Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Hometown prospect Nick Ward to Michigan State - Sign of the times?

0 HS
mockjocks's picture
April 30, 2015 at 11:05am
38 Comments

I know Ward was a coin flip to come to OSU, but reading about this doesn't make it feel any better. There are far too many Ohio kids who leave the state and have impact over the past 4 years. Thad Matta has earned the right to stay at OSU as long as he wants, he's arguably the best coach we've ever had - no question. But it seems clear to me that his health seems to be deteriorating, and that can't help recruiting - which was one of his best value-adds. 

Next year's team should surprise fans here in a good way, with low to zero expectations. The 2015 roster lacks a true leader, but looks to be full of guys who are hungrier than the regime leaving. But never truly being in the hunt for Carlton Bragg or Luke Kennard (Kansas and Duke), and seeing lesser prospects prosper on rival teams (Nigel Hayes, Aaron white, for example) make you wonder. 

Years from now I wonder if the Shannon Scott signing will signal a turning point of sorts. He played his ass off for OSU, and represented the school as well as you could ask - but Trey Burke taking you-know-who to the national championship game will forever be etched in our memories. We just saw Trey Jackson (same class, lesser prospect I know) play in two final fours. We saw Travis Trice lead his team to the final four - all from the same class, all from Ohio. Scott was the only MCD all-american, I know - but doesn't this speak to development? 

You can't hang on to Even Turner and Jon Diebler and their development forever. The vast majority of guys at OSU peak at their sophomore year (Craft, Buford, Lenzelle, Jamar Butler, on and on). 

Again, this isn't a #firematta sort of post - it's not, so don't try to make it out to be. But some basic and fair scrutiny should be allowed here. We need to also have faith in our athletic department. OSU has done for Matta as much as Matta has done for OSU. I seriously doubt over a decade later with sports becoming more and more business-like that OSU hoops would fall off the map if Matta were to step down. OSU basketball is here to stay, regardless of the coach.

-Early concerns

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments