Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Jerome Baker announcement

ab1993's picture
June 29, 2014 at 6:37pm
96 Comments

Announces on July 11th

edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

+19 HS
lljjgg's picture

3 Top50 Buckeye commits in a week and a half span (i.e. starting Wed)? Could it really happen?

+1 HS
Murph32's picture

Spots are filling up. 

TraSmith4's picture

Larry Scott will be making his decision in July as well.

MAVBuck's picture

I'd say anyone who wants to play RB for OSU better start acting fast (no pun intended)

+2 HS
RenegadeBuckeye's picture

I thought Baker was being recruited as a LB.

+2 HS
MAVBuck's picture

Could be either or. Still up in the air.

Woodshed's picture

He is. Per mr. Baker, osu is recruiting him as a LB.

lljjgg's picture

Ran the 247 Class Calculator app out of curiosity. If Cornell, Hilliard and Baker commit to the Buckeyes (fingers crossed), it would bring OSU to the #4 consensus recruiting class in the country, with nearly 5 less commits than the 3 teams above them (and plenty of room to grow, depending upon how large the class ends up).

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

@jbook37: OSU could land Justin Hilliard, Jashon Cornell, Jerome Baker, & LJ Scott in July. According to 247 Calculator this class jumps to #6

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

I wouldn't question JBook, but I ran the calculation myself and with Cornell, Hilliard, and Baker OSU scores 239.95 (good for #4). With those three + LJ Scott they score OSU's class as a 249.35 (which is good for #3).

Unless JBook is predicting some of those other classes to jump up, which is plausible. But the current #3 (Clemson) only has 242 points, and #4 PSU has 238.22, so even without Scott OSU would jump over them. Of course this is all speculation anyway until they put pen to paper. Just hope I'm not causing a karmic shift by even projecting haha.

Edit: Re-ran it and got a number closer to JBook's. Disregard me haha, not sure why I'm getting different numbers each time I run it. Either way, OSU's class would skyrocket!

+2 HS
Hayze's picture

Sometimes the class calculator gets screwy and gives the team you're calculating doubles of all current commits.

That's probably what happened.

+2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Perhaps daniel giddens july 4th?

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Baker is the kid out of Ohio I think has the highest ceiling. Anyone know if we still lead and who our competition is?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

MAVBuck's picture

Florida & Tenn but sounds like we still look good

Youngbuck85's picture

Were about to get 3 huge prospects in the next few weeks... Atleast.... Looks like our recruiting struggles have officially ended

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Only thing that would make these next two weeks better, is if Hilliard, Cornell and Baker somehow convince Damien Harris to commit to Ohio State at The Opening, or FNL.

+6 HS
BroJim's picture

I had no idea he was close to making a decision, thanks! Anyway, if Baker is the number one guy in the state is there any reason why Hilliard seems to get much more attention? Thanks, 305.

I season my simple food with hunger

305Buck's picture

Baker is only #1 on Rivals. Rivals btw has Hilliard very underrated. While I like Baker, he isn't better than Hilliard.

BroJim's picture

Okay, thanks for clearning that up. Are there any other reasons. I mean he is still number 2. . . Is it staff priority? Hilliard being more open about his recruiting? Sorry if im a bother but thanks alot for your reply and all your posts.

Soggy_McMuffin's picture

It feels to me that Baker moved up to commit before FNL cause he knows we're Justin n Jashon are going!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

buckeyeguy0615's picture

Why doesn't he ever visit? I'm worried about that. I mean being in Ohio, you'd think he'd visit like a million times.

305Buck's picture

He barely visits any school, maybe he doesn't have the funds or transportation to do so.

Kid has been to Ohio State multiple times, Tennessee once, Florida once and he canceled his visit to Notre Dame.

He's all Buckeye. And he's planning on being at FNL along with Cornell and Hilliard.

+10 HS
AJBor41's picture

He visited UGA too, but didn't like it much at all. 

cdkmike's picture

This just keeps getting better. Go buckeyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael green

sharks's picture

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+13 HS
bucknut8's picture

Buckeye lock IMO. Getting Baker, Cornell & Hilliard all within a week or two is crazy. Because these 3 guys could be the leaders & top prospects in the class. Even though we are in on more highly recruited guys, these guys just seem to be all on the same page 

#Buckeyes

-1 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

If all three of dominoes fall the way that we're all hoping...it is gonna get crazy in Buckeye Nation!

PLEASE, PLEASE! 

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+9 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

As much as I despise gifs I had to shoot you the UV

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Why the gif hatred? I find it thoroughly entertaining.

+10 HS
lsjSnail's picture

They are all rehashed from Reddit and posted everywhere on the web. Get kinda old unless its in a commit thread :)

+1 HS
kgratz's picture

is baker going to the opening? 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Have a feeling Notre Dame will be Bakers choice. When was the last time he was at OSU?

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

When was the last time he was at Notre Dame?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+21 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

Haha beat me to it. 

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

+3 HS
Woodshed's picture

He cancelled his scheduled trip for the irish invasion event. Does that count?

+4 HS
BassDropper's picture

Sorry, I don't follow these kids every move like most of you do. Last I heard a couple of weeks ago was that Notre Dame had picked up some serious momentum...couple that in with the fact that he moved up his announcement date, you can see why I have some concern. 

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+25 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

I was actually asking when was the last time he was at Notre Dame, I hadn't ever heard of him making a visit there. I figured I must have just missed it. 

+4 HS

Sorry, I don't follow these kids every move like most of you do. Last I heard a couple of weeks ago was that Notre Dame had picked up some serious momentum...couple that in with the fact that he moved up his announcement date, you can see why I have some concern. 

It was a legit question. I go to irishenvy(it's the ND version of Mgo), every so often, and haven't read anything about him visiting South Bend.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

When was the last time he was at Notre Dame?

+2 HS
OH_IO's picture

They see me (t)rolling, they hating...

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

+10 HS
BassDropper's picture

It's hilarious how butthurt you guys get over a differing opinion. 

DIRECTIONER

-11 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

BassDropper is a magnet for DVs...must be his choice of bands...or maybe it's the hat.

No, pretty sure it's the music.

+8 HS
irishfury's picture

Do you even read what you write before you hit save?  You first make a incorrect assumption that a simple google query could have answered.  Then you insult people on a recruiting forum for following recruiting more then you do.  Odd.

+6 HS
BassDropper's picture

where did I make an incorrect assumption? I said "I have a feeling it's Notre Dame." Its not incorrect until he announces. Can you tell me how I could have googled that to get my answer? Or are you making an incorrect assumption that I thought he visited Notre Dame? If I had to put odds on where Baker ends up I'd say 65-35 Ohio State, just because he keeps his recruitment so quiet.I swear there was a post on here last week or the week before saying that Baker was giving Notre Dame more consideration than anyone thought.

11w isn't a recruiting forum, it's an Ohio State football forum. I follow recruiting closer than the average fan, but y'all take it way too far tweeting and following these kids every move. 

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I didn't even know Notre Dame was in the picture. I thought it was an Ohio State/Penn State battle. I read maybe somewhere that Penn State was the school he followed growing up. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

305Buck's picture

Penn State was his childhood favorite, but Ohio State was right up there with them. He has a family full of Buckeyes. But Penn State was never under serious consideration by him. He has always stated that it was Ohio State, Tennessee and Florida at the top. He recently said that Florida State and Notre Dame were the two schools right behind those 3.

+1 HS
AJBor41's picture

PSU was definitely in contention for a long time. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

Wow, tough crowd.

Seattle Linga's picture

Keep it up Bass and you'll be batting below the Mendoza Line.

FWIW - I did not DV you once.

+1 HS
BlueBayou's picture

FWIW - I did not DV you once.

Are you secretly saying you downvoted Bass multiple times, i.e.  more than once?

+10 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Too funny and well played Blue 

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Well if Bass thinks Baker is going to ND that makes him pretty much a lock for anywhere but South Bend. Guess its looking good for the good guys.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+19 HS
BassDropper's picture

Yep, like I have stated for months that Gibson would not be a Buckeye. The reception I got to that was worse than this one, but only recently have you guys started to see what I have saw for months. 

Like I said, Ohio State is still the favorite to land Baker, but with the ND news I heard about last week it made me skeptical. 

It sucks that I can't even post an opinion on the best Ohio State website without getting called an idiot or any other names. This website has made me embarrassed to be a Buckeyes fan with how delusional most of you people are. If you read the Confessions story by the staff, you would know that Im not the only one that feels this way.

DIRECTIONER

+12 HS
BroJim's picture

"It sucks that I can't even post an opinion on the best Ohio State website without getting called an idiot or any other names" I agree.

+6 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Except no one called him an idiot or anything else. 

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

I think he is speaking of his experience on the site overall.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

I am, and thanks for having my back Bro. 

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Have an upvote Bass. There is definitely a segment of users here who have trouble taking off the scarlet glasses even for a second.  I remember when saying anything critical about Gibson would get you downvoted.  It's like they think he's going to read the comments and base his decision off that or something.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

It's funny because in "real life" my friends say that I am the biggest Buckeye homer and always have my S&G glasses on, but man, they haven't seen anything.

DIRECTIONER

+7 HS
rampageripster's picture

I have no problem with a differing opinion, but your reason was wacky.  You said "when has he last been to OSU" and that was your reason for picking ND when no one can even find the last time he was in South Bend.  If you had said UT or UF then maybe your reasoning would be more logical. Instead you made yet another prediction purely to be a contrarian and then acted a victim when people called you on it.  Get over yourself.

Cause I couldn't go for three

+7 HS
BassDropper's picture

No, my reasoning wasn't "when was the last time he visited OSU?" That was a legitimate question that nobody answered. I was honestly just curious. You hear about Justin Hilliard and Damien Harris visiting a bunch over the last month or 2, but I can't remember the last time I heard that Baker was on campus...maybe Im just not following close enough, which led to me asking that question. You can believe whatever you want, but honest to god I was not trying to be a contrarian or a troll.

DIRECTIONER

+10 HS
allinosu's picture

Look Bass it happens. You're telling them stuff that shoots down their hopes. Last spring when nobody was talking Hilliard to ND I went looking because of the history of catholic school athletes' going to ND and found a lot of interest in ND for Hiiliard and his family. So much that I posted "Hilliard was going to be a hard pull from Notre dame. I got hammered and got dv'd into oblivion. On top of that I got BIRMED and they loved it. Look how that turned out. It happens and I still do it. I also got the same thing when I said Gibson was Tenn to lose when our interest was peaked. BIRMED,DV and called a troll. Now Gibson says he wants to visit us and it will start all over again. I gave you some uv's.

Citrus's picture

We are continuously getting new batches of folks to the site that don't understand DV policy. I threw you some love. 

When someone commits, then we can have an orgy of gifs in celebration. Prior to that, to the extent that we are prognosticating, there will be disagreement. Bass brought up some good points, disagree all you'd like but he did nothing to earn a single dv. 

DVs are not for differences of opinion. They are not for comments you disagree with or dislike. DVs are for trolling. 

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Bass, you get way too many unfair DV's. I'll get you UV's anytime I can to offset them. Nothing you've said in this thread deserves any downvotes, let alone the amount you've received. Voting privelages are getting abused pretty regularly lately. 

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Baker is not going to ND !

Gooz-fra-bah...

+2 HS
BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+16 HS
crusher's picture

Up vote for Ron Paul anytime

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I'm not getting my hopes up for any of this until after July 2. I'm optimistic, but just not sold yet. The only thing that gives me pause is ND's past success with St. X and other private OH schools, as well as OSU's poor history in Cincinnati. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If they land all 3, it will end up being one helluva a class, especially given how Burrell and Harris have talked about playing with Cornell and Hilliard.

Devin1024's picture

Troy and Abed in the Morning!

+1 HS
OSU_Football_is_Life's picture

I'm so excited for Wednesday and the rest of July!

A win over TTUN is one of the most important annual milestones I can think of!

+3 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

How confident are we about Baker and OSU? He hasn't talked much, has he? And does he really have strong relationships with other targets/recruits? Could Tennessee be a concern?

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

Baker was always the one who we were pretty sure would come to OSU, but we've only been confident in Hilliard in the last couple of months.

+1 HS
ITWASME's picture

Christmas in July?

Seattle Linga's picture

Here you go It-Was-Me

+3 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

Meyer may hit a grand slam this month!

Ed Hopper

+2 HS
osu407's picture

Not to be negative but we all obviously trust this source:

-1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Note that Jeremy didn't necessarily say he bought it, just that there's discussion. From what I can tell on twitter, the Florida 247 writer Jeremy Stampini might be the source. Here's a VIP article he posted recently on 247, not sure what his info is there: http://florida.247sports.com/Board/14/Contents/The-latest-on-top-75-LB-Jerome-Baker-his-upcoming-commitment-29487284?Notification.Success=The+latest+on+top-75+LB+Jerome+Baker+%2526+his+upcoming+commitment+has+been+successfully+updated

Could be accurate, could just be the usual rumor-building (not from Jeremy B., from the source point) before an obvious commitment to make it seem like other teams have a legitimate shot. Ala Hilliard's Dad and his "he's changed his mind on the team twice this weekend" prior to Hilliard OSU commitment. Remembering Baker's reference to OSU as "home," and 7+ visits to OSU (vs. 1 each for Tennessee and Florida) I have a hard time believing his choice will be Florida personally.

+3 HS
Hayze's picture

FWIW all the article says is that the Florida staff feels confident and OSU staff doesn't feel as confident as it has before and hasn't for a couple days.

I'm confused about how a Florida writer knows how the OSU staff feels but no OSU writer has mentioned this.

+4 HS
lljjgg's picture

Thanks for the heads up! I agree, I don't doubt his source on the Florida staff. I'm a bit skeptical that he has any sources on the OSU staff, though. Now if Jeremy B., Alex Gleitman, Jordan, or another member of the OSU recruiting writers squad here or at 247 changes their Crystal Ball from OSU to Florida, I will start to worry haha.

And FWIW, there were reports from the ND 247 writer up until the night before the Hilliard commitment (when supposedly he phoned the ND staff to let them know he wasn't going there) that the ND staff felt confident about Hilliard. I definitely think in recruiting we can read too much into that (how confident a particular staff feels at any particular time). That kind of thing can be about inside info, but could also just be one good (or average) phone conversation they had with the player.

+1 HS

Is he friends with Tom Loy?

buckny's picture

Maybe he should hit up Hilliard for the Gator gear

lljjgg's picture

Hope no one minds my double post, a couple of extra thoughts to keep in mind:

1) Jerome Baker isn't going to the Opening, so this info is coming purely from a few scouts/recruiting writers (no way of knowing who Birm's source is, nor should we; that's his private info and none of our business), not from anyone who's talking to Baker in person
2) This kind of info (big hype/shock the world info) comes out frequently about a week before an obvious commitment. One example that sticks out in my mind: "There's a lot of smoke out here about Tony Brown to OSU" -Mike Farrell at the Under Armour All-American game last year
3) If we've heard this, you can believe Urban (the Closer) Meyer has heard it -- in which case, he has a week to work on Baker if need be before Baker's commitment.

+5 HS
osu407's picture

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe BassDropper is trolling some Gators.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Maybe Bass is trolling us!!!!!!!!

+3 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I hope that's what it is.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
FLBuckeye22's picture

Great point. I for one was totally stoked about Mike's Tony Brown comment...what a letdown that turned out to be. Brown and Webb together would have been ridiculous. Webb and Lattimore / Smith shouldn't be too shabby either, however!

+1 HS
brunstar's picture

He's all Buckeye

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Nobody is going to impulse buy a subscription to read a Florida writer say that Baker is headed to Ohio State.

+1 HS