Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Jerome Baker is a Gator

toad1204's picture
July 11, 2014 at 10:12am
117 Comments

Per Twitter

whiskeyjuice's picture

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
cinserious's picture
we
Just gimme my damn sandwich man.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
Posterchild's picture
RunEddieRun1983's picture

delete

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

-11 HS
GABuckeye's picture

According to Rivals, like Kyle says, Baker is higher up (36 vs 49).  

+8 HS
Killer nuts's picture

He's pretty clearly citing Rivals as the source for calling Baker the top rated player in Ohio

+7 HS
d1145fresh's picture

I can't tell if  you're being serious or not...

Anyways here is the Rivals (i.e. the recruiting site he stated) best of Ohio list. http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/...

+2 HS
DaveStephens's picture

Bro, you managed a -11.  How did you do that?

The Dude abides.

+5 HS
Earle's picture

This is 11W.  Everything goes to eleven:

Italics are for emphasis.

+8 HS
stittracer99's picture

Insulting an 11W staff member automatically earns you extra down votes.

+1 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

yeah… I'd be scared to walk into camp and try to beat out our LBs for playing time too…best of luck to him, I just hope he knows which team he plays for and he doesn't tackle his own teammate

+3 HS
BAR43's picture

Really is somewhat of a valid or possible reason. He is a great athlete, but if we get Harris he would be second fiddle at RB, and we already got Hillard so he would be second fiddle there as well, IMO. either way would have liked him at OSU but cant get them all unfortunately.

+2 HS
AJBor41's picture

Nobody is second fiddle for college playing time while going into their senior year of HS.

+8 HS
BAR43's picture

I was basing this off of recruiting rankings and my personal opinion after watching Film on all the above. I don't maintain to be an expert and anything can happen in the next year developmentally for these guys, but I believe Harris is a better RB and Hillard is a better LB, IMO.

+2 HS
AJBor41's picture

Didn't DV you, but I'll UV for defending your opinion on the matter. My point was simply that it's open for anyone because comparing HS film versus differing talent levels is nearly impossible. (See Curtis Grant - On film and in rankings he seemed like an obvious walk in and play guy, but has struggled to get on the field and make an impact)

+1 HS
BAR43's picture

Absolutely, of course it would nice to have both and see which one progresses better, but that's the fun/craziness that is recruiting. You never know how someone will develop or not. He will do great at FL and wish he was staying, but there is come good consolation in knowing what we have and hope to still get in this class.

AJBor41's picture

Well, his mom is a huge basketball/Cavs fan, so maybe we can get LeBron's help in steering him back to OSU now!

CincyOSU's picture

I'd be scared

Why do we always have to do this when recruits pick a school other than OSU. You have no idea why he made his decision....HIS decision. We really need to stop attacking kids for choosing what they feel is right for THEIR future.

+13 HS
Orangeslash's picture

Any chance of him flipping before signing day? Seems like a strong possibility, all hopes and wishes aside.

+1 HS
DOUEVENURBZ's picture

Muschamp on the hot seat and he has a full season of football to play in Ohio, he will hear the "f" word in his ear a lot. It just depends on the kid. I would have bet Gesicki would have flipped to us after that wonderful night game and O'Brien leaving, but no.

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

I'd suspect Urbz calls to check in from time to time.  If Baker actually picks up the phone could go till NSD but if he's solid we move on (possibly Malik Jefferson?)  Seems to be mutual interest there.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

mb5599's picture

May not have the space for him if he decides he wants to flip.  Hope he isnt counting on that.

Big B

+2 HS
OSU_Football_is_Life's picture

I'll be watching for the flip.  In the meantime I'm watching this flip.

A win over TTUN is one of the most important annual milestones I can think of!

+11 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+13 HS
buckeyeinthechi's picture

"Coach Meyer, did you know what you were drinking was decaffeinated columbian coffee?"

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

jonping67's picture

Wow....

1. Urban Meyer head coach

2. National championship contender

3. UF is coming off a 4-8 season

4. UF loses to a division 2 school

5. UF staff in trouble if they don't win at least 8-9 games

Bails on his home state and school.....O-well.....Good luck in Florida Jerome.

+8 HS
AJBor41's picture

We get it. You would have picked a different hat. He didn't.

+4 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Are you going to call out all the out of state OSU players for bailing on their home states?

