Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

UK Commit Alex Stump?

sivaDavis's picture
June 16, 2014 at 4:01pm
51 Comments

Just saw that JC Shurburtt flipped his pick from UK to OSU for 2015 WR Alex Stump from St Edwards. Anything developing or just an opinion of his?

KB3RG's picture

Saw that as well. No idea as of now.

I did see that Stanford offered him last night as well. Might be seeing his stock increase and may be second guessing as better offers are incoming 

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

JC is off his rocker. No way we can compete with that SEC powerhouse in recruiting.

buckeyebobcat

+23 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

You forgot sarcasm font. 

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Good sarcasm does not need a font.

+25 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I've always preferred the sarcasm fart.

+14 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

This describes how the Heat played in the Finals.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+12 HS

Did he just get an offer from Ohio State?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

GregNJ's picture

No offer. They are saying Urban wants him to camp and then maybe get an offer. Alex wants offer with no camp. Suspect a flip once offer comes. 

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

No way we can match the atmosphere at Kentucky better move along

+16 HS
sharks's picture

If that blue was darker, I'd swear it was the Big House...

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+5 HS

No way we can match the atmosphere at Kentucky

Or the amount of wins per year.

toad1204's picture

But they once beat LSU when LSU was #1, says every UK fan I know.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

This one is interesting. I truly believe that if Stump would camp at OSU just one day he'd get an offer from the Buckeyes. He's that good. The question is whether or not OSU would offer without seeing him run in person, and I am not sure if they will. I know they've still talked with him a bit. 

In my mind there's no drop-off from Van Jefferson to Alex Stump, talent-wise, although Jefferson might be a more polished right now.

Woodshed's picture

I was going to say "I wonder if stump gets an offer either way if Jefferson goes elsewhere?"

lol

moopdawg's picture

I'm sorry if it has already been discussed, but does anyone know what's keeping Stump from camping at Ohio State?  Did he grow up a Buckeye fan? 

Katzfan's picture

Birmingham, what's going on with the Jefferson kid? I thought he was very close to committing a while back.  Has he softened on us or just taking his time?  Are we still considered his favorite?

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got nine guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time." -- Urban Frank Meyer  -- I LOVE THIS DUDE!! :)

+1 HS

Still think the Buckeyes are in good shape - just has a few remaining visits the family wants him to take.

Ludwig Yards's picture

Is this just a case of due diligence or is the family not sold on OSU? I think I may have read something hinting at the latter a while back but I don't recall for sure.

Just the family making sure they've seen all they need to see.

Ludwig Yards's picture

Cool, sounds good. Thanks.

sharks's picture

How long has it been since an Eagle went to OSU?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

DCNick's picture

I believe the last was Nate Oliver in 2007. He was a safety but only received significant time at OSU on special teams.

St. Eds has produced some great players for OSU. Tom Cousineau, Rodney Bailey and Alex Boone come to mind. They have at least 4 highly rated 2015 recruits. It would be good to develop a pipeline there but it hasn't happened.

Alex Stump did grow up an OSU fan. He also has brothers at OSU right now and loves the school. The Stanford offer is interesting because St. Eds tends to send athletes to schools with great academics. They have always sent a lot of guys to the Ivy League and other elite universities, like Northwestern. In 2011 they sent 5 guys to the Ivy League and 2 to Northwestern. The Dowell twins have already committed to Northwestern and Shaun Crawford started with Michigan and then switched to Notre Dame. Before his recruiting blew up this spring Stump had been offered by Harvard and Yale. Stanford would seem to make a lot of sense for him. I could see people at St. Eds encouraging him to give it a look.

Nutty's picture

I noticed both Harvard and Yale have "offered". I thought Ivy schools didn't offer athletic scholarships. Am I wrong? If not what exactly is an Ivy League offer mean? I thought it only meant they would get special consideration for admission and financial aid. Is that a Ivy League way to offer free rides without offering free rides?

-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I always assumed they offered partial scholarships. Because of how valuable a full ride would be.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well said - Education at Ivy schools can be priceless

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

Saw Stanford offered yesterday. I consider that a "big" offer. 

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

I'm not sure why this kid wouldn't camp at TOSU. uk football is laughable if we're being honest.

bodast67's picture

I am tired of people acting like The University of Kentucky doesnt turn out some great NFL prospects....

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+12 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

This. Is. Great. If I was ever going to rock an arm sleeve it would be this one. Classic!

+1 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I'm not sure there is a better cheesy team name for a lard ass QB to play, Incredible.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
Groveport_Buckeye's picture

Is that a nerf football?

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Hoke has a man-crush on Jared

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

God, some River Monster ate Jared Lorenzen. Yikes.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

WayCraKen's picture

That QB has more time in the NFL than TP, or any OSU or UF QB that I can remember in the last 10-20 years that I can remember. Jared was an awesome QB with a cannon. Just sayin. 

-2 HS

How many NFL games did he win? I can't remember watching him at all.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

KB3RG's picture

5 years in the NFL and his career stats in the NFL are 28 passing yards with 0 TD and 0 INT. 

as for quarterbacks that had a better career than him in the NFL from

Florida: Tebow, Shane Matthews, Wuerffel, Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer, Rex Grossman, Chris Leak

OSU: Pryor, Troy Smith, Hoying, Graham, Germaine, even Krenzel have had more success than him

+4 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Thank you kb3rg. 

Yea I figured as much. I mean look at the guy. Takes a ton of hard work to get into that kind of shape.

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Waycraken runs down the entrance ramp, picks up the Mic and drops some knowledge. Timmons comes down with a guitar in hand as Kentucky bluegrass music bellows from the rafters. Talking smack about Wildcats and the SEC. Just then glass breaks, Stone Cold's music kicks in as Urban 3:16 and Kwon rush in. Urban snatches the Mic and the crowd roars. "Finally, Urban has come back to KY to whip your roody-pooh candy asses". Kwon choke slams Timmons and Urban stuns Waycraken. Urban calls out Stoops before smashing the guitar in the center of the ring as beers fly in from the Spanish announcers booth.

+4 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Wonder how good he could have been if he had been in much better physical shape?

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

So just because Lorenzen was on a super bowl team riding the coat tail of Manning makes him a better QB than all of the above mentioned QBs who all threw for more yards and have played in more games than him. Lorenzen never even started a game in NFL.

I find this funny we are arguing about an awful QB. I would take any of the QB's I mentioned over him any day.

From Wikipedia, this is Lorenzen's NFL career 

2004- Undrafted FA

Lorenzen made his first appearance on the field in a Giants uniform on December 30, 2006. During this game, he was used for one play, a quarterback sneak to make a first down on a third-and-one.

Lorenzen made his second appearance on Sunday, January 7, 2007, in the Giants wild card loss against the Philadelphia Eagles. On the Giants opening drive, he lined up at quarterback on a third-and-one and got the first down, "shifting the pile" in the process, on the way to a Giants touchdown. He also entered the game in the third quarter but the Giants called timeout and Manning took over at quarterback.

Lorenzen's first significant regular season appearance occurred on September 9, 2007, when he took over for the injured Manning in the fourth quarter of the season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.[11] Lorenzen made both his first regular season pass and rush, but failed to earn a first down. He did not see further action in the 2007 season, because Manning's injury did not cost him any further playing time.

Lorenzen was released by the Giants on June 23, 2008.

On July 24, 2008, Lorenzen was signed by the Indianapolis Colts. He was waived during the final cuts for the 53-man roster.

+3 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Not Pryor, chunky monkey Jared.

WayCraKen's picture

Thank you Buckestu

+1 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

Waycraken, why are you even here? Shouldn't you be hanging out on a Kentucky site?

-5 HS

WayCraKen's picture

Hopefully we offer Stump.  His film is great. He tore Lattimore and EGW up. So he already showed what he can do against top talent. Good size and speed and best player on the best team in Ohio. 

+1 HS