Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Mike Weber vs LJ Scott

otrain2416's picture
June 26, 2014 at 2:00pm
47 Comments

I was curious to hear the staffs and fellow 11W opinion on these two backs who you think is the better player and who you wouldn't want to play against assuming the other goes to Sparty. Interesting to see how both of their recruitment has shifted from both being pro Sparty to both being more higher on OSU at this point in their recruitment. Personally, I think LJ Scott is better suited for Sparty's offense than Weber. LJ runs powerful like Hyde where Weber seems like a faster version of Jordan Hall that's elusive. Anyways, I played O-line in HS and college so I'm not the best judge of RB talent and won't know all the details to look for but I did my best. 

Mike Weber                                    highlights

• Pros: Good Vision, More elusive of the two, Good breakaway speed, Offense he plays in more similar to ours
  • Cons: Tends to run with the ball out from his body

LJ Scott                                          highlights

• Pros: Good vision, More powerful of the two, Good balance, Good ball security, edit: great hands
  • Cons: Lacks consistent breakaway speed. 
cdkmike's picture

I would take Scott because he from Ohio but i think there both good backs that have chance to play in the pros.

Michael green

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'd take either, but it'd be great to pull another star out of Cass.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

Honestly I would rather have Weber...I understand that both Weber and Scott compare very closely. As stated in OP, Weber plays in offense that is similar to OSU. In addition, it continues a beginning of a new pipeline in Michigan with Cass Tech which puts out a lot of talent to MSU and Michigan. Help take some of those top guys

2014 OSU got Webb,  2015 in with Weber, 2016 Michael Onwenu OL and 2017 Donovan Peoples-Jones.

Either way its a win. Continue the Hubbard, OH trend to OSU as well.

HattanBuck85's picture

LJ Scott. 

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

Groveport Heisman's picture

Always go with the similar ranked Ohio boy. Always.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
Jdadams01's picture
+6 HS
osu407's picture

Scott could be a Hyde-like power back that, I believe, complements Harris better. 

+3 HS
BierStube's picture

First .. for a guy that played o-line, I think your analysis is spot on.  We all can hope for one or another, but I would like to have the next "El Guapo" ready to roll in a year or two.  That being said, both these young men have to really look at which school (system) best fits what they would like to do.  Either way, MSU or OSU will adapt (tweak) their respective game plans to fit the talents of the personnel ... so from that standpoint I am not too concerned either way.  Funny how UM is not really in the discussion ... might be because of this ..

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+3 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

This is the only time Iowa is the winner.

+3 HS
Buck Commander's picture

I see a whale amongst dolphins...........but I needs me a Little Purdue

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

BlueBayou's picture

Purdue has my vote too.

BuckeyeGroove's picture

big boobies say indiana win

Buckeye Knight's picture

PSU lower half, Indiana chest, Iowa face.

+2 HS
TnJoeBucks's picture

It would have to be Minny for me.

"As the water shapes itself to the vessel that contains it, so a wise man adapts himself to circumstances." Confucius

Seattle Linga's picture

ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHER - ONE OF THESE THINGS JUST DOESN'T BELONG

+3 HS
ronbizi's picture

It would have been cool to see the actual mascot of  a Badger or golden gopher in place of the letters on the bikini bottoms.  Especially if Oregon State could have been included...

+2 HS
OSU_Football_is_Life's picture

A win over TTUN is one of the most important annual milestones I can think of!

s.pasadena fl's picture

Damn, Your making this Hard? However I love speed so I choose Weber. Also, from a political point of view the taking of weber keeps him from Michigan? Hubbard being less a Homerun threat makes my decision on Weber a little easier.  Will keep the doors to Cass open!

Ed Hopper

s.pasadena fl's picture

Please excuse the former mistype I meant Scott not Hubbard!

Ed Hopper

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Fwiw, you can go back and edit your posts instead of clarifying typos with another an additional post 

teddyballgame's picture

LJ Scott all day.  I can guarantee you Webber doesn't have a pic cooler than this.

+4 HS
Kid Buckeye's picture

Who is better catching the ball and blocking?

+1 HS
TnJoeBucks's picture

Two very valid points not yet considered. Could possibly be deciding factors.

"As the water shapes itself to the vessel that contains it, so a wise man adapts himself to circumstances." Confucius

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Good catch Kid (pun), Weber did not have any highlights of him catching the ball, but I do not know if they threw to him much. Scott has great hands looking at his highlights. He has a ridiculous catch around the 3:05 mark that's 100% worth watching.

BuckeyeJ's picture

Great write up!!! I love speed, but with Harris in the fold may need a bigger back who can block and get that 5 we may need. Look at it this way-----it's a win win for us if we get Harris and either one of those 2. 

+2 HS
EDUGOON's picture

They are both very talented young men. But I'm taking Weber. For a few facts. First off he fits the mold of our offense. His vision between the tackles is excellent, his balance is solid and his breakaway speed is above average. Landing him also keeps our name fresh at Cass Tech who seemingly is pumping dudes out at or near the rate of Glennville. We need to stay in that school. No knock to Scott, but just think there are so many positives to take away from landing Weber. Scott also in my opinion is ready made for MSU offense. Getting down hill is huge for him to excel, and that's what MSU ground attack is all about. Couple Weber with Harris!!! We will be off an running folks!!!

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

BlueBayou's picture

Not to throw off the conversation, but I am interested in asking a question to see if it affects others thoughts on the 2015 RB topic.  Recently Birm interviewed Damien Harris and the following comment by Harris stuck out to me.

"I don't mind coming and trying to compete for my spot, but I'd still like to be the only back in my class.

Before Damien Harris committed to Michigan, the coaches had indicated they were looking to add two RB's to the class.  As soon as Harris committed to Michigan, they changed their recruiting strategy and shut down their RB recruiting for 2015, pushing away other RB recruits like Weber and Patrick.  Once Borges was fired and Nussmeier hired, Michigan once again began recruiting for 2 RBs in the class and subsequently Harris decommitted. (Did Borges secure Harris' commitment by promising he would be the only RB in his class?)

So with the above being said, if Damien Harris is intent on being the only RB recruit in his class, should that affect tOSU's recruiting strategy?  Would you be willing to accept a commitment from Scott or Weber if you knew it would hurt your chances with Harris?

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture

Perfectly fair question, and I think one worth asking.

If I was the OSU staff, I'd accept Scott's commitment regardless of what happens with Damien Harris. As far as I know, Harris doesn't plan to commit anywhere anytime soon. He does seem to favor OSU now, but there's no promise he will later. Scott meanwhile plans to commit to OSU or MSU in July (likely OSU it sounds like at this point), he's a top10 RB (somewhere between 7-14 depending on the service)/top150 player overall, and an Ohio boy (which says to me that he is likely to stick with OSU regardless of whether they continue to pursue Harris after getting him; some Ohio kids decommit from OSU, but they are very rare). Harris has no real connection to OSU though, so while I'd love for OSU to get him, I'd always go with the safer bet in Scott and simply hope that Harris continues to favor OSU regardless. If he doesn't, at least you still have that top10 RB in Scott, which is a fantastic get period. I'm not an "all eggs in one basket" guy given what happened with Deshaun Watson/Kyle Allen last class. Allen is on record saying he would have committed to OSU had they given him the offer the prior summer: personally I think Kyle Allen will be the best QB in the 2014 class (or 2015 class while we're at it), that was an unfortunate missed opportunity. At the same time OSU put all their eggs in the Raekwon McMillan basket at MLB and won that battle, so who's to say. You win some, you lose some.

I will say though, you're quite right in that a 2nd RB recruit in a class can make a huge difference for a player. Seemed like it did for Ezekiel Elliott for a little bit there (but it's hard to know the entire story behind that; just appeared he wavered for a short time after Dontre Wilson signed on). Really still blows my mind IRT what Alabama was able to do getting Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara (who's since transferred), and Altee Tenpenny in that one class. That was masterwork. I still can't figure out how they sold Alvin Kamara on that; obviously didn't work for long after he actually got on campus, though.

+3 HS
johnny11's picture

LJ Scott. Bigger frame to build on. Good hands. Speed can be improved by coach Mick. Trust me Scott all day and twice on sunday's. Mark that down. Go Bucks.

WesPatterson23's picture

LJ Scott. He could be the thunder to Harris' lightning.

+3 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

The Cass Tech to Ohio State legacy:

2014 Webb

2015 Weber

2016 Webest???

+19 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
osu407's picture

A Sherlock reference will always get an up vote from me. 

otrain2416's picture

Appreciate all the comments guys, sorry I forgot to write in earlier I was under the assumption Harris was the #1 choice and we were basically looking at our two 1B choices because they are both outstanding backs. 

I also forgot to write in out of the two I would go for Scott. I think he could play a great Hyde role in the future for us and he would be an absolute nightmare to play against in Sparty's offense. His great hands, balance, and vision make him a dangerous three down back. While both would be great fits in our offense, I think Weber would be a threat in a Northwestern/Indiana spread look where he has room to bounce outside the tackles. 

As far as the Harris quote only wanting one back in the class, I think you have to take Scott if he wants to commit. While Harris is very high on OSU now, following recruiting the last few years has made me realize his interest in OSU could change in a blink of an eye. 

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

A couple of people have mentioned the thunder and lightning element of a Scott/Harris combo, and I agree, that would be fantastic. I'm not a USC fan in general, but that combo of Reggie Bush (blazing speed + elite shiftyness)  and Lendale White (pound it out short yardage back) was really deadly. I'd love to see Scott and Harris fill that same role (or even Curtis Samuel + Larry Scott).

+2 HS
johnny11's picture

I've said it before, but those two remind me of Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams at Auburn. That is the thunder and lighting combination that comes to mind with me.

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

Just an alternative to Scott's highlights:

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Even if Scott is the only RB Ohio State gets, i'll be happy.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
OSU_Football_is_Life's picture

A win over TTUN is one of the most important annual milestones I can think of!

+2 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

¿Por qué no los dos?

Porque Damien Harris.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

Larry Scott was bumped up from a 93 to a 95 rating by 247 sports today.

+2 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

That's nice for Larry, but what about LJ?

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

-3 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

In case your are bring serious (sometimes you just can't tell) they are the same person.

+1 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

No I wasn't being serious haha. Shoulda used italics I guess. Now give me my compensatory up-votes damnit.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

So, with the Scott commitment to MSU, does OSU simply go all in on Harris, or do they shift the focus and energy that they were using on Scott to Weber? I'd love to still see them get 2 quality RBs in the class.

Hope to get some good news during, or immediately after, Friday Night Lights.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill