Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Where do we go at TE now?

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture
June 19, 2014 at 5:04pm
61 Comments

Missed on Hentges and Clark... Where do we go now? I know Boykin is still out there. I think we should offer Conrad too. I'm hoping Noah Brown grows a little more and can play TE. 

Seattle Linga's picture

We go to the Mattresses !!!!!!!!

Hope y'all get that reference

+10 HS
buckskin's picture

Love to see the Godfather reference mixed in with Buckeye sports.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Checked with the wife and she said its a no go. I guess her end hasnt been tight since freshman year at tOSU.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+19 HS
Colerainbuck's picture

I think I know her....

+7 HS

Funny because you actually might considering we live in Colerain.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
WesPatterson23's picture
+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

we go back to Clark after Michigan implodes this season

+9 HS

Teddy is correct. Hoke loses his job before signing day and Mr.Clark has  some serious life choices to make.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Offer Conrad. OSU>>>>>>>>Kentucky. If his pride doesn't allow him to see that, it's his loss.

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

^^^ This should have happened a long time ago. 

-1 HS
Jordan Wagner's picture

I'll discuss this in part of my article tomorrow. 

sivaDavis's picture

But Jorrrdaaannn I wanna know nowwwww!

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

IMO, they should do everything they can to get the two kids from Ohio next year, and maybe try and convert someone on the roster into a TE.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Wasn't Josh Moore from Kansas offered? I am guessing it wasn't a committable offer at the time but maybe now it becomes committable? If we take both Hausmann and Farrell in '16 we have Vannett and Baugh after JH leaves and guys like Brown, Greene & Hubbard who could conceivably convert to TE do we really need a TE in this class?

+2 HS
trigg03's picture

There is no use in offering a kid who will never be capable of seeing the field so don't waist the schollie on a subpar TE...use it on another position group or take the 2 kids next year (the Moeller kid and the Perry kid)

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

So a kid who has been offered by Auburn, Florida State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Missouri and possibly Ohio State is sub par??? I love it how we get hung up on the "star rating" system. SMH

+2 HS
trigg03's picture

I don't even know who you're talking about? I didn't make that statement towards anyone in particular. But If you're talking about Boykins...IMO he would be a bigger threat at WR then TE

305Buck's picture

I don't understand why people keep saying Hubbard can be a TE. This guy has all the tools to be a beast at LB, leave him there.

Get Hausmann and Farrell next class, and maybe Oliver, Pickard, Moore, or Clark when Hoke gets fired in this class, and call it a day

+7 HS
Gray Box's picture

Kyle Oliver is a name that should be pretty high on Ohio State's list now that Clark is a _ichigan commit.

Kyle Oliver was at Ohio State/Ohio NFTC. He doesn't currently hold an Ohio State offer, but that could change. His home state school Tennessee is showing a lot of interest lately too. Oliver posses that rare tight end size, but wide receiver speed and abilities.

Kyle Oliver - 2015 | TN | TE | Jr. Highlights:

+3 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Oliver was offered by Tennessee today. 

Gray Box's picture

Oliver also looks good in a Buckeye uniform:

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Maybe if we actually USED our tight ends (as promised), they would come here.

+9 HS
Canukbuck's picture

Bingo, Rill Dill ..... The old expression, "Use it or loose it" seems appropriate here .... Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc ... all use their TE's far more than OSU, so the kid made a good choice for his career.  The fact that he'll never win a game against OSU, or sniff a Big Ten title, or win a Bowl game is just a by-product of his decision.

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Last I checked Heuerman had 466 yards receiving which was more receiving yards then any PSU or TSUN TE. Also if you wanna use the Funchess argument he was labeled as a TE but he played WR. 

+15 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Old memes die hard Otrain.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The whole "Funchess = tight end?" thing is similar to Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates, and being used in a role like that is probably more appealing than how we use our tight ends. I can't recall putting Heuerman or Vannett anywhere but on the end of the line or in the backfield as an H-back.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

The Rill Dill's picture

That does not mean he was USED more.

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

Heuermann had more receptions than any MSU TE, by about 10 receptions. He had more percentage of plays with him making a play than most TE in the B1G, why? because take into the account of how much less this offense throws and Heuermann (and Vannett too) actually catch more balls than at least 4 other B1G offenses. They are USED, it just gets over shadowed by the amount of use Hyde and Braxton get. Its easy for North Carolina TEs to look like the top option, THEY HAVE NO OTHER GOOD PLAYERS!

and people need to realize that USE isn't strictly how many receptions they get. Ohio State TEs are apart of the best rushing offenses in the country right now. If you want to be a quality TE, you have to know how to block. Because many, and I mean many, of these TE recruits (Clark, Hentges) are NOT even close to the same caliber as Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates. Add in the fact that both of those guys were former college BASKETBALL players.

soon TEs will realize that and find out that most NFL TEs have to be good at run blocking as well! Just watch when Ebron becomes another Kellen Winslow!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

clogan1032's picture

Heuerman was 14th in yards last year and had the best average of yards per reception in that group. Funchess and Pedersen had more yards from the B1G. Pedersen had 85 more yards and 1 less td then Heuerman, while Funchess had 114 more yards and 2 more touchdowns. Not like they are  way behind in tight end usage. Obviously we all would like to see more utilization here but it isn't like we aren't using the position. 

+2 HS
clogan1032's picture

And by 14th that is in all of FBS. 

sharks's picture

Clark might be this year's Anzalone, so let's wait and see.  Meanwhile, get Baugh some extra reps.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, it's not as if OSU is gonna give up just because Clark verbaled somewhere else. Also, he'll catch hell for 4 years if OSU lands Burrell, Hilliard, and Harris. They'll never let him forget it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+2 HS
osu407's picture

If we land Hilliard and Cornell I'm going to laugh the first time one of them tackles Clark in The Game. 

+2 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

Don't be surprised if Clark never signs with Michigan. I still think OSU & Penn State are still in play?

Ed Hopper

+3 HS
hetuck's picture

Nick Conner in short yardage. Otherwise, get the plethora of four wide outs on the field. Spread 'em out and create natural seams for Elliott, Samuel, Dunn, Ball, et al. 

I'd rather take an additional four-star offensive or defensive lineman than a marginal TE. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Nick Conner plays TE? Huh?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

hetuck's picture

He's got the size and desire to get on the field. Lots of LBs move to TE. The ability to deliver short yardage blocks isn't difficult to learn. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

TCOB_6's picture

If Mike Vrabel can play LB for the Patriots and check in at TE on short yardage plays, I see no reason Ohio State couldn't do the same with one of their guys. Meyer is obviously recruiting guys that have the athletic ability.

MAVBuck's picture

and a little FB as well. We'll see how that translate at the next level though.

Becool12's picture

He can block, tackle, score the touchdown, snap the ball, hold the snap, and kick the extra point. Hell, the boy will fill up the gatorade cooler, walk the dog, and paint your back porch

+9 HS
bucks15's picture

........ AND HE CAN PASS!!!!

Like the Friday Night Lights reference there.

+1 HS
OfficerRabbit's picture

I like your line of thinking, but I raise you 6'3" Mike Thomas and 6'4" Jeff Greene. If we have receiving issues in the red zone, I'll be a mighty damned confused individual. 

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

He can block, tackle, score the touchdown, snap the ball, hold the snap, and kick the extra point. Hell, the boy will fill up the gatorade cooler, walk the dog, and paint your back porch

jamesrbrown322's picture

Torrence Gibson for TE! I bet Cardale could learn it!

buckeyedexter's picture

Sam Hubbard.  He's 6'6" and a great athlete and he could redshirt this year to learn the position.  Also, depending how this year finishes out I think the depth will be fine at LB.

Jugdish's picture

Well, that didn't take long.

Remember to get your wolverine spade or neutered. TBDBITL

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

Reading that tweet makes me want to temporarily become a Ramzy certified asshole. But I'm not and I loathe twitter so I am going to angrily sit here and drink my tea while saying "Harumph!"

+5 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Least he realizes they ain't going there

O'Deez330
stark county football

+4 HS
trigg03's picture

WHY NOT WISHAGIN??!!
Ummm...well...maybe because they SUCK for starters...the list of reasons could take up a lot of space

jamesrbrown322's picture

Well it's expected. It's what we'd want Hilliard, Harris, or any other future commit doing.

bethesdabuck's picture

I saw those crystal balls, too. Know anything about him?

KBonay's picture

Miles and Alex both CB'ed him to OSU.

Buck Commander's picture

We got Kwon da Truth in our corner crootin!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
osu407's picture

Crazy speculation:

Why not Jeff Greene?  He certainly has the height. 

otrain2416's picture

I think we just convert Meech to a TE who also is a pancake machine. 

+4 HS
OH_IO's picture

I'm ALL IN with this.

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

BuckinBama's picture

D.McNeal looks REALLY good catching and running, but I didn't see any blocking.

BroJim's picture

This kid is making poor life decisions.

I season my simple food with hunger

+5 HS
Findog5's picture

I want someone who wants to be a Buckeye. Not another Anzalone. Kid made his decision twice to UNC then MI.  We move on from Clark IMO. 

NCFinn

+3 HS