Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Cost of Being Recruited

JohnnyKozmo's picture
August 2, 2014 at 1:05pm
12 Comments

I was just wondering if anyone, perhaps on the 11W staff, could shed some light on how much $ recruits and their families are having to spend to be recruited.  With more and more schools holding camps, and expecting recruits to attend who are borderline as to if they will be offered or not, how much are these kids and their families having to shell out in order to get noticed?  I'm assuming events such as The Opening is paid for by Nike, but other than that, the recruits only get 5 Official visits that are paid for.  Travel, Food, Lodging, etc.  It can't be cheap.

rosycheeks's picture

If they camp enough in the south, they end up in the black.

+31 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

ZIIIINNNGGGGGG-LOL

+2 HS
The Butler's picture

Off the top of my head, I would say the average trip - airfare for mom, dad, recruit. Two nights lodging, and eating on the cheap - has to be in the neighborhood of $1,000 - $1,500. But there are a lot of variables to consider. Ohio State is within a day’s drive for about half of the population of the United States. So, if the family drives, that could save a bunch of money. Also, Columbus supports a major airport, unlike Tuscaloosa or East Lansing. If a recruit and family were to fly into Columbus, transportation once here would be minimal. For other schools, flying into an airport, and then renting a car to get to the school's town could be expensive. I am sure that there is an average to be found, but considering all of the variables - staying at a Motel 6, Hampton Inn, or Hyatt? Eating at McDonalds, TGI Fridays, or Ruth's Chris? Rent a Ford Focus, Fusion, or a SUV?, it would take a lot of research to find the average trip - not to mention that there is nothing to compel a recruit to report his expenses.

I also think that a lot of recruits get "help" for the trip, but I don't believe that was the intent of your post. 

As a side note, here is an article from Forbes in 2013 showing what top 25 programs spend on recruiting for all Men's sports - although I would imagine that the lion's share would be on football. But this also includes coaches traveling to the recruit, not just hosting the recruit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/08/31/the-economics-of-col...

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+1 HS
Grirish Buckeye's picture

The collective cost of recruiting includes camps and combines, college visits (unofficial/official), recruiting services (NCSA/GoBigRecruiting, etc) and travel costs.  Here's a sample for one year:

• (3) Regional Position Camps or Combines = $2400 ($400/per camp fee + $400/per camp travel cost)
    • travel cost will be higher if you have to fly
  • (3) College Position Camps = $2100 ($300/per camp fee + $400/per camp travel cost)
    • travel cost will be higher if you have to fly
  • (1) National Position Camp = $1800 ($600/per camp fee + $1200/travel cost)
  • (3) Unofficial College Visits = $600 ($200/per visit)
  • Recruiting services will vary from $200 (GoBigRecruiting) to $1500+ (NCSA)
    • these costs cover the entire recruiting process and are not for one year
  • Plan on at least 2 weeks (10 days) of personal vacation
+2 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Whenever I ponder this thought, I remember that they're not paying for the kid's college education.

+5 HS

True, but if a kid's fortunate enough to play college ball on scholarship, the family will still have a cost associated with travel to/from each game which could amount to ~$1000/game, not including a potential bowl game, which could add an additional $3000.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That is the reason that a lot of kids would rather stay to play in state so it is much easier for everyone to watch them in person. With a team like Ohio State (among others) can be seen on TV every weekend. 

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

True, but if a kid's fortunate enough to play college ball on scholarship, the family will still have a cost associated with travel to/from each game which could amount to ~$1000/game, not including a potential bowl game, which could add an additional $3000.

Urban discussed this on ESPN this week in reference to the playoff, saying that a kid's family now has to plan for three "post-season" games potentially, at a conservative cost of something like $20k by the time you include airfare, hotel, tickets, what have you. His point was that the Playoff has added additional cost to these families, and that schools should be empowered to spend some money to help defray those costs, which I'm assuming under current NCAA rules they cannot.

+1 HS

Coach also brought up that if colleges can send administrators and their families to these bowl games, they should also cover the cost for the athlete's family.  Makes sense to me.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

That's a good point.

luckynutz's picture

Thats my line of thinking. You have to believe that moat of these parents have some sort of saving account or college fund set up for these kids. If the pssibility becomes real of them receiving a full ride scholarahip, they can dip in those to fund their recruiting. Granted, some college funds cant be touched until they are of a certain age. And some parents will leave that money alone for their future.

Also, a loy of the invite only camps are free to the players if Im not mistaken. Granted, you have to pay for the camps to earn the invites. But to these families, its worth it get their kids around the level of instruction and exposure of the Five Star Challenge, The Opening, Elite 11 and the like.

Now granted, some of these kids may not have the means to have money set aside for these things. I think in that instance, they have ways for them to compete and get around. Such as coaches working camps at schools and having travel and lodging paid. So they ride up with them and bunk up together to mitigate the out of pocket expense of recruits.

Except for the high-end camps along the likes of The Opening and Football U's TopGun camp, only a small percentage of kids will make it make it at a D1/D2 level to play ball, let alone get scholarships.  There are a lot of combines and camps out there, most of which are in the business of making money.  That's not to say there isn't good instruction out there though.  You just need to know which are good and which are questionable.