Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Alabama Recruiting Ohio Players

+2 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture
February 26, 2017 at 4:42pm
54 Comments

Over the course of the last month or so, I've noticed on multiple occasions tweets and articles announcing that an Ohio player has received an offer from Alabama.  Obviously, Alabama, like us, strives to bring in the nation's best players, so for guys like Jackson Carman and Jaelen Gill, it is to be somewhat expected.  However, lesser known guys (on the national scene) have been getting love from 'Bama as well.

Tavion Thomas was offered on February 16, two days before Ohio State.

Malik Vann and Tyreke Smith were both offered yesterday, February 25.  Smith holds an OSU offer, but Vann, a teammate of Carman, does not.

Then today, MSU commit Joseph Scates, a teammate of the aforementioned Thomas, received an offer from Alabama as well.

Although offered somtime ago, 3-star DT Aeneas Hawkins of Cincinnati Moeller also possesses an Alabama offer.

While some of these players hold OSU offers, others have yet to earn one.  Obviously, we all know the talent in the state of Ohio is without question.  But my question is why is Alabama trying to muscle its way into Ohio knowing full well that Ohio State can get pretty much any Ohio player it so chooses?  Surely there are plenty of other high 3-star and low 4-star prospects in the South that would be more likely to choose the Tide.  Does this speak to the immense quality and depth of the Ohio class of 2018?  Or is Saban playing games with Meyer by incentivizing him to offer prospects that are on the bubble talent-wise or that Meyer wished to evaluate more thoroughly?

Not sure if I believe that games like that are played between coaches on the recruiting front, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing I'd ever heard.  What are your thoughts on the matter?  Either way, it will be exciting to see how it plays out, as it is every year.

Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments