Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

A Deeper Look at Major College Football Recruiting

+5 HS
Buckeye1996's picture
April 24, 2016 at 5:52pm
12 Comments

In an earlier post, I talked about taking a deeper look at the landscape of recruiting. So, I just want to provide an update.

I have most of the demographic data complete and ready to go. I now have to update my recruiting database. I have it complete up to 2011.

The recruiting database is much like what you see across the virtual world known as the worldwide web. It includes hometown, choice of school, star rating, position etc...

Of course in the process, I got off track and got to playing around with the data. So, here is a look at the quick and dirty maps.

Note: I posted the map in the ""Analytic Map" Ignores OSU Draft Picks" Buckshots (LOL) but wanted to post it here in case it got buried.

The map below shows all Major College Football recruits (2002-2010) by their hometown locations. I ran an analysis that looks at the number of recruits by county and compares that to the number of recruits in other counties.

When all the smoke clears, you get a relative sense of how many more or less recruits are coming from a county relative to all counties. RED is a lot more and BLUE is a lot less. Everything in the middle (yellowish) is meh.

Here is a second map that is slightly more complicated. It shows the distances recruits are willing to travel to be a part of the football program as well as the number of recruits by percentile by county (2002 - 2011).

Black, for example, shows a larger portion of the recruits traveled long distances to play football elsewhere.

You can see the list. Stanford gets their recruits from afar as does Minnesota, Air Force and Navy (makes sense), and so on and so forth (long live the Vest!).

Thoughts or suggestions before I ramp it up?

Thanks!

Non Mod Edit: Furthest should be Farthest in the map.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments