Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Josh Sweat New #1 247Sports Composite

Gray Box's picture
July 16, 2014 at 1:54pm
65 Comments
Gray Box's picture

Sweat had the second highest SPARQ rating at the Opening:
Here is Sweat with Cornell and Hilliard:

+15 HS
BierStube's picture

He was also running with an injury ... otherwise he probably would have won.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+4 HS
cinserious's picture

I'm not ashamed to be salivating at a picture of three dudes. What a package this trio will be if Sweat follows up on his favorites (Buckeyes).

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

-3 HS
ab1993's picture

And Cornell is no longer a "5 star". I know I shouldn't put too much stock into recruiting rankings but I can't help it

+2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

It's because he committed to OSU and they hate OSU

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+10 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Cornell dropped around 30 spots.. I think he's at 67th on there now. Hilliard moved up to 10th though.

+3 HS
bucks_4_life's picture

He also didn't get to compete the entire week. Had to leave for a family emergency. I don't put too much stock in those rankings. Just wait until LJS gets his hands on him!!

The juice is worth the squeeze

+3 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Trust me, I didn't look at these rankings and think, "Damn, such a shame that we no longer have the *insert Cornell's old ranking here* best rated recruit instead of the 67th best.

I believe in LJS, he is the man!

+2 HS
KB3RG's picture

Sweat #1
Malik Jefferson # 9
Hilliard #10
Ridley#22
Porter Gustin#23
Gibson #24
Gallimore #34
Jerome Baker#55
Damien Harris #59
Christian Kirk #66,
Jashon Cornell fell to #67
Ricky DeBerry #90
Matthew Burrell #93
Eric Glover-Williams #94
Isaiah Prince #102
Van Jefferson #104
Christian Wilkins #109
Drew Richmond #125
Tim Settle #135
Sh’mar Kilby-Lane #138
Rashad Roundtree #141
Michael Weber #145
Lawrence Cager #151
Chris Clark #192
Jamel Dean #221
Dre’Mont Jones #244
Nick Conner #247

+8 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

No LJ Scott? Was wondering where he would wind up now that he has committed to a non-glamour school.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

KB3RG's picture

#92 for LJ. I just didn't list him

+7 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

What is 247 not seeing in Christian Kirk that our staff is seeing? Birm has made it clear that he thinks that Kirk is the best WR in the country and a definite 5-star.

+1 HS
dancorona5's picture

How is ranking him as the #66 best player in the country, not showing him respect?

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I can't imagine there being 65 players better than him. He has an argument for #1.

+8 HS

Its because he started out the #1 overall player on Espin's recruiting rankings. And once it was evident he had no desire to attend a sec school he started dropping. And we all made jokes that once he committed to tOSU that he would start to drop further and lose stars. And look what is taking place. Doesnt change how good of a player he is at all and hopefully these kids use stuff like this as motivation. How about a round of applause for Mr. Justin Hilliard though. Went in to a event where it favors workout warriors and kids with good coaching and instincts usually dont stand out andhe jumped all the way up to #10. That is absolutely awesome and I am very proud of the young man.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-4 HS
CincyOSU's picture

So there's a conspiracy to drop OSU players(Cornell), yet in the same statement you give them props for moving Hilliard up in the rankings? You can't play on both sides of the fence...

+13 HS

I said it was joked around about. And Espin is not even the recruiting site moving or jumping these kids right now. Pipe down on your defense of your employer. If I had a wooden nickle to bet I would bet your name is Matt right? There use to be a guy that posted on scout that had a handle MattinCincy or something similar and every mention of Espin would have him crawling out of the woodwork in defense mode. You remind me a lot of that poster. Its not serious enough to get defensive about.

-10 HS
CincyOSU's picture

1) Read what you wrote. You can't "joke' about something, then claim it's starting to happen, then say you're joking.

2) As of this posting, show me where CINCYOSU brought up ESPN in this thread...this might take you awhile.

3) My name isn't Matt and I've never posted on Scout, the only other account I own is on Bucknuts(never go there anymore) and I have the same username. But think what you want if it helps you sleep.

+4 HS

None of it really matters but your posting History and ability to hawk on anything being said about Espin is evident. Yea we joked about his ranking dropping and yes it actually started to happen. I wasnt even combining the 2 individual things I was pointing  out that some may feel he is being railroaded at #66 because his hype actually came from a #1 overall Espin rating. Everyone but you had fun with the fact that once he committed to tOSU his ranking would start dropping.It has started. I sleep fine but it seems like you might not with all the anti-espin talk going on.

-3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Nice strawman deflection...

-3 HS
BlueBayou's picture

The other thing people are losing sight of with Cornell was that his original #1 ranking was based on the viewpoint he was going to be a Clowney type WDE.  Now that he has put on a lot of weight since the initial rankings, most are now projecting him to move inside on the DL.  So that mixed with being good but not dominating in his camp appearances are the main reasons for his drop in the rankings.

+2 HS
Brutus' Left Nut's picture

Or maybe it had something to do with the performance at the Opening.  Hilliard performed very well and Cornell performed okay.  Cornell wasn't dominating OLs there, but I think he is also considered "raw" and is ranked based on his high ceiling.  Actual performance probably accounts for more of a recruit's ranking the closer they get to college so it makes sense the more polished player rises and the raw player falls. 

+5 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

The question was about Christian Kirk, not Jashon Cornell. The point is moot. Christian Kirk is definitely considering SEC schools (Texas A&M)

+4 HS

+13 HS
cinserious's picture

+1 for the Three's Company. 

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Not if it's after Chrissy left.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
Crimson's picture

Yeah, it was great when she had a 20 second phone call and that was it for the episode.

I actually thought the last seasons after Chrissy and her cousin left the show were better.

Byaaaahhh's picture

Isn't TAMU SEC...?

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Don't know why people are DV'ing you Grove but I'll tell you what, Kirk's top 2 schools are in fact OSU and TAMU, with TAMU (SEC) being slightly in the lead. I still feel reguardless of rankings, Kirk is a top 20 recruit. Maybe he wasn't at enough camps or just not the 'right' ones.

+1 HS

Because it really was a misunderstanding. I actually thought he was talking about #67 Jashon Cornell instead of #66 Kirk.I was off by a digit and thought he was talking about how Cornell got dropped hell of spots and therefore disrespected. It's no biggie Cin I don't sweat the small stuff.

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture
+6 HS
Gray Box's picture

Hilliard = Best. Photobomb. Ever!

+35 HS
coolhand850's picture

Now that would be hitting the Jackpot, like getting the great Ted Ginn, Beanie Wells, Terrell Pryor, and LOL Curtis Grant! Although if I had to choose, I would rather lose Sweat this year, and get Nick Bosa in two years. I pray we get both, along with Harris, Burrell, Gallimore, and Kirk. May as well dream big.

-2 HS
cinserious's picture

Oh we don't have to dream brother! Urban Meyer is making this kind of success a reality! Sure, we won't get everybody but a damn good portion of 'em and we haven't even won shit yet! Wait 'till the championships come, wait 'till our top notch coaching and S&G staff mold and form these young men into champions!!!

MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Hilliard had a knack for photobombing at The Opening. Good sense of humor. Gotta love it.

http://youtu.be/OAirOlBPVJ8

+3 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Great photobomb and the score on the bottom ticker makes the screenshot even better. 

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

Gray Box's picture

Drew Richmond had a pretty funny message for Sweat at the Opening:

+6 HS
Poison nuts's picture

So the good news is, we can call Justin Hilliard Ohio's best player now right? So...OSU doesn't lose out on Ohio's best in 2015 after all... We're #1, we're #1!!!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+10 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

If we can get Sweat, but that be our biggest get in recruiting since Pryor? I tend to believe it would. Kwon was huge, as was Vonn Bell, but we're talking about the consensus #1 player in the nation who people compare to Clowney!

+2 HS

More like... If we land Sweat (99), he would be our biggest commit since Noah Spence (99).  How quickly we forget...

J. Hilliard (98)
R. McMillan (98)
D. Booker (98)
V. Bell (98)
A. Washington (98)
B. Miller (98)

+7 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

I get that we've had highly ranked recruits like the ones you listed. I'm talking in terms of just overall name recognition that would really make a splash. Getting the top recruit is always a big thing. 

+1 HS

"Name recognition" and "getting the top recruit" are not important.  Getting the most talented recruit is what's important.  Doesn't matter if that recruit is #1, #5, #10, #12, or whatever.  There are plenty of high-profile recruits who have fizzled and their are plenty of 3-star guys that have been All-Americans.  The key is identifying the talented ones; not getting the top or name ones.

-1 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

Name a #1 overall recruit that wasn't talented? I agree that figuring out the most talented players regardless of stars is the name of the game. When these kids become freshman, the stars become irrelevant. But to say name recognition isn't important is ridiculous. Other recruits want to go where other top recruits go. I'm pretty sure every kid who was at the Opening know who Josh Sweat is. Do you think everyone knew who Cornell was (I'm thrilled we have him by the way!)?

OH_IO's picture

Nick Bosa = 1,000,000,000

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

rock flag and eagle's picture

He isn't the consensus top player.  Consensus means overall agreement by the group.  ESPN has Trent Thompson ranked #1.  Rivals has Cowart.  I think Scout has Rosen.  247 has Sweat.  There is no consensus.  Composite and consensus do not mean the same thing.

+4 HS
Hayze's picture

He will be once the other sites update their rankings

+4 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Note to self: Do not overthink the ratings.  Do not overthink the ratings.

Go Bucks!

+10 HS
Rob Reese's picture

247 ranking him #1, or #25...If Urban thinks he's a potential asset, I think he's a potential asset.  And a little prayer never hurt.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+8 HS
gobucks96's picture

doesn't look like he's praying...

MN Buckeye's picture

Even though Cornell dropped in the rankings, I heard him motivated to prove himself this fall. I hope to get out to a couple of his games at Cretin Durham Hall up here in MN.

+2 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Josh Sweat is number one and deservedly so. He's not, in anyway typical. Also, remember these are projections, not necessarily a matter of where they are now.

TedGinnIsFasterThanYou's picture

GrayBox --- I love the info you bring buddy

thanks 

+3 HS
Gray Box's picture

Add in Jefferson and Sweat to go with Cornell, Jones, Hilliard and Conner would be amazing.

The top two linebackers at the Opening and in the country:

(Jefferson is set to visit Ohio State on November 1st for the night game against Illinois.)

+6 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I knew this dude was going to blow up, and I got laughed at for saying so, during the Opening.

Somebody get Lebron on the phone, and tell him we need help recruiting Sweat.

-1 HS
Crimson's picture

I don't know what the big deal is.  He'd blown up already anyway.

+5 HS
Buckeye06's picture

I don't know who laughed at you, but i think many on here knew Sweat was a 5* talent before the opening, so maybe the blow up happened months ago?

Anyway, hope we get the kid.  Other sites are saying it is VT/UGA out in front by a modest margin

+3 HS
Liening's picture

Thank goodness for the recruiting chase.  It gets me through this terrible off-season period.

GLiening

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

How long before we get another commit? Anybody want to predict how many commits OSU will get before the season starts? or is it to the point that the recruits left are waiting closer to signing day?

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Crimson's picture

We've already gotten our last recruit.  We'll have to wait until next year.

+4 HS

Winner winner chicken dinner!