Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

American Heritage: Torrance Gibson

305Buck's picture
August 24, 2014 at 3:15pm
143 Comments

Anyone else watching the American Heritage game on ESPN right now? Gibson is taking the field next for the first time after this commercial break.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Watching right now.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-1 HS
TheToledoBuckeye's picture

Wish I could watch. Stuck at work right now. Is there anyway to look up a live box score for the game? Or do they not do that for high school games.

"Buckeye, born and bred" - Cris Carter

305Buck's picture

Don't think they do it for high school.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Not looking so good right now. Ball snapped over his head and now it's 3rd and 37.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

305Buck's picture

Yea they had a nice drive going until that snap.

whiskeyjuice's picture

To each their own but the male cheerleader looks out of place for Heritage. Don't male cheerleaders for college usually yell into cone horns and throw the girls around? This was the first I have seen a guy using pom poms with the girls.

+3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Gibson is setting up a big play. 

+1 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Heritage's runningback has some speed!

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Kid is a sophomore. Damn. 

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Gibson reading the zone-read excellent so far.

The runningback will be a national recruit by time this season is over.

+2 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

I can't tell if Gibson is reading the zone perfectly or if they're handing off by design to setup the keep later.

The interior line for Heritage is just bulldozing Dwyer, so there's no need for TG to keep yet.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

whiskeyjuice's picture

The RB's are picking up some nice yardage. You know a deep play action pass has to be coming up soon.

305Buck's picture

I don't think it's by design, Gibson handing off is purely on him reading the defense. Pre-determining a zone-read is the worst thing to do.

+1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

I'm not sure I agree.

Calling plays that make the defense account for TG as a runner even though he isn't the designed ballcarrier opens up your playbook. I understand what you're saying as a general rule of thumb, but when you're in the lead you can throw a couple of plays away to get the defense flowing towards your base option. We'll see in the 4th if TG doesn't keep it more often.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

The Rill Dill's picture

It is not a 'zone' read,  It is a 'man' read.  

Buckeye On Elba's picture

Wow. A really nice toss and catch there for Dwyer just prior to their touchdown. I'm impressed the WR held on. Good for him.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Urban needs to offer number 11, will help land Gibson.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Gibson around the corner and dives into the end zone. Looks quick!! ..........................but there is a flag on the play.

whiskeyjuice's picture

lol, since that TD was taking back, TG just threw a TD screen on the next play.

+2 HS
Buckeye On Elba's picture

Six of one, half dozen of the other? Nice.

buckguyfan1's picture

Efficient.

recruit his OL Tackles as well. 

+1 HS

That is a grown ass line right there. A grown ass line.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Crap. Just got sacked.

Buckeye4life23's picture

Two blocked punts in the game already. 

Muck Fichigan that is all.

305Buck's picture

72 yard td pass from Gibson

+1 HS
Scott's picture

And 50 of those yards were the throw. Awesome.

Class of 2008

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Looked good and accurate. The ball was about 37 yards in the air with the receiver running the rest of the way. How far can TG toss it I wonder?

BuckeyeGroove's picture

wooot!!!! On The Money!!!

So far. 2 completions , 2 Touchdowns. I like the efficiency

+1 HS
almurray10's picture

WOW. Gibson just delivered an absolute strike on that deep ball. I'd say Urban and Tom can work with that.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Holy fucking shit that was a 72 yard bomb right on the money folks.. AMAZING

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Holy shit. I rarely cuss, but that 72 yard touchdown to end the half ended all my doubts of him playing quarterback.

+4 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

He seems to float the ball a bit because he is trying to throw it accurately. He has a decent arm but doesn't trust it yet.

I see the potential but he has a while to go as a QB. Will be something once he does.

Well...lol.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

Buckeye1996's picture

Nice 72 yd dart. I'm impressed. I'm starting to really want this guy. :)

+3 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

never doubted the kid, how his he looking?

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
CuseGirl's picture

Has one big throw, a 50 yard rope basically. But they don't throw the ball with him really. And while I'd like to say "Oh, they just wanna be physical, passing isn't their game", I don't think he's a good passer and it shows. He can throw it deep, that's great. But QB'ing is about making a multitude of throws, to different points on the field. And the coaches obviously aren't comfortable with doing that with him.

And you know THIS....man!

-8 HS
lljjgg's picture

He's now thrown a screen for a TD, a 10-15 yard intermediate pass for a TD, and a 50+ yard bomb for a TD. No offense, but what more are you looking for from the kid?

Edit: Didn't downvote you, just wanted to voice my opinion on it.

+3 HS
CuseGirl's picture

I was more impressed with the screen pass than the other 2 throws. The touch, the ability to push the ball while back pedaling. The deep throws, so what? The majority of offense won't be off those throws, we know that.

I'm looking for him to be a passer, not a thrower. Heritage went a quarter and a half without throwing a pass. That's worrisome to me. I'm not worried about his physical ability. But I just see stuff I don't like.

Maybe I'm just jaded with the runners trying to be QB, but I just want a passer. I want a passer and I don't want to have think about "man, does he know how to read a defense, is he accurate enough?" 

-1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Name a pass he has missed today. 

CuseGirl's picture

2nd quarter, left side corner route. Receiver beat his man, he overthrew him. Which happens, I get it.

I need to see more of him playing like this, this season, it's as simple as that. It doesn't really matter though, I have no control over how his recruitment or career pans out.

-4 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Receiver (Johnson) layed up. 

WhySoSerious's picture

probably the coaches game plan.. maybe?

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

CuseGirl's picture

True. Heritage's O-line is comically larger than Dwyer's D-line. I just found it interesting that Heritage didn't throw on first down with Gibson. A senior D-1 caliber QB? You should be throwing the ball. They have the receivers, that's clear.

-7 HS
Knarcisi's picture

You might watch tape, but when you run the ball with the success that Heritage does, you run the damn football. 

+4 HS
edr4225's picture

whoooo that throw was nasty!!!  

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

That was a good throw. WOW

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
buckny's picture
+9 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Threw from his own 21 to the opponents 21. 60 yards in the air!

+5 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Is Urbz standing in the tunnel? 

+5 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I always knew he is going to be a great QB. 

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+3 HS
Gray Box's picture

Quick TG6 diving touchdown Vs Dwyer 2014:

+2 HS

This was called back for a holding penalty but he threw a TD on the very next play.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

Torrance Gibson to Dredrick Snelson TD:

+3 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

Hit him in stride,  send this clip to Andy Dalton so he quits making AJ Green slow down on deep balls

+4 HS
Gray Box's picture

#1 Dual-threat QB Torrance Gibson & ESPN 11th ranked prospect WR Dredrick Snelson - 3 TDs:

Gray Box's picture

2015 WR prospect Janarvis Pough beats the defense deep for a touchdown:

Buckeye1996's picture

That Dwyer team is tough as nails. They play well as a team.

+2 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

Smith for Dwyer is a champ.

CuseGirl's picture

That receiver. Who is that?

-2 HS
OSU069's picture

Dredrick Snelson. One of the top WR in 2016

+2 HS
CuseGirl's picture

"Dredrick"? "Snelson"? Smh....either way, HE'S a monster.

-2 HS
OSU069's picture

Gibson and Snelson are a deadly combo. 

+2 HS

Wow man Gibson is something very special. Another long TD pass.

OSU069's picture

Well to be fair he only threw this one like 15 yards. It still was a great throw though. 

3rd and 13 and threw an absolute rocket over the middle.

+3 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

He is showing he can throw passes to different areas of the field.

Buckeye Knight's picture

Over 100 degrees on the field. I don't care what anyone in the south says, I'll take 20 degrees and snow over 100+ degree heat for playing football any day.

+6 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

man, no doubt. i used to live in the tampa area and it's like living in an oven.

unbearable.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

I think TG has a lot of raw talent and will get nothing but better under the care of Urban & Company. He will probably make us want to pull our hair out at times but I believe his upside is enough to take a chance on if he wants in.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

OSU069's picture

Dwyer QB isn't too bad as well. 

Knarcisi's picture

This Bryant is a damn nice back. 

+1 HS
KingsRite's picture

I want #11 in a package deal. lol

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+3 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

What would a girl from The Cuse know about good QB play ???

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

She dates Greg Paulus?

+3 HS
CuseGirl's picture

What do tOSU alums know about good QB play? Same number of Buckeye and Cuse QBs in the pros right now, so what is your point?

-10 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Two of the best college QBs of the BCS era, Tim Tebow and Vince Young, both washed out in the pros. Doesn't mean they weren't great college QBs. I don't know what TG's pro chances are, and I don't really care, but he has clearly shown he deserves a chance to show what he could do as a college QB.

+6 HS
CuseGirl's picture

He was insinuating that college affiliation has anything to do with knowing what good QB'ing is. As in, Cuse football sucks, so you as a fan can't possibly know what your talking about. tOSU has undoubtedly been more successful and yet, both tOSU and Cuse, in recent memory, have produced the name number of backup QBs.

I'm not saying Gibson shouldn't play QB at any college ever. All I said is--and I had started saying it during the 2nd quarter, before the Snelson guy broke those big runs--he hadn't impressed me and I was getting reminders of other mobile QB's who eventually reached a ceiling in the passing game.

-7 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

How many Heisman winning QBs has "Cuse" produced? Anyone close to Pryor or Braxton Miller? The Buckeyes have seen an impressive run of college QBs over the last decade, a run that few college programs can match. Syracuse is not one of them.

+3 HS
KingsRite's picture

Uh oh!

KingsRite's picture

Cramp

KingsRite's picture

Boom!

6 total and 5 passing TD's against probably the best competition in the Country? I'm sold.

+5 HS
buckeyeinthechi's picture

Geesh....too easy.

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

KingsRite's picture

He can sure throw the long ball!

OSU069's picture

Torrance Gibson= beast

im sold on him playing QB completely. 

+4 HS
edr4225's picture

another nasty throw!!

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Another great TD pass. 4 TD passing and 1 rushing TD.

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

he did the Lebron james celebration!  LOL

lets go bucks!!

+5 HS
OSU069's picture

LOL just realized that rivals doesn't have him in the top 100. What a joke.

+1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

good enough to QB a college team to a National. Title in a spread offense. Questionable if he can be a good NFL  QB. A Vince Young  clone.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Anyone have a stat line for Gibson, yards and such?

I season my simple food with hunger

GVerrilli92's picture

I think they just posted 6-10 and 209 yards. What an average.

GVerrilli92's picture

I want Tarvarus Mcfadden.

+7 HS
buckeyeinthechi's picture

This

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

-1 HS
KingsRite's picture

We might have a chance with #1TM as well.

+1 HS
FtheNCAA's picture

6-10 205 yds. 4 passing tds. 1 rushing td

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Imagine him with DH and the herd of Speed... Oh my. 

GVerrilli92's picture

Snelson!! 

Edit: there are future NFLers on this field.

+3 HS

Holy hell  another 89 yard TD pass.

KingsRite's picture

That was sweet.

+1 HS
FtheNCAA's picture

LOL. 87 yard td. That kid going to Miami is a beast

+3 HS
OSU069's picture

Holy shit. Gibson and Snelson are tearing it up. Gibson needs to convince Snelson to come to OSU as well. 

+3 HS
Montana silver bullet's picture

He has a long wind up, but throws a rocket-  gimme #2 Snelson please!

Montana Silver Bullet

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture
+2 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

7-11 295 yds. 6 TDs, 5 passing TDs. He rolled out to his opposite side and threw a bullet 20 yds and his WR took it the rest of the way. He has crazy potential.

+2 HS
OSUpawn's picture

He reminds me of what JT is going to do. Get the ball into the playmakers hands. 

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

Gobucks2204's picture

5 passing touchdowns, and 1 rushing. 6 total.

blazers34's picture

The kid might not be Peyton Manning, but who the hell says he can't play QB? Looks pretty good and has all the tools to be successful

+4 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

ESPiN still has him listed as an ATH, I wonder if they'll change it to QB with all those passing TDs.

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

So I think it is safe to say that Gibson is a top  10 player in this class as a QB.

+2 HS

Tennessee sure knew what they were doing recruiting him as a wide receiver..

+11 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

Well TG had a good day.

+5 HS
armybucknut's picture

I'm sold on Gibson but man I want Snelson in the SandG

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

6 total TDs I still need some convincing. Sarcasm.

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

Did I hear wrong or did his teammate say he is an Ohio State commit? 

+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Haha you heard correctly. Thought i was hearing things 

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

I heard Gibson say at that moment ..Cleats.....It's the Cleats.....It's the Cleats Then the other Kid says something Like It's near... Ohio State Commit

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture
+16 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

Urbs needs to flip snelson. that dude is a big play waiting to happen.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

+7 HS
KBonay's picture
+10 HS
Gray Box's picture

Here's the video/audio of Snelson calling Gibson an, "Ohio State commit":

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Good Game TG!! Lokk forward to the rest of your successful season and your future commitment to OSU.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Epic Meltdown for the entire Vol nation

Quotes like - "We didn't want him anyway" will be the norm.

+11 HS
Habu71's picture

Welcome back, Seattle. Sounds like you enjoyed the vaca. All you missed here was a collective 5 stages of grief over a very popular QB's shoulder. 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I logged in every now and then to grab a few highlights until the Breaking News. So sad that Miller won't be on the field this year however as an eternal optimist I am looking forward to some great things this year from JT. Couldn't log on after the news - just had to busy myself with family and friends. 

Thanks HABU - Sounds like most of the posters in here have accepted the facts and are still very anxious for the season to start.

+4 HS
QueenCityBuckeye's picture

This piqued my curiosity. It's actually pretty entertaining reading through their thread. Silly Volunteers... 

Before the game: "Jennings > Gibson" / "Tennessee already has 3 Qb's commited in Jennings, Dormady, and Kendall. From what I've seen in actual games, all of those are better passers. Kendall and Jennings I even like better from a dual threat potential. Kendall as a sophomore shows spectacular pocket presence" 

During/Post Game: "I want him after that throw!" / "Another 65 yarder... He must suck..." / "He hit his WR in stride.....Gibson is... good" / "Happy with our QB situation, but TG is a gamer."

link

+4 HS
SoCalBuck26's picture

Top 5 movie on my list.  Well played sir.

+2 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

You only have to be a decent passing Quarterback In urbz system. I'm feeling pretty good about this Gibson kid with 2 years between now and his first chance to play in Columbus.

Get Em Urbz.

+3 HS
305Buck's picture

I believe Gibson plays St. Thomas Aquinas on ESPN next weekend, and the weekend after he faces Ocean Lakes on ESPN as well.

+5 HS
Buckman's picture

Torrance Gibson vs. Nick Bosa? Definitely watching. 

I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault.

JACK TATUM

+4 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Hopefully TG and Nick don't collide:

+5 HS
KBonay's picture

Mosquitoes refuse to bite Nick Bosa purely out of respect

+2 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

I don't know if I've ever seen a high school offense like Heritage's.

Once they gel there shouldn't be a better team in the country. With TG, Snelson, Bryun (sp? #11 RB), and that guard #79, nobody will stop that offense. Not to mention McFadden is a monster on D.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Heritage definitely has the star power. However, they are playing st Thomas Aqiunus next week who are completely stacked at just about every position. 

OSU069's picture

The tennessee forum on this game was the best. At the beginning when he was mostly just handing the ball off they were all hating on him and saying he isn't  a 5-star. Then, he proceded to throw 5 touchdowns and 290 yards on only 11 passes, throwing strikes all over the field. They were looking pretty stupid by the end. 

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

OSU needs to offer Dredrick Snelson.  I was quite impressed.

305Buck's picture

Ryan Bartow hearing from sources that Gibson has already informed the staff of his intentions to be a Buckeye. Guess thats why his teammate called him an Ohio State commit.

+2 HS