Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Quick receiver recruiting comparison

Woodshed's picture
August 31, 2014 at 9:13am
13 Comments

After watching Hill (Texas a&m) chuck the ball 60 times on thursday, I was curious to see how many times osu had barrett throw the ball in his first game.

As we saw barrett threw it 15 times. Was that normal for this osu offense? No it was a little low but bottom line is that this coaching staff has shown that there is just no way that they will throw it anywhere near that much. Guiton threw it 34 times last years vs. fla a&m.

THAT is why guys like Kirk will typically choose an offense like a&m over an offense like osu. Urb and herman run a power run-centric spread where a&m runs a wide-open chuck-it-around spread.

These facts should also work in osu's favor with regards to RB recruiting but I digress.

dubjayfootball90's picture

I really hope we get Kirk, but I just do not see it happening. Gibson on the other hand may look at this offense and think "Man, I could really do some damage", but then again, other offenses throw more. Still, the amount of leadership the QB needs in this type of offense is huge (any offense is big). I like our chances with Gibson rather than kirk, recruit feelings aside.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Well to be fair, I don't think many teams would go pass crazy with a freshman QB that hasn't played a game since Oct. of 2012. And it doesn't help that Navy with their ground game chews the clock as well as anybody in NCAA. And it should also be mentioned the coaches concerns with the O-line. I am willing to bet that the passes will increase as the season goes on. 

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+4 HS
Woodshed's picture

I am 100% sure that the pass attempts will increase as confidence in barrett and the OL grow. I guess my point is simply that even if they were 100% confident in both, OSU would not come close to 60 attempts most of the time. The offensive philosophy is just different.

+1 HS
crusher's picture

Agree. That's why A&M might be more attractive to a WR but not so much for RB's since they don't get many carries.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

allinosu's picture

As sad at it is to say I don't feel good about Kirk.  After looking at the twitters of Harris which everything is KU, I think he stays home. I hope Gibson doesn't opt to change his mind again and although it could happen, we have good bettors chance with him. I would've been nice to see our tight ends involved some so recruits have something to see and consider. We heard all spring and summer about our talent there and not one play designed to utilize that talent.

+2 HS
robobuck's picture

They were utilized as blockers on a line in need of help. If the OL improves watch for more TE passes

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

-1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

As pass protection improves along with Barrett's confidence the offense will expand more and more, and the passing attempts will go up. We also have some electric running backs which takes away from the passing attempts. I'd rather have a balanced offense, then just throwing it all over the place.

-1 HS
Woodshed's picture

I would also prefer more balance. Just making a recruiting comparison.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

There's no way A&M's performance Thursday doesn't sway Kirk. I thought that immediately after the game Thursday. To be fair, there's nothing OSU could've done to offset that impression. I think the battle is now more uphill than ever. 

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

In all honesty, I thought Kirk was gone awhile ago. Not because of anything to do with OSU or OSU WR recruiting (OSU has done a fantastic job of recruiting WRs like Kirk [small speedy playmakers]; I do get that Kirk's talent level is unique), but moreso because there has been smoke with Kirk to A&M for months now. Kind of reminds me of the Myles Garrett recruitment last year. He had interest in some other schools for awhile, but you got the feeling for the last several months of his recruitment that he had decided on A&M behind the scenes. I get the same feeling about Kirk.

I'm okay with it though, even though some OSU fans may disagree with me, I really think OSU has fantastic depth at WR. Especially when it comes to dynamic, small playmakers. The one WR recruit I'm dying for is the 6'3 / 210 / 4.5 type ala Kevin White who balled out for WVU last night. Kid was going over FSU's elite CBs to make plays all night long. WRs with that frame + skillset create SUCH a competitive disadvantage.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Like Jeff Greene?  I agree. I just don't understand why we don't utilize this kind of talent. 

-2 HS
lljjgg's picture

Michael Thomas getting some playing time yesterday was a step in the right direction if OSU is going to recruit elite big WRs. I think the Justin Layne recruitment (top150 2016 Ohio WR [6'3"/175/4.6] recruit) will be an interesting one to watch from that perspective. Some guys will buy in because it's OSU or they're Ohioans, but if OSU is going to recruit the Laquon Treadwell's of the world (or even Van Jefferson's), you have to be able to show they have a place in your system IMO.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I too would like to see explosive tall receivers as well.  I think we will get Lawrence Cager, and he will develop into a game changer. Good to see Michael Thomas contributing too.  Let's hope he gets his number called more after Saturdays showing.