Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Best defensive recruiting class ever?

305Buck's picture
June 30, 2014 at 5:12pm
61 Comments

A guy on Bucknuts posted this question and I wanted to get feedback from some of you guys over here on this subject.

I'm going to add on to his question. If Ohio State landed Baker, Cornell, and Hilliard within the next couple of weeks, then finished this class off with Sweat, Wilkins, Gallimore, and Roundtree, would this be Ohio State's best defensive recruiting class ever?

DL- Jones, Gallimore, Wilkins, Cornell, Sweat
LB- Hilliard, Connor, Baker
DB- Ward, Green, Roundtree, Dean

This is strictly based on recruiting rankings and not production on the field. I haven't been following recruiting as long as some of you guys have, so I wanted to see what some of you thought about this.

Would love for the staff to chime in as well if they can.

Seattle Linga's picture

Funny how the last few years the downfall and weakness has been the defense. Urban looks to be changing things fast and furious with 5* recruits that are all about the TEAM first. Can't wait to watch the Glenville kids come into their own.

+5 HS
rosycheeks's picture

What? Is Everett Withers on here DV'ing?

+5 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I think you put Green's name twice instead of including Dean. Also, are you assuming Glover-Williams will play offense or will not be in the class period?

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

305Buck's picture

Just saw that, but yeah I meant Dean, and I believe that EGW will play offense. Kid is too dynamic with the ball in his hands.

+1 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

Roundtree? Roundtree? We talkin about Roundtree???  Im hoping you know something I dont.

+1 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

He's definitely not "out of the picture" yet brotha. Believe in Urban!

Edit: I have no clue why this was downvoted

305Buck's picture

Some speculate that Ohio State is running 2nd behind UGA but I wouldn't be surprised if Meyer stole him from UGA. The kid has serious concerns about the amount of players that gets arrested and kicked off the team at UGA, and with Kwon, Bell and Collier etc. in his ear from Georgia, it's looking good so far for the Buckeyes.  

+2 HS
almurray10's picture

Definitely has the potential to be - on paper, of course.

Honestly, the thing I am most excited for is the possibility of signing 3 Ohio boys at linebacker. That plus last year's haul could lead to some truly special defenses for the scarlet and gray in the next few years.

+1 HS
JDunc686's picture

Might be fun to compare to the 2013 class on defense

DL: Bosa, M. Hill, Munger, Price (DT at time), Sprinkle and Lewis

LB: Trey Johnson, Mike Mitchell, Christopher Worley

DB: Vonn Bell, Apple, Conley, Burrows, Jayme Thompson, D. Lee (S at time)

+3 HS
305Buck's picture

I think if you compare the 2013 defensive class, with this hypothetical 2015 defensive class, then the 2015 defensive class would be better. I give the edge at secondary to the 2013 class, but the front 7 for the 2015 class would be so elite.

CC's picture

I think Bosa is the best dlineman in both classes and I think the 2013 2ndary is better.  

theopulas's picture

think sweat would clearly be the best d-linemen

Theopulas

CC's picture

I disagree.  Bosa was from arguably the best high school football team in the country, he was the best player on the team, his competition was national and he completely dominated every game I watched.

Oh and he is 6'6 270 and started his video with a backflip.  Sweat may be higher ranked according to some but Bosa was still a top 50 player in the country and clearly lived up to the hype (which I understand isn't really part of this discussion).

In the end there is almost no way Sweat has a better freshman season than Bosa.  Best case scenario he has an equally good season.

+1 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

On paper Sweat is better. On the other hand, it's hard to believe that Sweat would be able to top 7.5 sacks as a true freshman. 

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

305Buck's picture

That's not hard to believe imo. Sweat is looking to enroll early, let's say he does enroll early and Spence goes pro. Now you have Sweat. Holmes and Lewis battling all spring and summer for the starting WDE spot. Sweat standing at 6'5 and weighing 237 pounds will be big enough to play as soon as he gets on campus. Now just imagine how he will look after Coach Mick has had his hands on him for 5 to 6 months before the season starts. This kid could be up to 245 pounds before the season starts which is right around where Spence is right now as a Junior. Also, Bosa will be commanding a lot of double teams opening the door for Washington and Sweat to do damage next season. So him reaching 7.5 sacks as a Freshman isn't out of the question, especially if our secondary gives the defensive line time to reach the QB.

CC's picture

On what paper?

-1 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

Paper meaning rankings coming out of high school. 

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

TheBadOwl's picture

2014 class:

DL: Jalyn Holmes, Dylan Thompson, Darius Slade

LB: Raekwon McMillan, Dante Booker, Kyle Berger, Sam Hubbard (at the time)

DB: Marshon Lattimore, Damon Webb, Erick Smith, Malik Hooker

Pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

Not gonna lie those guys look real good on paper, but then again so did 5* Curtis Grant.

+8 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

And 5* Mike D'Andre...and 5* Dorian Bell...

I think that what is impressive is how well rounded this class has the potential to be, much like last year's...and the year before. They are building something very special in Columbus.

I know most view it as a slight, but I viewed it as a backhanded compliment when it was alleged that Meyer and Franklin were building the "SEC North." I'd certainly love 7 straight titles...

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I know most view it as a slight, but I viewed it as a backhanded compliment when it was alleged that Meyer and Franklin were building the "SEC North."

It's a good thing Bert left the B1G when he did. He don't like the SEC.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

James Laurinitis, AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter---3*

irishfury's picture

I think Grant looked good last year.  Hope he can stay healthy. 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I'll buy.

At least since I've truly paid attention to recruiting (coincides with the start date of my 11W membership).

The recent defensive woes are soon to become a thing of the past.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Double turds.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Cornell has been unblockable at every camp for the past 2 years, he's seeing the field and seeing it fast.  With Hilliard, he blows up OT to get to the ball carrier, reminds me alot of Jaylon Smith from ND in physique and how he plays the game.  I cannot wait to see these players take the field with what Urban's recruited the last few years.  14-15 classes are going to tear *hit up.

KBonay's picture

Sigh...Buckeye problems....

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Yup...

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Sweat, Cornell, Jones, Wilkins, and Gallimore would most likely be one of the greatest pulls for a D-line class in a long time for any school. That is a hell of a lot of talent, honestly unreal.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Yup, and it would assure us fans that our defensive line will continue to be dominant in the future. With Spence, Bosa, Washington, Miller, Frazier and Bennett all leaving within the next 2 years, and Marcus not being on the team anymore, this needs to be the year that we load up on defensive linemen. Especially since we only took 3 last class.

Seattle Linga's picture

Teams will be so frustrated when they see our name on their schedule

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Teams will be so frustrated terrified when they see our name on their schedule

Fixed that for ya!!

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks brother - every once in awhile one slips through the cracks

+1 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

Do you really think we will take 2 true DTs in this class and 5 linemen overall? Even if we take 20 kids in the class, those 5 would make up a fourth of it. I think we'll probably take 1 true DT, with Cornell seemingly having the ability to grow into a DT, and hopefully it will be either Wilkins or Gallimore.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

305Buck's picture

While I don't believe we land both Gallimore and Wilkins, no way does Urban turn down one of them if both want in.

2002osubuck's picture

I think the 2014 class might end up being incredible. Webb, Smith, Lattimore, Hooker, McMillan, Booker, Berger, Holmes, Thompson and Slade are an awesome group. I'm excited to see all this talent playing together. 

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

I think the group could have had the edge, but moving Hubbard to offense messed it up.

DL- Slade, Thompson, Holmes
LB- Hubbard, Berger, McMillan, Booker
DB- Webb, Smith, Hooker, Lattimore

I give this group the edge at DB, and LB would have been there's as well if Hubbard wasn't moved to TE. But the 2015 defensive line could be light years better. That's not to make it seem like Slade, Holmes and Thompson are slouches because they aren't, but we have the chance to land 4 top 50 defensive linemen in Wilkins, Gallimore, Cornell and Sweat. Cornell and Sweat are 5 stars, and Gallimore is a borderline 5 star.

lljjgg's picture

Craziest thing about the 2014 class is that you have all that talent already, and they were also in the top 2-3 for Peppers (5*), Solomon Thomas (5*), and Tony Brown (5*) at certain points in the year. Still an amazing class and I have no complaints, add those three though and it becomes legendary. Hopefully it'll already be legendary haha.

crusher's picture

I don't think there is any way they could take all of those guys. That put us at 17 and that doesn't include Harris, LJ, Kirk, Daniels, Burrell or any other WR. Not enough room for all of those guys. A few guys are going to be on the outside looking in.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

305Buck's picture

I have been saying for a while that I don't see Scott in this class if Harris is in this class. While Harris says it wouldn't bother that much if another RB was in the same class as him, he prefers to be the only RB in a class.

Also, Scott did an interview with Bucknuts a while back saying that no matter what school he picks this month, he's likely to flip to whichever school his brother commits to. So if he commits to Ohio State, then his brother gets offered by MSU or West Virginia and commits to one of them, then we can kiss Scott goodbye.

I also don't see Daniels in this class since there's much more offensive linemen ranked higher than him still left.

OSU069's picture

So what's the point of him even committing  this month then?

305Buck's picture

I'm guessing he just wants to get the process over with for now. I also don't think its a coincidence that Scott is supposed to be deciding in early July, and all of a sudden Harris timeline moves up to possibly within the next week or two.

OSU069's picture

So do you think we are only taking 1 RB this class?

305Buck's picture

That may be the case, along with a Nyheim Hines type of player. But if Harris is ok with another RB in this class, then Scott could definitely be in this class.

Jbuckham94's picture

It will certainly be interesting if he does move it up.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

buckeyedude's picture

You expect me to add up all of those stars, 305? I'm a college dropout.

+2 HS
buckskin's picture

Boy, what a difference a month makes in recruiting. Hope now springs eternal.

BoFuquel's picture

NO: 1967, or don't you remember. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

Absolutely, they couldn't play as freshman but the next year 16 of the 22 starters were that class with 6 defensive players ending up in the college football hall of fame. Three losses in three years and a national championship. Hard to beat.

Osubuckiii's picture

That would be a nice class definitely but will never happen.  There are not enough scholarships available for those who have committed, those who are being purseued aggressively (Scott, Harris, etc), and those mentioned in the post.  I suspect the remaining scholarships will go to Hilliard, Cornell, Baker, Scott, Harris, and another DL.  That would put us at 16 which would be higher that what they were planning for.

305Buck's picture

This class will end with 20-22 players in it, not 16. 16 is the number of scholarship seniors on the roster right now, but natural attrition and early draft entrees will put that number up to at least 20.

Osubuckiii's picture

The latest count I recall is that there are only 13 seniors on scholarship.  I added a few for attrition that's where 15 or 16 came from.  I get the feeling they will not over commit scholarships this year.  Who knows what will happen....I will leave that to the folks getting paid the big bucks.

Groveport Heisman's picture

We get 3 scholarships back from tattgate.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

GABuckeye's picture

13 seniors + 3 scholarships to get us to 85.  That's the 16 he's referring to.

He said adding attrition got him to 15-16

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

305Buck's picture

I think GABuck was responding to the guy above you.

Shit thats my bad. I was trying to help out and wind up getting confused.

mh277907's picture

Not to be a downer, but let's land Hilliard, Cornell and Baker first before we begin talking "best defensive class ever." If the next week goes as planned, then, yes, we can start having the conversation.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
Gametime's picture

It appears that Urban and company handled everything differently this year and to be frank I love the approach. It seemed that we've always just been missing out on those top-3 types, while still snagging the top-10 types. I also love how each class, Urban has aggressively addressed each position of need and "Urbanized" adding athleticism, speed, & depth.

It seems next year, the focus will be on the OL w/ all the instate talent and then that'll give us a complete Urbanized recruiting cycle.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

BAR43's picture

I am not sure I have ever cared about or said "wow I remember that recruiting class". You always speak of great teams on the field, like the defenses in 95-96, or the national champ team, etc. Yes, recruiting gets you to that point, but its the production on the field that matters, not the projected ability of a recruiting class. I hope to say this is one of the best defense in OSU history, but it will be collection of classes as a team, not just one class.

+1 HS
tussey's picture

Shouldn't we wait until signing day to do these comparisons?

+1 HS