Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Piggy-backing off of Mike's initial AMA...Birm - AMA.

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
August 14, 2014 at 7:40pm
158 Comments

Hi. I'm Jeremy Birmingham, Eleven Warriors' director of recruiting. Ask me anything. 

bethmowins's picture

Beth Mowins or Joey Galloway?

+1 HS

Joey Galloway, definitely. He wears shorts with sports jackets on TV, and that's something I think I'd do.

e135800's picture

I would like Joey to look at Beth and say " Beth, you ignorant slut,  I'm Joey Galloway and you're not."

+6 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Oh you calling yourself director now? Does that new title come with any new perks?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

That's been my title for a while now, and the only perk is that I'm now receiving 2x as much Groveport Heisman.

FROMTHE18's picture

Where do you think Meg will commit? 

+7 HS

Stanford continues to be in the lead for Meg. They've really done a great job.

BuckeyeTrappedInSouth's picture

When do you perceive us getting a committ from an elite 2015 offensive player and who?

In Urban We Trust

That depends on whether or not EGW plays offense because if he does then it's already happened. That being said, I think when one of the major dominos (Van Jefferson, Damien Harris, Torrance Gibson, etc) falls then a few others will come right behind it. I consider Lawrence Cager the most likely to commit after Van Jefferson.

Cool, thanks.

In Urban We Trust

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Will you be Bebop to Mike's Rocksteady?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

Sure, I don't see why not. I'm fond of be-bopping-or-whatever.

Hovenaut's picture

I know the work never ends, appreciate all the efforts this off season.

So...do you plan on watching any football? (I hear it might be a good year)

+2 HS

I sure am. I really am past the point of excited for the return of actual football. Can't wait for two weeks from today.

Who will end up being the top recruiter on staff for this class, outside of one Urban Meyer and why?

In Urban We Trust

This year or ever?

Sorry, for this year only.

In Urban We Trust

Ask me again after September 6th weekend. Zach Smith's got a HUGE weekend for "his" guys.

Bucks's picture

Now that Urban has had use of a bruiser like Hyde, do you see him actually seeking prospects in that mold? If yes, who would be a current target to look out for? Thanks for all you do.

They went after LJ Scott, they've got Ezekiel Elliott - Damien Harris isn't a "small" back. The future for Ohio State tailbacks is the present. They want a guy who can carry it 25 times a game and wear defenses down.

Rob Reese's picture

Who is/was the better recruiter; John Cooper or Urban Meyer (just had a heated debate about this with associates)?

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

Interesting question - tough to argue with Cooper's results as a recruiter but it was a significantly different era 15 years ago. Cooper brought in some great players, but Meyer does too. Cooper's era was easier to recruit for Ohio State.

Knarcisi's picture

Birm, why would you say it was easier to recruit for Ohio State for Cooper?  All the TV exposure all of CFB now gets, transition of general population and football power to the south, etc?

Rob Reese's picture

tough to argue with Cooper's results as a recruiter 

No doubt.  To compound the problem, try comparing anyone's recruiting classes to Cooper's results with players that didn't just make it to the NFL, but were bona fide NFL All-Pro's.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

In your opinion, what other sites for other schools do "it" as well as you and the rest of the 11w Team.

MGoBlog is really well done, but honestly I don't read much outside of Ohio State's realm. Time and energy are not on my side.

flying-banana's picture

Do you think we end the recruiting year as the top class in the B1G?

It'll be neck and neck with Penn State, and I think right now they'll have the edge. They've got 19 and will almost certainly take 25 and Franklin's momentum could still reel in some big fish.

Living in Arizona do you ever get to make it up to Columbus for any camps,media days,spring games or other events where you can actually see the recruits interact with the coaching staff,or is it all done bytext messages,phone calls,and social media?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

I've been to every Ohio State spring game since 2004, with the exception of this year. Last summer I attended every OSU camp, Friday Night Lights, NFTC and Elite 11 in Columbus and this summer I was at NFTC, Elite 11 and The Opening. Definitely try to stay as front-and-center as possible to help develop relationships. It's important kids and their parents know who we are.

You do a top notch job Birm and most of us highly appreciate your work and efforts. When you make it big time I dont want you to forget about the little guys "Groveport Heisman, Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.,Earle,and Oyster" We fucking love you man.

-1 HS
Remington2323's picture

Where will Braxton finish in the Heisman rankings this year? Favorite kind of beer? Lastly, does Josh Sweat have a committable offer?

1. Top three as long as he doesn't miss any significant playing time.

2. Miller Lite or Dos Equis is generally where I stand.

BrowardBuckeye's picture

Logged in just to upvote the SAMCRO gif....if only I could upvote.

+13 HS
BrowardBuckeye's picture

Thanks nonetheless Kb1...

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

It's ok, even members with access to premium content can't up vote Birm. Staff is immune to our puny voting.

+1 HS
BrowardBuckeye's picture

Ahhh...got it. Thanks Pitt. Thought that counts, right?

+1 HS
kb1's picture

Tistrenc the thought lol. My bad Broward. I got you tho

Remington2323's picture

Love the gif. Good sarcasm does not need to be italicized. Go Bucks!

ronbizi's picture

Which O'line recruiting target has impressed you the most?  (Also what part of Arizona are you in?  Used to live in Scottsdale and loved going to American Junkie for Buckeyes games!)

I'm a huge fan of Matt Burrell's game. I love his intensity and how nasty he plays. Would be perfect guard in Warinner's system.

I'm in Avondale, been to Junkie once a few years ago but I generally avoid the public during games because I get a bit too involved.

BuckeyeAZOH's picture

I live up north in Kingman and I too avoid public for Buckeye games. 

Purple Raider

PittBuckeye's picture

Pancakes or french toast?

Knarcisi's picture

French toast. Oh, you meant Birm. Sorry, food is now one of my areas of expertise. 

+7 HS

French Toast, specifically, if I can help it from The Local Yolk in Manhattan Beach, California. Best french toast I've ever had.

SilverState's picture

What sparked Kirk's cooling on us?

Not really "cooled" per se - just needs more relationship building with the class.

Sebastian's picture

Who is your "Wow"  Recruit this year?

Josh Sweat is terrifying and Christian Kirk is a can't miss WR. I don't care that he's "short."

Sebastian's picture

Ginger or Mary Ann?

+5 HS

What, stick to recruiting Birm.

In Urban We Trust

+5 HS
Phillips.449's picture

Good choice!  Ann is half of Ann Arbor, and I hear that woman is a whore.

WOLFofOHIO's picture

Whats the word on josh sweat and do you think we have a great chance of landing him?

there is no greater joy than watching Michigan get slammed. in anything

"Great"? No. Good? No. A reasonable shot? Yes. Get the official visit, blow him away and make sure he knows the NFL comes calling real quick for Noah Spence and Joey Bosa...

WOLFofOHIO's picture

oh another jeremy, hows braxton? whats the word on him?

there is no greater joy than watching Michigan get slammed. in anything

He's "ok" and getting better every day just not going to be rushed by the staff. 

buckguyfan1's picture

What's your take on our recent schedule changes?

I don't even think about who OSU is playing in 2016, I could care less who they're playing in 2025. Win the next game, that's all that matters.

Of the 2015 class, who is expected to enroll early?

In Urban We Trust

Good question. I know Cornell for sure, I think Burrow, Jamel Dean, and a few others. I'll try and get a list together.

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Boxers or Briefs, Birm?

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

What if he is a thong or commando type guy?

In Urban We Trust

Ha, I guess I did say ask me anything...

Boxer-briefs, the only way to go for men of a particular age.

PittBuckeye's picture

Funny thing is I asked this same question awhile ago, don't worry guys his underwear of choice has not changed.

+1 HS
ohiowhitesnake's picture

When will my pint glasses get here?

That's something only Jason would know for sure.

ohiowhitesnake's picture

Forgot the italics

you are the man Birm

+1 HS
Sebastian's picture

Whats your most enjoyable game day experience outside of the bucks winning?

Without question it's just the chance to shut off the world for a bit and hang out with my friends and family. The last few years have taught me a lot about what it means to just enjoy time with the people that matter.

jedkat's picture

Run 100mph or fly 1mph? Why?

what's your game day routine?

Do you ever just bs with recruits and not even talk recruiting?

thanks for all you do!

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

1. Run 100mph. I'm not fond of heights.

2. Wake up, make eggs, bacon, toast, orange gatorade. Drink Miller Lite, not much else.

3. The only time I talk recruiting with prospects is when I am trying to specifically write a story. I find that most of the time they get pretty tired just repeating themselves over and over.

bedheadjc's picture

Wake up, make eggs, bacon, toast, orange gatorade

Wait...WTH?

Sebastian's picture

1) If you weren't writing what career path would you have chosen?

2) What has most surprised you about the recruiting game?

1. I have a degree in graphic design, writing was an accident. I didn't ever anticipate it being a "thing." It was more something I did one day as an outlet for some personal frustrations and it quickly blossomed from there. Growing up I always wanted to be involved in law, maybe politics.

2. I've been surprised by a lot of things, but nothing more than how quickly kids can change their mind about a school or a program. I mean, take Kentucky for example. They've literally accomplished nothing yet somehow they've become a "hot pick." 

Ahh Saturday's picture

Same question I asked Rock: rank the following recruits in order of confidence that they end up Buckeyes: Gibson, Burrell, Gallimore, Harris, Sweat.

+3 HS

Gibson

Harris

Gallimore

Burrell

Sweat

Poison nuts's picture

Damn, Burrell...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS

WWF - and not this weak WWE crap.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Trying to upvote....

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
highwire's picture

Nah...NWO for life.

+2 HS
highwire's picture

EDIT: NwO 4 life

+2 HS
AirForceNUT's picture

Would you rather be blind or deaf?

Blind. I love music.

lljjgg's picture

Hey Jeremy, thanks for answering questions as always!

Any recruit that's not getting a lot of buzz in OSU recruiting/fan circles that you think could be a dark horse to end up with OSU come NSD? (ex. I heard that 4* RB Jordan Cronkite is taking an OSU official visit; I know he's one of three RB recruits currently committed to MIami, have to think one of them bails eventuall).

Honestly, not really. This year's class is fairly narrowed in. New additions are going to come only as a result of missing on higher-ranked priorities.

Killer nuts's picture

Who is your favorite eleven warriors community member? Staff member?

+1 HS

Ha, too many great options. I'm a big fan of Hovenaut though, and I love what Gray Box and Gene do for the site.

I believe Ramzy is one of the best writers in America, and I think Chris is a satirical genius.

Buckeye Knight's picture

Birm, you are from NW Ohio?  Favorite places to eat and things to do in that area?  I used to live in Toledo, Maumee, and Perrysburg.

From Toledo, moved out of there in 2003 - nothing beats a Mud Hens game for me when I am there. Food? There's not much unique in Toledo, that's always been disappointing. I hear there's a lot of breweries and micropubs opening up soon.

PittBuckeye's picture

Ditka vs. God in golf?

I assume Ditka spends more time working on his game.

shaggybuckeye's picture

trick question Ditka is god.

+2 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

How many more guys commit to tOSU before our first game and who are they?

One - Van Jefferson.

Ahh Saturday's picture

In memory of Robin Williams, pick four heads for your comedy Mt Rushmore.

+1 HS

Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Mitch Hedberg, George Carlin

Habu71's picture

No Richard Pryor? Ok, it's your mountain.

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Stellar list!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

osu407's picture

What percentage chance would you give Davis signing with us in February?

unknownmusketeer's picture

1. When/how did you become a fan of Ohio State?

2. Favorite sports movie?

3. Personal pet peeve?

1. I was born. There was no discussion. I don't remember ever making a decision. Ironically, I was a much bigger Buckeye basketball growing up than I was a football fan. Being from Toledo the Buckeye hoops influence was impossible to ignore. Football really grabbed a hold of me around 1993-1994? 

2. Bull Durham. Quotable. Lovable. 

3. When people don't rinse out a cup or bowl that has easily congealed liquid/food particles in the sink.

BuckeyeLawyer's picture

Thank you for number 3. My wife thinks a dishwasher will clean anything. She doesn't understand that the damn dishwasher becomes a kiln and i end up having to chisel that food that she didn't rinse off the darn plate. And then I'm the jerk when I say something for the 1000th time. We will be divorced eventually and not for that but I have the same pet peeve.

+8 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I am pleasantly surprised to discover that I am not the only one!!

Seriously, when you are done using a dish or cup, it takes 3-5 seconds to rinse it off.  After that, put it in the sink, put it in the dishwasher, put it on the counter, I don't care.  Just don't leave all that crap on it to sit for a week before we bother to actually do the dishes.

This is seriously my wife and I's number 1 fight, and the funny thing is she's the one that fails to rinse, but then when she finds me scraping dishes off on Saturday morning (instead of making the coffee and/or breakfast, which I usually love to do for her), now I'm in trouble because she feels guilty about it (and she wants her coffee - I make a mean homemade mocha latte - so the fight is usually about the coffee).

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Good thing you're a lawyer.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
UrbanBuckeye's picture

Favorite offensive and defensive recruit in the Urban Era (2012 to present)?

In Urban We Trust!

I believe Raekwon McMillan/Vonn Bell are the two most important recruits in the Meyer era, so I'll go with them on defense. On offense, I love Stephen Collier, and I know he might never get the spotlight people want or whatever, but he's such an incredible kid and a person. Everything you want a person in your program to be. Curtis Samuel/Zeke are right there as far as what they'll bring to the program.

UrbanBuckeye's picture

How many more recruits do you see in this class?

In Urban We Trust!

I think you'll see 7-8 more. Buckeyes will always keep recruiting the players they want.

UrbanBuckeye's picture

Thanks, Birm. Keep up what you're doing.

In Urban We Trust!

kb1's picture

Best player you've ever seen in high school, football or basketball?

Jim Jackson at Toledo Macomber was on an absolute different level than anyone he was playing against. Absolutely dominant.

kb1's picture

I saw JJ play at Lima Senior when I was 10 or 11. That was really the reason I asked the question in the first place, and knowing you're from Toledo. Brought back memories. And I can't argue with that. He was a BEAST

+1 HS
Winfield 11's picture

If we miss out on Burrell and Richmond is Boulware a legit option? Can u see us only taking 3 OLineman? 

"We've always had The best damn band in the land...Now we have the best team in the land"...The "Senator"

Boulware is a legit option whether they miss on Burrell and/or Richmond or not. They'd gladly take 5. Boulware is a center option to replace (upgrade) James Daniels.

rosycheeks's picture

Birm, last year it seems that a strong case could be made that Ohio State failed to put its best 11 on the field on defense. (I'm specifically thinking of Brown over Bell, and there may be other instances.) How do you see this year playing out in terms of freshmen hitting the field immediately? What do you believe are the most heated youngster/veteran battles, and who do you think deserves to win those battles?

Urban Meyer is a stubborn dude, but he's also a winner and will adjust what he does to make sure he wins. If the younger guys were a "better" option last year, they'd have seen the field more. For whatever reason, the coaching staff didn't believe they were ready. I think this year you'll see guys get a shot on the field to prove they're not ready, guys like Damon Webb and Raekwon McMillan specifically will push for playing time and if the veterans don't hold up their end of the bargain, you could see them drive for playing time and lots of it.

Sebastian's picture

Name 3 things on your bucket list?

1. Going to Ireland.

2. Having a full-time writing job, I've grown very weary of having multiple jobs at once.

3. In some way, and I have no idea how, repaying my mother and father for all they've done for me in my life. 

I'm not really a guy who cares much about things, I guess.

Sebastian's picture

# 3   Birm,  I pondered that question as well and the answer is follow in there footsteps and be the best parent,  husband, and friend and pay that forward.

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

Do you still feel confident that Burrell will be a Buckeye?

-1 HS

I do, although I'll admit it's less comfortable than it was a month ago.

Winfield 11's picture

Will a spot be held for Jerome Baker in case of a flip? Do u think DeBerry is a future Buckeye and if so maybe a DE?

"We've always had The best damn band in the land...Now we have the best team in the land"...The "Senator"

Yes, they'll keep a spot for Baker if they can - but they'll need to get an indicator he's open to flipping. DeBerry is interesting, and I don't think he's a guy that will end up in the class but if he does I agree it'd likely be along the DL.

Scott's picture

Braxton did more offseason work with George Whitfield, was praised over the summer for those late-night WHAC photos, and is in the best shape of his life according to Urban. If he's been working hard all offseason, why is he being used sparingly now?

Class of 2008

+1 HS

Because he's got a surgically repaired shoulder and there's no point in wearing his arm down at all right now. 

allinosu's picture

Read some stuff that Burwell's commitment is a two horse race with FSU. Do you believe that?

I think both FSU and Florida made a big impact on Matt, but Penn State is still involved too. 

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

It seems like everyone thinks that Davis is going to decommit.  Do you see any current commits not ending up with the Buckeyes?

Go Bucks!

+1 HS

I think Davis is the mostly likely, although there's always a chance for weird things to happen. Hopefully EGW continues doing things the right way off the field, and you know, as solid as he is, Jamel Dean is always a concern just because he's so far away and you worry they can't give him the "love" throughout the season.

Onionballz's picture

When I am helping tOSU recruit by tweeting Sweat, what should I say to really make sure he knows Urban wants him? 

"You must have been eating dumbfuck sandwiches when you came up with that logic" - Ramzy

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

lol, I hope you meant to have the italics on with that question.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Onionballz's picture

I did, iPad posting prior to 5 am is apparently not my strength.  Fixed it.

"You must have been eating dumbfuck sandwiches when you came up with that logic" - Ramzy

Trick question, Josh Sweat isn't on Twitter.

KB3RG's picture

What is your favorite restaurant in Toledo

I've always loved Bambino's Pizza, it's my favorite without question. Actual sit-down type places? Tough to beat the original Mancy's.

Unky Buck's picture

Lots of questions here, Birm...

buckeyedog's picture

Would getting Torrence Gibson hurt our chances to land top wide receivers? I'd think receivers might be wary of committing to a school that had a QB "project" who I'd find myself blocking for more often than catching well-thrown balls. 

+1 HS

No, but I don't think it helps either. 

PittBuckeye's picture

Are you as disappointed in the questions in here as I am?

Anything guys, you could have asked anything, and you stick with recruiting? The man talks about that every time he logs on here. However he doesn't talk about his favorite color, his first pet, or his most embarrassing memory growing up. Gold people you all missed out on gold.

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

When you're having breakfast at Over Easy, do you opt for the carmelized banana and pecan brioche french toast or the reese's pieces pancakes?

I'm not really into sweets for breakfast. I stick with the classics, just good ol' fashioned 'Merican food.

DenBuck's picture

What is your % confidence level that we get Damien Harris? Who do you think is the most important recruit left on the board? 

Buckeye For Life

It's up there, maybe 75-percent? I don't really place any recruit "higher" on the board than others, but it's clear the Buckeyes need to get something happening at WR and defensive tackle, a guy like Neville Gallimore is important.

Rockhbuck's picture

Two part question: will Pitch Perfect 2 be awesome or a slow motion train wreck? And, what will be the deciding factor on said result: song choice, actors or plot?

1. It can never be as good as the original and I'm slightly disappointed - although not surprised - they're making a sequel. I think it's kind of a lightning never striking twice type of thing. For me, the plot cant be that much different, can it? The actors are what makes it work, and I don't know how they can replicate the cast without rehashing the same jokes, gags.

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

Birm - During a time a lot of Buckeye fans are starting to lose confidence in Jefferson to OSU, why does it seem like you are growing more confident? Has something came out recently? 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

PittBuckeye's picture

Chip Sarafin? Or is that not what you were looking for...

The longer Jefferson delays, the less confident I get in him choosing OSU. That being said, the Buckeyes have always been his favorite, and nothing has changed at Ohio State, his parents are on board, his former HS WR coach is at OSU as a grad assistant, etc. If he chooses another school, it'll be because they flat out recruited him better than the Buckeyes.

Woodshed's picture

I know it seems that Jefferson is down to tenn. and OSU, but FYI there is a receiver announcing tonight that is rumored to be choosing UGA. He will be the 3rd receiver in UGA's class along with 1 ATH.

Edit: He chose UGA, they also flipped a SSDE from Bama today giving them 4 DL commits in this class.

zebiraross's picture

Still feel confident with your crystal ball prediction for Kirk?

Zeb

If he makes his official visit on 9/6 as he's supposed to, yes.