Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Josh Sweat Official Visit ......

sidz-z's picture
July 31, 2014 at 9:52am
27 Comments

Just read that Josh Sweat has just posted his Official Visit schedule, and has the good guy's as being his first visit on September 5th.  Just wondering if anyone can read anything into this.  Obviously most people would believe that the last visit is most important, but I was kind of thinking maybe his 1st visit on the 5th would set the bar for comparison.  The last visit scheduled is with Oregon which most people find surprising.  Hopefully, the "closer" can do his magic and bring this one home, this would top of a class that could finish real strong.

Josh Sweat Official Visits

9/15/2014 - Ohio State

9/19/2014 - Virginia Tech

10/3/2014 - Georgia

10/17/2014 - Florida State

10/31/2014 - Oregon

Seattle Linga's picture

FSU does not need another 5* recruit - let alone one of the best players in the country

+6 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

Here's what I read into making us his first official.  <<_____Nothing______>>.   Probably because I'm 36 and still can't read minds... At least according to my wife. 

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

+9 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Keep trying. It will come to you.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

The Monday after the Kent State game?

+2 HS
swainpm's picture

Killer nuts I thought the same thing. I went to check the schedule thinking for sure it would be the VT weekend. Too bad as I think more top talent will be at VA Tech- whereas who knows the amount of current commits at KSU.

Furious George 27's picture

So he is in town for the VT game.... LeBron will most likely be there which is good, and if we smoke VT, it will make his vist there interesting on 9/19.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Great point that went by me FG

+1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

VA Tech after we put a stomp on them with him there:  "Well so, like, having you here, I mean we would have won."

That will be an interesting conversation.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
stittracer99's picture

Here are the match ups for each of those games:

VTech @ OSU

Georgia Tech @ VTech

Vanderbilt @ UGA

Notre Dame @ FSU

Stanford @ Oregon

In my opinion the highest profile games are our game, the FSU game, and the Oregon game. Oregon has the best change of losing IMO. Therefore, I think it will come down to either OSU/FSU as the "best" visit.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

That all depends on if they play Stanford football this year.

+3 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

He will get a double dose of VTech.

+2 HS
Barnsey69's picture

Kid is a monster, just thrilled to be on his official visit list. He has already been here, so coming back must mean he wants to see more...I like our chances.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

whiskeyjuice's picture

True, but I hope that making 4-5 other visits after ours doesn't cloud his memory.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
ronbizi's picture

If it does, his schedule does allow for a second unofficial visit for "THE GAME".

buckguyfan1's picture

Gonna have to Sweat this one out all year long.  

+5 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I'm assuming the post is supposed to say he is visiting on 9/5? Instead of saying 9/15? We play V tech on 9/6 and Kent State on 9/13 so if he is visiting on 9/15 then he is not visiting for the V tech game

+2 HS
Klytus21's picture

I am confused on this, also.  VT @ OSU is 9/6/14.  T. Gibson has is official scheduled for this game.

NJBuck

+1 HS
Klytus21's picture

According to Rivals, Sweat has official visits set for Ohio State on Sept. 5, Virginia Tech on Sept. 19, Georgia on Oct. 3, Florida State on Oct. 1 and Oregon on Oct. 31.

So yes, VT it is.  Could be another great day for the good guys!

NJBuck

swainpm's picture

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes a lot more sense...and I think it will help in his recruitment. Now he can bond with the rest of his class.

Ahh Saturday's picture

A convincing win, hopefully, over VT should allow the Buckeyes to set the bar pretty high for Sweat and take the wind out of the sails for his visit the following week to Blacksburg.  UGA-Vandy shouldn't be close to as exciting an environment as the game he'll see in the shoe.  The FSU-ND game should be a good one for the Seminoles, but hopefully the Buckeyes' staff and '15 recruits will have had time to develop some solid relationships with Sweat before he gets to Tallahassee, which leaves the Oregon visit.  Although I'm sure he'll have a great visit to a great game, it's always hard to get a young guy to go halfway across the country to attend your school.  My baseless prediction is that this one comes down to the in-home visits from Urban Meyer and Jimbo Fischer.  Whichever guy Sweat clicks with will win this battle.

PittBuckeye's picture

I think the outcomes of the games are being slightly over rated here. Sure it's better than losing, but when he gets to any of the campuses the teams are going to be different. I'd imagine the atmosphere of the game, how he feels about the coaches, and how he gets along with the underclassmen will all be bigger than whether OSU wins by 4 scores.

+2 HS
DCBucki's picture

I think you are exactly right, score plays little effect in the decision making process, but our visit is unique. Our visit matches us up against his other favorite. A throttling of VA Tech will show him that OSU is on a different level than VA Tech. This is probably why he scheduled our visit and the visit to VA Tech days apart. He will be able to compare the two while fresh in his head. Being so close to VA Tech, I'm sure he has been to high profile games there.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I think the outcomes of the games are being slightly over rated here.

I agree but think the Sweat/VT situation (visiting both Columbus and Blacksburg within the week) is unique and allows for the game's outcome to have a greater impact than usual. I think VT and FSU are the main competition in Sweat's recruitment, and putting a beatdown on the Hokies in front of him right before he visits VT has to hurt their position.

DCBucki's picture

1) His visit to us will allow him to see two of his favorites in a great night game atmosphere. Hopefully we beat them good and it sends a lasting imppression to him.

2) I've always liked the first visit (if its a big game) because he won't see the cold side of Columbus that many recruits are put off by when comparing us with southern schools (of course he lives in VA, so he has an idea of the cold weather but not a lot).

3) Oregon probably sold him to come back for visit when he was at the opening. They have amazing facilities and he would be silly not to take a visit there, if you didn't have another school you were interested in. I think its too far for him and his family, and he seems to be a guy that is very grounded and family oriented.

4) Georgia game is vs Vandy, so I don't think that would be a great game. Georgia is nice, but I think we got them.

4) It will be interesting to see how many of these upcoming games will be night games. Kinda glad that VA Tech/E. Carolina game is at noon, as that stadium can get really loud at night.

In the end, I think it will come down to OSU and FSU, with VA Tech as an outside shot. Georgia and Oregon are on the outside. I think that the recruits will band together at the OSU/Va Tech game and that will be the deciding factor.

I can't help but to get excited to see Bosa and Sweat on the same line all the other talent on the line and at LB! A lot of young talent at DB, but sounds like they are starting to hold their own! Defense is going to be solid for the next couple of years with or without Sweat... but if we land him it will be lights out!!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Very True, it would be lights out if we had them both at the same time!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

-1 HS
weimerad's picture

In my opinion, honestly, OSU has no shot to land Sweat if they are his first OV, even if it is against Va Tech. Too much time in between his visit and final decision. Unless he decides to visit one more time or Urban's in home visit is a late one and blows it out of the water

-1 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

This is huge for the Bucks to get Sweat on campus for Ohio State's prime time game against Va Tech, more so than other weekend this season actually. The staff knows this is going to be the biggest recruiting weekend of the year. I say that because although there are bigger games (OSU is a 18 pt favorite, and MSU is a much bigger game) LBJ could very well be at the game to help recruiting, and the weather will be great. Also huge because I believe Va Tech is Ohio State's main competition for Sweat, putting a beat down on them in front of him would be huge. Hopefully Ohio State's amatuer recruiters Cornell and Hilliard will be in attendance as well and lock this thing up. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have.