Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Ohio State vs. Penn State Recruiting

305Buck's picture
August 13, 2014 at 11:34am
32 Comments

Steve Wiltfong ran a piece this morning about how Penn State is in good position to finish ahead of Ohio State in the recruiting rankings and most Penn State fans think so, and I couldn't help but laugh. Right now Penn State is at 250.58 with 19 commits, and Ohio State is at 214.57 with 15 commits.

Penn State is expected to take the full 25, and their fans seem to think that the 3 highest recruits they finish with are Settle, Wilkins and Whitehead. They believe they finish with those 3, along with three other lesser ranked players, but with Settle, Wilkins and Whitehead, that puts them at 271.38. They also think there's an outside chance they flip Fitzpatrick from Bama but I can't help but laugh at that. Also, Settle is in serious trouble with academics, so he may not qualify.

Alex G recently ran an article that said this class could number anywhere from 22 to 23, but I think they maybe even could get up to 24. Ohio State is expected to finish with Gallimore, Gibson, Harris, Baker, Boulware, Cager, Jefferson, and Burrell definitely. Which would put us at 281.89. With 1 more spot open for an outside chance at an highly ranked surprise prospect (Sweat, Jefferson, Kirk, etc.).

buckeyestu's picture

I hope everyone listed commits to the good guys, but I don't see Baker flipping.

+4 HS
305Buck's picture

It all depends on the type of season Florida has. I see Florida losing at least 4 or 5 games this season. They play @Bama, @FSU, vs. Georgia, vs. LSU and vs. South Carolina. They also play @Tennessee, and vs. Missouri which are both tough games as well.

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

I think Baker sees all the linebackers that are committed and has decided he values playing time over wins and losses.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+2 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

I don't know that we'll get everyone listed, but isn't PSU in trouble of losing Wimbush to Stanford?

305Buck's picture

Don't think he flips but there's a chance.

HilltopHustle's picture

Think this was shored up a few weeks ago when Wimbush said he is no longer considering Stanford either. Guessing academics would keep him away. Now he's selling his BFF Minkah Fitzpatrick on PSU. He'll be going there.

-1 HS
KBonay's picture

I don't like PSU.  And I don't know enough about Franklin to care.  But can't we just applaud PSU for what they have done with the sanctions and major overhaul.  I, for one, would like to see a more competitive B1G. 

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

No doubt Franklin is doing an amazing job. So is Michigan who's quietly putting together a top class.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

But can't we just applaud PSU

No.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+8 HS
KBonay's picture

Ha!  Fair enough.  Word selection could have been better.

+2 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Amen. Heaven forbid anybody else has a good class in the conference... and we act like adults and commend them for it.

-2 HS
HoopHal's picture

How is PSU getting 25 scholarships this year? I know the NCAA in its infinite wisdom decided to give some of the scholies back to PSU but did they give all of them back or is Franklin,since he came from the SEC,used to overcommitting.

-1 HS
sharks's picture

I think Franklin shuttled some guys off the roster a few months back.

If Settle doesn't qualify, does he go juco or SEC?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Think he goes the Juco route.

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

PSU finishing ahead of us does not seem so far-fetched to me. They started strong and, after going through the lulls that all classes go through, have had several more commits as of late (a consistency that's dogged Michigan the past two years). If Michigan finishes as strong as it appears they might, we could have three top-15 class in the B1G. You have to take off your homer glasses once in a while to see a trend that's good for the conference.

+5 HS
305Buck's picture

I see Penn State and Ohio State finishing top 10. Michigan could very well end up there as well but their numbers are a bit low, think they only plan on taking 17 this class. Just imagine if they would have held onto Harris, Campbell and Crawford. Michigan would have had a top 5 potentially top 3 class with those 3 added.

Jabba1977's picture

PSU may be rucruiting extremely well right now,but I have a feeling that when the season starts and they start losing games, a lot of recruits will flip to other schools.That is just a gut feeling that I have!!!

SECHATER77

CincyOSU's picture

SIgh....this is such a tired stance to take. Do you really think these kids aren't fully aware of the situation they are walking into? They aren't being sold on a program that's at it's prime at this very moment. They are being sold on playing time and the chance to be part of the group that brings PSU back to national relevance. I wouldn't  hold my breath for a mass exodus if PSU goes 4-8...they'll be just fine.

-1 HS
Hayze's picture

If they lose a ton (as in under 5 wins), they might lose a few guys. But otherwise they're fine.

What's most impressive about Franklin at this point isn't that he's reeling in a lot of good players. That's not hard to do your first year at a blue blood school. It's the fact that he's selling kids on the future. These recruits know PSU isn't going to be good this year. Yet they still committed.

All they have to do is show progress and they'll be fine.

+2 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Fairly accurate stance. Penn State is selling PT at a power school that's undertaking huge donor money to upgrade facilities, etc. This class they're putting together will have names in it we'll see a lot over the next 4-5 years because that's why they're going: TO PLAY EARLY.

-1 HS
Turtlebuster's picture

By most accounts UM will not have the shear numbers to finish quite that high...they will have a strong star average, but they have very limited spots remaining and a already small class.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

FWIW there is a lot of smoke regarding Minkah Fitzpatrick to PSU as well.

+3 HS
KBonay's picture
+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Yup, I just don't see Fitzpatrick leaving Bama for Penn State unless he's worried about the two 5 star corners that Bama brought in last class.

-2 HS
Hayze's picture

That and being close to home are two draws for him to Penn State.

Not saying he flips but it can't be denied, PSU has a lot going for them right now here. Doing really well recruiting NJ, his parents were with him on his visit this past weekend, he has been talking to other PSU commits, Franklin can recruit and his teammate (Wimbush) is already committed.

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

I saw that Fitzpatrick's dad replied to Wiltfong right after that saying he was just there with his friend/teammate, that it wasn't because he was serious about PSU. Also FWIW kind of thing.

I think PSU will finish with a top5 class though. It's really easy to sell a big football school with no depth to top recruits (Tennessee has done it, Michigan has done it, the list goes on). I think where we'll really see what Franklin's made of will be where his team and recruiting classes stand a few years from now when everyone has a sense of his ceiling.

+1 HS
tiph88n's picture

Spurning Saban and Bama for the B1G sounds good to me!

Pain is temporary...pride is forever!

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

PSU ends up with the No. 1 class in the B1G expect their fans to start trash talking and expect our fans to have a meltdown that Urban Meyer can't recruit. Again.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS
Swayze's picture

Still a long ways to go. 

KevinJ's picture

Whitehead just might end up with the good guys, looooooong way to February.

-1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Personally I'm glad PSU is recruiting well. Creates more competition within the conference and makes recruits want to play in the Big Ten. I've said it before I'd rather beat a top 25 PSU by ten points then an unranked PSU by seven TDs

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

They've already secured Miles Sanders, who CRUSHED it at our camp earlier this summer, and 5-star DE Shane Simmons in 2016. To say with confidence Minkah Fitzpatrick might not flip is undervaluing a head coach in Franklin that *can* recruit very, very well.

In terms of how we overcome Penn State's class this year, we'll need to fill the rest of the class with some of those big names we're after, and not so much the mystery 3-star kids. That's how we'll pass Penn State overall. That said, who is to say our class isn't more talented if we don't finish above Penn State? Queue the star-chasing discussion. FWIW I don't think we'll pass Penn State for the 2015 crown. 2016 could be special however.

-1 HS