Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson Update?

WesPatterson23's picture
June 24, 2014 at 8:54pm
61 Comments

I know there have been so many threads about him, but I was just curious what was going on with his recruitment.

I know he said he has basically lost touch with our coaches, but I have heard some other schools are doing the same. Can anybody confirm that?

if that is true, do you think the coaches are completely done with him and trying to get him on campus. This guy is a great talent and hopefully whatever has been going on with him (his act and attitude I guess) can be cleared up.

sharks's picture

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+16 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Dead. Friggin Horse already!

Go Bucks!

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Where is your gif of the horse getting royally beaten Go 1?

+1 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

I believe you were looking for this?

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+11 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Thank you sir!

Go Bucks!

bigDbuck's picture

Welcome to mcdonalds, may I take your order. 

bodast67's picture

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+6 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

BUT WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT A TIGHT END?!?!

In UFM, we trust.  With all recruiting. 

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Nick Bosa scared him away. 

+11 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Damn.

I thought he was all Bosa.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+3 HS
ronbizi's picture

He should have joined us then.  Only way to prevent death by Bosa in a real game. 

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Ha, funny thing is, Bosa and Gibson square off in their teams first game of the season, live on ESPN. American Heritage vs. St. Thomas Aquinas

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Nice. That's must-see TV.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Never heard of him. We didn't want him anyway.

Unless of course he wants to come to OSU, then we want him.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+6 HS
cdkmike's picture

Who is this guy never heard his name before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael green

+2 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

"This just in.  Generalissimo Francisco Franco is STILL dead."

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

BRILLIANT!

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

That horse ain't dead yet. Yesterday, he said he wants to come to Ohio State for a visit. If he does make it here for a visit, I have a feeling the horse may end up back on his feet and in the race.

http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/portal-page-athlete-blogs/item/2138-the-torrance-gibson-athlete-blog

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

I'm all for it but let's see him actually visit before we go crazy.

+3 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Saw on twitter that TN will no longer accept his commitment.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

I find that really hard to believe. 

WesPatterson23's picture

Also a TN fan basically asked TG if TN was still recruiting them, and TG said "I don't think they are" (or something like that)

NatiBuck's picture

I Would be really interested to see what schools are still recruiting him at this point if the Tennessee rumor is true. You would think most of the other schools would have dropped him too... Seems like something UK might jump all over

+3 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I agree. I am sure we are not recruiting him as well

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Tennessee would try to find Mike Vick a fake birth certificate and suit him up at QB if he was willing. If Tenn and Auburn have seriously quit recruiting this kid there is a serious reason why and I would bet everything I own its serious enough for us to drop out of that race too. We just dont have a solid lead on what this kid has done that is so terrible is all. If true it will surface soon enough.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
NatiBuck's picture

So now it sounds like Gibson is trying to get up here or the staff are trying to get him up here.  If he is as bad as everyone says he that makes me nervous, but he is such a good player.  I say keep recruiting him only if we can get him at wide out and he doesn't punch anymore teachers.  I know that's a tall order though...

Nutty's picture

So now it sounds like Gibson is trying to get up here or the staff are trying to get him up here

Where did you hear this? I agree with you that Gibson is an awesome talent but is he worth it? If after the suspension and rumors floating around it could be a major mistake, especially for UM. If this kid came to OSU and ended up in trouble the media would tie UM to the back of their news van and drag him through town square. Unfair but reality.

NatiBuck's picture

Read it on 247. Gibson said he had been talking to Pantoni about visiting. It would definitely be a shame to let that kind of talent go. I would rather the Bucks give him a shot and cut him if it doesn't work out than let him go somewhere else. But Urban probably doesn't want a reputation with recruits as somebody who cuts people from the team easily... Urban has a tough job

Murph32's picture

Or UFM could very well steer this kid in the right direction (if all rumors are legit). I feel if Urban did take on this callenge it would clean up his name if all works out of course. (Even though his name needs no clearing in our book)

Nutty's picture

I appreciate the sentiment Murph but when was the last time UM ever got credit for steering a kid in the right direction (other than from OSU fans)? Again, it isn't fair but it would be a bigger risk for him than other coaches, even coaches who have had much more trouble with players. Haters gonna hate.

brandonbauer87's picture

Not only that, he hasn't made any mistakes big enough for the general CFB world to notice. Basically, no one knows he's a project, so turning him around would go largely unnoticed to everyone but Buckeye Nation. 

DannyBeane's picture

Recruit him as a wide receiver...

+1 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

"Oh wait, he wants to visit still?"

Suddenly the whole fanbase changes their minds and says that UFM will fix him..

In all seriousness, I've never had a problem with him enjoying his recruitment and when we stopped recruiting him I hoped that it wasn't because he was showing off too much on the social media. I felt like he has the right to enjoy the recruitment process.

+2 HS
niblick's picture

I'll personally drive him to his school of choice, help him unpack and leave him enough spending cash for his first 10 pizzas as long as it isn't tOSU.

+1 HS
jmacaulay17's picture

He just posted on Twitter that he wants to set up a visit. 

If he visits, great. But I am not going to lose sleep over him anymore. This class is going to be a great with or without him.  

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

+4 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I think people who say they don't want him here are being a little presumptuous. It's certainly their opinion to have, but as of right now we don't know exactly what happened at his school and the only thing you can knock him for is enjoying the social media aspect of recruiting a little too much. If he actually unofficially visits, cool beans, I'd love to see where things go from there. But I certainly won't be wringing my hands over where he decides to go.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+4 HS
kgratz's picture

Guess who this player was.  The italics and strike-through are covering up giveaways.

During a high school basketball game in 2000, witnesses said player purposely elbowed a white player and knocked him unconscious. Years later, player told Sports Illustrated he lashed out because racial slurs were thrown at him during the game.

He was dismissed from the team at private high school in suburban city. He soon transferred to high school, where he starred in football and basketball.

"You have to remember what the perception of Player was," Coach said. "It was, 'You don't want him on your team.'"

Early in his college career, Player was involved in a fight outside a College dormitory in the fall of 2003 and was found guilty of disorderly conduct.

Then an NCAA investigation determined he took $500 from a College booster in the spring of 2004. He had to repay the money, sit out the College's bowl game and the 2005 opener.

All I'm going to say is that I think some people get caught up in the wrong place wrong time wrong people.  I'm not one of those people that thinks everybody deserves a second chance but some people do.  People are giving up on this kid without having any idea what's going on.  

How Firm Thy Friendship

+5 HS
niblick's picture

- That's Troy Smith

- I still want no part of Torrence Gibson

-2 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

Why don't you want any part of him? I respect your opinion, but I personally don't understand why you wouldn't see how a teenager's recruitment plays out. Give it time and see if he still acts the same.

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+3 HS
kgratz's picture

How?  What has TG done that makes you want no part? So he's been in some trouble with his high school friends that he would leave behind when/if he would come to OSU.  You don't even want to give the kid a chance? Considering what an athlete he is and what he could bring to the team.  

This isn't meant to be confrontational I'm just asking a question.  I don't understand why people are so against it.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

It's not what he has done IMO. It's what he won't do. He won't visit. How far is tenn from here? Been there multiple times and will not even try to visit? I think he is a talent, but just don't see it as a qb. My trust is with the staff. IF the staff wants him, then I do because they can try and develope him because he will be waiting in line behind JT IMO. I personally wanted Stevens, Jones, Waller (in that order) but very happy with burrow!! If he visits I will be surprised

+1 HS
jedkat's picture

nvmd.

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

kgratz's picture

I think people don't want to give TG a chance because he reminds them too much of Pryor.  Because he's a tall, super athlete that's a bit of a quarterback-project and they draw comparisons, they're afraid he's going to bring trouble to OSU.  And that's not fair to him. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

TheBadOwl's picture

You're all pretty vitriolic towards a 17-year-old star athlete who none of you have ever met.

Birm said he's a good kid. Birm has actually talked to him.

Saying "Oh I want no part of him because of some rumors on Twitter that never got confirmed and because he released a top 10 list instead of a top 3 list so he's so immature obviously" is one of the most annoying circlerjerks I've ever seen on this board.

So what if he released a top 10 list? He's doing his due diligence. So what if he's active on social media? Just about every teenager ever is these days. And a ton of young professionals as well.

Oh, and the rumors that he got into an altercation at school, or whatever? First of all, it's none of our business, second of all, remember last offseason? Similar, if not more severe allegations were lobbed at Roby and Hyde. People here weren't being dicks like this towards those guys.

If you're really this passionate about not wanting a 5-star kid who you've never talked to, maybe you're the immature one.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+9 HS
OSU069's picture

Couldn't have said it better. Great post.

-1 HS
GirthBrooks's picture

Brb.......*Googles vitriolic*

+2 HS
OH_IO's picture

Right there with ya

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Why are people saying recruit him as a WR? Yes he would be awesome at that position but give him a try at QB. If he doesn't work out we have Burrow and will get another QB in next years class.

Buckeye fan from PA

+4 HS
OSUClub_Baseball27's picture

We need to stop jumping to conclusions from both sides. Do any of us personally know him? No. Have any of us talked to him? No. 

Leave this decision up to the staff. I don't know why so many people still don't understand this but, TRUST URBAN.

If they want to recruit him, that's fine. If they don't, that's fine as well.

There is a reason why Urban and his staff are successful at what they do and why they are at the WHAC right now and there is a reason why we are on the boards jumping to conclusions about a prospect we only know through the interwebz. 

Let the OSU football staff take care of the recruitment.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

But Meyer will turn him into another Aaron Hernandez.

+2 HS