Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

New ESPN Recruit Rankings – Good News?

TheBadOwl's picture
July 28, 2014 at 10:18am
55 Comments

Here's the new ESPN 300. Cornell got his 5th star! But I thought ESPN was gonna make him a 3 star...

Other players of note:

5-stars

Josh Sweat - #1 Overall

Justin Hilliard - #11 Overall

Torrence Gibson - #12 Overall

Tim Settle - #15 Overall

Jashon Cornell - #18 overall

4-stars

Damien Harris - #30 overall

Christian Kirk - #36 overall

Jacques Patrick - #46 overall

Matt Burrell - #61 overall

Drew Richmond - #64 overall

Jerome Baker - #72 overall

Christian Wilkins - #83 overall

EGW - 100 overall

Jamel Dean - 112 overall

Jordan Whitehead - 138

Nyheim Hines - 149

Neville Gallimore - 158 (5-star on 247)

Porter Gustin - 159 (5-star on 247)

Mike Weber - 169

Isaiah Prince - 236

Missing the cut are Joe Burrow (#10 dual threat QB), Nick Conner (#11 ILB), Dre'Mont Jones ( #29 DE) and Grant Schmidt (#46 OT), all of whom are 4-stars.

tdible2132's picture

Should put ESPN conspiracy theorists to rest. Our class is ranked highest on ESPN currently (gasp).

+17 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The only gripe I have with it is Gallimore's ranking, but there's not a ton of film on him and he's only gone to like two camps. I think ESPN's guys just want to see a bit more.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Thanks for pulling out all the names of interest! 

I'm looking forward to seeing Hilliard and Cornell work on those undecided!

How Firm Thy Friendship

+18 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Tater - now that's a tweet I can grab a hold of.

+2 HS
chirobuck's picture

I always want OSU kids to be successful and excel both on and off the field but its always extra special when its a kid who goes above and beyond to help bring a class together

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

If 2 of 3 from Sweat, Settle, or Gibson commit you can consider this one a lockdown for #1.  I wonder what Saban's consolation prize would be for finishing 2nd in recruiting.

+1 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

An over the pants handy from Finebaum.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+17 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

I see what you did there.

I see what you did there.

How Firm Thy Friendship

Sims_tOSU's picture

You forgot jashon at 18

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Basically made the thread about Cornell getting his 5th star, forgot to put him in the list... haha. Oops.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+6 HS
MacG91's picture

Cornell had a 5th star on the previous ESPN rankings. 

Mac..yeah

+2 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

Cornell still has a fifth star, he's the last 5* on the page.  They at one point had him ranked #1 overall, so there is no way they're going to remove his fifth star, they would look like idiots.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Ummm ... they did remove his 5th star after a disappointing single-day showing at The Opening when he left early citing "family issues". I'm entirely sure what analysts are saw that they caused Connell to fall (and later move him back up). From my perspective, Cornell is a heck of a player and a big win for this program, regardless of how many stars they give him. Not only is he going to add depth to a D-line overflowing with talent when he finally gets on campus, but the Cornell-Hilliard tandem is recruiting lights out for the Buckeyes. That's what I care about.

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

At one point, Canton Kaumatule was #1 on 247 and top 5 on ESPN. Now he's in the 40's on ESPN and mid 30's on 247, barely even top 50 on the composite.

Rankings fluctuate all the time. Also, ESPN has fewer 5-star players on their list than every other service. You can't really complain about a player being underrated if they're top-20.

+2 HS
rosenbuck's picture

Not to be a conspiracy nut, but wasn't he actually higher than 18th as well?

Killer nuts's picture

A few others of note:

Brandon Wimbush at 71

Jerome Baker at 72

Chris Clark at 109

LJ scott at 113

Shaun Crawford at 161

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I was surprised to see Michigan with no top 100 recruits

+2 HS
daytonbuckeye's picture

I was surprised happy to see Michigan with no top 100 recruits. 

+14 HS
Mizzillion's picture

Also missing the cut: Kevin Feder.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

We have a few other guys who missed it as well (Moore, Alabi, Ward), I was just listing the other 4-star guys. But yeah, I think Feder's rankings are going to shoot up after the season.

+1 HS
funtubs's picture

Wasn't Feder injured this season?

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Yeah, he missed more than half of last season.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Devante Peete at 141

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
danbrown7665's picture

honestly I think 247's rankings are the worst. Gallimore is not a 5 star. im sorry. And neither was Matt Elam last year. 247 def has eye openers.

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

-4 HS

I think you have to find the median to all the sites honestly.  ESPN obviously tends to skew their rankings to kids more than likely going to SEC schools, but I actually do like the presentation of their rankings page.  24/7 sometimes makes me scratch my head, but I feel like overall they tend to get the big names where they are supposed to be.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

brandonbauer87's picture

I don't think ESPN really has an SEC bias, just a southern bias in general. 

I think we said the same thing only in a different way.  ESPN's bias is towards kids who skew to SEC schools, which generally tend to live in the southern portion of the U.S.

+1 HS
Ashtabula's picture

I see a lot of comments on this site putting too much weight in star ratings. A 3-star may actually be rated higher than a 4-star by a particular coaching staff. I would love the staff to put a piece together detailing the politics behind star ratings.

+4 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I don't follow national recruiting lists and star rankings very closely, but my gut feeling in watching/reading espn of late is that the network/website has been moving in a more neutral direction concerning Ohio State - i.e., a bit less tabloid-esque.

Part of the reason might be that a series of non-espn articles have come out in recent years exposing SEC bagmen and other shenanigans down south, and other semi-related stores, which somewhat undercut their over-the-top Ohio State tabloid strategies.

I guess, whatever it takes - I've been able to watch/read more espn lately without getting annoyed.

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Couple of the 4's are 5's except in ESPiNs eyes.

Go Bucks!

-3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

And by a couple you mean Harris, who is only a 4* on 247's in house rankings as well as Scout.

-2 HS
sharks's picture

What the heck? If we're ignoring and b*tching about the WWL, it has to be consistent; not just when its convenient. I care not one iota for their rankings, no offense.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+4 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Who is this "we" you speak of? I thought this site was made up of a bunch of individuals, who each have their own thoughts and opinions.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+3 HS
sharks's picture

I advocate a lockstep hivemind approach to certain things: Bleacher Report, Taylor Lewan, Clay Travis, ESPN. You don't have to subscribe to it.

Or do you?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+4 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

I'm more the "yer not the boss of ME" type. But I liked this response. +1

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

If you just blatantly disagree with everything they do, you're just as bad as they are. They do things wrong, and so do others. Try viewing everything as an individual, standalone piece, regardless of where it comes from. 

+1 HS
sharks's picture

I'm just having a little fun in this topic, but I recall posts critical of ESPNs methodology re: recruiting, especially when compared to Rivals and 247. I'm just going to lightly take y'all to task for forgetting past wounds now that a few guys are high up in their rankings..

brandonbauer87's picture

Fair criticism. I'm just not one of the guys to take to task. ESPN is a business first and foremost. I have no problem with them doing what makes them money. 

Codeezy's picture

Van Jefferson in at 170 also!

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

ESPN recruiting coverage is crap. I know people may enjoy this because of the highly-rated OSU players but ESPN has no idea what they are doing when it comes to recruiting. 

+6 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Yea  this is an anomaly. For the last few years every single site has had us ranked significantly higher then Espin. Most of the time we were top 3 on those sites while the WWL had us borderline outside the top 10 and it seemed almost laughably on purpose. Still a shit ton of rerankings to be done before signing day folks. Lets let this play all the way out before we start giving credit where its not due.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

The last 5 recruiting classes average ranking on ESPN, Rivals, and Scout. I didn't include 247 since they have only released a composite ranking that last few years.

Scout - 5.8

ESPN - 7.8

Rivals - 9

As you can see, the facts don't support your claim.

+3 HS

The last 3 years our  average rankings on the recruiting sites are as follows. 

247-2014-3rd  Scout-5th  Rivals-3rd  Espin-7th

247-2013-2nd Scout-1st Rivals-2nd Espin-3rd

247-2012-5th Scout-3rd Rivals-4th Espin-6th

Those average out to a top 3 finish on every site except? Wait for it..wait for it. Espin. where we are not only not top 3 we are outside the the top 5. There are 12 rankings there from 3 very solid classes to look at and the only site to rank us outside the top 5 did it twice.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Hey I don't like ESPN's recruiting either(I prefer Rivals and 247)...just saying they aren't as far off as you may think.

Now just to show I can be a good sport, here are the average rankings in the Urban Meyer era.

Scout - 3

Rivals - 3

ESPN - 5.3

Yea we have had some absolutely legendary classes here in the Urban era and it seems Espin owes us for under ranking a few of them. Or maybe they are actually learning a lesson that our coaching staff knows talent a little bit better then some others.

CincyOSU's picture

Are you REALLY complaining that one site has us ranked, on average, at 5.3 over a three year span? That's a whole TWO spots lower than Rivals and Scout....oh the humanity!

Come on man, even if you hate ESPN you have to admit that's a bit a of a reach.

+3 HS

Not really making as big of a deal out of it as you are. But yea over the last 3 great recruiting classes and out of 4 major services Espin had us ranked lower then the other 3 services every single year. And going from 3 to 5.3 is almost doubling.Yes a top 5.3 class seems great unless of course everyone else has you ranked 1st or 2nd. I know at the time it was happening there was quite a lot of folks voicing their opinions on it. I even think Urban Meyer made a joke about "their" rankings.

-1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Going from 1 to 2 is also doubling. If ESPN had us outside of the top 10 you might be on to something, but complaining about being a top 5 class, just because other sites had us top 3, is complaining for the sake of complaining. Its like being mad you won $100 instead of $102...is it really that much of a difference?

And why are you conveniently ignoring the 2010 and 2011 years?

+1 HS

Because I was speaking about the years Urban has been coach in which is considered a new era.I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it but it is fun to joke around about. Like I said I'm pretty sure even Urban threw a little joke in about Espin under ranking our class one year. If you want to grab onto me exaggerating outside the top 10 when I should have said outside the top 5 then go ahead. As evidenced above though our last 3 recruiting classes since the Urban era have had their worst ranking from Espin. Its not drastic and its not a big conspiracy against tOSU. It is what it is.

+1 HS
gumtape's picture

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS
SWAGGERNAUTICAL's picture

Really happy for Dean not very much talk about him but he is now almost a top 100 player, great for him 

+3 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Hmmm. Seems like a serial downvoter hit this thread.

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Looks like one of CincyOSU's DV stalkers is putting in work...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

CincyOSU's picture

Well seeing as around 10 of them were banned I wonder who this admirer is?

-1 HS