Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Damien Harris Update

bucknut8's picture
August 25, 2014 at 9:40pm
85 Comments

Damien Harris Update on his Official Visit

whiskeyjuice's picture

Uhhhhh, so what's the update???

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+9 HS
bucknut8's picture

Sorry I accidentally hit post before I was even finished cuz Im trying to imbed the tweet 

#Buckeyes

+2 HS
bucknut8's picture

Damien Harris just tweeted that he had a conversation with Meyer & the staff & he will take his official visit September 6 for the Virginia Tech game. This game is hosting ALOT of studs! 

#Buckeyes

+11 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Damn, man. That week is going to be amazing

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
bbb's picture

edit: update in post above

bucknut8's picture

Im trying imbed the tweet. If someone could help me post it that would be awesome. 

#Buckeyes

THE's picture

It might work if you try to embed it. 

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

bucknut8's picture

My bad for the spelling error. But along day. Work 12 hrs & then class for 3 hrs. Im just trying to provide some info for people. Not tryna be the grammer police

#Buckeyes

+6 HS
THE's picture
Either way, we skrong den. 
+1

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

+18 HS
rdubs's picture
+20 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Man that game will be huge for recruiting.

+3 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

Love getting Harris and Gibson on campus together. 

+2 HS
KBonay's picture
+3 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

That's what's up...

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Looking forward to that game!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Anyone else hoping there's a bron sighting that night! Hugh night. Could be wrong but sweat, TG6, Harris, toliver, etc. 

+12 HS
Texasbucksfan's picture

Don't forget Cager.  He is supposed to be there and has said in the past that he and Gibson has talked about playing together.  

+4 HS
904buckeye's picture

#1 running back and the #1 QB? YES PLEASE!!!

GO BUCKS. BEAT MISSAGAIN

+10 HS
highwire's picture

TG is the #1 DT QB.

+7 HS
Nutty's picture

I've seen him ranked as the #1 athlete but not DT QB. I must not be looking in the same places.

OSU069's picture

The next time the rankings come out he will be a DT-QB. He is definitely a good enough passer to be a QB with his athletic abilities. 

+1 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Get LeBron in a room with Harris, Sweat, and Gibson please. 

+11 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

The great recruiting weekend just keeps getting better!

KBonay's picture

And this....(he forgot about Kevin Toliver II)

+5 HS
SilverState's picture

Just need to get Kirk now...

+4 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Triple Boom... Fifteen Star Friday...

+9 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

For the sites sake I hope that doesn't happen, the servers might actually explode. One a day for 3 days would be bad enough.

+7 HS
bethmowins's picture

11w servers post VA tech.

+24 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Is that because your doing the game?  Lol

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Just wondering, but is that when Hilliard is visiting? I am assuming that as much as he talked about wanting to play together, he'd try to be in Columbus the same weekend as Harris... I hope he can make something work.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

“@JayRock_9: Me @JHilliard47 Damien_D1Harris @quick_tg6 and Josh Sweat at the Virginia tech game I smell 3 more 5 star commits” I'm in there

From Lawrence Cager-

+7 HS
Woodshed's picture

AFAIK, Hilliard will be at all the home games.

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

Rock said expect a commitment...  Dare he add an "s" to the end???

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

IMO it's cager. 

+1 HS
Silver_bullet_tex's picture

That is Jashon Cornell.

Woodshed's picture

I mean cager will be the commit.

+1 HS
toledobuckeyefanjim's picture

The one thing Meyer can promise Harris is that the Buckeyes' OL will open holes for him, while the TSUN's OL will give him no running room.

Buckeye Colin's picture

First game back in the shoe, night game, vs a Power 5 school, student section crazy at night...... makes for a dream situation for hosting big time recruits!

"My idea of a good hit is when the guy wakes up on the sidelines with train whistles blowing in his head." - Jack Tatum

+4 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

Getting them for an early season night game is also key because they experience it and then we play 4 more night games. Not all in the shoe, but that intensity resonates imo. Get Em urbz!

OSUpawn's picture

Meyer has found the fish. It's time to reel them in!  

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+1 HS
zenshade's picture

Damien Harris and Kirk are the two recruits that I'm most excited about this year. Landing either would be phenomenal. IMO, both are on that next level of elite, like a 5 star plus player.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd pick Harris. He's the best HS running back I've seen in several years.

To me, Harris looks like he has Maurice Clarett's vision and instincts, Beanie Wells balance and nimble feet and Antonio Pittman's elite speed.

+2 HS
rosenbuck's picture

Not to poo-poo Harris in any way, but you should check out some of Leonard Fournette's tape.  He's gonna be a monster this year.

+7 HS
irishfury's picture

This guy is the closest thing I've seen to Adrien Peterson.

+1 HS
saltybuck61's picture

I never remember Antonio Pittman having elite speed. I could be wrong, but I just remember him as a solid back. Speedy running backs of late (at least that I can recall) are Brandon Saine, Lydell Ross (maybe a stretch), and Michael Wiley. I am definitely forgetting a few but for some reason those three come to mind.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Wiley had the best speed I'd seen at the position since Robert Smith. Pittman was indeed a speedster, if the numbers are accurate on his Wikipedia page. Many forget that Eddie was pretty speedy, especially for such a big back.

+10 HS
CC's picture

That has to be the best OSU football picture ever.  Funny how the lines on the field don't show.

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

That is a great photo! Never saw that one before.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I love this shot style...RBs breaking away with then D behind, staring in desperation. There are some other really good ones. I love this Eddie one because my dad and I were at that game. That win against ND on national TV, with the performances by Eddie, Glenn, and Hoying, really cemented OSU's return to college football IMO. This is probably my 2nd favorite -

Poison nuts's picture

Yeah - I agree on those types of photos being really cool. I've seen this one. (above) Super good & same style - one RB & a bunch of the opposing defense giving chase. Makes for great photos. That Eddie one is epic though...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

saltybuck61's picture

I just thought about Robert Smith right after I posted. Ohio State has been fortunate to have quite a few speed backs in the past. It never looked like Pittman was going that fast, but probably it was because he was relatively big too. 

A 4.4 forty is quite fast. Definitely surprised me.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Eddie was also very good while wearing just one shoe

zenshade's picture

Pittman was about on par with Wiley. Both of them were a bit behind Robert Smith. Saine may have been the fastest RB in OSU history, but we never got to see it due to the injuries.

The player that doesn't belong on your list is Lydell Ross. He was a 4.5 guy at best, and I doubt we ever saw better than 4.6 speed on Saturdays. He also had terrible balance/tackle breaking ability and limited vision, which explains why he struggled to get 4 YPC when Clarett was getting close to 6 behind the same line.

RubixTube's picture

I do not wish to poo-poo on the pro-Harris sentiment, but if I had to choose between Harris & Kirk, i'd much rather have Kirk commit to the good guys.  With the recent rash of WR's spurning the Bucks in favor of other southern programs, we definitely need to sign a truly elite WR to match up with all of the elite QB talent we're bringing in.

Harris is certainly a talent at RB, but I think our stable is pretty well stocked there & could take the hit if they miss on this one.

In reality, I want them both...but if I have to choose Kirk is my guy.

Never before in the history of man have lives less lived been more chronicled. - Dennis Miller

+1 HS
Jabba1977's picture

We will get him.I can feel it in my gut!!

SECHATER77

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

We will get him.I can feel it in my gut!!

I thought so as well a few days ago. Turned out to be a bad hotpocket. 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I've seen Gaff twice in person - one of the best comedians IMO

bucks_4_life's picture

Is there any other kind of hot pocket?

The juice is worth the squeeze

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

If OSU can win without BM, wouldn't that help in getting some of these 5* recruits to commit to Ohio State?

PittBuckeye's picture

Winning with or without him helps the same either way I'd guess. I think losing hurts more than winning helps, losing would look like the whole team is #5.

osu407's picture

I think it helps. It shows that we will be solid offensively for the next few years of Barrett's eligibility. Wide receivers should be more affected than the rest. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

I hope they blow out the Hokies...that wouldn't hurt right?

+1 HS
BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

I sense some sarcasm!! Lol!! 

+1 HS
BUCKSOMIES's picture

Beat them Hokies like they stole something.  That'll teach 'em.

sharks's picture

Guy from 247 said other day he thinks Gibson is a silent commit.  If true, he can do some work on the other guys during the game.  Talk about 'must win', that game could shape the program for years to come; especially with Sweat- VT is his hometown team...

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
WeAllBleedScarlet's picture

Two Questions:

Even though I've seen Harris as the #1 RB recruit, he's listed by a couple of services as a 4-star recruit.  How often are there no 5-star recruits in a class at RB?  Is this an especially weak class?

And, which recruit service do you trust most?  Are some better a rating players in certain regions or at certain positions?

Okay, so 4 questions...

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Like everyone says, don't focus on star ratings. And these kids still have their senior years to play. 

But, if you are going to look at ratings, rankings, 247's composite rating takes the average of the reputable recruiting services to get you a more unbiased look. 

BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

Harris reminds me a lot of Hyde!! Hyde was a 3 star recruit!! Star ratings mean nothing!! Coaching and kids attitude and work ethic make the player!!

-4 HS
jedkat's picture

EXCLAMATION POINTS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+8 HS
KBonay's picture

One of my biggest pet peeves. I can handle typos. But the !!! ??? Kill me. 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I'd put an exclamation point at the end of all of these sentences!

And this one!

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Hyde was a 4-star, iirc.

+3 HS
ubutango's picture

Carlos was the number one rated fullback in country coming out of high school.

+4 HS
SilverState's picture

Gotta love this:

Link: http://instagram.com/p/s8f20ZtMow/

Caption:

damienharris34
48 minutes ago
On my Carlos Hyde flow 3⃣4⃣

+5 HS
buckeyestu's picture

There was an interview with Damien Harris at Kentuckysportsradio.com earlier today. I did not have time to listen to it, and maybe someone here can enlighten the folks here about his interview. I have work to do outside today. I will listen to it later.

lljjgg's picture

http://www.talkradio1080.com/media/podcast-ksr-show-ksr/20140926-ksr-hour-2-25349556/
^His interview is the first 13 mins of this link, for anyone who'd like to listen.

My general overview of his interview:
*He genuinely does not have a top school
*Likes that if he went to Kentucky it'd only be 20 mins away, close enough for his family and friends to attend his home games every Saturday; the closeness won't be the determining factor, though.
*Wants Kentucky to show him that they're improving (that doesn't mean wins/losses according to him, just signs of improvement/life)
*Would prefer a traditional offense to a spread offense (considers Kentucky a spread offense), but will adapt to whatever
*Wants to go to a school that has a family atmosphere
*Is watching to see how the teams in his final 5 use their RBs
*Loves the tradition of schools like OSU and Alabama; has dreamed about adding to the tradition of a historical power
*Does feel some pressure to choose Kentucky, but won't let that affect his decision
*Will decide on December 12th, doesn't know what university he'd pick if he had to pick now

^So no breaking news necessarily, but interesting nevertheless.

+4 HS
SonOfBuckeye's picture

Thanks for going to the trouble to write a summary.

+3 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

He also said he wants to major in Astronomy. In my opinion, that's one of the biggest takeaways. OSU has a top-ranked astronomy program - ranked right up there with some ivy-league schools. I'm not sure UK or Alabama has much of an astronomy program, if at all.

+2 HS
GregNJ's picture

I could be wrong but I don't believe Kentucky even has an Astronomy Department while Ohio State has one of the better ones. To me this is a really big deal for a kid who is clearly smart and whats to enroll in a major like that. (Not Easy)

logamaniac's picture

Haha yeah it's always great when you hear from your friends how hard a class they thought was going to be an easy A turns out to be one of the more difficult classes of their semester. 

RunEddieRun1983's picture

Uh... Kentucky for sure has an astronomy department, ranking right up there with the very best schools in the country...  Where do you think Miss Cleo learned do her thang??...  Oh wait...

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Harris with a 3 yard TD rush as time expires to take the lead and win the game! Wow!