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+7 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

This is how you take down a Gator......

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Eff this, I gotta do the dishes. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+7 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

On the up side, the site won't crash today.  Moving on...  Good Luck Jerome!

+7 HS
d1145fresh's picture

Until Lebron commits somewhere...

+5 HS
BAR43's picture

Not trying to make excuses, or seem like we didn't want him. But is there any chance the coaches cooled on him or weren't pushing as hard? I know its hard to believe they would with an athlete this caliber, but just cant understand how a long time lean would slip through UFM closer grips.

-3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Three Words: SEC Bag Man

In all seriousness though he had the offer from OSU.... The LB/RB position is getting deep so perhaps he looked at his odds of playing right away and who he would have to beat out.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

This Bag Man stuff is getting really old.

Edit: If you were being sarcastic, I apologize....just getting tired of seeing this every time the SEC is mentioned as if this is the only reason schools have success.

-7 HS

lol, its a joke.... but lets keep in mind 11W linked the article so people are going to reference it from time to time. I have no idea what UF is going to do this year because they are so inconsistent, which makes me believe he could be flipped if we want to keep persuing him.

+3 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

This "people not being able to determine sarcasm unless it's pointed out to them" crap is getting old...

+9 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Maybe it's hard because some here actually believe it. Notice I apologized to the poster, but thanks for the follow up.

AndyVance's picture

Maybe it's hard because some here actually believe it. Notice I apologized to the poster, but thanks for the follow up.

...on the other hand, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't trying to kill me.

+4 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Come on Andy, I'm not saying it doesn't happen(and not just in the SEC) but you can't use that excuse every time the SEC wins a recruiting battle. 

-4 HS
AndyVance's picture

You probably have read enough of my posts to know that I'm not entirely serious above, and that I probably agree with your original sentiment.

"Normal" teenagers made their college decisions based on an almost limitless set of variables, and even more so for the top-tier athlete looking to play Division I football or basketball, so yes, you can't use the "bagman" excuse every time a kid commits to an SEC school. Stories like the Baker story, of course, seem primed for "conspiracy theory" speculation because it just doesn't seem to make sense otherwise - why on earth (said the rabid OSU fan) would an Ohio kid purposefully choose to go to a dumpster fire of a program that barely won 4 games last season and has nothing going for it that Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer didn't bring to the table?

No, I don't honestly think the SEC bagman showed up at the Baker residence. Yes, I think the SEC bagman shows up elsewhere from time to time. No, I don't think this one is over until NSD. Yes, I wish the young fellow well wherever he chooses to attend college, because it's his life, not ours.

+1 HS
AJBor41's picture

Good for Jerome. I know it was a tough decision for him, and likely one that won't be officially over until February 4, if Urban has anything to say about it.

BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+13 HS
Patriot4098's picture

On the bright side, he can always come back next year after UF fires Will Muschamp and company.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+2 HS
DOUEVENURBZ's picture

Looks like we have to settle with Hilliard, McMillan, Booker and Berger as a projected LB unit in a couple years. Oh wait....:D

What do we think this means for any other LB prospects like Deberry?

+3 HS
Northbrook's picture

One of the recruiting gurus here said DeBerry is a guy between positions. I agree with that and would be surprised to see him pursued.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

So you're saying the site won't crash?

Barnsey69's picture

The Gators suck.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+6 HS
Northbrook's picture

If they want another LB in this class there are plenty of other great options. Jefferson for example.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

LJ Scott and Jerome Baker are top 100 National talents. Losing them both in back to back days stings. We shouldnt make any excuses like they were afraid of our superior depth chart or wanted immediate playing time. We got our asses kicked for 2 very good players and the only thing to do is rebound and go find 2 better players to fill those two spots.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+14 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Really?  We got our asses kicked because two players chose other schools in July prior to their senior year?  Hyperbole much?

-1 HS

I am not too worried, as much as you don't believe it, I am pretty sure both schools used immediate playing time as their pitch to both Scott and Baker. And if you do not believe we have depth and skill built up, OSU moved Hubbard to TE which I am sure florida mentioned to him.

+1 HS
clint5507's picture

Best of luck to the young gentleman.

