Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

From 12 to 20

oregonianbuckeye's picture
July 10, 2014 at 9:46pm
26 Comments

With 12 on the board, here is my prediction for the final 8.

1) Harris- Looks like he's the RB. Will be interesting to see where Weber ends up with Scott going sparty and Harris trending tOSU.

2) Burrell- Sounds like The Opening helped our cause.

3) Wilkins- need a DT, sounds like Wilkins and Gallimore are the top two guys, and we have been in on Wilkins for longer.

4) Kirk- This is going to come down to the wire with TAMU. After watching the opening, this is the guy I want most left on the board.

5) Peete- My gut tells me Jefferson will commit elsewhere. Peete fills in nicely.

6) Allen- I see two more OL in the class. Allen has been trending our way.

7) Sweat- Dream scenario here. I think Sweat is the best player in the class. Hopefully we put a hurting on V-Tech, as they are the big competition.

8) Whitehead- I see another DB in the class. Not sure who it will be. Maybe Roundtree, but I think we end up with another CB.

I see this class anywhere from 18-22. Thoughts?

Woodshed's picture

Allen has been trending UGA big-time.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I do like that no other school had as much advertising as The OSU with the hats n shirts!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

makearuckus's picture

Urban wants richmond ,personally recuriting him , per bn5 podcast.

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+1 HS
tdible2132's picture

Just playing devils advocate a bit here, but how safisfied is everyone with the way things currently stand for this class, especially if we miss on Baker tomorrow? I'm not complaining or trying to be negative, but if I'm being completely honest, I'm a little bit disappointed with how things currently stand. I'm also just a tad nervous about the fact that our class hinges on out of state national guys that could easily spurn us. 

With that being said, I'll be the first to admit that it's easy to get caught up in "rankings". I know that it's spoiled to wish we had a couple less 3 star guys and more higher rated guys, but it's human nature to want to have the highest rated everything. Just seems like we have had quite a few misses that have stung more than in previous years. We've also been spoiled in previous years with Buckeye commits showing out at the opening, and unfortunately Hilliard seemed to be the only Buckeye that really impressed this year.

All in all I'm still optimistic and feel good about the possibilities for this class, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little bit let down at the moment. This is a platform for me to voice this opinion and it feels good to get it off my chest, even if it may be unpopular. Just keeping it real. I can admit I'm trying to fight the feeling though bc I know it's being spoiled. I also know we could be way worse off right now and we're in good hands. So take this post with a grain of salt, it's more of a confession than a complaint.

-End of spiel

+2 HS
Woodshed's picture

FWIW, mike Mitchell "showed out" at the opening (athletically anyway) and we see how that worked out for osu.....

+2 HS
tdible2132's picture

I hear ya, camps aren't everything. Mitchell still could end up a beast at TT though

+3 HS
lippertini's picture

Still holding to what I posted a couple months ago to the extent that I think if we TCOB on the field, we'll finish strong.  If we lose two or more games, including the bowl, then we could miss a top-5 class.  Regardless, plenty of talent on the roster to absorb one sub-superelite recruiting class, not to mention a great staff to coach everyone up.

+1 HS
osu407's picture

Personally I think that Gallimore is almost more likely than Wilkins because he is forming bonds with fellow OSU recruits when Wilkins is not.  Perhaps we will land both considering the lack of linemen that are clearly tackles (instead of pure ends or the type that could play either) in this class and the last class. 

I have no opinion on Allen on way or the other.

Other than those two small exceptions, I agree with everything you said.

RunEddieRun1983's picture

I tend to disagree with you only to this point.  Wilkins is taking care of his business, he's not getting recruited, he's not doing interviews, he's not blowing up twitter with top 50, then a top 40, a top 20, a top 17, top 15, then a top 10, a top 5 and so on.  Wilkins is the kind of player any coach would dream of.  He packs up his lunch pail and comes to work and doesn't care about the glamour aspect.  I think he loves tOSU and I thinnk he is all Buckeye when the time comes.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
BengalErnst's picture

Subtract Wilkins, whitehead, allen, and Peete for Gallimore, Richmond and Gibson. 

Nicholas l Ernst

+1 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

Until Gibson visits, I won't assume he's in the class. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

IMO, Sweat, Gallimore, Allen, and Kirk all end up somewhere else, just based on what I have read. Then again, everything I read up until about Monday of this week, led me to believe that Baker was a Buckeye, so gotta take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

To be honest, Burrell is the only recruit on the list about whom I feel really confident, but that's just me. I think above every other recruit this cycle, it' surprising that OSU is probably gonna lose out on James Daniels, just based on the information that he has put out there thus far.

I say OSU ends up with 16-17 kids in this class, because that's really all they have room for, without some Saban-esque roster gerrymandering. If I had t guess, they get 4 more - Wilkins, Burrell, Cager (gets an offer almost immediately after Jefferson spurns Bucks for Tennessee), and Peete. Obviously, if a kid like Sweat, Gibson, Richmond, or Gallimore want to come on board, they'll find a scholarship for them.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Literally only want Wilkins because it's my last name. I could care less how good he is!! Probably my cousin or something...

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+2 HS
KB3RG's picture

haha I hear you. 

Next jersey I buy is Kyle Berger. I am so pumped that theres a Buckeye with my Same last name and well first initial for that matter. 

Byaaaahhh's picture

I think we're gonna get Van Jefferson, but I'm more skeptical of our chances with Kirk. I think ultimately TAMU gets him, but I'm not giving up on UFM persuading him.

Braxton2Devin's picture

I don't see how recruits love TAMU getting 10-15 WRs a year

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, they do throw it..A LOT.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kirk loves OSU and I like our chances with our closer.

Buck my Nuts's picture

If I could choose 8...

Kirk, Sweat, Burrell, Harris, Gallimore, M. Jefferson, Peete, Gibson

I think we end up with...

Burrell, Harris, Peete, Gibson and a few others we aren't really focused on at this point. There are always a couple kids we aren't discussing that start popping up around mid-January. Baker may be back in mix?

Personally, the ups and downs of recruiting is what makes us follow it so closely. It's like March Madness, a huge event that is a marathon with lots of surprises...

+1 HS
RRbuckeye77's picture

I do not know about all of you but I really liked what Cager(?) could bring to the table.  I hope he has a great FNL and gets an offer...

RRbuckeye77

+1 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

I like your list, but my guess is that at least half those guys do not end up in this class, and there will be at least a couple guys who nobody is really thinking about right now, who will. This has just been such a crazy recruiting cycle.

buckeyedexter's picture

Kirk getting to catch passes from Texas A&M's QB gives me a bad feeling.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

A name to remember if OSU misses on a few WR or DB guys is Reggie Rogers.

WR/Safety teammate of Danny Clark. He will be camping for FNL

whiskeyjuice's picture

I know Urban won't be satisfied with a recruiting class outside the top 5. We will end up nice n happy!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Buck my Nuts's picture

Not sure we will finish top 5 this year. If we get to sign 20+, then yeah we will. However, if we fall below 20, it will be tough to crack the top 5. Regardless, this class is going to be good. Quality over quantity!