Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Multiple Teams Backing Off Gibson Because of "Red Flags?"

305Buck's picture
June 18, 2014 at 4:27pm
40 Comments

Auburn is now going after Lamar Jackson hard, and Francois, who canceled his Ohio State and Tennessee visits that he was supposed to take this week after visiting Auburn. Heard Auburn's staff likes them both just as much, if not more than Gibson.

We all know Ohio State has backed off, or Gibson has backed off Ohio State, one of the two.

Now a Tennessee staff member/insider on 247 thinks that they may start to back off as well, but he isn't sure yet...

This is pretty bad...

BuckeyeTrappedInSouth's picture

If true, this would be an epic fail for Gibson.

In Urban We Trust

+12 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

He might have to suck up his pride and go play WR for Marshall like Randy Moss did. Sometimes kids get too big for their britches way too fast and all they need is a quick reality check.If tOSU,Auburn,and Tennessee drop this kid then that would be Monumental considering the type of felons those sec schools are willing to take a gamble on.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Moss was at Florida State before he transferred to Marshall.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

He committed to Notre Dame before that...

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
703Buckeye's picture

He never was accepted at ND, they rejected his application after he got in a fight while in high school. He spent over a year at FSU before screwing that up.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

But he DID commit to them, as they were his dream school. After the fight, he was rejected. Then he basically kept his nose clean at FSU for a year, before getting in trouble a few weeks before he could have actually play for a big time school. Chad Pennington is thankful, that's for sure...Crazy route to the NFL, but the best college WR I've EVER seen! He was AMAZING as a return man too!

+2 HS
rbesr's picture

ND rejected his application and made the comment that it looked like an 8th grader had filled it out. Story around Rand WV is that his little sister filled out the form. A failed drug test while on probation for beating a kid half to death got him removed from FSU. He went to Marshall when one of the alumni paid his tuition before he got a schollie.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

From the Tennessee Insider:

"Honestly, I don't know what he's going to do right now. There's talk that a few teams are getting ready to bow out of the Gibson sweepstakes."

+8 HS
blocko330's picture

Thanks for the update 305 - I've enjoyed your insight lately.

+5 HS
otrain2416's picture

Ya this seems to be the case now. His attitude and discipline issues has not done him any favors. I guarantee that someone will take a shot at him with his incredible athleticism. 

Hovenaut's picture

I guess OSU staff have things under control...

Thanks for the updates 305.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

I have never seen a better athlete  playing H.S. football down here in my home state of Florida! Whether or not coach Meyer could have coached him up to play QB, I don't know? However, he could have coached him to be an All American wide receiver. I want to cry when I think of what could have been?  This kid is an Incredible Athlete!

Ed Hopper

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I don't wanna take too much heat for this but if it is true and all these teams are backing off him, wouldn't it be great for OSU to at least get him on campus. Address these red flags and see if they can make something work. Much like EGW and him having to be on his best behavior basically to not get his scholar pulled. A bad apple down in Florida might need a change of scenery. Ohio could do the trick. Some kids just need direction (some need One Direction.. BassDropper) to realize how important the next few years are. 

Obviously if these red flags are like BIG red flags that could get a school in trouble then nevermind. Just thought with that talent like his, all he needs is an attitude adjustment and maybe to get out of Florida. Maybe have a mentor: Coach Meyer, Herman, etc. 

The staff did stop communication with him earlier in the month so I guess it might be big. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Where there's smoke there's fire

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Has anything else questionable occurred since the suspension a few weeks back?

BassDropper's picture

I remember when I used to get called names when I said I would rather have Travis Waller because Gibson's maturity scared me. Didn't want another Pryor situation (don't get me wrong, I still love Pryor). As I stated in this thread  people would have felt differently about Gibson if he was committed to an SEC school, now that Gibson is no longer considering Ohio State (or dropping us...whatever) people are now starting to say the stuff I have been getting down voted for, for the past couple of months. Like Vico, I too hate our fans. If Jayru was committed to us after the security guard incident, I would bet my life that the majority would still be supportive of him, and try to find a way to blame the security guard. That's just the way this fan base works and why we are hated by the entire country. We are loyal to a fault, but once someone turns on us we go on full attack mode.

Rant over.

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
irishfury's picture

I disagree.  Its great to toot your own horn on things you where correct about but also face humility of the many things you have been wrong about as well (like how bad this class was going to end up).  Also the Jayru thing.  I have heard from people close to what happen that Jayru was targeted by the Security guard.  I'm a firm believer of if you run your mouth someone is going to pop you in the mouth.  Is what Jayru did right?  No.  But I think more to the story then has been let out.  This is why I refuse to bash Jayru.  He is a kid and made a mistake.  So even though he is not OSU bound I'm still supportive.  You can find my thoughts below on Gibson.  

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

Agreed. Some people in the buckshots go as far as calling the kid a pos. . .

I season my simple food with hunger

+2 HS
BAR43's picture

Really dont car if Jayru is a kid or if he was baited, what he did was messed up and deserves consequences. Im not hear to say the kid is a POS or anything, but I sure as hell wont overlook his action as if he was a 5 year old and didnt know better.

+4 HS
Klytus21's picture

I don't believe our fanbase is any worse than any other.  If you have a team worth caring about, there is going to be bias.  

NJBuck

irishfury's picture

I'm normally not one to judge kids.  They're young and should enjoy the process.  When I heard Burrows committed and Gibson called a recruiting site to move OSU from warmer to warm my spidey sense said this kid is not worth it.  Its a shame this kid could have been a leader of this class and had players follow him.  

I'm also sure he will end up at a top school and hopefully he learns from some of his mistakes.  

+3 HS
osu407's picture

In retrospect that call to change OSU's status is likely due to the fact that we had stopped recruiting him.

+3 HS
Klytus21's picture

Even if that is the reason, calling to change his status like that is immature and spitefull.  Just enjoy the recruiting process and choose the right school.  No more games.

NJBuck

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

He may be acting like a diva but he will end up at a big time school and most likely be a big time player. 

+4 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

He can make an impact at a mid major school or a smaller university also. IMO the young man might need to change the people he has around him-----a talent like that would be a shame to throw away. And we Buckeye fans know all to well about that. Hopefully someone can right his ship and get him to where he needs to be. Because if Tenn is gonna back off, then something is big time wrong.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Is Gibson set against playing any other position besides QB?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

OSU069's picture

Ya he is, For now. I bet if he goes to practice and he isn't good enough he will switch after a year to WR.

Ya he is,

This could be a reason teams are backing off.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-4 HS
Crimson's picture

He's said he's a QB from day 1.  This isn't new information, so it's not the reason schools are backing off.

+3 HS

Some coaches might have felt that once they got him on campus, they could change his mind.

KBonay's picture

At the end of the day, these are all still KIDS.  Man, I can't even begin to tell you the garbage I got into at their age.  Yeah, today, with Social Media and camera phones everywhere, it is near impossible to get away with anything.  But these kids are not doing much more then most of us were at that age.  They are just held to a higher standard.  The whole point of growing up is learning from your mistakes.  If these kids are repeat offenders, then maybe red flags should pop up.  But I am not too concerned about a kid's character because of a scuffle in high school...

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

If it was just a typical mistake that all kids make, it would not make the school that was willing to pay $180,000 to get Cam Newton reset their targets and priorities. Maybe there IS more to the story, and maybe there ISN'T. As I have said before, I am more concerned with the kids that want to be, and hopefully will become Buckeyes.

No point in running the young man down. He did something stupid. People do stupid things. However, like it or not, as a recruit who relishes the spotlight, he's a big deal and under a microscope. He could have been quiet about his recruitment, and not danced in all of the attention. However, he chose to bring more focus onto himself. How many times have we heard people say it - if there are judgment issues at virtual any other position, that's okay. However, at QB, you need maturity and clear judgment.

I am sure that Gibson regrets what happened, and I certainly hope it does not curtail his dream of playing college football and receiving a degree. At this point, it is very unlikely that will happen at OSU, so let's move on. We've been dying for some commitments and something positive to talk about, so let's do that instead. Best of luck to Gibson at Tennessee. Perhaps he can return them to relevancy.

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

How about we focus in on our recent successes instead of Gibson, Gibson, Gibson. Just my two cents.

+4 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

That being said, 305 is killing it lately.

+5 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

+2 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Ain't nobody wanting no Diva!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

EDUGOON's picture

D I V A!!!!! With a Complex.....at 17 years of age......... I too would pass.

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Im actually happy about this. Ohio State doesn't need another diva...thats just asking for trouble. I understand Gibson is in high school, but his attitude keeps getting worse and he hasnt taken a college snap yet. IMO hes a bust, based on his attitude/demeanor

UFM_Renewal