+30 HS
bodast67's picture

Well Damn,,,,

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+5 HS
TraSmith4's picture

The coaching staff will recruit both Baker and Kilby-Lane all the way till signing day as well as trying to get Malik Jefferson on campus. Lot's of time left :) 

+8 HS
Beat Meatchicken's picture

I like where your head is at pal.

+3 HS
Beat Meatchicken's picture

What about this holland kid? Isn't he a FU/FSU lean? We could snatch him from the sunshine state. Also I wonder if we still talk to SKL? 

TraSmith4's picture

Yes but none of that will affect Bakers decision as they took 0 linebackers last year so logically they will take at least 3 or 4 of them this year. He will play early down there if he sticks with his choice and probably not so much in Cbus but like I said it's not over till signing day. 

-1 HS
brunstar's picture

Best of luck sifting through the recharge of that dumster fire in Gainesville.  I wonder what team he'll sign with after Muschump gets fired.

Braxton2Devin's picture

Hopefully our in-state talent for next year is more generous

+3 HS
JasonR's picture

Sucks losing two of the top Ohio kids in two days, but all you can do is say good luck, congrats and move on. Wish Jerome and LJ the best. I'm sure OSU's class will be stellar regardless.

+2 HS
MotownBuck's picture

Curious. Do you think we are done with Ohio kids in this recruiting class? Losing out on 2 of the top three players in back to back days stings. But looks like the rest of the top 15 players in the state besides our guys (Hilliard, Glover, Conner and Jones) are all MSU, UM (ugh) or ND commits.

I'm thinking somebody flips by NSD and at least one more that's not on the radar impresses at FNL and/or through their senior season and snags an offer.

Trotwood-Madison. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.

Eph97's picture

Timing is weird. Usually high profile recruits who decide to go out of state string recruiting along in order to avoid the heat from local friends, family, media, etc. See Pryor as an example. It's especially weird here since Baker's future position coach Durkin and head coach at UF both could be fired with another subpar year.

+1 HS
AJBor41's picture

He wanted to get it done and out of the way before two-a-days began so he could focus on his senior year.

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

That's probably why Jerome his coach and family declined to talk to the media?!

Gooz-fra-bah...

Woodshed's picture

"Mr. Baker, did you know that fl won 4 games last year and lost to a 1aa team that didn't complete a pa......nevermind Mr. Baker, I can't even keep a straight face asking these questions."

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

A Cleveland kid who's top 2 in state headed to UF? That just seems surreal. Seems to me like the timing of this did have something to do with Hilliard btw, as in once he committed to OSU, Baker knew he was headed elsewhere, but I could be wrong.... But don't be fooled by all the strength OSU has at LB & RB - this is a loss. 

Good luck to him, I always want a kid from Ohio to do well...but man I hate UF!

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

Yeah. When was the last time OSU lost the #1 in state recruit to a team other that UM? I always though something was off about Baker because he had UF an UT as final choices. Seems like the kid just wanted to go out of state. It happens, sometimes to our benefit like it did with Raekwon. I would be very interested to hear Birm's take on this; how a kid who just a week ago was 100% crystal balled to OSU doesn't commit.

OSUStu's picture

Unfortunately, it was 2011 and 2010 (depending on the recruiting service).

Jordan Hicks, Texas, 2010.  

Trey DePriest, Alabama, 2011.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
AeroBuckeye2001's picture

The Ohio State University Class of 2001
BS Aero & Astronautical Engineering

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Baker even made FSU cry, haha.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Question, if Ohio State replaces Scott and Baker with Harris and Jefferson, who will even remember losing these two in July? Recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. It wasn't too long ago that everyone was drooling all over Franklin and Penn State, now they're steadily falling in the class rankings. Urbs always replaces lost talent with better players so lets just let the coaching staff do their job and enjoy the rest of the recruiting season. Plus Buckeye football is about a month and a half away!

+12 HS
edr4225's picture
+1 HS
cinserious's picture

The way Urbz is recruiting, we won't feel the sting for more than a week or two, then never again.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+4 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Damn, that sucks. Good luck, Jerome.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+2 HS
jedkat's picture

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

Hayze's picture

That makes this look weird. If he was comfortable with his choice, why not discuss it?

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Baker didn't grow up a Gator fan, he didn't dream of playing in the swamp, he doesn't have a brother, sister, best friend, girlfriend down in Gainesville, and he isn't a UF legacy.  The Gators went 4-8 last year, have no real reason to hope for better this season, and enter the season with a coach who's driven his dad's Ferrari into a ditch and is about to be shown the door.  UF can claim neither an academic advantage over OSU nor one of tradition, and allegedly his parents favored Ohio State.  So, why is he going to Florida?  Two answers: first, at this moment he is the only LB in the Gators' last two recruiting classes, and second those recruiting him to Ohio State couldn't overcome that one, and only, Florida advantage.

+7 HS
AJBor41's picture

Tough to argue much of that post, but why do they have no real reason to hope for better this season at UF?

brunstar's picture

Look at UF's schedule.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I don't see Georgia Southern. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
AJBor41's picture

They'll be better than last year.

OSUStu's picture

Better than terrible.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

cinserious's picture
f

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

No Butthurt here.  UF is a good program.  Good luck to him.

Read my entire screen name....

UF is a good program.  

Urban isn't there anymore.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS

Jerome Baker is a Gator

For now.

+4 HS
cinserious's picture

Urban told Jerome to cool it on the commitment until NSD when he flips to Ohio State just to troll UF.

+4 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Urbz will get someone that will fill the spot Baker would've had adequately.  He'll probably play right away in Florida since they suck so bad and haven't recruited many LBers. 

Class of 2010.

kgab11's picture

https://twitter.com/jaysonswain/status/487605978272002050

Why even make a commitment if you're not even 100% certain you'll be attending the school you committed to?

(Sorry couldn't embed tweet on my iPhone)

+4 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

maybe his commitment is one of those ben edwards type of commitments. a trial run "we'll see how it goes" type of deal.

sounds like he's going to watch and see if UF starts losing, like we all know they will, and then flip if there's no future there and muschump gets fired.

also, maybe consider the fact that on bakers twitter account he had a picture of himself running with the ball as a RB when he committed. maybe UF told him they would start him at RB and he wants to see if they're going to keep their word or not.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

lljjgg's picture

Supposedly Baker said he still plans to take visits. Definitely think OSU will continue pushing until the end. It sucks, but there are a couple of positives even in this situation:

1) As Urban F. Meyer said of getting a commitment before NSD, "An early commitment just means that you're in their top 3." Florida is in his top 3, OSU will continue to be I'd imagine.
2) The OSU staff has been told by means of the commitment, several months before NSD, that the strategy they've been taking on his recruitment isn't working as well as Florida's. There's time to change it if they desire.
3) With several months before Baker could sign with Florida, the locational advantage OSU has will never change, Florida's coaching staff could. 

+4 HS
KingsRite's picture

I spent the morning pruning tree limbs. Glad I did.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+3 HS
osugreg04's picture

In other news... we still have Braxton

cinserious's picture

In other news... we still have Braxton

...Predicting the return of the King! 

+1 HS
NCBuckeye2011's picture

Seems odd to try and get done with recruiting before senior season but then remain open to visits/other schools...oh well, it's his life. 

+1 HS
gobucks96's picture

Somewhere Matt Hayes is happy.. and that the worst part about this. Good luck to the kid.

+1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

What's left to do but hope he represents well? I'll be rooting for him to run roughshod over the sec....

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

-1 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

Any chance he comes to FNL?

Hayze's picture

Little to none.

But excellent chance he officially visits.

Alex Gleitman (and myself) still think we have a good chance to flip him by signing day.

Buck my Nuts's picture

Ok, thanks for the insight. Much appreciated!

BassDropper's picture

Hopefully Baker sees the reaction Lebron is getting and realizes how much Ohio cares for its own.

DIRECTIONER

+5 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

i think they should go after porter gustin, that dude is a beast! to have him and nick connor would be like having 2 aj hawks on the field at the same time ohh yeah!

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.” - Jerry Rice

Bucksfan70's picture

ok, hold up. a 4.64 40 is not too slow for a college lb at 6'4 240lbs; kyle burger runs a 4.73. but if you want speed how about malik jefferson, you like him?

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/07/the_opening_2014_5-star_lb_mal.html

:D

+1 HS
Northbrook's picture

I think he is destined for DE.

+1 HS
Bucksfan70's picture

i think you might be right, he's big and growing. but i don't know how big his wingspan is, do you have any info on that?

Northbrook's picture

No, my guess is based solely on height, weight & speed.