Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Are we becoming a victim of our own recruiting success

dustinccc's picture
July 11, 2014 at 10:33am
35 Comments

With the loss of Scott and Baker, I started to wonder does our depth chart play a part in losing them.  In my opinion our three deepest positions now are LB, DL and RB.  We have brought in some great recruits since Urban started recruiting in these three positions. However, only 3 LB play (2 if we go nickle), maybe 2 RB and a rotation of 9 DL per game.  Does that scare away some recruits, not just Scott and Baker?

Best of luck to both of them. 

JohnnyKozmo's picture

It shouldn't, and hasn't at other top programs.  See: present day Bama, Mid 2000's USC.

To be fair though-I've never followed other teams recruiting, so i'm sure those teams also missed out on life long fans of them, who were also in state and considered locks at one point.

+2 HS
Buck Wild's picture

No

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

+5 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

You took the word right out of my mouth

Troll hunter

+1 HS
mb5599's picture

Could you expand on that thought?

Big B

Buck Wild's picture

No

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

+1 HS
tae1986's picture

No Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Fixed it for ya

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

FROMTHE18's picture

? In Scott's, its been an uphill battle from the start, he was always favouring MSU. In Baker's case, IMO its depth. Florida has jack all down there at LB (and across most of their depth chart), so playing time will come easier for him. Its a bit of a surprise to lose two of the states top players but look at how we poach the top players from other states. This is how recruiting is done nowadays and especially with Urban. If we lost Hilliard and Baker, yeah it'd be a big blow. Losing Baker on his own whilst having Hilliard in and as a leader in the class is nothing IMO but a small annoyance. Not saying Baker isn't awesome, he obviously is, but people need to back off the ledge a bit if they are concerned that losing baker is some sort of sign that OSU is losing its hold on Ohio. I think we still have that hold on the state and are trying to expand it nationally, particularly in Georgia. 

+4 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

If we replace Scott with Harris, we are just fine. If we replace Baker with SKL or Jefferson, we are just fine. And it's still a long way to signing day, so we can still recruit Baker hard. The biggest reason we hate losing Baker is cause he's an Ohio kid that's a star. If he was from Georgia, we wouldn't be nearly as angry. If the goal is to recruit the best kids nationally, we are bound to lose some studs in state. It sucks, but it's part of the recruiting game.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

#buckeyeproblems

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS
cdub4's picture

No. Banana has had like 5 straight elite classes. OSU has a good chance at 4 straight top 5 classes.

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Banana?

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Alabanana.

Peel Tide.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+7 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

Well played.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Bluke221's picture

Careful. Banana Peel jokes about an SEC school is a slippery slope.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Last week: Wow our recruiting is awesome!

This week: Man, we can't recruit. What is wrong?

The next 4-5 star commitment: Wow our recruiting is awesome!

The one thing that always bugs me: How is it Ohio State or Urban's fault if a kid doesn't want OSU? A lot of people fault the Buckeyes for not gaining a commitment or "closing the deal", especially the Ohio kids. Not everyone in Ohio wants OSU, even the elite players. Not everyone in TSUN wants TTUN. Damon Webb anyone?

Can't wait for the season to start. Oy.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+3 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

True, and kinda funny. Fans are a very reactionary lot. It is what it is.

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

1) Being a "victim" of success is a good problem to have.

2) Two lost athletes, one who was an uphill battle and the other who was at one of our absolute deepest positions, will not destroy a class, especially when we have one of their positions (LB) filled with a 5-star stud and the other (RB) looking very possible to have a 5-star stud. 

3) As has been said, you won't win them all. Sometimes kids just want to get away. Sometimes they are worried about competition. Sometimes they may just have a stronger love for another school (shocker, I know). These are kids trying to make the biggest decisions of their lives, give them a break.

4) Urban Meyer is the best damn closer in the game. If he really wants a kid, then never count him out until NSD.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+1 HS
kmp10's picture

The biggest reason we hate losing Baker is cause he's an Ohio kid that's a star. If he was from Georgia, we wouldn't be nearly as angry.

That's right. And it's for good reason too. Ohio high school football is the lifeblood of Ohio State football and keeping elite players like Baker at home is important. The 'national recruiting perspective' this staff has is great and the results clearly speak for themselves… however, it seems that the tradeoff is losing the elite Ohio kids a little bit more often than has happened with recent staffs. OSU isn't a just great program in an average high school football state (i.e. Oklahoma or Nebraska). Ohio State is a great program in a top 7 high school football state. That's why, when the Nick Conner threads were lighting up this site, I kept saying I'd take Conner over a slightly higher ranked kid from out of state. Conner is home grown. He's a Buckeye… intrinsically. And it's that important, in my opinion, to keep the elite Ohio players in Ohio at The state university. Ohio HS football is better than the HS football played in MOST other states. That is a fact. Keeping the elite Ohio players at home is vital. 

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Ohio State is a great program in a top 7 high school football state. 

I'd say even better.

Tier One: California, Florida, Texas

Tier Two: Georgia, Ohio

Tier Three: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia

-1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Tress recruited a lot of Ohio kids too, but got his hat handed to him in the national championship games...........

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

BroJim's picture

This again. . . Ugh

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

The answer to the OP is an equivocal yes, kinda, sorta, for now.  As an earlier poster pointed out, it hasn't seemed to hurt Alabama, but there is a difference between the two programs right now, and that difference is the championships that Alabama has won in recent years, that and the fact that Alabama keeps cranking out first round NFL talent.  High school kids are willing to wait in line for that sort of success. Last year was the best year in a while for Buckeyes in the draft, and if OSU can win a championship soon, I think we'll see the same thing in Columbus as in Tuscaloosa regarding the stockpiling of talent. Until then, the depth chart might start to look daunting to some prospects.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I agree with this. To those who say it hasn't hurt Bama - OSU is not Bama right now. Sorry, it bothers me too, but that's the facts...

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I'm sure this happens, to some degree, to Alabama also. We're just not as in-tune to their recruiting. Some kids don't like being lost in the depth chart. It's no one's fault. 

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I agree with that as well.

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Bama has that depth for a reason: Bagmen

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

otrain2416's picture

If you think this is a valid excuse see Alabama.

+2 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

#firstworldproblems

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

-1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Funny how people thought we were a LOCK for Baker and SKL, but didn't have a chance at Hilliard.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Just like a few months ago, no need to panic in regards to our recruiting. We have until February 2nd or the 5th.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

PittBuckeye's picture

No, it's been mentioned above, but other schools manage it. Alabama has like 12 5* running backs I think.

+1 HS
airbuckeye's picture

I would not want tOSU to sink to Bam's level of recruiting or the SEC because tOSU as well as the Big Ten is better than that at least would hope they are.

Buck my Nuts's picture

It's amazing at our ability to recruit. I would imagine that every other team NOT in the SEC is jealous of us. Teams like Texas, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma and Florida St that are traditionally good don't recruit as well as us year in and year out. Just wait til we win the natty!

whiskeyjuice's picture

It would be amaze-balls if OSU could win the first college playoff natty!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Posterchild's picture

To all of you guys worried/complaining or trying to find reasons to complain about Ohio State's recruiting...

+2 HS