Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Florida Still Salty Over Meyer

305Buck's picture
July 11, 2014 at 11:37am
37 Comments

From one of the Florida Gators staff members on 247sports:

Make no mistake, the Florida staff is not keen on Ohio State. It started with the shape of the Gators’ program left behind by Urban Meyer. One full of egos and discipline problems, yet void of depth on either line or offensive skill players.

The disdain with the former Gator coach reached a boiling point when the Buckeyes turned in Florida assistant Brian White for a brief chat with New York prospect Curtis Samuels in May of 2013. A minor violation of the ‘bump’ rule that assistants at UF under Meyer as well as his current group at OSU (and assistants at every university in the nation) have broken in the past.

Friday, Florida head coach Will Muschamp sent a shot across Meyer’s bow by landing the 247Sports Composite’s No. 42 overall prospect, Jerome Baker of Cleveland (Ohio) Benedictine

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I'd hate to think what their opinion of Meyer would be if he hadn't won 2 national titles and brought in arguably one of the top 10 college football players of all time.

+13 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

He wasn't there long, but he oversaw what was probably the most successful run in Florida's history as a football program. It isn't like he pulled a Pete Carroll either. Personally I don't get the hate.

+2 HS
chemicalwaste's picture

I don't get it either. I understand why he stepped away from football with what was assumed to be heart issues due to stress. When they figured out it was esophageal and treated it, I also understand him wanting to come back. By that time, he couldn't just tell the new head coach, "Hey I'm back. You're in my chair." It only makes sense when you don't think about it.

-1 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Shouldn't Will spend more time preparing for the George Southerns of the world then worry about Urban?

+20 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I've said many times before to my family in Florida, if UF and its staff, fanbase and media put as much energy into building a strong program as they do trashing Urban Meyer they'd be invincible. I'm fine with them saying whatever the heck they want. They're still a raging dumpster fire since he left and I LOVE IT.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+14 HS
Jabba1977's picture

They hate us and we hate them,especially me!!

SECHATER77

+3 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Butthurt Florida fans upset about Urban Meyer leaving = butthurt Cleveland fans upset about Lebron James leaving.

Damn, I just compared myself to Florida fans. The only thing is, Cleveland fans are still hurt but they aren't holding a grudge about it.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

And then Lebron comes back and it doesn't matter anymore...

If the Urbz returns to Florida in 2 years, we'll reopen my comment.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+3 HS
chemicalwaste's picture

State of Ohio: We'll trade you Jerome Baker for LeBron James.

State of Florida: Done.

I have to say we win.  In all honesty, though, best of luck to Jerome.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Said this before, and will say it again.  I hate that program more than any other.  Period. 

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

My hate is directed toward UM, ND, and Tenn. I don't have any left for UF.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

My bro went to FSU.  So add that to the fact that UF has taken us in football & basketball, and all that is left is hate.  And you can argue 'worst fans ever' with any program, but UF is right there at the top.

+2 HS

Link?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Much like having players block each other in a loss to a 1-AA team, the problem lies in the coaches they hired not the one that left. The lack of development at florida is muschamp's fault, Meyer came into OSU with depth issues as well and won. Maybe next year florida will hire a coach instead of a coordinator to run the program.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+3 HS
chemicalwaste's picture

I just had to watch that again after that comment. They had 3 guys block the #7 defender who was smaller than me. Then, 2 of those blockers peel off and block each other. Just a fabulous display of gang blocking, as opposed to gang tackling.

whiskeyjuice's picture

What the Floriduh AD director will be saying to Muschump halfway into the season, lol 

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+3 HS
DaveStephens's picture

Land (1) recruit is a shot across the bow?  Well done, UF.  We landed Bosa, who will be one of the top DEs in the NCAA for the couple years.  Add to that Shazier and Hyde (pre-UFM, I know), and you retaliate with one recruit?  That's like taking a salvo of direct hits and returning with a warning shot (while your ship is sinking, mind you).  Way to be the North Korea of college football.

Pick your phrases better next time.

The Dude abides.

+6 HS
BUCKSOMIES's picture

Meh, who really cares what the gators think?  They just are not that important.

+6 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

If this "shot across the bow" is like most of Muschamp's, it'll hit his foot.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

So, uh, is Urban UF's Lebron then?

Inquiring minds want to know.

EDIT - Not insinuate UFM would ever consider going back to UF.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+2 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

God I hope not.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
DaveStephens's picture

Like Lebron, UFM went to Florida to get his head on straight before returning home.  They both just happen to win some championships there before bringing them home.

The Dude abides.

Jake321's picture

Well at least urban won a couple championships before he left can't really say the same for lebron

-3 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

Misplaced blame. Spencer at EDSBS broke it down the best.

The running theme in our head, watching this atrocity spiral out of control and eat the entire 2013 season, is that this is three years after Urban Meyer left Gainesville. Three years, not two, and not one, and not done with the mythical barren cupboard of homewrecking Urban Meyer. This is what this team looks like on purpose, because no one can evaluate and develop offensive talent. This was done on purpose because Will Muschamp, a defensive savant, apparently cannot pick a competent offensive coordinator out of a bin of them. This is now a rebuilding project going well past its thousandth day, and with another year at minimum to go. Please do not give the huddled, be-molded hordes of solipsistic, self-pitying Buckeyes fans the opportunity to shoehorn in the now elderly cliche that any of this is Urban Meyer's fault anymore. Urban Meyer recruited the majority of what was left standing on the offensive line Saturday, and won two BCS championships, and also didn't lose to Vanderbilt.

+8 HS
Furious George 27's picture

UF got Baker, Cleveland got LeBron..... I think Ohio won today's battle with florida.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+11 HS
airbuckeye's picture

Fla fan should be on theirs knees kissing tOSU ass for two of the three NC they have becuase if not for tOSU they would only have one. If not for tOSu beating Arz st in the 97 Rose bowl Fla would not have one the NC that year against FSU which by the way they lost to earlier to that year.

But they were given a gift of playing them again in their bowl game. That NC number one that was given to them because of tOSU. Then number 2 came that night in the desert for many reason but one reason that i knew the minute it happened we were in trouble when Ginn went out.

They had no answer for Teddy and when he went down right there went a big chunk of our Offence and the fact Troy hit the hiesman circuit and put on 20 lbs. Plus the rumor of the friction in the locker room before the game.

Not saying any of these things cost us the game or playing devil's advocate here to make up excuse's but there are two of Fla's only three NC right there. Other than that they are a good team that does not travel out of their comfort zone for OOCG.

-1 HS
The Butler's picture

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+5 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

As long as it's Meyer's fault it's not Muschump's... good recipe for continuing the spiral

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

"How Urban Meyer forced LeBron to leave Florida." - Mike Bianchi

+9 HS
Barnsey69's picture

Who gives a fcuk what the Gators think....they suck.

GO BUCKS!

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

Unky Buck's picture

You misspelled a word there...

+6 HS
Unky Buck's picture

When the going gets rough, blame someone else. #Merica

+2 HS
faux_maestro's picture

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+5 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

In 6 season at Florida

65-15 Overall

5-1 in Bowl Games

2 National Championships

If Urban decides to leave Columbus in a few years after pulling in that kind of record at Ohio State, I can't say I'd hold any grudges (unless of course he goes to TSUN, which is unforgivable)

"Because we couldn't go for three"

+1 HS
BuckeyeBBD's picture

(unless of course he goes to TSUN, which is unforgivable)

Or Notre Dame

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS