Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Urban talks 2015 class

mtrotb's picture
June 25, 2014 at 7:01am
49 Comments
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Not to be an ass, but I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet... Someone had to have miss-heard. The staff here has repeatedly said they expect the class to be at least 20, and they're pretty "in the know"

+29 HS
Killer nuts's picture

What exactly does your diet consist of?

+15 HS
otrain2416's picture

Rumor is DEFENCEWINSCHAMPIONSHIPS ate a box of skittles and a quart of rainbow sherbet for dinner.... Stay tuned folks.

gm3jones's picture

"Denim dan. What are you the CEO for Levi?" lol classic

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

DannyBeane's picture

Where'd you get the Canadian Tuxedo?

+2 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

It's going to be very nice when the scholly restrictions are lifted.  I still don't see how we only nab 14-15 though.  We may not have a top 10 class if it's only 14-15 but the quality vs. the quantity will be much better IMO.

Woodshed's picture

The scholly restrictions are already lifted. OSU gets 85 starting THIS recruiting class.

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Are you sure? From reading the article I didnt get that impression.

I season my simple food with hunger

Crimson's picture

Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 for each of the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years. This is an increase from the university’s proposal of five initial scholarships spread across three academic years.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-20/ohio-state-cited-failure-monitor

CC's picture

Brojim, I think what Woodshed means is that the recruiting class for 15 is not under restriction while the team on the field still is this year.

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Ahh, that clears things up, thanks.

I season my simple food with hunger

+2 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

The class size is at 16 today, so if there is no attrition whatsoever then that is close to being true. Seems unlikely that nobody will leave the program in the next 7 months though.

+5 HS
razrback16's picture

+1.

We can currently take up to 16 kids total. But most of the time you will see 3-5 leave the program for varying reasons in just about every single offseason, so I imagine this class will be around 19-21 in February.

Edit: Just wanted to add also, I have heard some talk that some guys who have redshirted and are 4th year juniors this year may not have their schollies renewed for the 5th year, so that is also an area where more room could be generated.

mh277907's picture

Now if some of the dead wood transfers, then we will have more room.

Sounds a little harsh to me. Most, if not all, of these kids are busting their asses to get on the field. I wouldn't label them as "dead wood" because they can't crack the two-deep. This isn't Bama.

buckeyebobcat

+12 HS
mtrotb's picture

You talking about Bama, winner of 3 of the last 5 national championships?  I didn't advocate running people off, but if some of the 4th year juniors and 3rd year sophomores who haven't sniffed the 2 deep want to cut themselves and transfer down a level or two, that is fine.

mtrotb

-10 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Well if the guaranteed scholarships come to fruition this point would be irrelevant. 

Sometimes guys just don't pan out and that's ok.  I don't think they should start canning them like regular employees.

+4 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

While "winning at all costs" is alright by you these are still students who again deserve a shot. 2 things, 1 a 4th year junior, what he's going to give you one scholarship for one year? 2. I'm going to introduce you to Maryland. They are a new program to the big 10 but if you didn't follow them a couple years back they went through 5 QBs. Not being on the 2 deep doesn't mean you won't get in the game. There are a reason for 85 scholarships and not 44. 

+4 HS
mh277907's picture

I didn't advocate running people off, but if some of the 4th year juniors and 3rd year sophomores who haven't sniffed the 2 deep want to cut themselves and transfer down a level or two, that is fine.

You are absolutely right - if these kids want to transfer somewhere else to get more playing time then more power to them. I just don't agree with you in calling these kids, and I emphasize kids, "dead wood." Didn't mean to start a huge deal about it, I just know that even the players read 11W so I think we could just show them a little more respect than that.

buckeyebobcat

+11 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

As some have already stated, these kids are supposed to be STUDENTS first, then athletes.  Forcing a student to transfer to a different school can cause plenty of problems for a kid trying to earn his degree, especially since he will probably end up at a regular job after school since he obviously isn't seeing the field in college.  What Saban does is pure BS and I have always felt that the NCAA needs to do something about it (will NEVER happen with his buddy Emmert there), along with the ridiculous oversigning.  The 25 recruit cap helps, but you can still oversign the # of schollies you have available.  If this was truly a minor league system where they really paid these kids, I'd have no problem getting rid of the "dead wood", but even if the lines are getting slightly blurred, they are still students.

+6 HS
sivaDavis's picture

If that were the case, I don't think we would have as many commitments as we have right now. Not saying our current commits wouldn't eventually be commits, but there would be a much longer evaluation process I feel like. 

4-5 spots left for all the big talent we're in on? I don't think so. Still saying 18-20.. Especially with all the things we don't want but they just happen sometimes: injuries, transfers, dismissals, players leaving for the NFL. It's bound to happen.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
trigg03's picture

If it were to be true that there's only going to be 15 tops...does the staff honestly believe those who have commited thus far are really the best they could get?? I doubt this very seriously.

+1 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

I really can't see us accepting all these guys camping without leaving much space for the big fish we're working on.  Leaving 4-5 spots for 8-9 guys we're in really good for?  I highly doubt it.  

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

+3 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

Anyone think it could just be Urban making a strategic move?  Maybe a kid reading this that is leaning heavy to come to OSU but taking his time reads this and thinks, "oh man, I need to call Urban Meyer and let him know I'm ready to be a Buckeye."  It's all strategy, Urban is the man when it comes to this stuff.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+11 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Recruiting math similar to accounting. I'm sure they can shift players to last years class by early enrollment. They won't turn down Harris for example if they already have 19. They will find a way.

Stellar's picture

Shifting players to last years recruiting class only helps you get around the 25 signers per year limit. However there is still a hard cap of 85 total scholarships. That you can't get around with creative math, only by removing players.

nikolajz1's picture

This could just be Urban tempering expectations after a bunch of misses this year. Classic PR move. Say you were only going to take 15 anyway. It doesnt look as bad when you dont have a top 10 class. 

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

I fully expect, and I am sure Urban and staff fully expect, to have not only a top 10 class but a top 5 class again this year. Messing around with the class calculator on 247sports and adding in guys like Cornell, Burrell, Harris, Jefferson, Hilliard, Scott, Baker, etc. (all VERY realistic possibilities) and you see that it puts us in the 280-295 point range which, looking at past years, would be a top 5 class.

buckeyebobcat

m5987usus's picture

Got into a fight with a Penn State fan the other day.  I told him that Ohio State would finish with a better 2015 class, EASY.  He showed the rankings as of now saying how?  I said dude, were not even halfway to signing day.  Unbelieveable.

O-H!

+4 HS
mh277907's picture

About 2 weeks ago, you probably could have had the same fight with some OSU fans.

buckeyebobcat

+7 HS
m5987usus's picture

Yea I know lol.  It is just amazing how recruiting works.  We were there at like 55 three weeks ago, now were about to be top 10.

O-H!

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

To be fair, PSU will probably end up with a larger and "better" class, especially if the scholarships come back in full later this summer (they'll take all 25 and are offering greyshirts). In that case, even if we do max out, which looks to be about ~20, I don't see how we pass them. I don't think it'll be "easy" at all IMO.

-1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I can not find where or when I posted a comment about people needing to relax about the slow recruiting start, it was March or April, that I posted the comment that people need to back away from the ledge and trust in Urban to recruit a very good class, top 5 at the very least, in regards to quality. Urbz is not going to have enough room for the players he wants. In regards to quality, I would not be surprised to see this class be no worse than number two.

m5987usus's picture

When you recruit out of Ohio so much, like Urban has been doing, a lot of these prospects did not neccessarily grow up Ohio State fans.  So instead of being all buckeye, like a lot of Ohio kids if they were offered, these out of ohio kids need to come to campus, take in a practice, and not just be sold on "Ohio State being the team I grew up for."  A lot of kids in a state grew up rooting for the "state" school, but when you are recruiting out of state, the recruiting becomes a bit more then just we are Ohio State and the state school, but rather, ok tell me why Ohio State is the best fit for me and why I should play for them.

O-H!

Sims_tOSU's picture

We lead for about 8-9 recruits right now and that's without Kirk or gallimore included bc we domt lead for them. So there is no way we would say no to all that talent. We will most likely be more around 20 IMO.

+1 HS
Northbrook's picture

I'm thinking 20.

BTW, my spreadsheet shows us one over at this point. Either I have it wrong or somebody has to go before the Fall.

Stellar's picture

Did you remove Jamal Marcus and Jayme Thompson? I'm pretty sure we're at the right number now but I'd have to go back and check.

teddyballgame's picture

If Urban said "We plan on taking at least 20"  the question in everyones mind then becomes "...uhh coach how is that possible?"  You have to at least act like you aren't planning to lose anyone otherwise when it happens people will doubt it's for a legitimate reason.  "oh they just processed that kid out because he wasn't performing on the field" etc.

+12 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Ding, ding, ding. Teddyballgame for the win!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

cdkmike's picture

No way this class is that small i think urban putting it out there so guys on fence will get there spot. also heard they want 2 more ol that would be 12  

Michael green

+2 HS
bucknut8's picture

As much as Urban and staff dont care about the star rankings, you would think if this was a small class like 14 or 15, they would be saving spots for the top guys that they are in on. I like our class now, but we are in on some great prospects for the class to stop around 14 or 15. 

#Buckeyes

Jordan Wagner's picture

Last year Urban Meyer said the 2014 class would be 20 recruits. 

HilltopHustle's picture

Everybody's on the same page as I am with the ~20 scholarships. Could be 18, could be 22, but it'll be in that range. Not sure I'm prepared for the outcry from fans who don't understand the numbers if OSU doesn't finish #1 in the B1G for 2015.

MikeTheBuckeye's picture

We're sitting at 10. With Hilliard and his buddies (still debatable where they land) that puts us up to 13. After Hilliard commits there should be a swarm of commitments on the horizon trying to find their place in the class. With all this in mind I don't see us just taking 14 or so commits. 20 sounds much more reasonable. But this is just an outsiders perspective.