Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Josh Sweat or Christian Kirk? Pick one...

DonJuan's picture
August 18, 2014 at 11:31am
64 Comments

Sadly it's not looking too great to get either one (I think that will change after official visits take place), but if you had to pick, which one would you guys be the happiest to see come to the good guys?

Sweat looks to be the next Clowney with his freakish size and athletic ability and Kirk (according to Birm) looks to be a gamechanger that doesn't come around too often. I would personally go with Kirk just because I remember how much fun Ted Ginn Jr. was to watch and I'd like to see that again.

Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed Birms did say that Kirk was a "Can't Miss" if I'm not wrong

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I'll take Sweat.

Other than speed, can someone post some of Ginn's awesome stats?  I must have missed them, while watching him.  

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

If OSU had Ginn on the team last year they would have won the national championship. Four punt returns for touchdowns as a Freshman, all in the second half of season will never happen at Ohio State again. A lotta people are fast, Ginn and Devin Hester are the two best kick returners of all time.

+1 HS
KPChiz's picture

Sorry but Josh Cribbs is the best kick returner of all time. Also OSU would never have won the tittle last year without better DB play. Loved watching Ginn but  Gamble was the best playmaker Buckeyes ever had.

Why is abbreviated such a long word?

+1 HS
AJBor41's picture

Can't eliminate Hester from that, but yes, Hester and Cribbs IMO are the best returners.

+2 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

I was talking about college, but if you want to talk pros nobody all-time comes close to Hester.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Cribbs does, Hester just did it longer. Cribbs may very well have been the best all time for a year or so. Rule changes and a couple nagging injuries going along with nobody being even slightly scared bat the Browns offense hurt him. Dude was electric though.

chemicalwaste's picture

How exactly do you become the best ever for a year? I kid.

+1 HS
Codeezy's picture

Up voted you for your opinion because it's very respectable and arguable. But gamble, even his clutchness, being a GREAT playmaker and his versatility, wasn't the best. Joey Galloway. No one I've ever seen was just so visibly havoc to the opposing team. 

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Rill Dill :

Some Ginn stats, Career at OSU ( 2004 - 2006 ):

• 135 pass receptions ( # 7 ), for 1,943 yards ( #8 ) for 15 TDs ( # 12 ).
  • Punt returns: 64 returns for 900 yards ( #2 ) for 6 TDs ( #1 )...14.1 avg ( #2 ) ( NEAL COLZIE #1 ).
  • 4 punt returns for TD in 2004 is a record
  • KO returns: 38 for 1,012 yards 2 TDs ( tied #1 with 2 others ).  26.6 avg ( # 5 )
  •  8 return TDs ranks #1 at OSU

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

sweat, and if all projections of him being the next clowney are true, it's not close.  

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Man.

Initially thought Sweat - his talent and the talent OSU has had on the d-line, LJSR is familiar (successful) recruiting the mid-Atlantic and eastern Virginia.

But I'm choosing Kirk. I know there has been an infusion of talent at WR, and hoping to see an uptick in play from the new blood, but Kirk sounds too electric to ignore.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

cinserious's picture

SWEAT.

The last couple years, Urban has been stockpiling athletes, burners, game breakers on offense (Wilson, Marshall, Samuel, Dixon, etc.,etc.). The D-line has been building up in the same fashion but an addition like Sweat is like adding Bosa to your line,  he just wreaks total havok! 

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+6 HS
Codeezy's picture

I didn't even have to comment! I believe some of the playmakers Urban has brought in are championship caliber on the outside. Games are won in the trenches. 

ponder10's picture

Kirk Sweat, Keith Sweats cousin... true cant miss guy.

Seriously though, I'd take Kirk.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I'd take either and be as happy as a porcupine in a briar patch, but if I had to make that choice, I'd go with Sweat.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Defense wins championships.  I have a feeling this team will have no problems scoring, so a dominate D means Sweat.

On another note, didn't you used to be able to put in voting box in forums on the old site, or was I just dreaming that?

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Sweat, I don't buy the "next Clowney" stuff because I'm not sure I'll ever see another college DE that's as dominant as Clowney was (when he felt like trying). But I do think Sweat will be really really good, and I want our D-line to keep getting better and better.

Although if the consolation prize for not getting him was Kirk it would be really hard to be too upset about it as that kid is going to be something else as well.

+3 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

I'm not saying Clowney isn't a stud, but...Going back a few years ( late 70s-early 80s ), Hugh Green / Pitt and Reggie White / UT were BEASTS at DE in college football. Clowney not even close to these two. Both transitioned well to the NFL as well. Bruce Smith / VT comes to mind, also.

Clowney has the measureables and highlights, but there have been some studs ( with much better stats as well ) in the past, no reason to think it can't happen again. Yes, it may be awhile, LOL.. Just sayin..

+2 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Sweat for sure.  I have to think VOR is much higher for a talent like Sweat.  Not sure there's that same separation with all the stud WRs out there.

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

Sweat, games are won in the trenches. 

Mac..yeah

+5 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

love me some capitain Kirk, but i gotta with the mutant Sweat.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
Joebobb's picture

Both. We are ohio state. why settle for less

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

Kirk. No wait, Sweat. No, Kirk...

This could go on a while, I'll check back in later. 

gumtape's picture

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

Sims_tOSU's picture

I'd say sweat. Looking at his numbers from the opening, I'd say screw it and have him play runningback and defensive end. 

+1 HS
DonJuan's picture

And it seems Kirk just got his 5th star according to his twitter, which was long overdue

My buck's picture

Sweat... By a long shot!!!

+1 HS
KPChiz's picture

No brainer,Sweat!

Why is abbreviated such a long word?

+1 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Sweat because of the need for depth at defensive end. He and Holmes=nasty!   Gotta think there's a good shot Bosa leaves early. We need pass rushers on the outside, I feel like we are pretty set at DT, and WR as well. Especially if we get Cager.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Just guarantee me one of the two and I'm very happy.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+1 HS
AJBor41's picture

Sweat, hands down. While Kirk may impact a handful of plays a game, and I'm sure he will because he seems to be a sure-handed WR, opposing offenses must be aware of a talent like Sweat on every down. On top of that, no matter who our QB is post-Braxton there will be a learning curve to read progressions and pocket awareness, which may limit immediate impact of a WR, whereas Sweat could come in and earn a spot in the rotation immediately.

+1 HS
Sauce Bauss's picture

You win games in the trenches, Sweat no question! 

+1 HS
bakerjon's picture

Really would like to see Kirk. We need some play makers. We need some Terry Glenn/Joey Galloway-types out there that catch anything thrown in their general direction. Anyone remember this... 

Check out the catch around 2:00. We need more guys like this! Also the one at 2:40 is outstanding. When I think of WRs and play makers, I think of this game and those catches by Terry Glenn (he did it all year, too). Man I miss that 1995 team. Another Glenn-type would make our young QBs next year look much better. We have some talent at WR, but more is better IMO

"It's all ball bearings these days guys"

+2 HS
O-H-I-Owe-U's picture

Mark May remembers all too well.

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Every team in the nation every year would love to have a Terry Glenn or a Joey Galloway. But to say that Kirk could have the hands of Glenn, or the athleticism of Galloway is hard to do. In my lifetime there may have been a handful of guys who were as athletic as Galloway.

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Sweat. Kirk is amazing - but there are a number of super fast, super talented receivers at OSU right now. We'll see some of them this year & there will be more in the future. If last years team proved anything, it's that defense really does win championships, so I'd like the best defensive player in the country to be a Buckeye if possible.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
1MechEng's picture

Sweat or Kirk? Probably prefer Sweat (Def. line is always a priority), but either is a good addition for our team.

#OSUProblems ...

+1 HS
DibbleDabble's picture

I'll take Sweat.  A monster DE pass rusher has much more impact on a college game than a WR.  Easy call.

"Vision without execution is just hallucination."

+2 HS
Buckeye Colin's picture

Josh Sweat, he naturally gets it and he has such incredible natural ability. I think we are fine with our other WR targets like Cager so Kirk wouldn't hurt as bad as missing out on a rare monster like Sweat

"My idea of a good hit is when the guy wakes up on the sidelines with train whistles blowing in his head." - Jack Tatum

+1 HS
FairfaxBuckeye's picture

Sweat.  Seeing him at the Opening earlier this Summer, I'd love to have him play for the Buckeyes.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

sweat can do his thing no matter what

kirk needs a good QB, we're not guaranteed anything there.

+2 HS
SHAKENBAKE68's picture

I'd take both. National Championship rings come in both their sizes!!

Go Bucks!!

There is no such thing as "friendly fire"..

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Take the defense, and on the D-line every time.

...Sweat

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Unless you're talking about Cam Newton/Mike Vick or the like at QB then I agree. 

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Sweat

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

sweat no doubt.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

+1 HS
bucks_symphony's picture

For sure it's sweat.

+1 HS
Nick's picture

Sweat only to open up the DMV pipeline. DMV area has way more talent than AZ. Like both players though.

+1 HS
chemicalwaste's picture

I can't say anything bad about Kirk. And with that, I'd take sweat. I can't say anything bad about him either. I like the way he carries himself, the way he plays, and that type of athlete is extremely rare at that position. But in the words of Robert Frost, Kirk, "you, come too."

TheScarletNut's picture

Gotta be Sweat and from what I've heard in recent weeks Ohio State feels as if they has as good a chance as anyone

USMC11917's picture

Sweat, defense cost us big last year. Maybe it was the secondary maybe not. Till the defense is fixed, I am not worried about adding to the stock pile of offensive talent that just last year broke records everywhere. If it was secondary issue and we don't have a CB/safety option, gimme Sweat. Maybe he can personally give the QB less time to get the ball off.

Colerainbuck's picture

Seemingly both are "can't go wrongs" but I'll definitely take Sweat.

cw823's picture

Kirk.  Breaking in a new QB, we'll need WRs that can actually create separation.

irishfury's picture

Which ever one wants to be a buckeye

garyb's picture

JOSH SWEAT!!!.  Defense wins championships.  The question doesn't really make any sense, because neither player has anything to do with each as far as their position goes, one plays offense and the other defense.  Also you statement about it not looking too great doesn't make any sense either, Sweat just set an official visit to Ohio State and Kirk has NOT committed to any school.   Fixed it.

Just Grin and Barrett!

Poison nuts's picture

?

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

SilverBullet-98's picture

Sweat

"The Past Builds the Future"

Nutty's picture

Sweat. All day every day.