Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

OSU069's picture

Doesn't look like we will get him.

lljjgg's picture

FSU or PSU according to every recruiting writer I've read recently. Majority think PSU, good get for Franklin if so.

Smanpoint10's picture

The dreaded middle hat

+1 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

not anymore - we're on the left... keep fingers crossed

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

teddyballgame's picture

i hate that buckeye hat

mtrotb's picture

Penn St.

mtrotb

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Good get for PSU.  Long time left though

Read my entire screen name....

RunEddieRun1983's picture

Franklin does it again.  Man that dude can recruit.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Problem is-----he won't be able to sneak up on teams at Penn State, like he did at Vanderbilt.  Pride cometh before the fall.

+1 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

He won't need to fly under the radar or sneak up on opponents if he has superior talent on his roster.

+2 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

For sure, nothing he's doing on the recruiting trail has translated to the field as of yet.  Recruiting is one thing, putting it all together on the field is a whole different story.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Jimmy Franklin landing another.  Good for them, and best of luck to the kid.  Here's to seeing if Urbz can reel in Josh Sweat!

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Penn State is going to be our biggest obstacle in the later part of the decade.

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

They're definitely putting something together, but let's wait until they actually play a down in a real game before crowning them our "biggest obstacle."

+2 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

And that's fair, but when they "play a down" in a month, you're looking at a team with no depth and crippled under the sanctions. It's still not a good evaluation, and it won't be for a few years—which is when these classes their stringing together will take flight.

KB3RG's picture

Tyler Green wins though. Tweets out 63-14

Also I would not give Franklin all of the credit on this one. Simmons had multiple connections to PSU (father went to PSU and his trainer/coach is Lavar Arrington)

+5 HS
CC's picture

Lavar was a freak, happened to watch a youtube of him falling out of the sky against Illinois, it was unreal.

tennbuckeye19's picture

Franklin is doing exactly what he said he was gonna do when he took the job. He's reclaiming the regions that PSU had success in before all the Sandusky stuff. 

He's a heck of a recruiter for sure, but can the guy coach and develop players? We'll see.

+2 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

Yes, he can coach and develop.  His coaching record at Vanderbilt is way, way above the norm for that school.  But that has already been discussed and debated enough (the relative merits of a 9-4 vs. 12-2 season, considering the advantages and disadvantages of a blue blood vs. traditional bottom-feeder.  It's the "Big Ten Coach of the Year" award debate, right?)

But, in terms of development, Franklin coached Vandy from 2011-2013.  That means players he coached would have been in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 drafts.  In those three drafts, Vandy had 7 players drafted.  In the previous seven drafts between 2006 and 2011 drafts, Vandy had 7 players drafted.  In the decade before Franklin, (2002-2011 drafts) Vandy only had 10 players drafted.  They averaged 1 pick per year that decade.  Franklin averaged 2.33 players per draft.  His coaching record and player development (measured by draft stock) were way ahead of Vanderbilt's norm. 

+2 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

He did have some success at Vanderbilt, no doubt, but as has been pointed out before, name a signature win. He did manage to recruit well and beat teams that Vanderbilt was on equal footing with, but other than a win over Georgia (Georgia, mind you, NOT Bama, LSU or SC), where are the wins over teams no one thought they could or should beat?

Again, I'm not doubting the guy's abilities, I'm just very much in the "let's see what he can do over the next 2 years" camp.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

CC's picture

name a signature win

You contradict yourself when you then state that they beat UGA.  They also beat UT the last 2 years.  While that may not be a big deal for OSU it had happened just 3 times in the last 50 years pre-Franklin.

+2 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

No, I didn't contradict myself, because I pointed out that beating Ga is not a big deal. Especially that particular Ga team, that went into the game riddled with injuries. Beating UT? When UT is in the midst of an epic period of suckness? Come on.

Again, let's see if Franklin can get a signature win this year. My guess is, it won't happen. Maybe next year, or the following. I think he's going to need some early success that he can build on, if he's to rise to the level of challenging OSU for conference supremacy.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

-1 HS
CC's picture

So your point is that Vandy beating UT and UGA 3 times in the last 2 years is not a big deal?  ok

I have a feeling all of Vandy nation would disagree with you regardless of the circumstances.  Do you think the 7 teams that beat OSU in 2011 didn't think it was a big deal because OSU had a down year?

IGotAWoody's picture

Oh, I have no doubt Vandy nation was impressed! But the REST of college football fans? Not so much. Well, with the exception of you. And probably a few others. Or, you're a Vandy fan. Or a fan of some other SEC team.

-2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

As a guy who lives in the Nashville area, I'm well versed in Franklin's success at Vanderbilt and I applaud what they guy was able to do there. Many believe what he did was smoke and mirrors, and to a degree, that's correct, because he had less talent than pretty much every team they played against and beat teams that were down. But I do give the guy credit for doing what others before him couldn't.

My last comment wasn't meant to be a knock on him, just that I'm taking a wait and see approach to him leading a major college program, that's all. 

+2 HS
sharks's picture

I think Urban called off the dogs in the 4th last year. Need to obliterate them this time around.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+4 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

No way we lose, but going on the road at night is going to have them up to play. No way we're tanking them again like that.

+1 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

I'll be taking tOSU and the points without hesitation

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I was listening to a show where Franklin was talking. He said the high school coaches in Penn are all friends of his since school. Big key

AGAB's picture

Although I regret that he did not select OSU, nevertheless his choice is a win for the B1G over several  SEC institutions and FSU. I would much rather have him stay in conference than to go to one of the pseudo schools in the South. Congrats to PSU !

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Absolutely. I'm not a "Yay B1G" kind of guy generally, but honestly I think PSU getting back up to the level they'd been at in years past (10-15 years ago) would be a good thing. I get kind of tired of the lack of excitement surrounding the B1G (outside of OSU). Would be nice to see a B1G conference that featured a truly powerful mix of teams again.

IMO the B1G is at its best when OSU, PSU, and UM are elite. Add in really high quality MSU (one of the two best teams in the B1G over the last 5 years), Wisky and Nebraska (Nebraska one of those historical bluebloods, as are OSU, PSU, and UM) teams and you're looking at some GOOD, smash-mouth football. Would love to see the conference at that level again. Getting people excited about the PSU program again is a positive step in that direction.

Keep in mind that today was a win for PSU over FSU, moreso than even over OSU. That is a great sign for anyone who wants to be excited about the B1G beyond OSU. I can understand those who don't care to cheer for the B1G, but I at least want to be able to watch a game featuring PSU and MSU, or PSU and Nebraska and find some excitement in it, rather than the "mehhhhh" reaction I've had over those games in the last several years.

+2 HS
Fatpants's picture

Franklin can say whatever he wants right now. Once they suck this fall he's going to have his work cut out keeping his class together.

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I disagree. I don't think kids will jump ship on him. From what I've heard he's selling kids on the future not on right now. He knows they have depth issues and that they're a couple years from competing for conference titles. 

+4 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Agree Tenn. They know what they are getting in to. I am impressed by PSU's quick recovery in recruiting. It's in the middle of nowhere, their uniforms are boring, and their program was smeared by the toxic waste that was Sandusky/Paterno. And yet their future looks better than a lot of other B1G programs! Impressive.

+2 HS
Fatpants's picture

I think the guy is a big talker. His body of work at Vandy, while noteworthy, isn't terrific. He'd better back it up this season or the veneer will wear off. 

Wimbush is already flirting with Stanford and I'd bet his other gems will get wandering eyes when psu struggles this year. "Compete in three years" is a much tougher sell than "go to playoff now."

+2 HS
Adam21's picture

Wimbush is already flirting with Stanford and I'd bet his other gems will get wandering eyes when psu struggles this year. 

I understand what you are saying with he has already (and probably will continue) started to look around; however, Wimbush and Stanford are no longer an option, aka he probably didn't qualify.

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

I'm impressed with what Stanford has been able to do on the field in light of their academic standards. 

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Stanford plays big boy Stanford football. Well,for like 10 games out of the year Stanford plays big boy Stanford football. And that in itself is impressive considering their academic requirements.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
DrSpaceman's picture

I met coach Franklin yesterday at media days and I gotta say he is a really nice guy. All the other head coaches showed how little they wanted to be there signing autographs but franklin shook everybody's hand and introduced himself as James when I came up to him. 

This is even more surprising when you think about what PSUs fan base is like...

"Medicine is not a science" - Leo Spaceman

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+2 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

Recruiting is fun to follow because you can argue and debate kids to death. But what really matters to all of us is what our team does on Saturdays! Recruiting plays a MAJOR part in that, but it doesn't matter who wins the recruiting title. We want and expect the crystal ball (or whatever that new trophy is)...

Go1Bucks's picture

Just another ex recruit to crush in the coming years.  Nothing to see here, move along.

Go Bucks!

-3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Franklin is coming off as pretty impressive in his first off season but the ultimate measure is to see how many wins(and/or quality wins) they get in the next few years. 

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Seattle Linga's picture

Time will tell and you're right - W-Juice they have to prove it on the field not just once in a while - year after year after year.

+1 HS
Jabba1977's picture

I hope PSU goes 0-12 this year!! I hope we put up 70 on them this year!! Also he may be able to get the players, but can he keep them and can he make them produce?

SECHATER77

-1 HS
BukFan's picture

^that would awesome for our SOS and really help our NC aspirations!

+1 HS