Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Drew Richmond

UrbanBuckeye's picture
August 28, 2014 at 11:01pm
39 Comments

I have a good friend who's been a regular on the Scout recruiting boards for several years. He has a good feel for who to trust when it comes to sources. Take this FWIW, but it sounds like Richmond has made up his mind and is going to Ole Mi$$. The Laremy Tunsil and Laquon Treadwell commitments shocked me, now there's this. If this rumor holds true, then you really have to wonder what's going on in Oxford, MS. Sure, Robert Nkemdiche (brother plays for Ole Miss) and Tony Conner (Mississippi native) have good reasons for joining Moneybags Hugh Freeze and the Rebels, but Tunsil, Treadwell, and now, possibly Richmond? Like I said, take it with a grain of salt, but it's not sounding good.

Go Bucks!

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

As long as we get Burrell, this is ok. But I'd agree it's odd that there is such a draw to Ole Miss as of late.

TheBadOwl's picture

Hugh Freeze is a good coach, Ole Miss has a gorgeous campus and an incredibly passionate fanbase, with great parties and relatively poor academics.

If you're looking to play college football in the south while having one hell of a good time, Ole Miss is a pretty good choice, bagman nonwithstanding.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+9 HS
Katzfan's picture

Passionate fanbase? Have you seen the stadium of the game tonight? Absolutely pathetic... just sayin. I dont know where the games,being played but it is shocking to see the lack of support in the stands there.. now the campus comment, and the girls in Oxford... thats BIG TIME! :)

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got nine guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time." -- Urban Frank Meyer  -- I LOVE THIS DUDE!! :)

+1 HS
OSU725's picture

The game is in Atlanta, but it is pretty empty stadium for the kick off to the season.

+3 HS
Katzfan's picture

Totally agree...

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got nine guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time." -- Urban Frank Meyer  -- I LOVE THIS DUDE!! :)

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Top recruits going to UK and Ole Miss over schools like Bama, OSU, LSU, etc will always shock me. I just don't get it

-1 HS
KBonay's picture

Instant playing time. 

+5 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

mediocrity and instant playing time < greatness and development 

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Maybe I am just old, but I still associate Ole Miss with racism. 

+8 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how old you are. Here's an article from this year...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/mississippi-meredith-statue/

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

That is disgusting. I had to stop reading. Man, what year is it? And we (as a society) still can't grow the f*** up?

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

bucks_4_life's picture

My wife was just telling me about a 9 year old boy that went missing here in Columbus. He was a black kid from an "unsavory" part of town. Some of the people responded with, "who gives a fu*k". I mean seriously, color of skin aside, he's a 9 year old boy who has been taken! When did people become so heartless?

The juice is worth the squeeze

+5 HS
sjOH1OSt's picture

Morgan Freeman on racism, said it best:  "when we stop referring to me as a 'black man' and you as a 'white man', and start using names, we'll make progress" -  it's f***in sickening to hear of such ignorant hatred towards someone based on something so damn irrelevant. 

LONG LIVE THE NEUTRON MAN!!

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Also with homophobia. A few football players (including Treadwell IIRC) got in trouble for heckling a gay character in a play during their theater class last year.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

CC's picture

I suggest you site a source before calling somebody a homophobe.  I can't find anything that says Treadwell was there specifically.

TheBadOwl's picture

Hence why I said "IIRC," I remembered reading that Treadwell was involved. May have been mistaken, but it's worth noting that there were ~20ish players in the class, all freshmen. But since I can't find the source saying that he was there, I'll apologize for jumping to that conclusion.

With that said, I never specifically said that he was a homophobe. Just said that I associate Ole Miss with homophobia.

Anyways, here's the story. Definite homophobic hate speech and slurs. At a play about the true story of a gay teen who was murdered due to his sexual orientation. 

Homophobic actions and words don't necessarily make someone a homophobe. They may just be ignorant. Same thing applies for racism. People can say something racist without realizing that it's a racist statement. Even without intent, the words and actions are still harmful.

What happened in this instance was pure ignorance. Their assignment was literally just to sit there and watch the play respectfully. Instead they were shouting gay slurs at the cast. That is homophobic.

So, no, I have no qualms about saying that those players did something extremely ignorant, disrespectful and homophobic.

-3 HS
Woodshed's picture

Fwiw, richmond's high school is somewhat of an ole miss pipeline.

+3 HS
Patriot4098's picture

How is that even possible?

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Well Ole Miss has this year or next year to make serious noise or else its just a fluke in recruiting. The experts (the same ones that put South Carolina at #9) feel that Ole Miss could challenge for the SEC title this year. I don't see it happening. It'll be interesting but Im still in the group that feels its just a bit of SEC cheating thats ignored by the NCAA. 

-1 HS
crusher's picture

Using the old They must be paying him excuse is a bit played out. Sometimes kids buy into what certain coaches are selling. Freeze may just be an awesome salesman. You can't win every recruiting battle and blaming it on some shady recruiting practices comes off petty. I see it from other fan bases when we beat out their team for a kid. They accuse Urban of the same stuff. Please don't be that sour grapes guy that just can't admit when his team loses. We are better than that. If he goes to Ole Miss we should just wish him good luck and move to the next kid. The silver lining would be the epic meltdown of the Tennessee fan base. Going to their recruiting sites when they lose out on a recruit is always entertaining. Go Bucks beat Navy!!

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Everything nationally has been negative since Braxton's injury. We need these next 8 days to be over with to show we still have it and put us back in the spotlight in a  positive manner. With the number of very talented recruits coming to the VT game we need to show up big.

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Anybody want to guess on how full the stadium will be for OSU vs Navy?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
BeatTTUN's picture

Just checked stubhub, only 648 seats left.

Another Scarlet Invasion

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan

whiskeyjuice's picture

Awesome!! Thanks for checking on that!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

buckeyes1934's picture

You have to understand Memphis for this to make sense. The city of memphis in general is a strong pipeline to Mississippi schools (Ole Miss, Miss St.). The kids have stronger ties to those schools than Univ. of Tennessee because of where Memphis is located in the state. It kind of reminds me of Cincinnati in regards to Ohio. People in Nashville and Knoxville dismiss Memphis as a large Tennessee city. It was the same feel I felt in Columbus in regards to Cincy (my home city). Much like the disconnect between Cincy and Ohio, people in Tennessee feel the same about Memphis.

+2 HS
northernchild's picture

very true. I live in Nashville and sometimes people accidentally say stuff like "I wish we had an nba team in tn..." Really nobody cares about Memphis here. Also, I've coincidentally found that a lot of people in Memphis are from Mississippi, so I wouldn't be surprised at it being a pipeline to those schools.

Soggy_McMuffin's picture

I'm tired of all these recruits saying how much they love OSU and it's there Dream school or what not. Only to go to all these Booty Ass programs.

Gooz-fra-bah...

-3 HS
NH-IO's picture

Booty Ass programs?

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I'm guessing that must be a proper noun since it's capitalized.

+4 HS
otrain2416's picture

Take this FWIW but one of my best friends is the head film guy for the Ole Miss football team. I actually thought things looked a little fishy down there and asked him about it. The fact is Coach Freeze is a great coach and he'll of a recruiter. He's very passionate, has high energy, and kids wanna go play for him. Everything I've heard is he is a class act and does things by the books. I've also spoken to a high school coach who runs a power house program in Mississippi who says the same thing.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Pssh, this is 11W, if any school that's not Ohio State lands a recruit it's because they're cheating.

lljjgg's picture

Outside of the pipeline effect Woodshed mentioned (which I've read a few places as well), I'm not actually super surprised when recruits go to places like Ole Miss, Tennessee, PSU. If you have a team with at least decent history (Tennessee and PSU are great historical football teams) and a relatively passionate coach, it's very easy to sell recruits on a few things the first few years you're there:
1) We have no depth yet, you would start right away
2) We have a fanbase that really wants to support a winner, you can get us there
3) We're a "program on the rise" (if you've hit bottom there's nowhere to go BUT up...or stay at the bottom, in which case the coach will be out of there in a few years anyway)

Almost every interview I hear from an elite recruit goes, "I want a good education, I want good relationships with the coaching staff, and I want to start right away." Unless the recruit's definition of "good education" is Stanford, Northwestern, etc., they don't really care whether the school is Notre Dame or Alabama, so the coach honestly just has to sell them on the last two -- which are easy to do at a program that is bad (most programs that are losing a lot of games are lacking quality depth).

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

One other point that ALL SEC bottom feeders sell is the fact that if you come to their school, you get to play against the best college players in the nation.

It is 100% true and you can bet that OSU has lost players based not only on location, but also on who they play week in and week out.

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Absolutely. That's one reason why I like to see other B1G teams do well (except against OSU). When you have good UM, PSU, UW, MSU, NEB teams, you have more excitement for recruits to join the B1G (and by extension OSU). Many top recruits want to be able to say they've played -- and succeeded against -- the best. One unfortunate element of OSU's scheduling the last couple of years (which will thankfully change as of the OOC games against Oklahoma, Oregon, etc.) is that given the B1G's being down and lack of quality OOC opponents, OSU has only really been able to claim they play elite teams 2-3 times a year (MSU or UM depending on whether they're up/down + the bowl game). I've actually read quite a few recruits over the last couple of years who were huge on OSU, but honestly stated they wished OSU played a more competitive schedule.

+1 HS
Brutus1972's picture

Hugh Freeze is an excellent recruiter and "The Grove" is a place of legend still on my college football bucket list. You can't be surprised when a kid that grew up in a southern education system decides to stay in the south to attend college. Why go farther away from home, have to work harder in the classroom and work harder to get on the field at tOSU when you can stay close to home, get by in the classroom and more than likely see early playing time at Ole Miss? Doesn't sound like it would be that hard of a sale to me. I am surprised that you are surprised. They aint come here to play school.

OSUlewis's picture

Seems to have a good sense of humor as well... 

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2014/8/26/6070637/coach-hugh-freeze-likes...

Nice little way of ending 2-a-days.

305Buck's picture

Read on 247sports awhile back from someone who played against Richmond last year that this could possibly happen. Kid stated that a ton of Ole Miss boosters work at and around Richmond's school.

-1 HS
Woodshed's picture

The crystal balls have started to shift to OM. 

Usually a very bad sign. At least tenn won't get him.