Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Jerome Baker (500th Forum Post)

FROMTHE18's picture
July 10, 2014 at 4:39pm
133 Comments

Apologies for the 500th forum topic about him. Not sure if this is 'news' but Wiltfong has CBed him to Florida. With the rumours from Birm showing an increased likelihood he ends up committing to UF, Im expecting an 'ugh' moment tomorrow. Still hopeful, but its looking like Muschamp will add him to his last UF recruiting class. 

teddyballgame's picture

Even if it is Florida tomorrow...we'll see.  We're a long way from signing day.

+7 HS
rosycheeks's picture

You guys stay here, I'm gonna go tweet him. We'll get this straightened out.

+55 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

Until Birm flips I have hope!!! 

+6 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

If true, tough to swallow. We're all Ohio guys, we all get it. Hard to see one of our own go elsewhere. 

It just doesn't add up to me though. I'm still calling OSU. 

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
BayArea_Buckeye's picture

from a depth chart perspective, it makes sense. 

UF had zero LB commits in their 2014 class, and Baker would be the only LB commit in this year's class. Compare that with our hauls in the last two years of Booker, McMillan, Berger, Hilliard, and Connor

He would be able to play immediately at UF. 

+2 HS
m4's picture

Booker, McMillan, Berger, Hilliard, and Connor have not played a down yet, so we don't know how it's going to turn out from a depth chart perspective.

+1 HS
chemicalwaste's picture

All of that reminds me some of when Rich Rod took no offensive line recruits. UM still can't block themselves. Sounds like a few more bad years left for Florida.

KingKosar's picture
+2 HS
clogan1032's picture

Listen people, the only recruiting analyst that is worth a damn is Uncle 9Route. What does he predict?  

+7 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Blue Mountain State

+1 HS

Would hate to see a top 50 Cleveland kid go to Florida. 

+7 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

If someone wants to commit to a dumpster fire, then by golly, that's alright by me.

+12 HS
Woodshed's picture

I could not agree more. I literally LOL'd when I saw all of the crystal balls flipping. Wow is all I can say if he chooses them.

+1 HS
d1145fresh's picture

You mean that awesome UT poster didn't work?

+8 HS
m5987usus's picture

I have switched my prediction to Florida. (For all those who follow me on twitter and care haha).

O-H!

+2 HS

Care to elaborate if you can?

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

He loves both very much.  It is a point of where he "really" wants to play.

O-H!

+2 HS

Mystifying then, that the pick is UF - for no other reason than him being an Ohio kid. Some kids want to make their mark elsewhere I guess. I wish him nothing but the best whatever his choice.  Thanks for sharing your opinion. 

+1 HS
crusher's picture

That's why predictions and CB's are a joke. Anyone can sit back and watch which way things are trending and then follow the crowd. The only two guys that should get credit for their prediction is Bill Greene and Birm.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

m5987usus's picture

I actually don't have a Crystal Ball and literally tweeted that out 30 seconds after I got off the phone with Jerome Baker.  Van Jefferson is trending to Tennessee but not once have I said I agree with that.  I am picking Florida because of what Jerome told me, over the phone, not what anyone else is picking.

O-H!

+11 HS
crusher's picture

It wouldn't be a prediction if he actually told you he was going to Florida.

m5987usus's picture

Yep. I was just trying to pass of my opinion after talking with him.

O-H!

+1 HS
crusher's picture

What I meant was that if you had first hand knowledge that he was picking Florida than by definition it's not a prediction. I'm not saying I don't respect your opinion because to be quite honest I've never heard of you. I just know that most "analyst" follow what's trending. Anyone that follows recruiting can do that a day before a recruit decide. In this situation I wouldn't put you in that category because you have actually talked to Baker

+2 HS
m5987usus's picture

No I completely understand what your saying haha. You should see twitter right now, it's blowing up because 12 hours before he decides there are a mass exodus to Florida Crystal Balls.  But you are right, people are going to follow a trend because so and so picked them there. 

O-H!

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

Ha I was just about to comment on here in disagreement with your reply but decided to refresh and wouldn't you know it, you edited it. Well played, good sir.. well played.. (talking about M5897)

As for Baker, I'm not giving up hope yet, but it would seriously be a shame for him to go somewhere like UF just because of playing time. I get that he loves Durkin, but from what I hear, and from what he has said, he feels just as at home if not more with tOSU, making the near-guaranteed playing time the true distinguishing factor. Hopefully he wakes up tomorrow after a dream like Vonn Bell and ultimately commits to his second home and true love, THE Ohio State University! 

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, at least it's at a position where OSU has created some relative depth. Still stinks to see an Ohio kid leave the state, especially for the SEC. But hey, on the bright side, the Bucks landed Hilliard, and they got Conner after so many ppl on 11W were begging for it to happen, so could be worse.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

whiskeyjuice's picture

There are still a number of top recruits still Interested in OSU, and we are like 8 or 9 months away from NSD. No matter what Baker does, I feel confident that O State will have a top 5 class:)

O--H!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Baker is the top player in Ohio this year. Would sting to lose him to Floriduh of all schools. If 4-8  sorrry ass sec schools can come in our backyard and  snag our best kids then we really need to face off against a sec school in the playoff and destroy them.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
brunstar's picture

Justin Hilliard just raised his eyebrows at your comment.

+8 HS

I love Justin to death and by no mean was it any slight at Hilliard. I have been very strong in my opinion for over the last year that Baker just has a higher ceiling with his superior athleticism. Baker could be a great at RB or LB and he camped at tOSU last year and absolutely dominated everyone in attendance at both positions.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-2 HS

Bill Kurelic just changed his pick to UF too........he's gone

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Conservatively, UF loses 6 games this season (Alabama, LSU, Mizzou, Georgia, SC, and Free Shoes).  Keep a spot open for the guy for when Muschamp gets fired and focus on the next target.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

It would be frightening to see what Mark Dantonio could do at  Florida with all that talent and a real offensive coordinator.

+3 HS
lamplighter's picture

I'd love to see the walrus wearing orange and blue

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

fingers crossed hoping he's trolling all the recruiting analysts. But not trolling TOO far b/c that would mean he's going to Tennessee.

lljjgg's picture

Typically you see all these crystal ball changes because the player called a staff the night before to alert them that he's going there (or conversely, not going there) and it leaked.

He's a Gator IMO. Wiltfong and especially Kurelic (who is about as super optimistic about the Buckeyes chances with any recruit as it's humanly possible to be) have no reason to change their crystal balls unless they're positive he's a Gator.

+1 HS
Buck my Nuts's picture

Gotta believe that Baker wasn't feeling the love after all the hoopla over Hilliard and Cornell. Florida probably used that as ammo this past week and sealed the deal. Gotta wish this kid luck with whatever decision he makes tomorrow and go about business as usual. I agree with many of you that we still have time to recruit this kid. Not over by a long way. Regardless, things are going to turn out well for both parties in the end. We will compete (and win) championships and he gets to live in great weather, lol...

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Hope the staff starts pushing hard for Malik Jefferson.

+10 HS
Hayze's picture

Hope they continue to push for Baker.

+9 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

Exactly what I was thinking.. I would take Jefferson over baker any day of the week IMO

-3 HS

I wouldn't trade top Ohio talent for anyone. 

+4 HS
SWAGGERNAUTICAL's picture

I hate to say it as much as the next guy but the days of Ohio state being only Ohio players is gone, we recruit nationally therefore if we can get a better kid from somewhere else, we will recruit him, also not to brush baker off I hope he's in our class, but there are a ton of the nations best LBs next year that happen to be in Ohio as well. 

My opinion doesn't stem so much from talent. I agree with you about nationwide players and talent. But I'm old school. I must be way older than you. Ohio kids just get it. They get ohio state football. They get everything about it.  And I love that. 

Eph97's picture

0 national championships for 34 years recruiting mostly Ohio kids. I'll take the best talent wherever they come from. If from Ohio all the better though.

+3 HS

Not sure which 34 years you counted, but Cooper was a national recruiter. Interesting enough and to my point, Cooper's teams were terrible in a rivalry game that was rooted in Ohio tradition. Then we got an Ohio recruiter in Tressel and won a championship and played for two more.  

Anyway, for me, elite Ohio talent like Baker, is the cream of the crop. Not to be confused with me saying give me a one star ohio kid over a 5 star out of state recruit.  

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

I was counting 1968-2002. Your point is taken though. Perhaps Ohio kids will put that extra effort in to beat UM, but still give me the out of state 4 star over the in state 3 star. Cooper wasn't a bad coach per se, but he was simply snake bit in The Game. Cooper beat some good ND teams, PSU when it was very good, and the B1G in general was a lot better in his era. However, Tressel clearly understood what it took to win The Game and he was clearly the better overall coach too.

Sims_tOSU's picture

Dontre is from Texas and I think we all know he gets it. 

-4 HS
cdub4's picture

Jack Tatum was from NJ, George was from PA, they got it too.

-1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Tell that to Michael Jenkins and Chris Gamble, there's no title without them.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I'll trade it for more talented players that stay out of trouble, stay eligible, and win national championships. I'd prefer that most of those kids come from Ohio, but if not, so what? It's like someone being born somewhere else but moving to the US, why would I deny their American Dream?

+1 HS
swainpm's picture

247 has Jefferson taking an official to Columbus so I am sure they will start the push.

Hayze's picture

Still doesn't make sense to me, but that's what happens in recruiting.

I don't blame him for going to Florida. I question him committing there six months before signing day, only visited there once and the extreme possibility of the entire staff not even being there if Florida has another bad season.

+6 HS

Yea you have to believe Muschump was lucky enough to buy himself a do-over this season. I'm going to guess UF will not accept 5-6 losses this year out of their team and heads will roll. Now I do not know if Will has some extraordinary buyout keeping him locked in or anything like that.

-1 HS
exnwohiobuckfan's picture

I don't know if he does, but considering this is his first hc gig, I would guess not.

labuck's picture

What's that you say Urban?  To you, this means that Florida is only in his top 3.  Got it!  Thanks man and keep up the good work on the trail and on the field.

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm really curious how Florida got him to buy into the depth argument if that's really what he said on the phone.

OSU - 5 OLBs over the last 3 classes (1 gone in Mike Mitchell, 1 converted to TE in Sam Hubbard, and 1 many scouts project as a MLB in J.Hilliard [even if Hilliard stays at OLB, it wouldn't be at the same OLB spot as Baker])
UF - 4 OLBs over the last 3 classes (and 1 soon to be added in Adonis Thomas)

The fact that those 4 OLBs for Florida are in the 2013 class means that Baker is very unlikely to crack their starting line-up until his Junior or Senior year. Not trying to be sour grapes, just speaking honestly. Whatever Florida coach got him to buy into the idea that he'd start early/earlier at UF should win an Oscar haha.

+1 HS

You should totally tweet that to him!

On a serious note, I am too lazy to look it up but I you seem like a trustworthy guy. If it is true, then who knows, maybe all of this is just a smokescreen ploy like the Glenville guys. Or maybe I'm just an overly optimistic Buckeye, but here's hoping he sees the logic like you do!

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I'll freak out if Birm changes his CB. There is a part of me preparing myself to miss on Baker tho. 

+3 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

Birm said 4:1 odds of him going to the Buckeyes just last week or perhaps it was earlier this week.  Those are huge odds.  He won't change them.

jamesrbrown322's picture

What I'd like to know is what happened between today and June 20. He named OSU his leader on June 20th, then all of the sudden everything went the other way...just confusing.

But the mind of a 17 year old changes quickly. Still sticking to my theory that UF is a player and possible favorite simply because everyone has said he was going to OSU for a long time, and he just want to be different and not be told where to go. I felt like Lattimore felt this way last year, and that one worked out, so who knows?

Honestly, I get wanting to play in the SEC, I do. But Florida?!?!?! They'd be my 4th-5th choice. And if you're going to the state of Florida why not FSU? Oh well, good luck to him. He'll probably start from day 1 there, and watch McMillan and Hilliard win titles while he plays in Gator Bowls...

Hayze's picture

This is exactly how I feel. This is exactly what's so confusing about it. Unless he's just trolling (which I doubt) something changed between June 20th and now.

irishfury's picture

I posted about 3 weeks ago that I heard Florida was his choice from someone who knows him.  I didn't pay it much mind till he released his top three and Florida was there.

+1 HS
DenBuck's picture

Hate to lose him but we have tons of LB's. 

Buckeye For Life

Funny because Birm had 4 to 1 odds on Baker being a Buckeye as of just yesterday. But in the World of recruiting nobody wants to be wrong so I could see him changing it sometime late tonight. 

Ahh Saturday's picture

4 to 1 are pretty long odds for a guy that everyone thought was a Buckeye until about four days ago.

+2 HS
DannyBeane's picture

Florida does such a great job of developing talent though...

+9 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

It would suck to lose him but LB isn't our biggest need right now, we could use that scholly and a position of need... however, I would love to have him in our class... if we do miss out on him and are still looking to take another LB, hopefully it'll be Malik Jefferson out of Texas.  He just ran a 4.39 or something like that at the Opening and said he knows 3 schools that are for sure getting an official visit and tOSU was one of them.

+3 HS

Very solid point Kareem. Urban has a history of following up a miss with a even bigger impact type player at a position of need.

-1 HS
TheNorthernBuckeye's picture

I don't care what the depth situation is like you cannot let the top talent leave. One of my biggest pet peeves.  

"You're an angry football team, and I'm proud to be your coach." - UFM

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Agree 100%, but gotta believe that the staff did all they could to keep him in Ohio.

Ahh Saturday's picture

So, anybody know who the Buckeyes lead recruiter was on Baker?

kareemabduljacobb's picture

On 247 it says he's being recruited by Drayton and Fickell.  So either one of them.?

dwcbuckeye's picture

Fickell, huh?  I might of known

+5 HS
lljjgg's picture

Coach Drayton (RBs coach) IIRC. Not sure if it was a locational deal, or because they were recruiting Baker at RB at one point.

People hate on Coach Fickell, but this is one situation where not having Coach Fickell heavily recruiting a player who would have been in his position group (vs. Florida where their DC & LBs coach DJ Durkin was his primary recruiter) could have been a large part of what hurt them in the end. This is just speculation though, hopefully they had Coach Fickell heavily involved as well.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Thanks for the info guys, and all I can say is that it looks like Drayton and/or Fickell got a little bit lazy on this one, because there's no way we should be losing a Cleveland guy to that dumpster fire down in Gainesville.  Any argument they can make to bring him down there should be easily countered, and if he likes palm trees that much, I think they have a couple at the botanical gardens.  

-3 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Drayton

Gooz-fra-bah...

+1 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

It all comes down to player-coach relationships. Nobody does it like Will....

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+4 HS
ATT2121's picture

I'd love to see him in Scarlet & Gray, but I wish him the best no matter what he chooses tomorrow.

"It all goes so fast, and character makes the difference when it's close."
Jesse Owens

+4 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

If he does pick Florida tomorrow hopefully all can show restraint in our reactions! Because if he does pick Florida I can easily see him flipping to us before NSD!! As long as the Schollie is still there!!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

+3 HS
weimerad's picture

All I have to say is what a frickin joke if he picks Florida

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Either you commit to the Buckeyes or you lose to the Buckeyes. Simple as that. Would have loved to have him but if thinks Florida is what's best for him, then all power to the young man! Good luck sir. On to the next one.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Guess I won't be setting my alarm for 7am......

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

If we don't get him, it may feel like this...... 

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+5 HS
lippertini's picture

Hilarious.  Nots rue why, but took me literally about ten watches to see the girl in stripes do her kick.  Definitely added some mystique to my experience, haha.

+3 HS
DaveStephens's picture

I can't give this enough upvotes.

The Dude abides.

Sims_tOSU's picture

That's okay he will probably go down to Florida for one season and see how terrible it actually is down there bc the campus sucks and the team is horrible then transfer to the buckeyes anyways. He's 18 so let him learn the hard way. 

-5 HS
RenegadeBuckeye's picture

Just curious...who would Baker have to battle for playing time against at either UF or tOSU? 

FROMTHE18's picture

well its simple: crap down at UF or future NFL draft picks at OSU. I think if you want to be elite you need to compete with and prove yourself that you are elite. Simply wanting to walk in and have playing time given to you is something true competitors want to avoid. Not to say Baker won't be awesome, but he won't be pushed as hard at UF as he will be at OSU and you just have to wonder will that make him better or worse? I don't know, but Im more convinced by the latter than the former.

+1 HS
KevinJ's picture

This sums up Gator Football right now

+8 HS
cinserious's picture

I totally thought it was a typical Fall Saturday night in the alley behind my Neil Ave. efficiency back in '98!

Gone ham, be back soon...

osu407's picture

I heard his offer wasn't commitable anyways.  The staff didn't really want him.

+8 HS
dan_isaacs's picture

Hahaha!  He's a freak.  An unstoppable force.  He'd be starting by his sophomore year.  You are crazy if you think our staff didn't really want him.

Dan Isaacs

-6 HS
Urban_Can_Recruit's picture

Wow you totally get it... 

+10 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

Sorry. Double post. 

+8 HS
BroJim's picture

I think he will be a Buckeye

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Sticking with my pick til the bitter end...Buckeye.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Kentucky writers love your dedication.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

If he does go to UF I just hope we don't start seeing the "Urban Meyer can't recruit" threads again.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I believe it is OSU unless Birm changes his mind.

+2 HS

It just doesnt make a lot of rational sense. We have the rockstar coach that brought UF up to their current level. Their current coach just finished a 4-8 campaign where he lost to a 1-AA team. FSU,LSU,USCe,Auburn, or Bama hell even Clemson would make more sense. Florida is very unstable at the moment and I think near years end could see a complete overhaul. Anything short of the Athletic director showing me sworn statements that Mark Dantonio has already agreed to terms following the 14' season just has me dumbfounded. They have one thing on us and thats vacation weather. Big Whooptie man that shit gets old after a week.

+2 HS
ronbizi's picture

They have one thing on us and thats vacation weather. Big Whooptie man that shit gets old after a week.

Agreed with everything you said until this last part.  Having vacation weather all year long does not get old after a week.  In fact, it is quite awesome.  And from all the Ohio State fans I met while living in Dallas, Phoenix, and Tampa, many Ohio State fans agree.

I lived in the Dallas, Arlington area of Texas for a few years in the mid nineties. One summer we had a record of over 100 degrees for like 90 days straight. It was anything but beautiful if you didnt have a swimming pool close by. I also visit the Lakeland area of Florida quite often. While certain times of the year it is great Ohio also has certain  times that they are better. My wifes grandparents have retirement property in Florida and also own property here in Cincinnati. They are avid golfers and to maximize their golfing and enjoyment they travel back and forth from Florida to Ohio several times a year. I'll agree that vacation weather is great when at the current moment where you live the weather is lousy.I'd probably rather live in Florida for the winter months but hands down I'd rather be in Ohio for most of spring and summer.

As a person who had been living in Florida for the past 12 years or so, I completely agree. And while a lot of Florida isn't add bad as you described with Texas, I can say first hand that Gainesville is truly miserable. The inner state of Florida averages around 100 during the summer with literally zero wind. Not to mention the city itself is terrible and in the middle of nowhere

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

For those who don't understand the Florida choice -- remember that at the end of the day, his close relationship with Urban Meyer is what made Raekwon McMillan leave his home in Georgia. His young brothers, his mom, etc.

It's not unthinkable that his close relationship (as has been reported) with D.J. Durkin is what has caused Jerome Baker to leave Ohio for Florida. It's unfortunate because there's a high likelihood Durkin won't even be there next year, but it is what it is. The relationship made the difference for McMillan, it's very possible the relationship has made the difference for Baker. Unfortunate, but looks to be the reality.

I wish him the best of luck regardless. If he chooses Florida, he's going to get a lot of hate from a lot of people, hopefully no one from 11w's joins that petty group. He's a kid, at the end of the day. I hope he has a long, healthy career, and that he plays fantastically for Florida when OSU mops the floor with them in a future playoff/championship game. ;)

+7 HS
osu407's picture

That is a very good point.  Not to put words in everyone's mouths, but I think what surprises them about Baker is that he has a strong enough relationship with them despite only visiting once.  Also, he is committing in July instead of February, and often many recruits that go out of state due to relationships with coaches wait until later in the process.  However, I definitely agree with you that we should wish him luck no matter what he announces tommorow. I believe that we as a fan base can't expect to both land out of state talent and keep our in state talent with one hundred percent efficiency, accepting this fact will make us more comfortable when things don't go our way.

+3 HS
Eph97's picture

If he picks UF, so be it. In the Tressel years I would have been more upset, but with Urb it just means he'll fill the scholly with someone just as good.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I hope he chooses osu but I won't turn into a hater if he chooses otherwise.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Here's hoping that OSU gets Damien Harris and Matthew Burrell as consolation prizes...

Also, I am assuming that Baker going to UF would mean he no longer would attend FNL?

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Hopefully Birm and Baker are trolling up. It's all a ploy.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Gotta admit, as good as last Wednesday was, no Scott, no Baker, and no LeBron within 12 hours of each other is a pretty rough run for the state.

+4 HS
SHAKENBAKE68's picture

There's always tomorrow! I'm thinking Baker's a Buckeye!

Go Bucks!!

There is no such thing as "friendly fire"..

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Keep hope alive for the rest of us!

FitzBuck's picture

Well at least it's not Michig@n.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

Knarcisi's picture

Maybe it's Bassdropper trolling the analysts. 

+1 HS
brunstar's picture

I still think it makes no sense for him to go to UF.  If I'm wrong, then I still won't admit defeat until NSD.  Muschump isn't surviving this season along with most of his coaching staff.

buckskin's picture

I smell Urban trolling U of F. Let him verbal to Florida, then "flip" him on NSD.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

All this will be a moot point once Baker watches the season unfold, Muschump on the hot seat, Buckeyes in the inaugural CFB Playoffs, UF with another loosing season. If his schollie's still available by come February, he'll be back. It's a wrap!

Gone ham, be back soon...

+1 HS
rjsmitty's picture

Don't read too much into this...If Baker commits to Florida its only because he doesn't see himself getting on the field at OSU with the current group of LBs. If he truly believes in his abilities and believes he would play here he will be a Buckeye!

BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

Well said rj--not gonna get everyone you want in recruiting anyways!! And at Ohio state at linebacker they better be ready to compete!! Just how it is!!

-1 HS
AJBor41's picture

No matter what he decides today Urban still has a lot of time, and a full season of on-field results, to try to either sway Jerome to OSU or keep him there.  I think that UF telling him that he'll be a LB and OSU currently only committing to him as an Athlete, could be a slight pull in the wrong direction. However, I think his talent would earn him early PT.

seafus26's picture

Who is next in line to be florida's next coach, once Muschamp is fired after this year? Isn't this  Muschamp's first head gig? First head gig, no conference titles, no national championships, sinking a once proud program... You've got better options, Mr. Baker.   

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I would have said Charlie Strong had he not just gone to Texas (arguably a better gig, given how automatic recruiting is for them and well, its 'Texas'). My guess is Florida will attempt to lure a rockstar type hire with Harbaugh, who will say no, or someone like that. The thing with Florida is that they don't have a ton of tradition IMO and a lot of their ex players haven't really made it onto the coaching scene, so Im not sure they would be able to get what they want. IMO, Muschamp is a hell of a coordinator but to hire him as a replacement for URBAN MEYER who just won you 2 national titles, made you a dominant force in the SEC, and had a heisman winner, was probably their best option. Florida is a great program to coach because of its positives (recruiting, warm weather, SEC, all that) but I just don't see the desire from any elite coaches to want to go there. You may see a coordinator get the gig if/when Muschamp is fired, or someone like Gruden. The pull for that school is nothing compared to Alabama, LSU in that conference and the USC, Ohio State, ND's when thinking of nationally. Its got positives, but it'd be a rebuilding project (similar to Miami) and in SEC country, you either win or you are gone so I don't see an elite coach wanted to try and resurrect what Urban built. I hope its as laughable of a hire as Ron Zook, just to see them continue to be crap, but chances are it'll be a top coordinator (probably offensive). 

+1 HS
walkman33's picture

hey guys...will there be a "live feed" streaming link posted on the site for Jerome Baker's announcement at 10 am this morning?  Thanks and GOOOO BUCKS!!!

+1 HS
jmacaulay17's picture

I was wondering the same thing myself!

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Woodshed's picture

Man, if he picks osu there is going to be a lot of back pedaling.

Buck Wild's picture

Gator...

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

FitzBuck's picture

Well they got a good one.  Hopefully UF finishes 3 and 9 and fire Muschamp. 

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

gobucks96's picture

Worst Friday Ever!!!

AGAB's picture

The King is coming home from Fla !!  This kid will see the error of his decision and commit to the Buckeyes later this year !!  The King, Johnny Football and OSU- the best trio in sports !!!