Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Justin Hilliard Tid Bit

How_Firm_Thy_Friendship's picture
June 30, 2014 at 1:05pm
78 Comments

I posted this tweet the same day Justin Hilliard was taking his visit with ND and during the time of his visit he Favorited my tweet. Seeds Planted by How_Firm_Thy_Friendship. Always keeping TOSU in his mind! hahahah Just wanted to share. Plus its a cool ass picture.  

rosycheeks's picture

I knew the day would come when people would tweet recruits and start multiple threads about the same recruit. I just didn't think it would come this soon.

+23 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Nothing against u sir!! I've seen are fellow Buckeyes on here! Hope you don't get killed for this post!! Lol

Gooz-fra-bah...

+4 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Did we use this same picture for Kwon?

+2 HS
sharks's picture

They've used that pic for about 10 recruits.

Sponsored by Riddell.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+6 HS

idc lol i just thought it was a cool pic. Just excited to see this class come together.! GO BUCKS!

O-H-I-O

-4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Don't tweet recruits. Ever. Creeper. 

+41 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Not knowing this dude I can't agree entirely. I'm 26 and should never tweet a recruit (I don't even have a Twitter) unless I find their wallet and have no other way to get in contact with them other than Twitter. 

This dude may very well be a peer of his, in which case it isn't creepy automatically. To me this tweet seems harmless enough, and a long long ways away from making the top 100 creepiest tweets likely sent to recruits this week.

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

He is not the only one. I read other buckeye fans tweeting Hilliard this morning. Let's hope no damage was done. Creepy.

+2 HS

Considering we are both the same age. I doubt its creepy. lol

O-H-I-O

-2 HS
Brutus' Left Nut's picture

Please make sure to post a picture of your license with the tweet so he knows you are the same age.  Actually, please use an attractive girl's license of your age (instead of your license) so he actually is persuaded by the tweet.

+16 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

If he's persuaded by a guy posing as a pretty girl on the web, he belongs at Notre Dame.

Something tells me Hilliard is way too smart to fall for that though, hence why he'll fit in well with the good guys.

+47 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Wow, CTBuckeyefan. You just won the internets.

I really wish our fans would use a little self-control.

-1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+8 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

He favorited your tweet. Cool story, bro. This thread is stupid.

+35 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+6 HS
Gametime's picture

You guys need to chill. This is a Twitter/Google society now. Everyone puts themselves in position to have instant access to everyone and everything. The guy's just excited that a potential future OSU star favorited his tweet. He didn't do anything to be labeled a "creeper" or something disparaging reflecting our fan base or the university.

Let em Live.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+25 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I see a lot of people here talking shit about Twitter and saying that it's dumb and everyone on it sucks. Well hey, first of all, everyone everywhere sucks. Twitter rocks. It's like Facebook but without my parents, and I'm not swarmed with stupid Buzzfeed articles and people who think it's great to be defined by their political opinions. And grandparents who use caps lock.

I don't tweet at recruits, but if you're the same age as a recruit, I don't have a problem with it.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Agreed!

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+7 HS
elffir's picture

I don't get the "if you're the same age, it's OK" argument.  If you're tweeting to a recruit because he's a recruit, then you're not just being a peer. It's not "kids to kids"; it's [over] zealous fan to recruit. What does age have to do with it?

+8 HS
clogan1032's picture

How do you reconcile that statement with when a recruit or player asks people of twitter to follow his boy?  Is that only for atheletes?  Also, how much information comes from twitter that we all enjoy?  Seems shortsighted to broad stroke all things on twitter as bad and shouldn't be done. Dat foosball is for da devil!

+2 HS
elffir's picture

What statement? Maybe you really didn't mean this as a reply to my comment.  I said nothing about twitter being evil.  I was only commenting on the several posts that suggest that the difference between good and not-good recruit tweeting is in the age of the tweeter.

Citrus's picture

HAHA @ "grandparents that use cap lock."

My grandma is on FB. Her favorite pastime is finding unflattering photos of me, adding sparkles, jesus/butterflies/elvis and reposting.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I see a lot of people here talking shit about Twitter and saying that it's dumb and everyone on it sucks. Well hey, first of all, everyone everywhere sucks. Twitter rocks. It's like Facebook but without my parents, and I'm not swarmed with stupid Buzzfeed articles and people who think it's great to be defined by their political opinions. And grandparents who use caps lock.

I don't tweet at recruits, but if you're the same age as a recruit, I don't have a problem with it.

EDIT: Keeping this because Poison Nuts's comment was hilarious, but goddamn double posts, man...

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Disagreed!

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+7 HS
808buckeye's picture

I second that. Twitter is lame. And saying that I have to tweet at somebody is unbelievably lame

seize the carpe

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Thanks Badowl - I've seen all the double posts that have happened lately & figured I'd a little fun with it...

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Agreed. If you don't like it, don't read the thread. Getting sick of people on this site thinking they are THE social conscience of Buckeye Nation.   You don't tweet to recruits?  Well woopty freakin doo!  Neither do the majority of us. If the recruits didn't want tweets, wouldn't they make their account private?

+6 HS
bodast67's picture

Here's a random GIF for everyone's viewing pleasure...

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+7 HS
blocko330's picture

Thank you Gametime - took the words right out of my mouth.... there wasn't anything weird/creepy/unacceptable about that.. the only people DV'n or against this are either 30+ years of age or fell in love with that recent post about etiquette .. Come on people if you REALLY believe these recruits are basing their decision on what fans think then...then...I honestly don't know what to say.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I'm neither 30+ nor in love with the recent article. Social media is social by definition. That requires it to be a two-way conversation. If Hilliard isn't tweeting at you, you're just a creeper idolizing some high school kid. The same goes for tweeting celebrities or pro athletes. It's just lame. 

+12 HS
blocko330's picture

So celebrities and pro athletes signed up for Twitter to spend all their spare time to talk to other individuals on twitter to potentially engage in a two-way conversation??  You're right people should never tweet at a person they follow unless that person engages first....Hmmmmmm guess I'll just wait around for B. Miller and AJ Hawk to see how my day is going so I can let them know how big of a fan I am....can I get a MN Countdown Come On Man!!!!

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

In my day to day life, I don't talk to people that don't talk back. I don't see why Twitter would be any different. 

+4 HS
awarren84's picture

He posted a picture and Hilliard favorited it...does this qualify as a 2 way social media experience?

"Anything less than flagrant is just playing grab ass!"

+2 HS
blocko330's picture

Not according to Brandon

- TruthTeller

+2 HS
blocko330's picture

So you don't engage in conversation, you don't spark a conversation - you just wait...and wait...and wait... nothing wrong with that.

- TruthTeller

+3 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Paging Ramzy.........

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+7 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Seriously agreed!

+3 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

I don't know How Firm but I don't have a problem at all with younger Buckeyes tweeting recruits. Whether the older fans agree with it or not, this is what our young people do. Noone wants to see a recruit get trolled via twitter but I don't think I can fault an 18, 19 or even a 20 yr old for simply tweeting a recruit. They are, after all, their peers... it's just kids talking to kids. I'm 44 and every time I've seen this crop up my mind automatically goes to someone like me tweeting, which would be just creepy. I should consider that that isn't always the case....

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I see the smoke...

Hopefully we can maintain some order here, I think the riot gear is getting cleaned up.

For the record, while I would not have done so (I don't Twitter, not my bag), I don't think there was any malice in HFTF's Tweet. I can appreciate the enthusiasm, but not everyone may interpret the message that way.

An absolute no-no to Tweet at a recruit, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to even Tweet ABOUT a recruit. But that's just me and that golden rule thing and all.

Once it's out there, it's out there.

Hate Week runneth over

+8 HS
sharks's picture

Oh, you young people use twitter and us old folks need to get with the times?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+11 HS
lljjgg's picture

By the way, every time a fan tweets at a recruit that fan is committing an NCAA violation.

From the Ramzy article OSU07ASU10 linked. Keep in mind that when you tweet at recruits, you could be adding to OSU's list of NCAA violations, and you could potentially be hurting the team you love.

+5 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

that logic is ridiculous to begin with. The NCAA won't be able to use that against anyone. and they are currently not violating anyone because they are getting gang raped by lawsuits and O'bannon.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+6 HS
ronbizi's picture

And soon the Big Ten, and every other power conference.  Their ridiculous rules and regulations are about to implode.

Squirrel Master's picture

Listen folks, there is a difference between including a recruit in a tweet that has a picture of them in it that was obviously done by someone else, and...

sending the recruit a direct tweet trying to be a friend, ask if they will commit to said program and wanting to have their man on man babies!

This is far from what Ramzy and others have pointed out. The kid was just excited that a recruit liked his post, just like many of us were excited when Meechy communicated with us on here. He didn't seek out Hilliard and he didn't try to make his skin into a suit for the Apocalypse!

now if he followed it up with banter trying to be friends and sway Hilliard with "Please be a buckeye, I want you"...then we have an issue. I haven't checked, did he do that? (or she, we are all being assumptive)

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+7 HS
OSUClub_Baseball27's picture

I don't think people need to get so up in arms over this. Yes, there are compelling arguments for both sides whether it's good to tweet at a recruit or bad to tweet at a recruit.

I think there is a fine line on what someone chooses to tweet at a recruit. If it's "Good luck making a decision" or "Ohio State would love to have you", I have no problem with it. A lot of the recruits like that sort of thing. But the few creepy messages from certain fans are what I think most people on here fear over. I'm the same way, I cringe when I see something like that (Negative Recruiting).

At the end of the day, the OP is just a kid who was excited over a recruit who favorited his tweet. What he tweeted was completely in bounds and was not disparaging at all. No need to talk down to a kid like that; we all have our faults.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Directly to the recruit = Creep shit/NCAA violation

Posting a pic of 1 of the biggest tOSU recruits in a OSU jersey while he is on a ND visit ='s Awesomeness

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+7 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Look, I think it's a pretty grey area. My objection to the practice is not so much a college or high school age kid tweeting a recruit who is around the same age. My objection is grown ass men and women tweeting a 16-18 year old kid, talking about their dreams of him playing for them, and customizing their own pics, and begging him to play for their school. 

Ultimately, some of it is up to the recruit. They can lay off Twitter, or simply block the creepers. However, it does not mean that those of us who are adults (and especially those who have kids of their own) have carte blanche to stalk these kids and tweet them incessantly, then do cartwheels if they follow us or retweet or favorite anything we say.

I'll be honest, in that I do sometimes search for these recruits and check out what others may be saying, and even if they're mentioned, because I am WAY TOO into college football and college football recruiting. However, I never have, and never will tweet a recruit.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+2 HS
BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+2 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture

2 years ago, Eze tweeted about being worthless or something like that. I told him he's a hard worker who earns his way. He said thanks. I was just as excited as this dude is for a minute, I was 18. I haven't tweeted at a recruit since. I don't even follow thwm anymore, I hate having a crowded twitter feed and keep my follows to a minimum. Since then, I've gained some common sense and realized that we're interfering in people's personal lives and that's just odd to me anymore. But I've also learned the value of having my own opinion. Some of you are so quick to call this kid an asshole or tell him how stupid he is just because Ramzy's article. I think his article was more for the purpose of asking people to have some common sense, and wasn't meant to be used as the universal guidlines by wich we judge/criticize people. So have common sense and leave this kid alone. I'm pretty sure he's already figured out it's generally frowned upon to tweet at recruits by this point.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, & Michigan still sucks

+2 HS
thowen79's picture

So let me get this straight.... you can have a forum saying all kinds of creepy things about a recruit (Nick Bosa) and it gets UV's galore, but if you tweet a recruit who is the same age and who has willingly put himself in that position, it's considered creepy and not in good taste??? .....makes sense

+6 HS

So you do not see the difference between a group of men sitting around chatting about how hot Jennifer Lawrence is and a guy directly contacting her over and over letting her know his feelings? They are minors and have eligibility at stake also.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

While that would be a good correlation if he was tweeting him to tell him how hot he thought he was and telling him he wanted to be with him. This is a little different don't ya think?

-2 HS

I mean it is different for sure but a 35 year old man sitting in his trailer telling recruits how boss their skills are and how they would love to have them at Tennessee seems pretty similar in my mind. I was just referring there is a whole  different line between talking about someone on a open forum and actually directing that talk to the person via a direct source wither it be email,facebook,twitter,myspace,instagram,facetime or whatever. The line is not contacting that "kid" directly. I  see no problem at all with similar aged kids chatting however they like. I think maybe guys already graduated from college should refrain from contacting high school kids in any capacity.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I thought both were creepy, if it helps

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+1 HS
KBonay's picture
+7 HS
KBonay's picture

Hopefully they have no problem finding that Buckeye hat in Cincinnati.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Any chance we can come together as a fan base and buy every available ND hat?

+9 HS
Crimson's picture

No.  We have morals and will not touch a ND hat.

+6 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I agree, Crimson. Don't financially support ND by buying their merchandise. Just bury any of the ND hats under a bunch of OSU ones. That'll fix 'em.

PittBuckeye's picture

So you're saying we need to get someone on hacking his families credit card records around that time to find out what they buy? I might know a guy.

Hayze's picture

They're just trying to draw up suspense.

I just saw an interview with Hilliard on Bleacher Report where he clearly states that he has already decided.

Wow I really dont like the wording on picking the school as a family. If Jashon and Justin already know where they are going what is this family process going to be like? I know the Hilliards are big on education I also know if it was up to them solely Justin would be a ND lock. Now I cant speculate how freely they let him make big independent decisions or anything of that sort but that tweet leads you to believe he hasnt even decided yet. Just food for thought but I still think both are Buckeyes and will be solid leaders for this class.

Hayze's picture

How do you know this?

There's rumors that Justin's dad in fact has a better relationship with Urban than with Kelly.

+2 HS

i just thought it was a cool thing OSU was voted LBU. The picture is a cool picture. I didnt write him anything. I just @ him. No big deal. Writing something person to him in a PM is one thing but just sending a tweet is another. We are all OSU fans here why cant we just get along and root for the same cause! I love the Buckeyes and following the recruits. Its part of the game now! A lot of the recruits want to play for a fan base that will support them and cheer for them. Showing love on twitter is just part of the social media storm that is part of college football recruiting. Everyone just relax and go bucks!

O-H-I-O

+6 HS
Fatpants's picture

Ahhhhh the offseason....

+2 HS
Nutty's picture

So true. When we can't watch the team we can watch the fans. Entertaining to see the arguments about what you can say to recruits and how old or young you have to be to say them. So if I'm 19 it is OK to say come aboard but if I'm 30+ I can only say welcome aboard (and then still a little "creepy"). I guess anytime you have so many grown men preoccupied with teenagers it is bound to result in problems. If a highly rated 17 year old retweets or favorites me then I should let everyone know?

+2 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Agreed. While the recruiting stuff helps pass the time I am full on ready to see kids like bennett, bosa, and grant (2x) making wreckage already.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I think "creepy" has to be literally one of the most overused words in the English language. After "literally," of course.

I don't think what HowFirm did here was creepy, but it is a fine line. Just get here Wednesday.

I have a feeling threads like this one will eventually drive Ramzy to drink. A lot.

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

True story: Stephen Collier followed me for about a month. Once he realized how boring and social media-challenged I am, he unfollowed me. Can't say I blame him.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Well I am a similar age to Hilliard and I follow him on twitter. He actually followed me back a few weeks ago but I never tweet at him or anything. Is that creepy to you guys as well? It's called social media for a reason. If Justin didn't want any fans following him, he would have made his account private.

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

Came here to see if there were any Hilliard updates and most of the comments are about twitter. . . Really?

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

We have reached the coveted 'buying hats phase'

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

lol! I got needs and getting an 11W hat is one of them. Cant wait for Navy, but I hope tomorrow is a good distraction. 

I season my simple food with hunger

KBonay's picture
+1 HS