Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Larry Scott

305Buck's picture
July 4, 2014 at 11:37am
64 Comments

To announce his commitment on the 23rd or 24th of this month, per his twitter.

Killer nuts's picture

The train keeps a rollin

Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Can't wait for the last 8- 10 studs!! Then the ridiculous 2016 Class!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I agree Muff - I think the last few in will be all out complete ballers

theopulas's picture

I think Larry will be a great back if he comes to OSU...the history of making NFL backs is here and his style is always a great weapon when chasing a national title, even if Harris is here.Together, the 1,2 punch ...they will win championships....

Theopulas

+2 HS
Sims_tOSU's picture

I would keep an eye on Damien Harris especially now if he wants to be the only guy in this class. He's been thinking about moving up his commitment already that might just set it off. 

-1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I'm hoping he does it at The Opening, although he has not stated anything about it as far as I know.  It would be great for OSU if he did.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I hope Harris and Scott aren't intimidated by each other because I think their different running styles could be complementary on the field.  Scott is a bigger and more powerful back, so he isn't afraid to push through the first crack he sees.  Harris is more patient and relies on his vision and timing cutbacks.  Both have adequate speed, but nobody would say they're burners.  I'm not really sure who is better at catching passes in the backfield.

Edit: ok, Harris is a little faster than I remembered.

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

Sigh . . . +1 for spelling complementary correctly.

+3 HS
305Buck's picture

I would label Harris as a burner. Kid ran a 4.36 at the Best of the Midwest combine.

+11 HS
OSU069's picture

I don't know, Harris is pretty fast. I think you could label him as a burner, at least right now. He's definitely a good amount faster than Scott.

+2 HS
cpewster's picture

Harris has already said that he's not afraid of competition and it won't effect his decision. He feels he's the best and he's willing to prove it.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

2002osubuck's picture

Harris is a beast and a burner. Scott is more power back than speed. They would complement each other but Harris stated he wants to be the only RB in his class. I think a kid with his talent shouldnt be too concerned with another RB, he's gonna have to compete for the spot regardless.

Crimson's picture

Harris said he would prefer to be the only back, but he doesn't mind if there are two.

+2 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

Harris and Scott appear to me like a warren ball/bri'onte Dunn tandem.  They both do different things and both could make a serious impact.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

CC's picture

I hope not considering they have a combined 30 or so carries in their careers at OSU.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

That's because they had Hyde and Hall ahead of them.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

CC's picture

The really good backs would have started over Hyde and Hall.  Clarrett and Beanie would have easily.  I'm not saying those two are "normal" but by OSU standards it is certainly possible.

People forget Hyde was less than impressive leading into 2012 and his spot was vulnerable going into the year.

-1 HS
Woodshed's picture

This post isn't serious is it?

so Hyde didn't improve since 2012?

how in the world are you comparing ball and Dunn to 2 of the best RB prospects to ever play at osu?

oh and Hyde was the 2nd RB taken in the NFL draft. Your sentiment that he wasn't really that good is absolutely freaking preposterous.

+2 HS
CC's picture

Woodshed - You didn't get my point.  When Dunn and Ball came in (2012) Hyde was not who he was at the end of 2012 or 2013.

The really good backs would have beat him out of a spot.  There is no way in hell MoC doesn't start over Hyde if MoC was a freshman in 2012.  MoC walked onto campus as a man and took the job on a team that won a national championship.

My point is there is a difference between the great backs (MoC, Beanie, Eddie, Archie) and the really good ones (Hyde et al).

Jbuckham94's picture

So let me see if I got your point. Are you complaining that Dunn and ball aren't as good as probably the 4 best running backs in OSU history? I guess I get your point, if they were that good then yes, they would start over Hyde.

However, how can you express any displeasure in what Carlos Hyde produced after his sophomore season, and what Dunn and Ball haven't produced prior to their athletic junior season? Seems like you're expecting a bit much of these kids.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+1 HS
CC's picture

Who was complaining?  It's just a fact.  Can we not compare good vs. great oh great arbiter of the message board?

People forget Hyde was less than impressive leading into 2012 and his spot was vulnerable going into the year.

For the amount of time he played in '11, Hyde played well.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
chirobuck's picture

Dude dont sell hyde short he was the best damn back in the country last year and a lot of people going into the season, including myself, were very excited about him....you trying to tell me a freshmen would have started in front of him is absurd

^ best post ever ^

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

His point was that when he had the same eligibility as Dunn and Ball do now, an elite freshman would have started over him.  The comment wasn't about Hyde's senior season.

Ball was injured his freshmen year.

The comment wasn't about Hyde's senior season.

Going into the 2012 season, I was really excited to see what Hyde could do.

he was the best damn back in the country last year

Love Hyde, but I think a healthy Gurley was a little better.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Yea Harris is a true "Burner" at the RB position. I agree they would compliment each other perfectly. The problem I see is they are both "franchise" back types. Both could lead a team and when their senior seasons are nearing a end I fully expect both of them to be "top 5" running backs in the Nation. If we were to pull both of them in it would be one of the greatest RB hauls I have personally seen at tOSU. I'll stay optimistic but I have a hard time believing both will be playing on the same team. Stan Drayton needs a raise if he can pull this off.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
1967Buck's picture

I hear what your saying Groveport. But I think Urban and crew are bringing in franchise type players at all positions, every year. Peace bro.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I know they are bringing in franchise type players at every position  possible but how many times do you not only see us but see anybody sign multiple type franchise players at the same  position in the same class? USC use to pull it off,Bama pulls it off,but its a rarity. I want it to happen  but I guess I'm keeping my expectations in my  pocket.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
Crimson's picture

Scott: Man, Harris, you're fast as hell!

Harris: Damn, Scott, you just ran over the whole defense!

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Watch the Harris film. He's a burner. I know those are HS kids, but beating guys with 20 yards and an angle on you is insane. 

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

I think Harris will commit to OSU at The Opening and Scott goes to MSU. Any rational RB would see how Dunn is riding pine and EZE is going to start and put two and two together.

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Or see the incredible need OSU will have for true RBs in the very near future. Competition is something the best of the best want, to prove themselves against the best. OSU spread the ball around to those who deserve the opportunities. OSU will get two of Weber, Scott, and Harris. If Scott wants an easier path to playing time, then thats fine, go to MSU, which would send Weber and Harris to OSU. Either way it works out, OSU will get two premier RB prospects and its up to Scott whether he is one of them or not. 

+6 HS
theopulas's picture

i think Scott will play at any school he goes to, and playing at a school that makes NFL running backs, and playing for a national championship counts....

Theopulas

+1 HS
PrideofOhio81's picture

The backfield is crowded now, I don't see why they would take two....I mean don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain, I just feel RB is the one position group on the team that doesn't need help. 

TraSmith4's picture

It's not going to get any less crowded as we will take another 2 RB's in '16 as well. We already have George Hill and will most likely get Demario McCall or Robert Washington. It works at Alabama just fine I don't see why it won't work here as well. We have a pretty nice history with running backs and Heisman trophies :))))

+2 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

This is why it works at Alabama.

All jokes aside though, we are going to need a replenishing of the stables in a few years and a situation where we get 2 of the 3 mentioned in '15 and '16 would be pretty awesome.

+10 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

He might earn a Hellcat Challenger from Saban this year.

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

I wouldn't be surprised if we take all three as McCall would be a slot receiver/Dontre Wilson role.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

If you look at the scholarship grid as it currently sits, it's actually not that crowded.  Rod Smith is gone after this year, and then you have Ball, Dunn, Elliott, and Wilson who will all be Juniors or RS Juniors next year, with Parris Campbell currently listed on there as a RB.  So any commits for this class will have 1 year to probably sit, before having a legit shot a good chunk of playing time.  I know the grid doesn't factor in Samuel, or perhaps any of the other athletes that are currently listed as WRs, but still, there is a definite need for true RBs in this class, preferably 2.

305Buck's picture

Campbell has been told he will start off at WR with a chance to move to RB down the road, but right now he's at WR. Wilson has also moved to Philly Brown's old spot, which means after this year it will only be Elliot, Dunn and Ball as true RBs, and Dunn will be a Senior.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

2013: 1

2014:0

2015:? 

That there shows the importance that we need 2, Their freshman year you have EZE as a potential Day 1-2 pick at RB then the rest are in their senior year.  There would be no competition for them going into their Soph year...Take that and run.

+2 HS

Samuel is playing RB.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Samuel isn't even at 200 pounds yet, Even urban said he's a 5-10 carry guy at max..

+2 HS
BengalErnst's picture

Yet..

Nicholas l Ernst

JDunc686's picture

Dunn would be a RS Junior, I believe.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

He's a red-shirt JR now..2014 is his 4th year in the program

JDunc686's picture

He was part of the 2012 recruiting class, he took a RS last year, he will be a RS Sophomore this season.

CentralFloridaBuckeye's picture

I agree we really need to get 2 good backs in this class.  A power and a speed back would be ideal to mix it up. 

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
theopulas's picture

Urban didn't recruit Dunn or Ball or Smith and they are not going to factor in to the future picture.......

Theopulas

Sarcasm?

+2 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

Ball was already in the 2012 recruiting class when Urban was hired. Smith was already at school when Urban was hired. Urban aggressively recruited Dunn, and Dunn committed after Urban was hired as the coach. They all certainly are part of the future.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+6 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Agreed. Good football players are in the future plans. If Urban Meyer only wanted to play the guys he recruited, I doubt Hyde would have had the year he had...

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+4 HS
theopulas's picture

Hyde was special, and i don't mean only Meyer recruits will play but when you recruit a kid, the loyalty and the responsibility is alittle different....

Theopulas

+1 HS
DenBuck's picture

We need Scott. He belongs at THE Ohio State University...

Buckeye For Life

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

I find it funny how 247 doesn't have Damien Harris as a top 50 prospect because he plays in Kentucky, while they ranked Matt Elam as the 21st ranked prospect last year when the kid played against kids in Kentucky who he was 3 or 4 times bigger then.

They have Frasier as the #1 back, lets see how Frasier compares to Harris across the recruiting sites.

247- Harris - 56 , Frasier - 39
Rivals - Harris - 4 , Frasier - Not Ranked (4 star)
Scout - Harris - 34 , Frasier - 45
ESPN - Harris 28th , Frasier - 81st

Everyone knows Harris is far and away the top RB in the country, everyone except 247 I guess.

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

Well I think level of competition plays are far bigger role for running backs than defensive linemen. Harris is by far the best running back in the nation, but running back is also something that is hard to project. Speed and vision isn't the only thing that makes a great running back(i.e. Maurice Wells). I think they want to see how Harris performs against top talent at the opening or at the All American game first. I think if he performs well there, he may be a top 3 player on all sites

305Buck's picture

I think what some people don't understand is that if Harris was in Florida for example, he would have better players around him making it harder to contain him. He would have a better QB that could take the lid off the defense, he would have better players blocking for him, and he would have better WRs on the outside, forcing the defense to stay back and not put 8 or 9 in the box.

Watch Harris film, the defense is almost always in the back field because his offensive line sucks, yet this kid still makes plays.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/590626/highlights/80773375

I also don't agree with level of competition being a bigger role for RBs than defensive linemen. Matt Elam was 6'6 370 going against kids who were no bigger than 200 pounds on the opposing teams offensive line and that made him look way better than he actually will be. 247 had him ranked as the 21st best prospect, while the composite had him at 164. Once again every other site was right on this one and 247 was wrong.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1271239/highlights/61400379

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

But Elam didn't start out that high. Was rewarded after his performance at camps. 

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Meh he would have dropped significantly had he picked Kentucky over Alabama before the final rankings were locked in and released.

Bama bump backfired on 247.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

You're trying to make rankings far more granular than they really are.

OMG 247 has him all the way down at #56, those fools!

whiskeyjuice's picture

I assume the loss of Tracy would open up a scholarship for the 2015 class........hmmmm.......the sun always comes after the storm!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs