Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Browns Clean House

GoBucksToledo's picture
February 11, 2014 at 10:15am
62 Comments

[Moved this to the Other Sports forum where it belongs – Ed.]

Can Lombardi and Banner.  Ray Farmer is new GM.  Just saw this on a newsfeed, sorry no link.

Earle's picture

Jimmy Haslam just went up 1000% on my respect meter.  I have no idea whether he is a criminal or not, but at least he realized his mistake and has ended the Banner/Lombardi clown show.

There is hope.

+11 HS
NitricOxide's picture

I thought the Lombardi guy was some kind of a football legend....

+1 HS
jdagrava.1's picture

I'm with you there, but riddle me this:

Why in the WORLD would Haslam allow two guys that he's about to terminate take place in the hiring process of a new head coach?!?!?!?

The timing makes no sense to me - first fire the front office guys, THEN go find a coach.  Now you have a GM that had zero input on the head coach.  Not to mention all of the positive remarks that Pettine made about how "enthusiastic" the front office is about bringing a good team back to Cleveland...  Well go ahead and throw that shit out cause they are toast, bud!

The Cleveland Browns, ladies and gentlemen.

"It takes a little something special to be a great player.  What you got in you, we're going to find out.  And if there's a touch of greatness in there, how cool would that be?"

-Urban F. Meyer

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

How the Browns put out dumpster fires...

+4 HS
AkronBuckeye13's picture

It seems like Pettine and Farmer knew it was coming. Farmer turned down the Miami job so he appeared to know that he was going to get the Browns job so maybe he did have some input on hiring Pettine.

Oyster's picture

There is an old adage (attributed to many people I might add) about insanity and doing the same thing over and over.  I present to you, insanity in action, the 2014 version.

+3 HS
Earle's picture

There is also an old adage about the devil you know being better than the devil you don't, that I'm pretty sure doesn't apply here.

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

I just shake my head anymore.  That is how bad it has become, nothing surprises me.  You have potential coaches calling the Browns to tell them they are not interested, even before they have been contacted.  Hey Browns, here's your sign...

btw, with the new format, when I click on your profile, your icon is much bigger.  You look much older than I had orginally thought you were.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

The transition to the new site has aged me.  You know that people my age don't adjust to change well.

+4 HS
GoBucksToledo's picture

Haha  I don't act much older than the picture

Earle's picture

How I picture myself:

How I really am:

+12 HS
OSU1995's picture

I question that player's intention located directly behind coach Bruce.

“You have to make decisions, ... I've never pretended that every decision I've made was right. And I've been reminded of that.” 
     - James Patrick Tressel

buckguy10's picture

Wow what a joke of a franchise. Can't seem to do anything right. Why let these guys fire a coach, then fire them a month later?

-4 HS
Earle's picture

I actually think this has been coming for a while.  Farmer was up for the Miami GM job, and pulled out of the running.  I'm pretty sure Haslam made the call on Chudzinski and then on Pettine after Banner botched the coaching search.

+4 HS
AkronBuckeye13's picture

Like Earle said, Banner botched the coaching search. Also, Lombardi can't put a roster together. After Hoyer went down they did absolutely nothing to get a halfway decent quarterback. Josh Freeman was available, was he going to take us to the playoffs? No. Was he a better option than Weeden and Campbell? Absolutely.

+4 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Freeman was terrible in Minnesota and they had AP to lean on....He might be slightly better than Weedon last year, but not better than Campbell. You could make a case Chud got fired for not identifying Hoyer as the better QB of the 3.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Well there goes 2 of the 3 stooges. I hope Ray Farmer can now make the Browns a good team.

+3 HS
acBuckeye's picture

Now, only if Haslam fired himself.

+4 HS
GoBucksToledo's picture

The Feds may take care of that for us

+9 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I don't follow the Browns/NFL closely, but FWIW Lombardi made a great trade on the Richardson deal. He was widely criticized at the time, but the Browns came out way ahead on that one.

Whomever this clown Haslam hires to be the next GM will now benefit from the Browns having two First Round draft picks as well as five additional picks in rounds two, three, and four.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I'll give him that, though I'm not sure it wasn't Banner who orchestrated it.  They were successful at acquiring draft picks.  Good players, not so much.  Roster management (QB, RB, WR) was horrific.  Maybe Banner's job was to put the organization together and set the table for the next guy and then ride off into the sunset.  Chud/Lombardi was definitely a false start.  Hopefully Pettine/Farmer will do better.  Either way, though I don't think Chud got a fair shot,  I'm not terribly upset to see any of them gone.

+1 HS
acBuckeye's picture

Good players, not so much.

Didn't they have 5 Pro Bowlers? I think it's more not having a QB than anything else.

+3 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

This is true. Look around the league at the teams that are successful, and with few exceptions, they all have a QB that plays at a high level. The Browns have a several good pieces in place, but also have a lot of needs. Getting an above average QB is chief among them. 

+3 HS
Earle's picture

I think they have some talent, but Banner and Lombardi didn't draft any of those pro-bowlers.  Not sure if Hoyer is the answer, but they way they played when he was playing well shows just how much of a difference a competent QB can make.

+2 HS

Lombardi also said the Browns made a bad move in getting Josh Gordon  in the supplemtal draft..... So even a blind squirrel can find a nut  every once in a while.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I would be interested to know if Pettine had any advance notice of this before he took the job.  I'm guessing they just wanted to wait until he assembled his staff before announcing it, but if this just happened without warning, he's got to be wondering what he's gotten himself into.

+3 HS

Who knows if Pettine will be successful or not, but I think this was the best outcome for him. He got the job because of their incompetence, and now he might actually have some input in the draft.

+2 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture

Agreed, the team will now be built by Farmer and Pettine, working hand in hand.  With Alec Shiner running the business side, and that's it.  There was no reason to tie the Business guy(Banner) pulling the strings on the roster and talent side.

+1 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture

This is what happens when you pass on the draft last year and are unwilling to supply your team with the parts it needs to function(Lombardi), and you don't know how to work with people and are a power hungry person who thinks he should have his hand in everything even if you don't have the required expertise(Banner).   

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Why do I once again feel dirty about this clean slate?

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

Because you have seen this movie before.

+4 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Because "the eraser" is dirty?

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

I love my Browns but:

+7 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the Browns returned in 99'...

+5 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

You hit the nail on the head.

The Browns need to move away, again...and REALLY start over new.  Move this current embarrassment to some other city (LA, Anchorage, whatever who cares) and then start a new, new Browns.

That looks warm

+2 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I say we make the dumpster fire the official mascot of the Cleveland Browns. We could call him Dumpy. If the dumpster were brown it would even match Cleveland's colors. Have the team be sponsored by Rumpke...

+2 HS
1MechEng's picture

I'd feel a lot better about these moves if they weren't so close to the combine. How are they going to even have the staff in place and up to speed in order to evaluate talent? The fact the Browns have so many high draft picks (and so many team needs!) means that a lot of effort will have to go into the draft.

I'm getting tired of eternally hoping things will change. Cleveland's fans certainly deserve better.

+2 HS

The combine is a glorified track and field event... I think a DVR would be all you need.

+1 HS
1MechEng's picture

The biggest part of the combine for many coaches and teams are the chances to interview the players, and to conduct the intelligence and psychological tests.

The 40 times and such are just eye candy.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

They're really only losing two guys whose talent evaluation skills were questionable, at best.  They have a president (non-football ops) and a GM (football ops), so the only organizational gap is really the assistant GM role that Farmer held.

+1 HS
osubuck57's picture

Guess we'll find out come draft time, if they have a clue of what they're doing. I like the move though. Too bad he didn't pull that trigger before Chud got fired. Shame they didn't give him a real shot at the head coaching job. Gordon and Cameron are the only offense we have.

SCOTTC.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Glad they're gone. Now to cheer for the Federal Government in their quest to imprison Jimmy Haslam. #beerwegofederalgovernmentbeerwego

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Jordan Wagner's picture

Ray Farmer is one of the most respected player personnel guys in the league. Glad Banner and Lombardi are out of his way. Seems like Farmer might hire his own guy to be assistant GM. 

BuckeyeNation_330's picture

Love the move Farmer won me over when he turned down the Miami job, I can't wait to see what intelligence drafts. Hopefully another playmaker to go with JG (Sammy Watkins from Clemson/Mike Evans from TXAM), and a physical Corner/Saftey (Dennard from MSU/ Ha Ha Clinton-Dix from Bama) I'd also love another bigger back to go with Dion Lewis (El Guapo/ Andre Williams form BC)

"Bleed Scarlet, Die Gray"

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

QB and corner have to be top priorities IMO.  QB for obvious reasons and someone opposite of Hayden would do miracles in a passing league.     The problem is they have to avoid reaching, so we will see how it pans out.

