Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Recruiting coverage

Woodshed's picture
June 21, 2014 at 3:06pm
35 Comments

I know this opinion won't be popular, but is anyone else disappointed with the lack of recruiting update/coverage from the staff lately? This has been one of the most active couple weeks in osu recruiting for a long time, but I feel like you wouldn't know it if you just briefly skimmed looking for staff updates.

Since Gene has been gone there have been no visitor update lists. There have been something like 6 camps but we have only had a couple of brief camp coverage updates.

I understand this is a free site and very much appreciate that fact. However, most of the good info being posted nowadays is from other posters.

I have seen the obligatory recruiting update articles (once a week?) and the "gray box" stories after a commitment but overall it just seems to be lacking.

Anyone else agree? Or am I alone in this?

m5987usus's picture

Dude, is this serious?

O-H!

+22 HS
BassDropper's picture

lol, I read the first 2 sentences and said the exact same thing. I can't tell if this guy is trolling or not.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Dude, if YOU can't tell, that what chance do any of us have?!?!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+6 HS
ronbizi's picture

Touche.  Great observation and comment JRB322!!!

-1 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

There was an update yesterday by Rowland. YESTERDAY. Be grateful for the site. 

+12 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Yea, but c'mon what has 11W done for us LATELY?

+4 HS
OSU069's picture

You are completely alone. 

+10 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

They are pretty up to date IMO. 11W is pretty exceptional, especially considering that it's FREE.

+11 HS
Woodshed's picture

It seems so lonely in here. Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate the site and the fact that it is free. Just voicing my opinion.

+4 HS
Woodshed's picture

Real life issues.

+3 HS
2002osubuck's picture

That sucks I didn't know Gene's not writing anymore. I absolutely loved his updates with the videos and lists of visitors. Gene provided an incredible service and I appreciate his effort over the years. Now as far as the 11w staff, this is THE BEST site for anything OSU hands down! Woodshed should be taken out to one.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Gene's back in a few weeks, commented on a forum page that his work hired someone new to help out..Should see Quick Bites hopefully in July..

+2 HS
Brutus' Left Nut's picture

He did just recently have a kid.  

jamesrbrown322's picture

+8 HS
Woodshed's picture

I am serious. And stop calling me Shirley....

+10 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I think Birm, Jordan and others will have lots to discuss tomorrow, after the camps are over.

+6 HS
sharks's picture

I haven't noticed a drop in coverage, and I'm sure they're working on interviews with the new guys. 

I get downvoted to oblivion every time I post this, but I don't care because it is true.  If you want boots-on-the-ground recruiting coverage, Land Grant is the best (free) site for it.  The writing isn't as good and there is no community to speak of, but I think being under the SB Nation umbrella gives special access to those guys over there.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+10 HS
BassDropper's picture

It's not the staffs responsibility to pick up the work of a poster. Gene isn't a writer for this site, to my knowledge he is just an average poster like you or I. If you want to pick up the slack go ahead.

DIRECTIONER

+5 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

9Route can post one of his announcements. That usually breaks up the day :)

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS
Taspra's picture

I'm sorry woodshed, but I do not agree with you at all. These folks all have day jobs or are students. Between keeping us fans up to date and working they are probably putting in 15 to 16 hrs per day. 

I know at the end of my 10 hr day the last thing I want to do is come home and have to do research and put in another whole shift. (free of charge I might add). All I want to do is come home, relax and catch up on what's going on with tOSU and they do that for us! Again free of charge. 

Thank you 11Warriors

Jordan Wagner's picture

I think it's fair criticism. If anyone has any feedback please send me an email to Jordan@ElevenWarriors.com and I'll be sure to take it into consideration and get back to you. 

Brutus' Left Nut's picture

I would like to see Gray Boxes about Justin Hilliard and Jashon Cornell committing.  And, if they haven't committed yet, I would like to see the 11W staff force them to commit.  Please get on this immediately.

We hold 11W to a higher standard and expect more than just reporting from you guys.  If there aren't commitments to report, go get us commitments.

Birm lives in Arizona? Then why hasn't he made Kirk commit yet?

Psh, to think this site was on my favorites list... Get your shit together guys...

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

I'm never unwilling to hear criticism, whether constructive or otherwise. 

While Jordan, John, Mike, and myself all work very hard to try and be as up-to-date and "ahead of the curve" as possible with every single recruiting update and breaking information, it's a challenge for each of us because we do all have other jobs (I have two other jobs). I live in Arizona, so getting back to these one-day camps isn't a realistic option for me unfortunately. As a non-networked site, we are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to camp season because we just don't have the resources to send a dozen guys to Columbus to hide behind trash cans, especially because we all have other responsibilities.

I will say that as a site, we were the first to have confirmation on the Nick Conner commitment, we broke the Grant Schmidt announcement, the first to have an interview with Liam McCullough after his announcement, the first on Tyler Gerald's announcement and many others. We take great pride in our work and we're growing as a website each and every day in terms of numbers but more importantly in terms of legitimacy and respect from our peers and from Ohio State. 

If there's anything else I can do for you, or answer for you, reach out to Jeremy@elevenwarriors.com and let me know. 

AndyVance's picture

Let me summarize for folks who don't like to read multiple sentences in one post: #WINNING.

Seriously, Birm - you guys are kicking ass and taking names. For many, if not most of us, this is the only place we follow recruiting information, and generally the only place we need to go. Thanks for the effort from each of you.

+7 HS
Killer nuts's picture

You and the rest of the staff are first class 

+1 HS
ek68's picture

Very thankful for all the info 11W writers give us. Keep up the great work. 

OSU52's picture

I think we can all agree this is the best site as far as recruiting coverage goes. Thanks for all the hard work eleven warrior staff 

+2 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

You guys spend your valuable free time making this community great. That's a sacrifice not many are willing to make. I appreciate and respect that. Thanks for all your work!

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS
jedkat's picture

I'm sure I speak for most when I say they do a fantastic job respecting the kids choices and trying to confirm through multiple sources before posting 'breaking' news. I'd rather there be fewer updates but have those updates stay posted to the website as opposed to more frequent updates only to have them taken down because they're wrong or they wanted to be 'first' and lose credibility.

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+2 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

I go here first and last!

Ed Hopper

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Oh Woodshed, I'd love to take you out back of one after this post. 

The coverage on this site, especially for it being free, is insanely good. Wouldn't go anywhere else for coverage... Unless I'm going over to MGoBlog to have a... friendly debate

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

-1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

You guys do a great job, and I feel your coverage is more than adequate. I do miss the weekly B1G recruiting updates with class rankings. Is this gone or is it only for later in the recruiting cycle?