Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

This topic came up between me and some friends

305Buck's picture
June 16, 2014 at 12:55pm
21 Comments

How would you all feel if Ohio State claimed a national championship in 2012 the way Auburn is claiming a National Championship in 2004 and 1993? 1993 Auburn went undefeated but had a bowl ban, 2004 there were 3 undefeated teams and Auburn got left out the title game. USC then went on to win but they now have vacated the title due to NCAA violations.

Me personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it because, Alabama wouldn't have been there if not for Ohio State's bowl ban. Plus, does anyone have any doubts that we wouldn't have beaten Notre Dame?

brandonbauer87's picture

I'd rather lose it on the field than win it on paper. 

+34 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

This. Because I could spend 20 years searching for a better way to put it and never say it better. Excellent.

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Very well put.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

jamesrbrown322's picture

This. Is. AWESOME!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Bucks1's picture

Personally, I don't think teams on a ban should have any claim.  I prefer we win titles on the field.  However, I am sure some would disagree.

"I will pound you and pound you until you quit." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
305Buck's picture

Yeah I prefer to win it on the field as well, but I wouldn't have a problem if they decide to claim it. The problem I have with teams who claim titles, is teams who claim titles based on a poll that wasn't even out during the season that the title game was played in (Alabama), or teams who claim titles when they got beat by the team that won the title (Alabama again).

buckguyfan1's picture

Take the punishment and win one(or 2 or 3) down the road.  I believe that is the approach Urban is designing.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

The problem is when someone or some entity lays claim to something they have no authority to do so, that is what Auburn has done.

Just because one university has done it doesn't make me believe we should too.

Whether or not it is fair, we were banned in 2012 and not eligible. For us to claim the title just reeks of arrogance. 

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

Does the NCAA recognize the championship? That should be the standard. Ever wonder about the 1970 championship? For you yewts (My Cousin Vinny reference), bowl games used to be thought of as exhibitions and a reward for a successful season. The Macarthur Foundation picked their champion in December and is recognized by the NCAA. That was awarded before the Rose Bowl loss to Stanford. 

There's another reason bowl games weren't considered: Notre Dame didn't go to bowls until 1970. 

There is no way Auburn should claim a championship in the BCS era. If Auburn doesn't play the Citadel in 2004, they probably get the pick over Oklahoma. Will the SEC be burned in the future for playing FCS schools? That remains to be seen. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Fairly sure the NCAA doesn't deal with the FBS title (i.e. there is no NCAA FBS National Title). Notice how the national title trophy is completely different in football than it is in the other sports that have the standard 'NCAA' version of a championship trophy. 

hetuck's picture

There is no official NCAA champion, but there is an NCAA-recognized list. Check the national championship listing in the OSU Press Guide and you will see the reference. It used to be AP, UPI, and MacArthur Foundation, IIRC. 

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

Correction: National Football Foundation, not MacArthur. 

Vince Lombardi

FROMTHE18's picture

No thanks. Those programs down in the SEC have their heads so far shoved up their own asses that they don't even know how ridiculous this type of stuff is. Alabama has claimed some very suspect titles in its history as well as a few other SEC programs. If thats how they want to play ball, let them sell lies to naive high school players, but when it comes down to it, its illegitimate.

+2 HS
e135800's picture

I'd say leave the silly hypothectical crap in the $EC

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The only way I'd be comfortable with claiming the 2012 national title is if OSU had beaten Alabama during the regular season, and that was Bama's only loss going into the title game, with them of course winning the title game.  Unfortunately, OSU did not play Alabama, Notre Dame, or really any team that was near the caliber of those two teams that played in the BCSNCG that year.  If OSU would've played Notre Dame in the title game, I think OSU would've wiped the field with them, but there's a reason that they play the games, and they didn't get the chance due to the dumbass NCAA.  Now, I'm perfectly comfortable with OSU claiming that they're the real 2012 Big Ten champions, because though they didn't play in the B1GCG, they beat both teams that did and went unbeaten in the league.

1993 Auburn should definitely not be allowed to claim the title.  I do have more sympathy for 2004 Auburn, because it can be argued that they did get the shaft from the BCS.  They did go undefeated and did win their bowl game, so they did everything they could possibly do to earn the right to be a national champion.  So did USC.  That's why USC should've played Auburn a week after USC beat Oklahoma and Auburn won the Sugar Bowl.  That's why we have a playoff now.  The BCS was designed to work when there was a clear cut top 2 - like Nebraska and TTUN in 1997, or Texas and USC in 2005, or OSU and Miami in 2002.  Ultimately, however, even though the system was flawed, it was still the system in place, so you can't just go claiming titles now just because things didn't go your way in that system.

Class of 2010.

Byaaaahhh's picture

Let's not sink to SEC tactics. Come on.

Citrus's picture

Because the system in 2012 was a championship game format; IE 1 v 2 for the title, we have no claim to a NC that year. Otherwise, it is simply a game of hypotheticals. 

In the 2004 scenario, Oklahoma has more of a claim on the NC than does Auburn. 

Also, Auburn's own logic contradicts itself. 

1993 = even though we were banned, we still should be champs 
2004= another school was banned so we should be champs (OK vacated but same difference) 

+1 HS
LoveTheeND's picture

Excellent point about the contradictory logic to their claims!

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Like brandon said above...what use does Ohio State have with paper titles. It woukd be one thing if the AP vote came in with our buckeyes at number 1. But it didnt..because of backlash from tatgate and a soft NC schedule and paper thin B1G. Best to leave it as it lies and go claim a title rightfully on the field this year.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Auburn is the the absolute last program that Ohio State should aspire to emulate.

+3 HS