Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Half-Hour Open Forum - Recruiting Questions for Birm

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
July 7, 2014 at 9:28pm
101 Comments

Hi guys.

I'm in my hotel in Beaverton and since today was a short one, I'd like to hear from you all. What's on everyone's mind tonight? 

rosycheeks's picture

How much does Ohio State WANT Gibson right now?

+5 HS

They've always wanted Gibson. Sometimes the best way to get what you want is to back off and see if the other party is truly interested. They don't doubt his athleticism at all, and would love to see him continue to improve and mature off the field. 

IF he visits, as usual, watch out.

jedkat's picture

Was ramzy's drunk recommendation spot on?

ok ok Baker?

edit: leaving the autocorrect.

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

Ramzy is always spot on in regards to bourbon. 

I posted my thoughts on Baker here

Orlando Buckeye's picture

Drank Liber-teas all day Friday.  Ramzy's recommendation re-recommended.

InTressITrust's picture

Is Ohio State still recruiting Gibson?  I thought we cooled on him completely but was looking at other sites and it seems like we are still very much a player.

EDIT: Was asked 46 seconds before I posted. 

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Percentage of certainty that Baker commits to Ohio State?

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture

I was wondering this same thing, of course.

Another potential way of answering Rosycheeks' question: If you had to put your percentages on OSU v Florida at this very moment for Baker, where would you put them? (60 - OSU, 40 - UF; 50 - OSU, 50 - UF, etc).

+1 HS

I will put, today, the odds of Baker being a Buckeye at 4:1

bethesdabuck's picture

Will pursuing Gibson scare off Burrow?

No, Joe is the guy the Buckeyes wanted and he's the leader in their class.

Here's a quote from someone close to the recruitment of Burrow, from this afternoon.

"Joey Burrow is very similar (to Jarrett Stidham) Smooth quick release. Competitor. Maybe a step less quick than Stidham. I love Joey though. He's gonna be a leader and a championship winner."

Killer nuts's picture

That quote brings a smile to my face 

+3 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

Question already asked re: Baker...

rosycheeks's picture

How does the recruitment of Damien Harris affect how Ohio State pursues other RB's like Scott? Is there fear that if OSU gets Scott, it could scare off Harris? How does a staff handle situations like that?

Nothing will scare off Harris, but Harris could certainly scare off anyone else. 

Mercurius's picture

What's going on with Drew Richmond? You crystal balled him to Memphis.

+3 HS

Buckeyes will get a return visit from Drew at the end of the summer, and as long as he continues to take care of things in the classroom, it's likely going to come down to OSU/Tennessee - the Memphis thing was just a "joke" to see to how many people would ask me about it.

The answer was a lot.

Mercurius's picture

If staff could get upvotes...

+7 HS
Killer nuts's picture

What's the story with WR recruiting right now 

Buckeyes are in a good position still for Van Jefferson, although I worry about Tennessee. He visits next weekend and it will be his final college visit before making a choice. OSU has to continue to pound home this point: "We've got no one on the roster like Van..."

Christian Kirk is out there, and a real possibility. If those were the two, they might be the only two unless a guy like Calvin Ridley or George Campbell wanted in.

Killer nuts's picture

It seems like Van Jefferson and Kirk are both 50/50 shots at this point, is it possible that we end up with no WR?

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

We're in on some big time D line prospects for 2015, realistically how do you see the class finishing up?

I like the finish of Josh Sweat and Christian Wilkins, would love Neville Gallimore but seems to be a kid who likes someone different every other day.

blazers34's picture

Any players attending FNL that you anticipate getting an offer?

door completely shut on Conrad and stump(sp?)?

+1 HS

Yes on Conrad, and probably on Stump, if he won't camp.

osu407's picture

How many defensive linemen do you see us taking in this class, and is that number higher due to Marcus and Sprinkle. 

I think they'd like to see two or three more added. 

PittBuckeye's picture
+8 HS

Neither. Bow-chicka-wowow.

Crimson's picture

Birm's out there, and he's lovin' every minute of it!

+6 HS
Crimson's picture

I love Homer's answer, a true understanding of logic statements.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Best question of the bunch.

otrain2416's picture

Who's stock do you expect to increase after the opening?

Obviously most of the guys here are here because they're pretty highly-ranked already. I think people will see how good the Miramar, Florida defensive backs are, Tyrek Cole and Kendrell McFadden. I also think that Christian Kirk will once again prove to be uncoverable and get his consensus fifth star. He's the best WR in the country.

SilverState's picture

Man do I want Kirk. I've crossed over to the dark side with DJ. Whatever it takes. Just give me your PayPal and the money is on its way. Get an inconspicuous duffle bag and...

+2 HS
HolyBuckeye1093's picture

Any chance of getting Josh Sweat or is that just a pipe dream? Seeing as how Sprinkle is off the team, Spence prob gone next year, and Bosa prob leaving after junior year he could fit right in at the DE spot.

+1 HS

Definitely not a pipe dream, he made the trip last week because he's interested; and now the trip to FSU that they had planned this month is a "maybe." I think it's an Ohio State, Virginia Tech or Georgia race right now.

HolyBuckeye1093's picture

Do u still see OSU as the team to beat for Matt Burrell?

I do, but there's a lot that can happen. If he makes it back to OSU for Friday Night Lights as planned, I think they become the overwhelming leader.

Killer nuts's picture

Do we get a tight end in this class?

+2 HS

No. Focus on two for 2016 in-state.

Mercurius's picture

Christian Wilkins or Neville Gallimore; or both?

Mercurius's picture

Already answered above.

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

Is there anyone there that could end up a buckeye that no one has been talking about?

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+1 HS

I think that player is Christian Wilkins, and that's because he doesn't talk about recruiting. He's really good and the Buckeyes have been involved for a while, but he's so atypical with how he handles his recruitment that we've literally heard nothing about him.

ITWASME's picture

Anyone not currently on the fans radar who should be?

+1 HS
osu407's picture

Thanks for doing this. It is greatly appreciated, even if it might be potentially a few bourbons that led to it. 

+2 HS

Hotel boredom = no tell bourbon.

tdible2132's picture

Nvm answered above 

PittBuckeye's picture

How many times in these various question answering threads do you find yourself answering the same question that you've posted 5 other places on the site?

+3 HS
Urban_Can_Recruit's picture

Is LeBron coming back? Lol 

+4 HS

Yes. It's one of two options that "make sense" for his legacy and Miami isn't home, Ohio is.

Buck Wild's picture

Birm...any chance to land both Sweat & Gallimore? 

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

Yes, but I feel better about Sweat than Gallimore.

BuckeyeAZOH's picture

I think you mean Wilkins, correct??

Purple Raider

Crimson's picture

No, but he posted a comment above about Wilkins.

tdible2132's picture

I feel like ppl are disregarding UK too easily for Damien Harris. Do you think even a 6-6 or 7-5 UK season (unlikely but possible) would mean he ends up a Wildcat?

I have said a few times I think if UK wins 7 games he will choose Kentucky.

Buck Wild's picture

Then he's a Buckeye!

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

+7 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

What if UK wins 7 games but OSU wins a National Championship?

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

If Ohio State misses out on VJ, would that open the door for Stump?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

No, I don't think so. Buckeyes want Stump to camp, Stump isn't into the idea.

Daddypete's picture

Birm

How about Tim Settle and DeBerry...thoughts on either or both? And thanks for all you do.

"Stand and Deliver!"

+1 HS

Don't think Ohio State is a legitimate option for either at this point. Settle, despite bridges being "repaired" is likely gone and I think DeBerry would be left as sort of the "man without a position."

TraSmith4's picture

Will you get a chance to see the digs at Oregon up in Eugene before you head home?

No, unfortunately we're not in Eugene.

lljjgg's picture

I believe everyone asked each and every question I had on my mind, so I just wanted to take some time out to say thanks for all that you do Birm! You and Steve Wiltfong are the two best in the business, IMO.

+7 HS

Thanks, I appreciate that sort of respect a ton. Steve is head and shoulders above where I am in this whole mess, but I do try and handle my business and recruit's information the 'right' way. We've come a long way in the last year at 11W I think, and we started in a pretty great spot because of the work Alex and Derek did.

d1145fresh's picture

Ny chance of a "Mitchell Situation" at the opening this year (I.e. A guy not many of us have heard of all of the sudden is top of OSU's radar)?

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Would we take Washington, Hill, and McCall for 2016? McCall would probably be a WR but would it happen?

That's a great question and one that may have to be answered soon. My gut instinct is "no."

Hayze's picture

This info is the most schocking to me in this whole thread.

Seems like Hill and McCall are both elite athletes and WR/hybrid role type players. I'd think we could take both of them, and a true RB in next years class. After all, the only true RBs on the roster in 2016 would (theoretically) be Dunn, Ball and Elliott (assuming he doesn't go pro). Also on the roster would be Samuel and whoever we get in 2015. Seems like a true RB would be good to take in 2016.

Woodshed's picture

IMO hill is the true RB.

40eastbuckeye's picture

If baker goes to Florida does the staff look at other possibilities or just see if they can hit a home run with someone like malik Jefferson

cpewster's picture

Rumor was that Harris is committing at the opening. Have you heard anything about it?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

robb1379's picture

Continuation of the above question...Any chance of any commitment from any recruit to the good guys at the opening?

bethesdabuck's picture

I know many have said it already, but let me add to the three-part harmony in saying I really appreciate you doing this. What's more, I really appreciate everything you do for 11w and how you handle your business. Honestly, when Alex left I thought that was the end of a good ride and that a free site wouldn't see that quality again. With all due respect to Alex, who did a fantastic job, you've raised the bar. And I don't say that just because we are both natives of the #419, though that helps! 

+2 HS
Fatpants's picture

How happy are you to not be getting 12,362 Hilliard questions per day?

+1 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Birm, how does the staff choose who will be the primary recruiter for each recruit?

UrbzRenewal's picture

I'm no expert, but each staff member is designated a region (for example Zach Smith gets the mid-Atlantic and partially Florida, Tom Herman gets Texas and Cali, Coombs gets Cinci and TSUN). And then it's also based on their position coach as well.

+1 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Thanks for the info.

BroJim's picture

11W is awesome, where else can this happen? Thanks, Brim!

I season my simple food with hunger

Squirrel Master's picture

Birm, have you recently stopped answering questions?

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+6 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

That was great!!!!!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

southernstatesbuckeye's picture

Birm, did the bourbon finally do you in?

Poison nuts's picture

Looks like you may be gone, but I'll ask anyway...noticed today you still have Harris CB'd to Ttun - any particular reason as to why?

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

KansasBuckeye's picture

On the off chance you come back to this thread, Birm, I was wondering if there is any chance nyheim hines or rashad roundtree end up as part of this class? I really like both of these guys but haven't heard much lately.

Buck Commander's picture

HE GONE!!!!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
gn4011's picture

Birm committed to Florida with Baker.  He is now only responding to questions from the Gator fans.

Buckeye_Forever

+6 HS
Earle's picture

Sorry I missed this.  Surprised the open forum with Birm didn't crash the site again.

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

That song sounds quite a bit like one of WGH's letters, minus the animated body parts.

Italics are for emphasis.

Woodshed's picture

Any kind of fool could see...

RickKaneWasHere's picture

Have you talked to T-Gibby, Birm? 

If so, what's your read on him, in terms of genuine OSU interest?

Thanks,

Rick

Can you put the past away?