Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Urban Meyer - Recruiting Like Tressel

0 HS
pdpepper's picture
January 28, 2016 at 11:55am
35 Comments

I wanted to take a moment and acknowledge something I feel many of the 11W posters have missed regarding the Sam Bruce situation.  Many feel Urban should have taken Bruce, but the result of that would have been someone else being out, likely Malik Harrison.

Tressel would often save his last scholarship or two for local Ohio kids who worked their tail off for scholarships to play for their hometown dream school, Ohio State (think Troy Smith).  Urban could have easily dismissed Harrison for Bruce (and most on this site would have been happy about it), but he stuck to his morals.  In the wake of the recent actions of Harbaugh, I commend Urban and staff for making the ethical choice and what I feel is the right choice.  They offered the scholarship to a local kid (who many believe has accepted it) and refused to take it away (Harbaugh would have). 

Urban can now proudly go to all Ohio players and coaches and say he stands by not only his word, but the local talent.  Bruce may (may being key word) have more talent and paid off dividends early, but I think this move will reap much larger rewards down the line.  Very Tressel like.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments