Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

The Rock is Cooking your recruiting questions!

Mike Rockstedt's picture
August 12, 2014 at 6:32pm
64 Comments

The Rock is answering your recruiting questions! (Ok, I swear I do not call myself that). But, ladies and gents, happy Tuesday. I am going to be answering your recruiting questions here for the next half an hour or until that dinner bell rings. Fire away!!

Groveport Heisman's picture

Will we land Damien Harris in your honest opinion?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Mike Rockstedt's picture

In my opinion, I just don't think he is ultimately going to pick Kentucky. Are they a dangerous team in his recruitment? Yes. But I just don't think he is going to pick them in the end. And I think besides Ohio State, Kentucky is the most difficult. I'm picking Ohio State.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Sounds good...Thanks

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

305Buck's picture

Mike I think the timing of Harris's announcement on December 13th bodes well for Kentucky. Imo this means he's waiting to see how Kentucky season plays out. If they have a good season then he's a Wildcat, if not then he's a Buckeye. Remember Harris says if Kentucky shows improvement on the field (not necessarily in the win/loss column), then it'll be hard for him to pick against them. Lets hope Kentucky has another season like last year.

-1 HS
Mike Rockstedt's picture

No I completely agree with that, there are a lot of factors boding well for both Kentucky and Ohio State. In my opinion, I just don't think he is ultimately going to pick Kentucky.

305Buck's picture

I agree, I think he goes with his head and picks the school (Ohio State), that's best for his career and future.

-1 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

I mean, besides the "Round Mound of Touchdown", how many pros are out here from UK?

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+9 HS
BeatTTUN's picture

that Dude is the River Monster

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan

+9 HS
bodast67's picture

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+1 HS
Nashville's picture

I think just the opposite. He's going to be an early enrollee, I believe. Why announce now for Ohio State ? Then he'd have to listen to everyone both seriously and good naturedly trash the Buckeyes, B1G, etc. during his Senior season. This way he can announce on December 13, and come to Columbus a couple weeks later. 

Less hassle for an in state guy that way, I think. 

"You can never pay back, but you can always pay forward."

LouGroza's picture

OSU is setting at 15 recruits now. There have been some changes with the roster, including Frank leaving to concentrate on med school per the article today. How many more are taken for this class?

+1 HS
Mike Rockstedt's picture

That is a good question, and any answer I give you could change. I'd say somewhere from 5-7.

Grande Gustavo's picture

Birmbop?

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

+8 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Birmbop and Rockstedty

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+7 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Didn't think I would see this reference when I opened this post.

BuckeyeinSavannah's picture

Looks like Bebop skipped leg day.

+11 HS
Alpo's picture

What's your thinking with Josh Sweat? Realistic shot?

Mike Rockstedt's picture

I think we have as good a shot as anyone on his official visit list. The official visit is going to speak volumes about how realistic a shot we have.

Hilliard WB's picture

Putting a beat down on VT might help... *fingers crossed*

S-Row the Best Row

+3 HS
Hilliard WB's picture

Things are constantly changing in recruiting, but who would you peg as the remaining offensive linemen we get by February?

And additionally, if we get two more OL that will be nine in the last two classes, could that scare some away for 2016? (We have so many Ohio studs to sign at that spot!)

S-Row the Best Row

Mike Rockstedt's picture

I really, really like our chances with Burrell. I talk with Burrell a lot and I know his interest in Ohio State is very strong. I have spoken with his coach a lot and I can assure you Ohio State is going to be on any and every list until the end. Look for Florida, Florida State, and even Penn State to give us the most trouble. Richmond is another guy, who is very quiet, that could end up here. It is going to be interesting to see what he does. I'm not sure if I like our chances here.  As for another OL, Venzell Boulware is a guy that we have a good chance of landing. He is deciding between us and Tennessee and has gone on record to say that we were his best visit. I do not think that is going to scare any of them away either. But I like Ohio State to land two of those three.

305Buck's picture

I worry about Ole Miss when it comes to Richmond. More than a few people have indicated that Ole Miss boosters work at and around his school, and he's visiting Ole Miss this weekend with mom and dad.

+1 HS
Grirish Buckeye's picture

Who could potentially have a bigger impact at OSU - Sweat or Gibson?

Mike Rockstedt's picture

Sweat because if Gibson comes here, I ultimately think he would switch to WR and Sweat could have the impact Clowney did at South Carolina.

Toolface4's picture

How do you see the WR position finishing out?

Mike Rockstedt's picture

The Jefferson's have kind of shut everything down since his last couple of visits and I like Ohio State. Lawrence Cager IMO is going to be a Buckeye. He is waiting until an all-star game but could earlier.

buckguyfan1's picture

Neville Gallimore?   He is at the top of my want list... What do you think?

Mike Rockstedt's picture

Do not read too much into all the Crystal balls switching to Oklahoma. Oklahoma is the only official visit he has set up, but Ohio State is 100% getting one of his official visits, per his coach. I have spoken with his coach a lot and I know he loves Ohio State. I like our chances.

buckguyfan1's picture

Thanks Mike, you're Rock'n It.

+4 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

What's your take on Carlton Davis' commitment?  Where did it come from?  How surprised was the staff?  How likely is it to hold?

+1 HS
Mike Rockstedt's picture

To be honest I do not think anybody had this ready at all. It is weird because he said that he would still be open and taking visits. Not sure if this one is going to hold.

Hayze's picture

FWIW another site is saying it surprised the coaches as well. They thought they might get him eventually because they saw his interest at FNL but didn't think it'd be us this early.

They are also going to recruit the position (and him) like he's not in this class. Confidence isn't extremely high on him obviously.

+2 HS
kb1's picture

Carlton Davis commitment was a surprise. Who you got at another surprise commit if any?

Habu71's picture

Do you think we have a realistic shot at landing Kirk? 

+1 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Doesn't seem like Christian Kirk is going to happen.  Thoughts?

Go Bucks!

Mike Rockstedt's picture

Birm is very close with Kirk. I know Birm would agree that this is most likely not going to happen.

FROMTHE18's picture

Mike, firstly thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I have two questions (1 OSU/1 Non-OSU): 1) Do you think Urban pulls off another 'surprise' signing like with Dontre in 2013 and Dixon in 2014? 2) Based on your knowledge, does Wimbush flip from PSU to Stanford? 

Mike Rockstedt's picture

A Surprise commit how about Kirk because I do not think that is going to happen. Wimbush is not going to flip.

TheBadOwl's picture

I think that between Moore, Alabi, and Carlton Davis, we've already had three surprise commits. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Of these guys --Gallimore, Sweat, Harris, Gibson, Burrell-- which are most likely to end up in this class, and which ones are least likely?

Mike Rockstedt's picture

I am going to rank them in order of confidence, one being the highest. 1-Burrell, 2-Gibson, 3-Harris, 4-Gibson, 5-Sweat.

johnblairgobucks's picture

Kinda wishy-washy on Gibson, aye?

Edit********** forgot to use sarcasm font in original***********

+1 HS
Mike Rockstedt's picture

Sorry yes four was Gallimore. I am confident in him, he just needs to go on his visits and we can learn more. Gibson is a tough one, and I feel with every visit his opinion changes. If a school REALLY gives him a chance to be a QB, then he could pick them.

BassDropper's picture

We are taking a bunch of lower rated 3 star players, which players in your opinion is most likely to get bumped up?

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Mike Rockstedt's picture

Tyler Green is a guy I really like to get a higher rating. Also Dre'mont Jones did not do a lot of camping and I think he could impress a lot of people this season.

ronbizi's picture

Next 2016/2017 recruit?

Mike Rockstedt's picture

Next 2016 recruit IMO is McCall, 2017 Judson.

OSU069's picture

The crystal ball has been trending to Georgia for Richard Lecounte. Do you think we will ultimately land him?(I know it's a long way off)

cajunbuckeye's picture

RenegadeBuckeye wants to know if there's any chance Jerome Baker flips to the good guy's.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+5 HS
Mike Rockstedt's picture

Even If I answered he wouldn't think my answer is worthy. But yes there is a chance if they have a bad season.

cajunbuckeye's picture

RB accepts that as a legitimate answer but say's your a $#@^&$% )&$!@#!. I hope the Gators suck instead of chomp and Jerome comes home to the Buckeyes. Tip of the hat to you Rock, your kickin it.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

We need to get the internets together and hook this Gator fan up with that famous Michigan fan, those 2 could have some ridiculous times together.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

That poor kid never smiles.

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

2016 QB.  Haskins? Guarantano? McIlwain?

UrbzRenewal's picture

I think I read somewhere that McIlwain had a top six and we weren't in it.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Yes, but at this early stage, I would think things could change.

funtubs's picture

He goes to Council Rock North?  Wow that's funny, my old high school beat him last year then, we don't need him.

-1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Is Danny Clark the Rill Dill?  I was very cautious/pessimistic when he 1st commited because he was so young, but the more I hear/see him the more I think he's going to be special.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

IMO - He has leadership qualities through and through.

+4 HS
apack614's picture

For sure the rill dill! Based off of his work ethic to get better and better each year. He goes to Massilon which has zero tolerence for jackassery he will be locked in tight and ready to play with the big boys by 2017

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

You said 5-7 more in this class. What's your best prediction on who those 5-7 are? 

jasmill31's picture

Has anyone heard anything about George Campbell? I seen he's on the considering list on ESPN for the Buckeyes.....haven't heard much lately. Wonder how hard the coaches have went after him.

Jason Miller