.

-1 HS

oh, Jack, you know I was just joking about that...I'm not the sensitive type

-1 HS
FormerBuck's picture

I am saddened by the responses I am seeing here and in some other places.  Say it doesn't belong or whatever you want, but the FACT is, this goes on in EVERY locker room in the world in every major sport.  It is team bonding and almost everyone takes part in it at some level.  Of the thousands of professional athletes currently playing, only one (Martin) has complained about the atmosphere.  That should tell you all you need to know.

+1 HS

Exactly FORMER BUCK

What's next in this country -- is the PC police going to outlaw fraternities and sororities because somebody had their feelings hurt?

Damn, the whole country has gone soft.

-1 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

Sorry, I just don't buy that white people calling black people people "n***ers* and the kind of language that was used in that locker room was normal. That is not team bonding and if you think that is bonding in any way there is simply something off with your logic. Yes, some sort of hazing usually happens but this is an extreme case, hence why it came to light.

But this type of case is the problem with allowing any sort of hazing. Because its the d-bags like Incognito who go way too far and use the "it goes on everywhere" excuse to mask the filth inside of him. I'm glad that Utah brought up fraternities. Look at those for an example. You have a true problem with hazing there, where every year you have a few complete frat douches kill a poor pledge and use the excuse "hazing happens every where" to claim their innocence. "Hazing" doesn't have to be the worst thing in the world, but horrible people like Incognito and those few frat douches make it that and create a problem where we have to think if we should allow it at all.

-1 HS
FormerBuck's picture

How much time have you spent in a professional locker room Jake??  I've spent 9 years so I think I know what is normal and accepted.

JakeBuckeye's picture

If you find "n***er" and the language used by those guys acceptable, whether it be usual or not, then I have no words for you.

Let me guess Mr. Sensitive, Jake, you're probably all on board for the new rule outlawing the N word in the NFL. The 15-yard penalty and ejection if it's used twice.

What a ridiculous rule. Who does this rule hurt? ... blacks, that's who. 75% of the league is blacks, so you could say this is a racist rule.

What does this rule prove? It's a self-righteous rule for whoever is pushing it (maybe the Rooneys/Steelers)

Good Lord, political correctness run amok.

JakeBuckeye's picture

I don't really know if I agree or disagree with that new rule, I'd have to look more into it. All I know is the context in which Incognito used the word (in a demeaning, racist way, with a hard "er" at the end) is simply disgusting, and if you think there's any place for that word used in that way in this world...

+1 HS

so, you're saying it's okay for one African-American to call another African-American the 'N' word?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you.

I just think the whole thing is silly...it's over-legislating.

Let's worry about designing a more efficient helmet to combat concussions, (if it's feasible), instead of policing young men's free speech.

I find the 'N' word disgusting, too. But, let's be honest --- in the NFL --- African-Americans are calling other African-Americans this word. Nobody on television can hear them saying it, it's just something on the field...let's not overreact. It's just guys having fun, talking trash...banter. Penalties and suspensions for this are way over the line.

-1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Gotta agree Johnny. Martin is soft. I don't condone Incognito's actions or his words, but Martin could have done something about it, like I don't know, go to the owner/president? Roger Goodell?

+1 HS

Exactly...Martin sent a meme message that said something like "I'm going to kill your family"...obviously he was joking too. I don't know what this dude's deal is --- he needs attention, whatever. Maybe it has something to do with his parents being trial lawyers.But, the bottom line is he is not NFL material if he is not mentally tough enough to take some locker room banter.

Icognito is probably out of control, but a season or worse ban? That is ridiculous.

Martin is softer than a baby's butt.

route4buckeye's picture

Yeah, I mean Incognito's actions and words are inexcusable, but Martin needs to stop being a baby. Or he shouldn't have played along with it.

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Bring on the downvotes lol. Remember when they weren't supposed to be used on posts you didn't agree with?

-2 HS

I know LOL!

I'm getting downvoted into oblivion...and it's pretty obvious who at least 1 of the downvoters is (I still love you, Jake :)

whatevs haha

route4buckeye's picture

haha. my screename on the Scout boards is bucknutjake. I was like, how do you know my name until I realized you weren't talking about me.

+1 HS

haha  gotcha

I know, it's like if you offer a differing opinion on here --- it reaaaally irritates (some, not all) people. That's all we're doing, offering differing opinions. Healthy free speech.

route4buckeye's picture

That's why I hardly post on issues like this.

+1 HS