+2 HS

I disagree with the notion that we "NEED" a QB in this draft, I believe that the offense was completely in sync with Hoyer, Gordon was a playmaker during contention time in the game and not just in garbage time with us down 20+ points.  The focus should be on establishing some sort of run game and protecting whoever is back there at QB and defensively closing off the other side of the field from Haden and adding a FS with coverage range

tennbuckeye19's picture

You're assuming Hoyer comes back healthy and is the same guy we saw in the limited time he played last season. Establishing a run game would be nice, as we haven't had one in a few years, but the way the league has evolved, having a competent QB is much more important than an efficient running game. Having both would be amazing, but we all know as Browns fans, we can't ever have everything we want. 

True we don't know if Hoyer will be the same, but anymore with modern medicine an ACL is nowhere near as bad as it once was, from the talk in the locker room the offensive guys really liked him because he was quick to make a decision and get rid of the ball. There's not really any QB in this class that you can say is going to be "THAT" guy and out of all I'd say Taj Boyd and and Injuried Aaron Murray are potentially the best "QBs".  I love Johnny Football in college but I don't see his game translating to the pro game.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I agree. And I hope Hoyer comes back healthy and can play at the level he did last year prior to his injury. But I do think they will take a QB at some point and the need is there, especially if Weeden's days are numbered and I don't know if Campbell's returning either. 

BigKat45's picture

I don't care who it is. Someone get the Browns right. The Factory of Sadness is me on Sundays in the fall.

"Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” - Urban

+3 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

I've been a Browns fan since I was a kid, in the 70's.

I am tired of this slow-moving disaster epic.

Pardon my language. But, this is eFFin' BULLshit!

+4 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

How awesome would it be to not only get promoted, but to fire your former bosses? RAY FARMER IS DA MAN and I'm betting he is behind all this. Good for him. Banner is a clown.

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

My guess is that they all weren't on the same page for the draft.  The one thing we have issues with is draft consistency and I am sure that the owners are tired of the issues, and with the decision of Farmer to stay - actually wanting to stay in Cleveland - they may have decided to find guys that will all play nice together so may actually fix the offensive and defensive holes needed to field a balanced team capable of getting to the playoffs.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

When we're talking about the Browns execs any change is good change. I'd let Snoopy take a whack at running this B.

NoVA Buckeye's picture

Here's what we know:

Banner and Lombardi pulled the trigger on firing Chudzinski with the approval of Haslam promising they had a replacement available

Browns are only team in NFL without a head coach after weeks through hiring

Banner and Lombardi identify Dan Quinn as their target, but Haslam gets impatient and hires Pettine.

Ray Farmer stays as AGM despite offer from Dolphins. Can't blame him. I wouldn't want to work for Michigan Man Stephen Ross either.

Haslam gets tired of poor perception on organization and decides to do something drastic

Lombardi is fired and Farmer is promoted.

Banner in process of transitioning out and President Alec Scheiner will assume business operations. A great move after what he has done in this past year.

In the grand scheme of all things, it seems that Haslam is getting his say and that he's holding the FO accountable for their actions. With this, he's cleaning the problems like Lombardi and promoting the successful like Farmer and Scheiner. I am excited about this coming draft because Farmer might have a chance to bring us the franchise QB we've been waiting for since Al Lerner bought the team in 1999

The offseason begins when your season ends. Even then there are no days off.

+3 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

"That Sam guy was getting too much pub.  He needed put into his place."  - JH

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

Seattle Linga's picture

For the 2 months that Banner will be there - time will go by so slowly.

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Does anyone else think taking a QB in the first round is a mistake? I feel like Hoyer can do enough to keep them competitive, but any QB the Browns draft is set up for failure much like Tim Couch was. I realize Gordon is a gem, and Cameron is an excellent TE, but with an average OL and no running back or any other legit receivers it just seems like a rookie QB isn't the answer. If for some reason a QB fell into the 2nd round then I would take one. I'm just afraid we will end up with another version of Weeden. They cannot afford to whiff on these high picks.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS