Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Gibson Snapchat Smoke

SilverState's picture
July 30, 2014 at 12:38pm
49 Comments

Not a huge social media user, but I downloaded Twitter, Instagram etc. just to be familiar with these things to be able to keep a conversation/keep with the times. I kept hearing about Snapchat and eventually added it. Had no idea how to use it or add somebody, but Torrance Gibson tweeted out his Snapchat handle and so I figured I'd use him as an experiment to see how to add a user.

Anyways, I figured out how to add him and watched the first Snapchat that came up: a video of him and some friends at an iHop chronicling a huge meal they were eating. In the middle of the video, he bragged about "and I don’t have to pay for none of it." The clip ended with him hugging a lady and thanking her if I remember correctly. (I can't seem to access the full version now, or I'd try to embed it. If anyone can, please feel free to do so.)

Now, there certainly could be a reasonable reason for getting a free meal (maybe the clip was from Elite11 and they get per diem meals or something -- though I think his friends all had on American Heritage shirts on; or maybe he was entirely kidding), but it struck me as pretty odd. Regardless, putting up a video and laughing about how he doesn't have to pay for it shows his continued poor judgment. (Not to mention the clip was laced with him using the N* word, profanity, etc.)

His play on the field is amazing. I just hope if Gibson does commit to Ohio State, that Urban really emphasizes his whole "de-recruiting" program with Gibson and encourages some of the leaders of the class (Hilliard, Cornell) to keep him down the straight and narrow.

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

He's 17, let his parents deal with it.

+7 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

When is the first game again?

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+19 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Amen.  According to Remy, it's in 31 days.  I hope he's right....

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Damn... 

I was hoping it was tomorrow.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I believe the NFL opens practice today, so we can't be too far away.

Squirrel Master's picture

Could the lady be his mother? sometimes parents treat their kids to some food.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+13 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Or a friend was paying for it, or any one of a bunch of reasons. 

This is why I avoid social media like the plague, I get pertinent info from Jordan/Birm/Gene(welcome back). Snapchat adds nothing of any use.

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

him using the N* word,

He said Nickelback? Pull his scholarship!

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+33 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I don't think that was the word he meant, just a guess but I'd say he probably meant nicotine, as we all know smoking is bad.

+5 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Unless the word smoking is followed by the word hot..as in his smoking hot girlfriend.............

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

MotownBuck's picture

LMAO ... you just made this brotha laugh over a post that mentioned the N word. More upvotes for you sir LOL

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

+2 HS
m5987usus's picture

Perkins is better than IHOP.

O-H!

+3 HS
Murph32's picture

Respectfully disagree.

+9 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

That's what Tiger said.

KB3RG's picture

I am still partial to Cracker Barrel

BassDropper's picture

A lot of people around here know my take on Torrance Gibson. It hasn't changed. It's not just this video, but the rumors coming out of his high school, him being entitled, and the incidents that went on at Tenn. all have me worried about the kid off the field. Im beginning to come around on him playing QB, only because he put OSU #1, and if he commits I'll have no choice but to root for him. I really hope this kid proves me wrong both on and off the field. 

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

A lot of kids have a lot of growing up to do when they're seniors in high school, their mistakes don't get blown up to this level though.

Not saying I completely disagree with the skepticism, but plenty of kids get their act together once they're just a cog in a bigger machine like he will be at Ohio State.

+2 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

In terms of attitude/behavior, it doesn't seem to sound that much different than Troy Smith before his OSU days.  If and when he comes to camp, he will get a cold shower of reality, and I just hope he has the mental fortitude to rise to the challenge to be the next great QB for us.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
crusher's picture

He's a young kid whose "friends" are pumping his head full of bullshit right now. Some kids stay more grounded when this happens and some don't. Eventually reality will hit him like a ton of bricks just like any other high school kid. Considering Urban's background in psychology he is more than capable of helping this kid become a better man and football player if he ends up here.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

What dastardly deeds has he done?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

mh277907's picture

Maybe you should tweet at him and ask for an explanation.

buckeyebobcat

+7 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

O gawdddd......DO NOT SUGGEST THIS! Someone is going to do it now, and thats just creepy

UFM_Renewal

Grayskullsession's picture

I read this topic three times now and still struggle to understand the point of it. God I want the season to start already so people can complain about us only beating Navy by three TDs and not Gibson.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+5 HS
OSU069's picture

What this supposed to be really bad or something? Let his parents deal with it. 

BassDropper's picture

common sense tells you to blame the parents, but ESPN and the rest of the country will blame Urban when something goes wrong. See Aaron Hernandez.

DIRECTIONER

+9 HS
mh277907's picture

At first, I thought this was going to be a thread about Gibson snapchatting a picture of a really hot girl.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

I thought it was going to be about Gibson wearing some Ohio State gear. To be honest, I really have no idea how snapchat works (and don't really ever want to know).

Groveport Heisman's picture

I use to screw a chic that worked at Tee Jays out off Brice rd. and got free meals a couple times a week. Let the kid breathe for Christ sakes. Now if you see video's of him driving around in a brand new Bentley or Rolls Royce feel free to share.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-3 HS
mh277907's picture

Impressive. I'm quite sure that I have not screwed anything well enough to warrant a free meal.

buckeyebobcat

+17 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I've screwed plenty of things up enough to never get free meals.

+7 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I wouldn't worry, TB.

You're no Jameis.

Hate Week runneth over

+4 HS
mmounts's picture

For people who are unaware....The point of Snapchat is that the video/ picture is gone after you view it, hence why you could no longer embed or view it again. For what it's worth, I find it really strange you're Snapchat friends with a 17 yr old, Snapchat is usually reserved for closer friendships unlike Twitter and Instagram. 

+10 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I don't have snapchat, but I know businesses who use it to send out mass messages instantly. I'm sure people use it for that as well.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+3 HS
BUCKI06's picture

I would say the first thing you should do, is stop snapchatting high school kids.  

Give this a quick read, courtesy of Ramzy.

"As long as we're keeping score, we're gonna try to win this thing." - UFM

+11 HS
osu07asu10's picture

reasonable reason 

They usually are...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+6 HS
sharks's picture

Dude, you should totes facetime him...

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+6 HS
osu07asu10's picture

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to draw some negative conclusion about Gibson from this. You adding him on snapchat and bringing the story here is worse than anything he did. 

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

They were probably trying to sell him timeshares

FairfaxBuckeye's picture

Thank Goodness I didn't have people following my every move on SnapChat when I was in high school, and posting about it on message forums.

+3 HS
WezBuck28's picture

He lives in SEC country so this didn't happen.. None of it..

+3 HS
bucknut8's picture

I do have a snapchat & actually torrance added me instead of me adding him. Said i was a preferred person & saw i was a buckeye fan. 

Anyway, i did see his snap stories. & i am a big fan of snapchat & know how it works 100% correctly. 

Torrance was at an ihop with his friends eating. Then later posted another one of him at a house acting like he was taking aphoto with   a woman & it was actually a video, trying to prank her. It was clear to me he was very close to her & i believe he said in another post his friend lost a bet & was paying for his dinner. 

#Buckeyes

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

While it's good to have corrected the original story, the fact that there's a thread on here about Gibson's SnapChat stories is more than borderline depressing to me.

+5 HS
Urban_Can_Recruit's picture

It strikes me funny that you added someone you don't even know on snapchat and it is a high school football recruit of all people. Im just saying... 

+4 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I honestly thought the snap chat disappearing picture thing was for invented for teenagers to trade sexual pictures with each other and not have to worry about it getting spread around to their whole graduating class. At least the news article I read quite a while back made it out to seem that way.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
stechs02's picture

Well... This to say the least, is a little wierd...

+1 HS
iamcbs's picture

This post is exactly the reason recruiting has become the debacle it has become, why would any adult resort to following a 17-year-old on any social media platform? Why is every move made by Torrance Gibson or any other 17-year-old child subject to scrutiny from people he doesn't know and don't impact his life in any meaningful way? The reasons for his "Free Meal" are his own business, is it really necessary to obsess over everything this young man does and says. If he comes to tOSU, he does, if he goes somewhere else then fine. Get a life!!

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion~Alexander the Great