Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: Alex Boone (8-1)

Matt Gutridge's picture
August 1, 2015 at 8:24pm
4 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I have the majority. 

Alex Boone had a .993 comp. rating and was the 3rd ranked OT in the 2005.

Alex Boone had a .993 comp. rating and was the 3rd ranked OT in the 2005.

ON AUGUST 1, 2003 ALEX BOONE (OT) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

Excerpts of Alex Boone's high school career per The Ohio State Team Guide:

USA Today and Parade first-team All-American ... ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 3 offensive tackle prospect in the country and the No. 20 player overall ... Rivals.com rated him the top prospect in Ohio in their January rankings ... Prep Star Magazine and ESPN's Tom Lemming both ranked him No. 3 on their lists ... Scout.com lists him as the No. 1 prospect in the Midwest and the No. 3 offensive lineman in the nation ... will already be one of Ohio State's biggest offensive linemen and has terrific footwork and a frame capable of carrying more muscle ... 2003 and 2004 first-team All-Ohio

[...]

is an aggressive blocker that enjoys driving defenders away from the line of scrimmage ... 50 knockdowns as a senior ... started at right tackle in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Jan. 15 ... was Ohio State's second commitment to its 2005 recruiting class, committing before his junior season ... will be the first student-athlete from St. Edwards High School to play football at Ohio State since Rodney Bailey (1987-1990)

Boone and Harbaugh during happier times.

Boone and Harbaugh during happier times.

Alex Boone shared his opinion on his former coach, Jim Harbaugh, for Andrea Kremer of HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel. Excerpts from an article by Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com:

“He does a great job of giving you that spark, that initial boom,” Boone explains.  “But after a while, you just want to kick his ass. . . .  He just keeps pushing you, and you’re like, ‘Dude, we got over the mountain.  Stop.  Let go.’  He kind of wore out his welcome. . . .

“I think he just pushed guys too far.  He wanted too much, demanded too much, expected too much.  You know, ‘We gotta go out and do this.  We gotta go out and do this.  We gotta go out and do this.’  And you’d be like, ‘This guy might be clinically insane.  He’s crazy.’ . . .  I think that if you’re stuck in your ways enough, eventually people are just going to say, ‘Listen, we just can’t work with this.’”

Boone had some issues with alcohol:

Boone had a DUI in 2006 then was arrested and Tased in 2009 for jumping on cars while drunk. Fortunately he turned things around.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments