Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Reading that Justin Hilliard

305Buck's picture
June 20, 2014 at 6:28pm
92 Comments

Will probably commit to Ohio State on Sunday before he leaves per scout.

It may not go public immediately if he do.

buckguyfan1's picture

That would be major boom. 

+6 HS
hetuck's picture

Sonic boom?

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

danavh4's picture

WTF?  Really?  There aren't Enough DV's in the world for me to express how I feel about this post!  Hey, I heard he's committing but oh...you won't hear about it if he does.  Why...this is cruelty to a whole different level!

Michigan Fan: "We lose a long snapper and the whole team goes to shit!"

-10 HS
305Buck's picture

Its basically what most recruits do nowadays, they inform a coaching staff that they're going to commit to them, but they tell them to keep quiet about it so that they can announce it on their own.

+13 HS
teddyballgame's picture

so how does it get here?  :P

+10 HS
otrain2416's picture

always appreciate the info 305, lets hope this is true. 

+1 HS
Nutty's picture

Why not go public? Not seeing the sense in that.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

He may want to inform the other coaches in his top five of his decision before going public.

He won't be able to do that though if he commits in person to Urban while on his visit.

So, I'd guess if this happens (HUGE if), we'll here about it sometime later Sunday or the next few days after it.

+5 HS
Nutty's picture

Got ya. Just seems like he could be such a huge recruiting tool and keeping quiet would mean he/we lose that.

Hayze's picture

I don't think you'd have to wait long.

What he means is he won't tweet that he's committed right away. I don't think you'd have to wait long. Plenty of time for him to recruit and he knows that.

+1 HS
labuck's picture

Because he wants to announce it at his school with his coaches and parents.  There is plenty of sense in it.  It lets the coaches at OSU know exactly where they are with him and also gives him his moment at his school with friends and family.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I will hit you with this only if it is made known this weekend.

+20 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

He wants to have his moment at his high school and make a proper announcement. Not sure if this information is  factual, because I read a "rumor"  earlier that he might commit to ND and not even make his trip to tOSU tomorrow. I dont believe it for one  second but hey its about as solid a glass of water so I guess it has me nervous.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Wiltfong from 247 reported that Hilliard will definitely be in Columbus tomorrow. He isn't the type of kid that schedules a trip, then not make it unless there's a real bad emergency.

+4 HS
Hayze's picture

Where did you read this rumor?

305Buck's picture

My mistake, thought you was talking to me.

My rumor was from a good friend basically copying and pasting bullshit from some ND message board. Couldnt even read which site it was from. We have a very love/hate relationship and play sarcastic jokes on each other frequently. The gist of his c&p was some fans saying Hilliard was decked out in green and gold and having a great time and when asked if he was still going to Columbus tomorrow he responded with "I'm not sure yet" I took it all with a grain of salt and I wouldnt put it past my friend to  have fabricated the whole thing to make me nervous and it worked. So yea I was just stating I know Justin wants to make aproper announcement at his high school and wants his "moment" lets not ruin that for the kid and let it play out.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

Did you hear this rumor on Irish Envy?

FROMTHE18's picture

The info is cool and all but unless you provide some sort of link or credible source, I'm taking this as your own opinion. 

+2 HS
Hayze's picture

It's from nevadabuck

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

And I hope I see it soon...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+7 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

If Justin Hilliard commits to tOSU on Sunday, plus USA beats Portugal, I will be taking Monday off work.

+17 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Amen brother!!

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+1 HS
sharks's picture

305's been on point lately, so I'm not doubting it.

Hopefully, whoever screwed up keeping that one 2014 kid's commitment secret will pipe down and not spoil this one.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+6 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

Bill Kurelic on Jalyn Holmes

+5 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

I like that you picked up Nick Conner's pic, BuckeyeGuy. Awesome photo.

+2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

plus he is a high profile recruit. Might want some media attention when he commits. Via ESPNU/ college football daily.

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Wiltfong is usually as solid as it gets when it comes to sources and information, he is right 90+% of the time on his predictions as well. Chris Clark was the first Buckeye prediction he has been wrong on in a long while. If he switches Hilliard to ND then be worried otherwise Hilliard will be staying home in Ohio.

-1 HS
305Buck's picture

Clark had a lot of people fooled. Kid was tweeting a lot of pro buckeye things, then the interview he did with Kurelic all made it seem like he was Buckeye bound.

Imo he will flip to Ohio State at the end of this year when Hoke gets fired, either that or he'll flip when he sees his "bros" Baker, Cornell, Harris and Hilliard all going to Ohio State.

+2 HS
Hayze's picture

Confirmed by Loy that Hilliard is at ND right now.

Interesting that Hilliard himself didn't tweet about it though.

+1 HS

Probably embarrassed about being at ND..

Buckeye fan from PA

+9 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

This is the one Recruit that I'm flipping about? We get him This class could be extremely sick! We don't it will still be very good just not extraordinary!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Brian Kelly is showing him highlights from the ND-Bama national championship game

+34 HS
makearuckus's picture

spit out my coke on that one.good one uv

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Why? Is he recruiting him to Bama?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+5 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Well someone won the internet today...

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

trigg03's picture

If Hilliard does the right thing & pick OSU I will be ecstatic for the rest of the off season not only will he be a Buckeye but more then likely Harris & Cornell as well. That would be a stacked class.

actionstanleyjackson's picture

Time to close the deal. Coffee is for closers. 

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

+8 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Time to tweet a couple things from #IrishInvasion between periods. #Rivals100 LB Justin Hilliard here at #NotreDame again with his dad.

- via Jake Brown (Jake_Brown)

Man, his Dad is REALLY pushing him hard to ND. Seems like the parents are split between the two schools. Anyone know if his mother has been to South Bend?

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

305Buck's picture

Yea she was with him last week when he went, rumors are she still favors Ohio State. She was blown away on the Ohio State visit. His dad is a huge ND fan, but he isn't the type of parent to push his son to any school, it's going to be Justin's decision in the end.

+5 HS
TraSmith4's picture

They are both incredible schools that is just the truth of the matter. That being said if the Hilliards marriage or Mom/Dad relationship is like most relationships lol then I like Momma's chances :) I can also see Momma wanting to get one of those split jerseys for both sons when they play each other in the B1G. I think Damien Harris is in his ear as well for the good guys. Definitely the most anticipated decision by fans of both schools right now.

+2 HS
LoveTheeND's picture

Hilliard got the top-shelf royal treatment (duh) so we'll see soon if it was enough. I'm holding out hope that he wouldn't have even bothered with this final trip to ND if he truly is already set on the Buckeyes. I have a feeling this one goes in your all's favor though.

The event went well for ND for the most part according to the Twitter machine. The '16 TE from Moeller that I think is all-OSU will be returning to ND on Monday with his mom to check out campus a bit further, and Malik Henry seemed to really enjoy himself as well.

I know the big concern is Hilliard, and most of you probably don't care about an ND event, but I wanted to share what I heard through Twitter just to give you guys info from the ND side concerning big recruits for both schools.

+13 HS
Hayze's picture

Good post. Most OSU people think that while Hilliard still likes ND, this trip was more to appease his dad than anything else. Could be wrong though! We sure hope we get him. Payback for stealing Jaylon Smith!

Hausmann is all Buckeye. He might not pop in the immediate future like Luke Farrell will but it would be a pretty big shock if he doesn't sign with OSU.

The two OL are a bit more interesting. I think we have a very good shot at Kraemer and would be surprised if he committed elsewhere, but Eichenberg is different. I don't know what it is but I don't have the best feeling about him. Thinking Michigan or ND could swoop him up (unfortunately)

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

You might be right, but i'm not overly confident about him picking Ohio State. It's the same feeling I had with Mike Gesicki.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

buckeyeguy0615's picture

Same. Idk why people are talking like he's a lock

-1 HS
Hayze's picture

Who is saying he's a lock? People think we might get him, but I don't know anyone saying he's a lock.

+1 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

I believe I've seen it thrown around on here a couple times in one of the many Hilliard threads. And there have been others saying "he's all buckeye."

Danify's picture

I believe it more wishful thinking than an general fact.

+3 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

Don't know if it's rumor or not, reports out of ND , Web Sites and fans is that ND and Kelly rocked Hausmann's World !!!

It's said 2016 TE Hausmann will be back in South Bend with his parents and a sister to take a full tour of campus and closer look at ND academics....

Like I said, it's not confirmed. Might be a troll job. Might not. This kid was supposed to be a Big Buckeye fan with OSU alumni for parents and a sister at OSU. If true, this isn't good.

I did see a pick of Justin Hilliard wearing ND Jersey for a pick, but thats nothing special. We have a few of those hear at Ohio St. to recruits that didn't commit!!

I have no doubt at all Kelly did whatever is in his power to keep the Cinncy GCL pipeline intact.

After all Notre Dame didn't pick a coach thats familiar with Cincinnatti recruiting for nothing. In the past they went as far as hiring a Moeller HS Football Coach -Jerry Faust. What a mistake that was, lol.

Believe me, Cincinnatti/GCL recruits are not something Kelly can afford to be taken for by Urban Meyer and Ohio State.

So like I said, Kelly probably rolled out 5 red carpets, probably gave them foot rubs, promised the best of everything, from dorms to teachers to , well just name it. This was a major reason he was hired. Because he was a good coach that could recruit the southwestern Ohio GCL

With all this , ND-Ohio St. recruiting rivalry is at a fever pitch right.

Hope are Cincinnatti, Ohio Buckeyes come to Ohio State instead of  leaving for Notre Dame.

Ohio State needs to win one of these for a change. With Franklin locking down alot of the recruiting foot print of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and the Delmarva,.. Urban needs to work some magic in Ohio. Especially next year with the talent in Class "Sweet 16'"

Hilliard is a crucial recruit, more than just a top LB, he is a recruiting statement and victory for the Univ. of OHIO STATE, imho.

"The Past Builds the Future"

-2 HS
Nutty's picture

Kelly rocked Hausmann's World

Not really sure I even want to imagine what that would involve. Honestly, Kelly just gives me the creeps.

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

Dad wants ND. Mom wants what Justin wants, although she had a really good time at ND. Justin claims he will not commit on a visit because it needs thought after a visit and a recruit that does is caught up in the moment. Those are not exact words but the meaning is the same so I expect it to go until next weekend. Of course I hope he gets caught up and commits to us.

+2 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

How do you know this?

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

read some of his interviews with other schools for the last 5 or so months.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I recall reading the same thing re: committing. I think it was actually an 11W article. He was saying something to the effect of wanting to make a good, responsible, final decision rather than just getting caught up in the emotion of a visit b/c you love pretty much every place you visit.

Woodshed's picture

I think he was asking "how do you know that?" about his parents' opinions on his choices.

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

ND reporters and fans were very excited when she went on a recent visit with Justin and figured it was the missing element in puling him from OSU especially after she had a great time. They feel with the recent commitments of Elijah Taylor and Nick Coleman, both of who have ties to Justin, that it might works in their favor. Plus they have the catholic thing going for them but most still think it is a coin toss.

buckeyedude's picture

So much for not going public.

If true, this would be the mother of all gray boxes, if we still had gray boxes, that is.

woodi19's picture

I do not have a good feeling about this one ...

Poison nuts's picture

Why?

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+3 HS
Groveport_Buckeye's picture

The folks at TOSU are VERY confident that Hilliard commits this weekend. We shall see.........

+1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Raekwon got him on lock.

+5 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

Meyer and Kwon get the last shot at him. That's a good place to be.

+4 HS
Murph32's picture

Two words "VONN BELL"

+6 HS
KBonay's picture

Don't need this stress.....

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

I know, I keep punching f5 to see if has committed to us.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Crawford says it's done deal. But of course he does. We all would. We'll see. It will certainly sting the staff and some of the players after all the visits and how close it appears he has become with McMillan. But, let's be honest about one thing - he probably, not definitely, starts earlier at ND. 

However, he will develop into a better collegiate and hopefully NFL LB at OSU, IMO. Either way, best of luck to him, as I always want all Ohio kids to succeed. (I even hope that Ohio kids who go to *ichigan succeed, just not while they're in college.)

-1 HS
Woodshed's picture

The article I read says that Crawford hopes and thinks he will pick ND. Not that it is a done deal. 

Where did you read this?

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Just the impression I got. Sorry if I over sold it.

305Buck's picture

Per Steve Wiltfong, ND staff feels its 50/50 for Hilliard which is very well, seeing as how he still will be in Columbus today and tonight. He had Ohio State leading going into the weekend, but ND is definitely still in the race. Doesn't seem like he thinks ND did much to pass Ohio State in his mind.

Hilliard is on his way to Columbus as we speak.

+5 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

If you think your chances are 50/50, your chances are less than 50/50

+9 HS
allinosu's picture

Both sides feel about the same.

+1 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

The joys of following recruiting.... I wonder what the staff has up their sleeves for him this time.

jamesrbrown322's picture

IMO, if Hilliard goes ND, Harris still might go somewhere else. But if Bucks land Hilliard, I think they get Harris, Burrell, and Jefferson before the season starts. May even convince Baker to move up his date, although I am assuming OSU will save space for Baker, no matter when he decides.  

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

What about Cornell?

jamesrbrown322's picture

Iunno really. I was just guessing based upon kids who've had a positive relationship with OSU for a long time.

If Hilliard becomes a Buckeye, so will Cornell.

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
Woodshed's picture

Judging by Cornell's actions, comments, etc. I think he is a buckeye regardless.

+3 HS
Buckster's picture

Each kid really decides what's best for them.

Where they want to go.

+3 HS
AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

I always wonder what possibly could be different each and every visit for the same recruit. Other than things to physically see and do at a college visit, how do coaches "roll out the red carpet" to these players?

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

Type in Notre Dame recruiting invasion and see Hilliards red carpet treatment.

Woodshed's picture

That's the truth.

Hilliard has been to OSU, ND, and mich so many times that nothing new is going to be shown to them. Extra trips only allow relationships (players, coaches, etc) to be further developed.

I am the eternal pessimist, but in this case I think he has known for a while, is just enjoying the process, is fulfilling promises, and developing relationships.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I think every visit is 100% like He Got Game.

+1 HS

Man I'll be sweating updates on his visit in the Bus. This is a huge player in the game we call "crootin". Kid is a natural and a leader that others look up too. People want to act like one player doesnt make a difference but sometimes they do. What if we were to lose out on Hilliard and then Cornell and Harris. Do you honestly think three 5* players wouldnt make a difference at impactful positions? Hilliard is a very important player in this  "Game of Thrones" Hopefully he gets the red carpet laid out and treated like a Bannister while here.

-2 HS
305Buck's picture
+13 HS
BuckeyeLuv's picture

Let the EXCITEMENT begin!! 

Always BuckeyeLuv!

+3 HS
bukyze's picture

Hopefully the square brackets after #BuckeyeNation soon becomes B [] [] [] [] [] []  []  M !

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

If He becomes a Buckeye there will be a Major Nuclear. "BOOM"!!!!!!'

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS