Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Victor, Haskins, Jones - not your typical elite prospect announcements

0 HS
oprettyricky's picture
January 19, 2016 at 1:12pm
27 Comments

In light of the the commitment part of recruiting almost becoming all about attention in the media the last few years, I realized yesterday how much more respect I have for players like Victor, Jones, and Haskins. 3 top 100 players (depending on the site you use), who easily could have been all over the media and wanting to make a spectacle of their announcements like we have seen a lot of in the past. I think these young guys had every right to go on TV and make a full fledged announcement at their schools in from of dozens of cameras with the hats on the tables and all of that, but the fact they chose not to do so made me have a lot more respect for them.

Not saying those kinds of announcements are not earned or entertaining, because they are (especially entertaining when they choose to come to the good guys). The fact they didn't shows a little higher sense of maturity than most athletes their age and truly shows how honored and humbled they are. They seem to realize that football is a team effort; not just about them.

Haskins wrote a heartfelt letter he posted a link to on twitter (no longer there), Jones told the coaches/tweeted his decision and Victor simply sent out a tweet in the middle of the day. I may be looking into this too much, who knows, but I feel that we got a great set of young men coming to Ohio State this next year who are going to do something special. Their actions really stood out to me, especially with signing day coming up.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments