Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Is Josh Sweat Realistic?

buckfan38's picture
July 2, 2014 at 11:09pm
33 Comments

I know everybody is really excited after Hilliard and Cornell this morning and I know they said they would recruit Sweat but realistically how good is our shot with him? Does anyone know? 

teddyballgame's picture

Realistic for now.  He brought his family/closest friends with him to visit and everything went very well. 

Thing is, he's never going to be an easy read because he's a quiet type of person and keeps things to himself and his family...no social media. 

I'm thinking it's a longterm battle with FSU.

gumtape's picture

The Ohio State visit last week went very well for Sweat and his family and they're in the conversation. He's a different type of dude, though, very quiet and not interested in all the pomp and circumstance. If the Buckeyes want to land him, it's about what's best for his future and his trust in the coaching staff; being friends with other recruits won't matter much.

-Birm

Read everything Birm and you will find the knowledge that you seek.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/users/jeremy-birmingham

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+12 HS
305Buck's picture

From reading interviews done by multiple sites, I feel we have a real legit shot. This is what I gathered.

Him and his mom enjoyed the Ohio State visit very much. He loved the size of the campus, he loved the facilities, and he has a ton of respect for LJ, even going as far as to say "I would love to get coached by him." His relationship with LJ dates back to LJ days at Penn State. He won't take anymore visits this summer unless it's a return visit to Virginia Tech, and he will only take a few OV visits. He will decide in September whether he will enroll early or complete his senior season so he can be on the track team again. If he decides to enroll early, his decision will come at the end of football season. If he decides to stay for his senior season, he will announce at the UA game.

+11 HS
osu407's picture

It would be amazing if he enrolled early. He could very possibly start from day one if Spence goes to the NFL. 

+2 HS
theopulas's picture

thanks 305....you really should be on the pay-roll......

Theopulas

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

A defensive end that runs track?!  This must have been Urban's reaction.. SO MUCH SPEED

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

Could be shot put. Usually the bigger people do that. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
irishfury's picture

He did shot put, discuss and was the closer for the 4x100 relay team that had a 43.2 time.

+4 HS
allinosu's picture

Where ever he is going he is planning on enrolling early. As of right now we are a distant fourth. Va tech is considerable favorite and their big target. He know what he means to them. He does love LJ but as of now it won't be enough because he is comfortable with Va Tech's coaching staff. FSU has his attention also. Maybe a beat down in September would change things.

-1 HS
Hayze's picture

We're not fourth publicly. We may be privately but from all indications he doesn't really have an order. And if we are it certainly isn't distant.

Highly doubt he goes to FSU. He wants to stay closer to home than that. He's also not the type to care about one win. He wants comfort.

That's why Va Tech is the percieved leader, he's been there the most. But we have a good thing going with LJ (he loves him). If he decided today it would probably be Va Tech. But if (when) we get an official we'll be right up there.

Georgia is the biggest threat to us or Va Tech, IMO.

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Matter of opinion. He was recruited by LJ while he was at PSU and some of that love is possibly being nice. He has said her is closest to VA staff and lives them also. He doesn't like our QB situation for next year which we share with FSU because he feels Winston will move on also. When you get away from our sites 6% chance keeps showing up for us which is distant. S Carolina is becoming bigger and bigger because how much he was into Clowney.

-4 HS
Woodshed's picture

Are you saying sweat doesn't like osu's qb situation? How does that make any sense?

Also where did you hear that? I read pretty much everything out there and have never heard that. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have EVER heard a DL recruit mention the qb situation at a potential school as an issue with said school.

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

It sounds like you overestimated all your reading because it only took me 10 mins to find it on a SI site. At this point he IS going to Va Tech but it could change if he becomes the #1 2015 recruit which would mean S Carolina, becomes a bigger player because they are close to home. His father family are a lot more involved than most and consider everything. Things such as playing time for non starters and if the future looks bright for NC which includes QB. I never said we are out of it but it is a stretch and LJ does help.

-6 HS
305Buck's picture

Lol VT isn't winning a NC anytime soon, neither is SC or Georgia. If what you say is true about him wanting a good chance to start and win a NC, then Ohio State would far and away be his #1. Not only will Spence be gone after this year, but we have a much, much better chance than SC, Georgia and VT at winning a Natty during his 3 or 4 years in school.

+5 HS
allinosu's picture

No Alabama would. You under estimate a S Carolina that beat a Clemson that we couldn't pretty handily. They are a major player in college football and if we would play tomorrow most would pick them so I don't understand your logic. The only reason we have a better chance for a nc is because they would have to go through Alabama or Lsu. First we must prove we can win it all.

-4 HS
305Buck's picture

Dude South Carolina hasn't even won the SEC in the last 3 years (their best 3 years). What makes you think they will win it anytime soon? Missouri went into the SEC and won the East in their first year, something SC can't accomplish, let alone win a Natty.

Ohio State lost to Clemson because of our defense, the Clemson game was the first game in Ohio State history that we lost when scoring 35 or more points. That tells you all you need to know.

+6 HS
allinosu's picture

What have we won. You are running down a team that has beat us every time we played them. S Carolina 31 Clemson17 is what you need to think about. If you were a recruit from Virginia, What about OSU makes them so superior? At his age he would remember the beat downs we got from the SEC. You have to realize where he is from we are not so special. I hope you are right and we can get him because he is special but there are many good offers for him.

-6 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

With all due respect (not sure if there is any), you sir, are a moron. We've played Clemson twice, TWICE, with half a century almost in between the match ups, and you say going 0-2 in those games when South Carolina has a better record against them means that Sweat likes them more? And that he doesn't like our QB situation..? What? 

Also, he's from Virginia. We have a lot of respect in that state. You are an absolute idiot.

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

I'm the moron when you can read. I said we are not the big fish in Virginia. There is more respect for Carolina and we are 0-4 with them and Clemson. They are a big fish in a superior league. I've read in the last month a half dozen article around the country that our QB situation COULD affect out recruiting this year. That doesn't appear to be so but it is out there. Sweats family is said to be considering everything including distance. Sweat himself said he is closer to Va Tech than anyone. Look at the must get's for the sec and sweat is the one player we are not listed for out 5 schools. If you set were we are sitting we are inline for everyone but no so elsewhere. Like I said before, I hope we can reel him in. If you can't call someone a moron to their face you then shouldn't unless you are a coward.

-6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

You under estimate a S Carolina that beat a Clemson that we couldn't pretty handily.

South Carolina was at home. Ohio State wasn't. Ohio State was also missing Spence, Roby, and Bryant.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
OSUlewis's picture

Why would South Carolina become a bigger player if Sweat moves up from the #2 2015 recruit to the #1?

+4 HS
305Buck's picture

I'm guessing because Clowney was the #1 player and Sweat is supposedly enamored with the possibility of being the next Clowney. This discussion isn't even worth talking about if Sweat doesn't visit SC before the end of the summer, which it doesn't look like he will do unless his mom has a change of heart.

+4 HS
305Buck's picture

Besides Clowney, who would have been a beast no matter where he went, who has South Carolina's defensive line coach put into the NFL in the 1st round?

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I think Mizzu might have only won 2 sec games their first year. They did win it their second year. Point is valid either way. The sec east is weak and I cant remember the last time USCe has won it.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

This would be a huge get if Urban get reel another big fish in.

+1 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

The Big Fish are biting...It's Urban on the Line!

(insert realistic reeling noises here)

"Hey look guys! It's a Boooom fish!"

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+2 HS
NatiBuck's picture

I think Ohio State has a realistic chance at anyone they want

+5 HS

I've heard he is kind of cyborgish and might put up robotic type stats but I think he is not only realistic looking,I think he might be full human.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS

The real question is. Is this guy realistic?

+4 HS
Woodshed's picture

So in summary, sweat will only be interested in SC if he becomes the #1 recruit in the country, South Carolina is awesome because they beat clemson and OSU didn't, sweat is worried about the QB situation at OSU but not at VT, UGA, or SC, and OSU is nothing special to kids from VA.

Did I cover all of the great points made ITT?

+7 HS
KingsRite's picture

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-