Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Post-Dwyer: Gibson on VT game and Top 3

SilverState's picture
August 25, 2014 at 11:34am
45 Comments

Things are looking pretty good (though, as Birm suggested, analysts may be underestimating Arizona and Oklahoma.)

When asked what Gibson plans to take from the visit? He told me following his game, "I want to go up there and have a good time with all of the recruits. The last time I was there I liked it. I'll get a chance to see Braxton. He is real cool and we have a good bond. We joked a lot when I was up there last time. I look up to him and we have the same ability on the field, so there's a connection."

Gibson said Arizona and Oklahoma were in his top three. Both schools want him at quarterback and that is the only position he wants to play at the next level. The 247Sports Crystal Ball has him as a 55% lock to Ohio State.

Gibson added, "Ohio State is my clear leader. I like the offense they run, I really like everything. I know it's cold, but it's cold in the NFL too. The most important thing is they want me a quarterback, not athlete."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2173895-kynons-korner-the-ripple-effe...

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

"I know it's cold, but it's cold in the NFL too"

I wish more SEC regional talent noticed and understands this. 

+24 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Dixon said something similar to this as well

UFM_Renewal

+14 HS
braneli's picture

I think it's a big selling point that Meyer and his staff are pushing.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

+5 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Yea, if you want to play at the next level, you are going to have to play several games in cold weather. Just the way it is. Why limit yourself in college just because you don't want to go North

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

Buckeye Knight's picture

Not only that, but I've played football under both extreme conditions, I'll take snow instead 100 degree heat ANY DAY.

+3 HS
ronbizi's picture

That's what makes the good ole USA so awesome!  Me and you have two completely different thoughts on weather, and can both live in the same country happily!

Edit:  I just realized that I misunderstood you!  I would much rather play football in snow than 100 degree heat. 

ponder10's picture

My question would be about the glut we would have at QB if he does commit to Ohio State... Braxton, JT Barrett, Cardale (?), Stephen Collier, Torrance Gibson and Danny Clark (obviously a few years away). But, it's a good problem to have.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

TheBadOwl's picture

It's the best problem to have.

Assuming no transfers (Which we can't), this is what the depth chart will look like for the future.

2015: Braxton (rSr), JT (rSo), Cardale (rJr), Collier (rFr) Gibson (Fr-redshirting) and Burrow (Fr-Redshirting)

2016: JT (rJr), Cardale (rSr), Collier (rSo), Gibson (rFr), Burrow (rFr), Haskins/whoever (Fr - redshirting)

JT will likely have graduated by then, and with his skillset, I think he's a good candidate to declare early after the 2016 season, leaving the 2017 QB race wide open.

2017: Collier (rJr), Gibson (rSo), Burrow (rSo), Haskins (rFr), Clark (true frosh)

Collier's beefed up quite a bit since he came into the program, he'll have a Tebow-ish physique by then. Gibson is the best athlete of the bunch, and by then, he'll be in his third year of college coaching and having his mechanics tweaked. Burrow looks like an Alex Smith clone, and Smith broke out his 3rd year. Haskins and Clark both have a ton of upside and they'll push for playing time as well.

Urban's downfall at Florida was due to not having a good quarterback. Brantley wasn't a good fit for the system, and his backups were Trey Burton and Jordan Reed, who couldn't throw to save their lives (but they're both NFL tight ends now, so good for them).

Looks like he won't have that problem here.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
TaeKwonTyler's picture

I like how you broke this down but I cant believe that Gibson wouldnt leap frog JT in 2016. Too much talent/athleticism and will have the offense down to a T after redshirting

2015: Braxton(if he stays), JT, Cardale, Collier, Gibson/Burrow (redshirt)

2016: Gibson(beats out JT), JT, Cardale, Collier, Burrow

2017: Gibson, JT, Collier, Burrow, Clark(redshirt) 

allinosu's picture

Yea, high school talent. He doesn't beat out JT until he works a year or two on short routes and his consistency.

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

No way does Gibson come in and beat JT. JT has been described as Guitonish and really, he's like the perfect blend of Braxton & Smooth Jazz - he's a distributor like Kenny G and by all accounts, an EXCELLENT leader (the ONLY Freshman on the LEADERSHIP council), and he's got better wheels than most are expecting. I'd say he's ability is right in line with other dual threats like Mariotta & Hundley. NOBODY was running like Braxton at QB last season and that was likely to repeat this season, but WHEN JT excels as the leader of this offense, a guy with two years in the system, a great leader of men, moves the chains on offense, calm demeanor, accurate intermediate throws, underrated deep ball - with a bunch a guys with a chip on their shoulder and speed to burn?

TG6 has talent, but he's still gotta learn the offense, still gotta get baptized by the Silver Bullets. We can't forget that this kid has been practicing against our aggressive press coverage, and our new offensive line who have been preparing against our D-Line which many believe is the best or among the best in the country!!!

It feels like we already had an edge and a mission and now we've even been made the underdogs to some extent.

Have faith!

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
irishfury's picture

Its weird to me that people call him Guitonish.  According to people that saw him play in Texas say he is an amazing athlete and has a cannon arm.  Completly diff then we hear.

osu07asu10's picture

and has a cannon arm.

Arm strength has always been a question mark with JT.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I think Gibson would end up as the starter in 2017, his third year in the program. JT already having a year of starting experience and spending 2015 as Braxton's backup would give him a huge edge.

Also it's worth pointing out that I wasn't putting that out there as a true depth chart, I was listing them by seniority. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

If JT lives up to the hype this year he will be a 3 year starter. He will be the best backup in the country next year, and a valuable one at that considering Braxton's health issues.

2016-2017 Barrett will take over and in my opinion play here until he graduates. I see his ceiling being Troy Smith (yes I know, I know) but in an uptempo offense . I can see a scenario where Gibson would get some PT at QB, but he would be wise to take the Devin Gardner route.

2018-2019 Gibson takes over full time after being the 2nd string QB and repping in at WR for the past two seasons. He would have developed tremendously by this time and would no doubt be one of the best QBs in the country. Heisman.

After Gibson turns pro the QB battle will be between (RS) Junior Dwayne Haskins and (RS) Soph Danny Clark.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

2016-2017 Barrett will take over and in my opinion play here until he graduates.

The football/athlete academic track at Ohio State means that most athletes graduate in 4 years or fewer. Braxton early enrolled, didn't redshirt, and he's graduating in December, which will be four academic years for him due to the early enrollment.

JT early enrolled AND took a redshirt year, so his courseload last year was probably heavier than the non-redshirting players. I'd be shocked if he doesn't graduate in four years – so winter of 2016 – and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has his degree by the end of Summer 2016.

Of course, in that scenario, he could absolutely stay enrolled in classes (i.e. ballroom dancing or yoga) and focus on refining/perfecting his game. I could absolutely see that. But I could also see him sticking around through his RS Junior year  (still four years here) and then going to the draft.

So, I think Gibson takes over in 2017 with a lot of competition from Collier, Burrow and Haskins. I think we'd see Collier in a goal-line package like how Urban used Tebow at Florida, too, since he's put on a lot of good weight. I could see him playing at around 230-235 and being a complete tank.

whiskeyjuice's picture

It's all about the competition between each of them that helps them to be better.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

MackRM408's picture

Its not like Ohio is in the Arctic

+3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

No, but if you've spent your whole life in South Florida, it might seem like it.

+2 HS
SilverState's picture

Watching the Dwyer game yesterday, I don't know whether I'd prefer playing in the extreme heat, versus colder weather.

+3 HS
Gray Box's picture

Heritage routs Dwyer 49-23 in preseason clash:

+2 HS
sharks's picture

Nm

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

KBonay's picture

If you watched the game yesterday, you would have noticed they run the exact same offense that we have run. Right in TG's wheelhouse. 

+3 HS
SilverState's picture

Stud QB, Torrance Gibson (@quick_tg6) tells us he plans on visiting Norman for the OU vs. Tennessee game: http://t.co/gXG0KoKe0x

OSU069's picture

Irrelevant. This one is in the bag. He is just trying to keep it interesting. 

+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

I know it's cold, but it's cold in the NFL too. 

That part really spoke volumes to me.

+2 HS
FormerBuck's picture

First off, in no way, shape, or form, is Braxton coming back next year.  Add to that, Cardale will most likely transfer after being a backup this season.  And I certainly wouldn't blame him. He has the talent to play somewhere, and possibly in the NFL, but he won't get that chance being a backup here.  I see us having 4 QBs on scholly next year and the order being

JT, Collier, Burrow, and Gibson

-8 HS
BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

I couldn't agree more!!! A lot of fans excited for Braxton next year!! But I feel the same exact way!! He will NOT play college football next season!! I like your depth chart on the qbs also!! 

-8 HS
bethmowins's picture

Not coming back = no chance of being drafted. At draft time it will be a year and half since he's seen game action, has minimal football action even, and an unproven shoulder.

EDIT: and coming back gives ample time to get his graduate degree under scholly if football doesn't pan out.

Also, whose to say Cardale doesn't play this year? JT is not leaps and bounds above Cardale.

+5 HS
Murph32's picture

Exactly what I was thinking Beth. If he didn't go pro after last season what would make him goc after missing a year assuming he wants to play QB.

+2 HS
BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

So if JT plays great and takes hold of the starting job and pulls a Jamie's Winston type season for us-we sit him next year? Because Braxton is coming back coming off a major injury? Braxton is a bad ass and wish he never got hurt! But there is positives and negatives to each side!!

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Braxton isn't going for the draft unless he changes positions. If JT lights it up, I think Braxton will come back and compete for the starting job. If he loses, he has two options.

1. Switch positions
  2. Transfer (will have already graduated, won't have to sit out, will start almost anywhere)

Braxton wants to play quarterback, and he loves Ohio State. And we're forgetting how insanely good he has been the last two years. He's coming back, he'll have an absolutely loaded team, and the Buckeyes will win a title with him at the helm.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Can you imagine playing college football the entire season without having to take any classes because you've gratuated - AWESOME

+2 HS
Adam21's picture

He would still have to be enrolled in some type of classes. 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Cool - didn't know - I guess they would only be filler classes and nothing serious huh?

rampageripster's picture

He'll be in graduate school... so no dice there

Cause I couldn't go for three

-1 HS
Habu71's picture

I was going to say yes, I can easily imagine going to college and not going to my classes. Yet you said playing football, not failing miserably in your attempt to play collegiate baseball. So I guess I really can't identify.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

How would you know this as a fact? He has stated that he will. Obviously he could change his mind but as of right now he will be back. 

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Make sure you forward that information to the coaching staff.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Why won't he be back and compete for QB next year? Is this a guess or has there been an update?

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

There has been no update. They just stated it like it's a fact. 

FormerBuck's picture

I guess I should have stated "it is my opinion and the opinion of several people in the know" that Braxton won't be back as QB. The ONLY way it is a possibility is if Barrett is awful this season, which they don't see happening.  Urban will not sit Barrett for a season to appease Braxton's goal of being a QB in the nfl.  He would however, welcome him back as an athlete that may play some QB in certain formations.

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

What are you talking about? Even if Barrett is solid, if Braxton is completely healthy next year he will be the starter as he is a 2 time big ten OPOTY and is one of the most decorated offensive players in big ten history. Barrett would have to be unbelievable this season for Urban to not welcome Braxton back as the starting QB.

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

My cousin's best friend's uncle's neighbor said----

SilverState's picture

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1439143.html

He's set an official the weekend after V. Tech. Hopefully, the staff can convince him that there's no need.

"My interest in strong in Oklahoma," said Gibson. "I am talking to Coach [Bob] Stoops and Coach [Josh] Heupel the most.

"I like that Oklahoma is giving me the opportunity to play quarterback and how they are staying in touch with me. It also is a great business school."