Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: Malcolm Jenkins (8-5)

Matt Gutridge's picture
August 5, 2015 at 8:33pm
6 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I have the majority. 

Malcolm Jenkins

Malcolm Jenkins had a .833 comp. rating and was the 44th ranked CB in 2005.

ON AUGUST 5, 2004 MALCOLM JENKINS (S) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE
Excerpts from an article written by Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger:

...As a starter the next two years, he led Piscataway to two more state titles, punctuated with countless hot, sticky, early summer mornings spent working on his footwork with former Piscataway assistant Larry Lester.

"Remember practicing up on Green Acres?" Jenkins recently text-messaged Lester, with whom he still talks about once a week. "I can't believe how far I've come."

"He was the kind of kid you could build a team around," Lester said.

The Buckeyes saw that after a week at their summer football camp, which Jenkins attended mainly because his aunt had recently moved to Westerville, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus. When the players lined up for one-on-one drills, Jenkins would scout the most talented guys on the other side of the ball and skip ahead spots to go up against them.

By the time he and his family returned home, the program had sent a FedEx with a scholarship offer. To avoid the distractions of recruiting, he verbally committed before his senior season at Piscataway, picking Ohio State over Rutgers and Virginia Tech.

PSU

Making PSU live up to Pick Six University.

Jenkins was ranked No. 2 (James Laurinaitis was No. 1) on cleveland.com's Top 10 Ohio State 3-Star Recruits. From Ari Wsasserman's 2014 article:

No. 2 Piscataway, N.J., cornerback Malcolm Jenkins, 2005 –
The 2005 recruiting class was a great year for Ohio State, because Jenkins arrived alongside Laurinaitis and accomplished similar accolades with the Buckeyes. Jenkins, who was rated by Rivals as the No. 61 cornerback in his class, could have been No. 1 on the list. He was a consensus All-American in 2008, the same year he won the Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the nation’s top cornerback. The New Orleans Saints selected Jenkins with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, and Jenkins won a Super Bowl as a rookie.

Jenkins

Ohio State was 4-0 against That Team with Malcolm Jenkins on the roster.

From The 2014 Ohio State Media Guide:

MALCOLM JENKINS 2008 Thorpe Award Winner
The premier defensive back in college football, cornerback Malcolm Jenkins earned consensus All-America honors during his tremendous senior season. Foregoing the NFL draft to complete his college career with the Buckeyes, Jenkins’ attention to detail and commitment to excellence were unrivaled, setting a splendid standard for the Silver Bullet secondary.

Lean and lithe, Jenkins was known for relentless intensity on the field, demanding the highest performance standards from himself and his teammates.Voted team captain as a senior, this no-nonsense vocal leader was a starter on four Big Ten title teams, twice playing in the national championship game.

Earning consensus All-America accolades and a unanimous all-Big Ten selection, Jenkins realized one of his long-time goals when he won the 2008 Jim Thorpe Award over players from USC and Tennessee. The Piscataway, N.J., product was the first-round draft pick of the NFL’s New Orleans Saints and graduated in June of his senior year.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments