Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

247 Article: OSU could finish with #1 Class

BayArea_Buckeye's picture
June 18, 2014 at 11:19am
30 Comments
Hovenaut's picture

Great.

Now what the hell are we supposed to gripe about?

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+19 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

Urban not firing Fickell of course.

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+7 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Well, it is only June and all.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

If they land the #1 class, but it is without Gibson, or Hilliard, or Emmitt Smith and Reggie White, someone will complain.

"Yeah we got the best class, bu so what? We needed Waller, SKL, and Gonzales and a kicker in this class. How can we win with just 2 four star QBs of the roster? I mean, remember all of those recruits that OSU missed out on early? Penn State is gonna KILL us!"

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

What a difference 10 days makes.

+6 HS
BroJim's picture

You said it!

I season my simple food with hunger

CincyOSU's picture

The only problem with using the class calculator is that it can't account for what happens with other schools and what recruits they pick up. Either way, I've never panicked once this offseason as Urban is a known closer and we have way too many top targets listing us as either their leader or one of their top 3-5.

-1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

And if you look at the 2016 class, with those prospects CB'd to us at 50% or more with at least 4 votes, we have 19 recruits with a total score of 303. Way way too early, and lots of focus on 2015, but 2016 could be something we have not seen before.

+4 HS
Otown Buckeye's picture

I'll bring the coffee

"because we couldn't go for three"

+2 HS
KINGBUCKEYE419's picture

Man that slow start turned into a bullet train. A Silver Bullet Train. With so many commits deciding soon June 2014 my be deserving of a nickname. I can't wait till February to see how it all turns out. I guess actual Football can keep me entertained until then. 

+3 HS
osu407's picture

I think the number two class is significantly more likely than number one given Saban's shenanigans. 

But in 2016, not even Saban can keep Meyer and the strong Ohio class out of the number one spot. 

305Buck's picture

Alabama wont have the #1 class this year. There aren't many more highly rated recruits out their considering them. Plus, there's a very good chance that SBB and Calvin Ridley both flip.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

As long as Shannon Terry is running 247, Bama will have the top class.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Yea, has nothing to do with the absurd amount of talent they pull in on a yearly basis...it's all because the owner grew up a Bama fan.

-1 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

247 is not biased and that's why I love the site. The way they have everything set up on it is great and I think they do very well in rating their recruits.

BucksFan2000's picture

Interesting stuff from Stewart Mandel.  The Rivals 2015 numbers are depressing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140618/big-ten-expansion/?eref=sihp

AndyVance's picture

Here's the trouble with Mandel's hypothesis, that the B1G is a "struggling football conference" due to population trends: you could make the argument that the SEC added A&M simply to unlock the fertile Texas recruiting grounds. And when you look at population trends, it's very difficult to make these sort of broad-brush comments without looking at the broader trends over a period of decades, not just a given handful of years. For example (emphasis is mine):

Between 1990 and 2000, the West experienced the most rapid population growth. The five states in the U.S. with the largest positive population change were all western states: Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and Idaho. Douglas County, Colorado, had the highest percent increase in population between 1990 and 2000. Despite overall net growth in the Great Plains states, many individual counties throughout these states actually experienced population declines.

So while states like Florida did see tremendous growth during that decade, the trend of the decade was a Western migration. 

Now, over the past decade, the South did grow by 14.3 million over the decade to 114.6 million people, while the West increased by 8.7 million to reach 71.9 million people—surpassing the population of the Midwest. According to the Census Bureau, the Midwest gained 2.5 million people, increasing that region’s population to 66.9 million, and the Northeast’s gain of 1.7 million brought that region’s population to 55.3 million.

Here is the big picture: Overall, the South and West accounted for 84.4 percent of the U.S. population increase from 2000 to 2010, an increase from their 77.0 percent share of the total change from 1990 to 2000. If you assume that a significant portion of that increase occurred due to some amount of immigration, this also makes sense, as the South and West are natural landing points for immigrants from a variety of countries.

All that said, why do writers like Mandel insist on focusing on how these trends mean the perpetual dominance of the Southeastern Conference? If anything, one could assume that teams like USC and Oregon should be competing on a higher level if the issue was solely population trends. But those trends do not tell the whole story - the football culture in the South more closely represents the football culture the Midwest was known for during the halcyon days of the Big Ten.

States like Florida, Georgia and Texas eat, sleep and breathe football the way we do here in Ohio, but unfortunately we can't say the same thing for every other state in the B1G. High school football elsewhere in the B1G footprint is not what it is in Ohio or Florida, and more's the pity.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Going to be an exciting summer in Buckeye land thats for sure. Hilliard seems like a big time catalyst right now. Lot of people are underestimating ND maybe just a tiny bit. They are also in on the big group of stars we all so joyfully covet.Once we lock up Hilliard this weekend the train will be rolling full force. If ND were to somehow pluck Justin out from under us things could get real interesting really fast for a handful of blue chippers we are in serious play for.I think it all works out in our favor and Meyer once again pounds home a top 3 class.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Woodshed's picture

Fwiw, ND is not in it for Clark (top 4)and is barely in it for Harris.

Groveport Heisman's picture

I've seen legitimate people state that ND is actually still in play for Clark and that they are also trying to pursue Harris as we speak. I hope what you say is true though. I really HATE losing top in state talent to those pricks.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Woodshed's picture

Clark's recently named top 4 did not include ND and I can't believe a school that has just started recruiting Harris has a legit shot.

just not buying it.

buckguyfan1's picture

When it's all said and done, it will be a hoot to go back and see the top 50 recruiting freak out posts. 

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

I'd fill up over half of the list

DIRECTIONER

+7 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Human nature my man. 

irishfury's picture

Well.  Even I was a little put off at the slow speed.  The one thing is Urban Meyer has won more football games and forgets more about Football in a day then I know.  He is also one of the best recruiters in the game.  You have to trust his record. 

GoBucksOSU's picture

This was a good read. Thanks for posting the link.

Seattle Linga's picture

The next few months are going to be HOT